mod chips

does anyone know of any mod chips for the ps2 that don't require disassembly and/or soldering? if not, has anyone installed a mod chip to play foreign titles; and with what success or complications? thanks.

stromy: none that i know of, there is one with a one wire soldering. (never tried it, but i knwo its out there.)

sk8rkid: it allows a us ps2 to play european and japanese games, and vise versa if installed in another region console.

basically in simpler terms it removes the territorial lock out.

I made a thread about this awhile back. There is a couple that dont require you solder but you have to have a certain version of PS2 to use them. I forget but look somewhere like www.modchip.com or something like that.

There is only one No solder mod chip and it's only available depending on the version of your PS2. You will still have to dissassemble your PS2 though. (Which isn't an easy task with newer versions.)
I umm..... know "a friend" that modded theirs... ;)

And I do know that this "friend" only did it to play GT3 concept and swore never to do it again. (up AND down.) ;)

Originally posted by Ruffryder27
Doesn't this carry the risk of damaging your ps2 after it has been installed?

Anytime you open a piece of electronic equipment and tamper with it with a soldering iron you run the risk of destroying your PS2 (or whatever)
The Soldering needed for the PS2 is not for the meek, it's like trying to attatch a hair to the point of a pin without going over the edge with solder because there are tracks everywhere that can't be connected or they will kill your PS2.

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
There is only one No solder mod chip and it's only available depending on the version of your PS2. You will still have to dissassemble your PS2 though. (Which isn't an easy task with newer versions.)
I umm..... know "a friend" that modded theirs... ;)

And I do know that this "friend" only did it to play GT3 concept and swore never to do it again. (up AND down.) ;)

So have you.....umm....your friend (sorry) finished GT Concept?

Originally posted by vat_man

So have you.....umm....your friend (sorry) finished GT Concept?

Actually... this "friend" unlocked most of it, but got side tracked by a little game called Automodellista. In answer to your next question, it's good. Kind of like a arcade oriented GT3 with Cel shaded graphics and only 6 tracks. Lot's of stuff to unlock, I can't wait to buy it when it comes out here (and is in English)

I have a nero 2.2 allowing me to play pirate ps2 games with the help of a boot disk named dvdx and I can play any regional dvd and pirate dvd films that is all

the best chip is the messiah it can do everything play imports games play pirate games pirate and imported dvds import and pirate playstation games its all selfboot

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Actually... this "friend" unlocked most of it, but got side tracked by a little game called Automodellista. In answer to your next question, it's good. Kind of like a arcade oriented GT3 with Cel shaded graphics and only 6 tracks. Lot's of stuff to unlock, I can't wait to buy it when it comes out here (and is in English)

I saw some preview video of Automodellista at EB yesterday - it looks like a Japanese cartoon!

I doubt this one's for me - umming and ahhing over F355 Challenge at the moment. I've got a few to trade at the moment, so I might do a cheapie. Anyone played it yet?

Originally posted by bigwhlkid
would an electronic repair palce solder the chip in for you? (like a sony repair store)

just go to any electronic repair shop or tv shop and they'll solder it for ya. I got a tv repair man to solder mine on my PSX(not PS2)

didn't even cost me a penny

Originally posted by viper_maniac
Can I get a solderless modchip for my PS2 model: SCPH-39001?

What's the Serial Number and how many screws are on the bottom?

honestly, is it worth it go get a mod chip? I mean, the only benefit is to play imports. Playing burnt games isn't too cost-effective b/c the disks and the dvd burners cost so much...

Never had a console modded myself, as there are no Japanese games that I liked :cd:

I have thought about it for the shear savings in games
dollar.gif
, but I kinda like having the genuine article especially for :gt:, GTA?

Back