[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,803 comments
I think Pisoj0012 meant this:
bandicam 2022-10-14 22-44-50-740.png

Hmm that must be due to the resolution then.
Textures on the minis haven't been touched as far as i'm aware so they're as they have always been.
Long parallel lines don't do well with very low res and i assume that's why

Last edited:
How I supposed to upgrade my save from game with older GT2+ version to newer? Or it doesn't necessary, only upgrade game? Still thinking to start playing latest USA version with this mod, then without it.

How I supposed to upgrade my save from game with older GT2+ version to newer? Or it doesn't necessary, only upgrade game? Still thinking to start playing latest USA version with this mod, then without it.
Saves are suitable for both the original and the mod.

Every time new content is added, it breaks save compatibility, so unfortunately it's not possible to migrate saves between different versions of the mod, in the same way that saves aren't compatible with the original game either. They will load, but all of the cars in the garage will be significantly broken. In theory, you can sell and re-buy / re-win all of your cars to avoid the problem, but that's probably even more effort than starting over.

Every time new content is added, it breaks save compatibility, so unfortunately it's not possible to migrate saves between different versions of the mod, in the same way that saves aren't compatible with the original game either. They will load, but all of the cars in the garage will be significantly broken. In theory, you can sell and re-buy / re-win all of your cars to avoid the problem, but that's probably even more effort than starting over.
I guess US 1.2 version still has a lot of work to do? Or it's patch almost finished?

I guess US 1.2 version still has a lot of work to do? Or it's patch almost finished?

The patch has the same fixes and content for all regions of the game. There is still content that can be added and minor things to fix, but each release of the mod is generally a polished and playable version. If you're looking to start playing GT2 now, the current version of the mod is a good place to start. The next release is probably going to be a good few months away at the soonest.

Since Submaniac recently fixed up a couple of Polyphony's unfinished models, I've found the time to set them up in the game properly.

First, the E36 BMW 323i:

e36-menu.png

This had some missing reflections, a dodgy exhaust, and bits of bodywork showing through each other, all of which Submaniac fixed. I then edited the badging from 320i to 323i, fixed the rear plate holder being particularly tiny, and equipped it with the optional Style 25 'Classic' 16" wheels that were so common on the mid-range E36. The physics were set up according to a 1998 brochure, and I tweaked the colour choices slightly to match another brochure.

e36-race.png

The E36 also appears as an opponent in a couple of relevant places, just to integrate it more neatly into the game.

e36-opponent.png

The other car to return is the Audi A4 Avant:

a4avant-menu.png

Submaniac sorted out the lack of reflections on most of the car, then I ported over two colours from the saloon version that the Avant was missing, and replaced a further four to match the saloon (presumably these colours were tweaked for accuracy late in development after the Avant was cut). The physics setup was actually very easy, as the saloon in vanilla GT2 is already using left-over Avant physics, which this mod fixes.

a4avant-race.png

As with the BMW, the A4 Avant shows up as an opponent in the one race series where it's most appropriate, bulking out a relatively short entry list.

a4avant-opponent.png

With these two in place, pretty much every salvageable and unique car model from the demo versions of the game has now been revived and finished. It also brings the mod right up close to the absolute limits of the amount of content that can be shovelled into the game without crashes. Any remaining cut cars like the Subaru Rex basically don't exist and would need to be created from scratch, and I would rather include content that was originally authored by Polyphony.

There is of course a lot more work to do on the mod outside of this, plenty of bug fixes to add, and there most likely will still be some amount of new content to come, but I'm happy to have reached the milestone of having brought back every car that we can. Cars like the A4 Avant and NSX-R GT1 Turbo were until quite recently thought to be impossible, and so accomplishing this has been a great team effort.

please allow the sileighty to drive in the 180sx silvia cup

It's on the to-do list.

Only my strategy to avoid start over from scratch when new content has added to unworrying save compatible, just to get rid or sell of abnormality car that brokes from update or new content added and re-buy /re-win the cars and all gold license plus only license car with update can be move to my save data via trade :)
I wish SSR11 will include too, but it’ll take or takes 20XX years to include the track that Sony left over the track :)

Hmm that must be due to the resolution then.
Textures on the minis haven't been touched as far as i'm aware so they're as they have always been.
Long parallel lines don't do well with very low res and i assume that's why
Yes thats exactly what i meant on the screenshot. It just looks weird

So I just won the r33 hks dragster 3 times in 3 different races. In all 3 tuned Turbo races is that intended or a glitch ? Shouldnt I have won the 180sx dragster and a nismo r33 instead ?

