[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
Not meaning to be rude or be overly critical, as I find the progress of this mod amazing, but I need to make one question regarding its objective:

What is the point of adding, let's say, "cut GT90 and Pronto Spyder colors", if you're going to remove others due to them being fictional? Because, in all honesty, I totally miss the point of adding a red/black/blue GT90 (purely fictional, which is likely why it was axed in the first place) and then removing a bunch of Skyline colors because Nissan never offered them.

Checking the changelogs of the patch... that's the only case of color removal actually. ^^'
The R31 GTS-R has had its white, silver, and red removed because they weren't available on the GTS-R but on other trims.
According to this source, "all production GTS-Rs were painted Bluish Black (Code BG8)". So that would explain the removal.
If down the line we are able to make new 3D meshes from scratch, we'll be able to make, say the Skyline GTS-X or whatever other trip came with those White/Silver/Red colors and put it in the game.

Not meaning to be rude or be overly critical, as I find the progress of this mod amazing, but I need to make one question regarding its objective:

What is the point of adding, let's say, "cut GT90 and Pronto Spyder colors", if you're going to remove others due to them being fictional? Because, in all honesty, I totally miss the point of adding a red/black/blue GT90 (purely fictional, which is likely why it was axed in the first place) and then removing a bunch of Skyline colors because Nissan never offered them.

I totally agree, I wish to keep the extra gts-r colors. And if pd was removing the extra fictional colors, then why did they leave the gts-r colors?

Checking the changelogs of the patch... that's the only case of color removal actually. ^^'
The R31 GTS-R has had its white, silver, and red removed because they weren't available on the GTS-R but on other trims.
According to this source, "all production GTS-Rs were painted Bluish Black (Code BG8)". So that would explain the removal.
If down the line we are able to make new 3D meshes from scratch, we'll be able to make, say the Skyline GTS-X or whatever other trip came with those White/Silver/Red colors and put it in the game.

Id still prefer to have the extra colors.

With texture modding, which will be a little tricky to make it look correct, but... we can utilize the gts-r mesh to make the r31 gts autech. Ver. Which is rare! Video of one posted on youtube by wasabi cars!

And as a bonus:

I am a huge fan of his videos and the cars he shows!

No worries, absolutely happy to have comments and discussions on my directorial intent with the mod.

Generally, for any real cars I'm aiming towards the choice of colours that were actually offered by the manufacturer. The GT90 and Pronto Spyder ingame however are more or less fictional - the GT90 never ran at anywhere near the level of performance in the game, nor did the Pronto, PD basically invented physics for what were rolling show cars in order to fulfil the ballpark manufacturer estimates. Anything like this I'm happy to go for variety over authenticity, as they're not authentic to begin with. Fictional GT90s in other colours have been a thing for decades too (I had a licensed model of one in black as a kid), so it's something that Ford already had as an idea for a production car.

I'm not however adding the fictional / inaccurate cut colours back to other real roadcars either, like the purple Xsara or orange 270R. For a few other examples of real cars ingame with possible colour changes, and my thoughts on which way to go:
  • I was borderline on the Lister Storm, but it's nigh on impossible to find what Lister actually offered as a selection, and some of the cars have been repainted multiple times, so I included them anyway.
  • The Mazdaspeed AZ-1 was an upgrade package, so no limits on colour choice, hence blue is restored.
  • The Vipers don't have a specific year ingame so I'm happy for them to be a generic '97-'99.
  • The E55 is borderline - I researched the colours and found evidence for most of them, but the unnamed E55 colours in alpha 3 will likely be removed in alpha 4 unless anyone can find photos of them.
  • The Cappuccino won't be having any cut colours re-added as they're from the '91 car instead of the '95 ingame.
  • The WRX STi v3 won't be having Sports Blue re-added as it wasn't offered on that specific model.
  • The DB7 won't be getting its yellow paint back as it wasn't part of the standard range.
However, a decent number of these cut colours may be re-added as fictional Special Colour variants, on top of the deliberately fictional colours from GT1 (and some other versions of cars that are planned).

For the Skyline GTS-R specifically, one of the notable things about the real car is that it was only ever sold in Bluish Black, hence cutting the other colours. I was in two minds about it, which is why it's only done in the Complete version rather than as a bug fix like the other accuracy changes. The plan long term is as suggested above, to modify those colours into an accurate GTS-X model exclusive to that version, rather than losing them entirely.

Understood. Thank you for the comprehensive answer!

Now for something not as interesting, do you have plans of eventually adding the Arcade Mode specs for the currently body-only "rally cars" like the older Celicas and Evos? It'd be similar to the D-Rights cars, which inherited the specs from the tests they appear in.

If possible, maybe - the parts for them aren't in the GT mode data file, which is used for most cars on both discs, so I eventually need to explore how Arcade mode works. I presume the Arcade data file has parts for only the pre-selectable Arcade cars in the same way that the license data file only has parts for the license cars, but I'd need to map out the data structures in that file first. Tools-wise it shouldn't be too hard to at least get a dump of any useful data to port over, the disc space cost is virtually nil to do so, and it'll literally be a copy and paste job. Depending on the stats they could become prize cars, otherwise potentially some like the Familia could be expensive used cars, with the rest just a gift to Gameshark users.

Okay I haven't tried this mod yet (don't have PAL), but one thing I wonder is with this mod, why do you need to create a new save to work with it and why does a normal save not work?
Now for something not as interesting, do you have plans of eventually adding the Arcade Mode specs for the currently body-only "rally cars" like the older Celicas and Evos?
Yes! Honestly nothing would thrill me more than seeing those cars from arcade mode with their proper parts. Not just those cars, but any other body only cars that have existing parts somewhere.

Depending on the stats they could become prize cars, otherwise potentially some like the Familia could be expensive used cars, with the rest just a gift to Gameshark users.
Spec-wise they shouldn't be anything out of this world (if their stated power is accurate), so it wouldn't be too bad for them to stay as hidden cars. If they were to be normally obtainable, however, maybe have them as prize cars for the higher level rally events?

Hi, I installed this mod on a clean iso of the pal version of GT2 simulation mode. I'm running it on a ps vita, the game starts and I can see certain changes you have made however it freezes on certain cars and certain menus, the used car market is one. Any idea why it's freezing? The iso is fine because it doesn't freeze without the mod installed.

It has been mentioned that the PSP's PS1 emulator has issues with it - I've not looked into it as the mod is still an alpha. There's no guarantee it'll run on anything in particular, especially not an emulator inside another emulator. Investigating compatibility with as many platforms as possible is something that will happen later on when the amount of content is more stable, otherwise I'll just be hunting issues every time I change something big.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try the iso see if that freezes on the same screen as the eboot. Will report back, and let you know if I find out why it's freezing. Thanks for your work on this btw, GT2 is still the best game in the series imo.

Sure, happy to have people reporting issues even if they don't get fixed yet. That's the point of the early release, to get plenty of testers.

Now for something not as interesting, do you have plans of eventually adding the Arcade Mode specs for the currently body-only "rally cars" like the older Celicas and Evos?

Back to this point, I've pulled apart the Arcade data tonight and it's a pretty boring outcome - they're just the stock cars with standard upgrades. For example, the following build in GT mode is an exact replica of the Familia Rally Car other than the name:
Familia GT-R '92
Racing Modification
Chip
Engine Balancing
Port Polishing
Race Exhaust
Race Intercooler
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Racing Hard Tyres

No transmission or suspension upgrades, just a RM, slicks, and some power parts. The equipped upgrades are identical in stats to GT mode too.

Back to this point, I've pulled apart the Arcade data tonight and it's a pretty boring outcome - they're just the stock cars with standard upgrades. For example, the following build in GT mode is an exact replica of the Familia Rally Car other than the name:
Familia GT-R '92
Racing Modification
Chip
Engine Balancing
Port Polishing
Race Exhaust
Race Intercooler
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Racing Hard Tyres

No transmission or suspension upgrades, just a RM, slicks, and some power parts. The equipped upgrades are identical in stats to GT mode too.
I've seen your explanation on tankuroded's server (SenaUW here :P). It's a shame there's nothing unique about them that'd make them interesting prizes, but at least that means one can replicate them with no extra GameShark intervention (only the body would be added via GS).

Hi, I've completed all the 5 Super Touring races and i've obtained 3 Tom's Supra and 2 TRD 3000GT, but i noticed that there is something wrong with the TRD.

One of the two looks normal but when i check in the garage the second one looks like this:
TRD3000GT.jpg

When i go RM i noticed that the RM colors thumbnails are from the Mazda RX-7 A-Spec LM Edition:
TRD3000GT RM.jpg

Has someone noticed it?

Hmm the invisible car happens when you get a color ID that doesn't exist or have any color data applied to it. Basically an invisible body.
There might be some index error somewhere?

It's still in development with the next release being relatively soon iirc. As for the US version you'll have to wait for now, sorry. Pez wants to have a properly working / glitch-free version before porting it to other regions.

is this awesome mod still updated? would love to see a patch for the us 1.0 (thats what i play the most)

I'm hoping to have alpha 4 out in a couple of weeks, I just need a bit of time to see if I can get a last few things in that may or may not be possible yet.

Alpha 3 very nearly had a US version release, and I've already fixed a couple of US-specific bugs, but there are just a few hitches that slow down applying it to the US disc (such as a different used car list, different car names, and a few less cars) so I didn't have time. Alpha 4 may or may not have a US version, I'm hoping to get the PAL Arcade disc patched next and we'll see if I have time to get it working on the US versions after that. Any US release of the mod should include the 1.1 and 1.2 updates in the patch too.

oh my god, better than expected, please, take your time, and make this game as the BEST gran turismo for the ps1 EVERRRRR Thx so much for your effort!

I'm hoping to have alpha 4 out in a couple of weeks, I just need a bit of time to see if I can get a last few things in that may or may not be possible yet.

Alpha 3 very nearly had a US version release, and I've already fixed a couple of US-specific bugs, but there are just a few hitches that slow down applying it to the US disc (such as a different used car list, different car names, and a few less cars) so I didn't have time. Alpha 4 may or may not have a US version, I'm hoping to get the PAL Arcade disc patched next and we'll see if I have time to get it working on the US versions after that. Any US release of the mod should include the 1.1 and 1.2 updates in the patch too.

the changelog has a error, "Castrol Supra GT: Restored white / blue, black / green and black / blue colours from GT1." its not avilable in the colors

It is on my end. All 4 colors. Maybe you didn't get the lucky draw? (I used a buy any car cheat here btw, don't mind the 500k pricetag.)
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
It is on my end. All 4 colors. Maybe you didn't get the lucky draw? (I used a buy any car cheat here btw, don't mind the 500k pricetag.)
View attachment 767808

the hell....................!!! 1. i thought he mean the "toms supra" 2. where the .. do i find the car? :D

i only have the corrola, gt one and toms supra in the special section

Btw. if he could make more colors for the gt one road version.. i would totally love it :D (always wondered why no gold, black or blue modedl there is)

Back