Last edited:
So I just won the r33 hks dragster 3 times in 3 different races. In all 3 tuned Turbo races is that intended or a glitch ? Shouldnt I have won the 180sx dragster and a nismo r33 instead ?
HKS 180SX you win in GT League > Pacific League > 3d race. In Tuned Turbo Cup other cars is Mine's R33 and Nismo 400R.

No i don't, but the new cars are all in logical places. Like you win rally cars doing rallies for example... Go for races that don't give cars in the vanilla game

Part of why I didn't post it at the time was that I'm unsure on whether to keep this change or just to replace the Clio entirely in Class S with something that doesn't need a gimmick tune to be worth driving.

So, on this point...

esprit350-arcade.png

I figured out how to switch all of the hardcoded stats, bars, and logos over to another car, in this case the Esprit Sport 350. It feels like a pretty natural fit with cars like the 400GT, and I went with the Sport 350 specifically because it's the highest performance model and not used as an opponent in GT mode. Lotus also fits alphabetically between Lister and Ruf like Renault did, so I don't need to reorder the cars either!

I think this is probably what will be in the next version rather than the tuned-up Clio, because it looks seamless compared to the rest of Arcade mode, it avoids having an Arcade-only car spec not available in GT mode, and is also created and tuned by Polyphony rather than me.

Since Submaniac recently fixed up a couple of Polyphony's unfinished models, I've found the time to set them up in the game properly.

First, the E36 BMW 323i:

e36-menu.png

This had some missing reflections, a dodgy exhaust, and bits of bodywork showing through each other, all of which Submaniac fixed. I then edited the badging from 320i to 323i, fixed the rear plate holder being particularly tiny, and equipped it with the optional Style 25 'Classic' 16" wheels that were so common on the mid-range E36. The physics were set up according to a 1998 brochure, and I tweaked the colour choices slightly to match another brochure.

e36-race.png

The E36 also appears as an opponent in a couple of relevant places, just to integrate it more neatly into the game.

e36-opponent.png

The other car to return is the Audi A4 Avant:

a4avant-menu.png

Submaniac sorted out the lack of reflections on most of the car, then I ported over two colours from the saloon version that the Avant was missing, and replaced a further four to match the saloon (presumably these colours were tweaked for accuracy late in development after the Avant was cut). The physics setup was actually very easy, as the saloon in vanilla GT2 is already using left-over Avant physics, which this mod fixes.

a4avant-race.png

As with the BMW, the A4 Avant shows up as an opponent in the one race series where it's most appropriate, bulking out a relatively short entry list.

a4avant-opponent.png

With these two in place, pretty much every salvageable and unique car model from the demo versions of the game has now been revived and finished. It also brings the mod right up close to the absolute limits of the amount of content that can be shovelled into the game without crashes. Any remaining cut cars like the Subaru Rex basically don't exist and would need to be created from scratch, and I would rather include content that was originally authored by Polyphony.

There is of course a lot more work to do on the mod outside of this, plenty of bug fixes to add, and there most likely will still be some amount of new content to come, but I'm happy to have reached the milestone of having brought back every car that we can. Cars like the A4 Avant and NSX-R GT1 Turbo were until quite recently thought to be impossible, and so accomplishing this has been a great team effort.

It's on the to-do list.
Do you have the to do list viewable somewhere?

So, on this point...

esprit350-arcade.png

I figured out how to switch all of the hardcoded stats, bars, and logos over to another car, in this case the Esprit Sport 350. It feels like a pretty natural fit with cars like the 400GT, and I went with the Sport 350 specifically because it's the highest performance model and not used as an opponent in GT mode. Lotus also fits alphabetically between Lister and Ruf like Renault did, so I don't need to reorder the cars either!

I think this is probably what will be in the next version rather than the tuned-up Clio, because it looks seamless compared to the rest of Arcade mode, it avoids having an Arcade-only car spec not available in GT mode, and is also created and tuned by Polyphony rather than me.
How were you able to access the code to change replace the car in the arcade mode?

Do you have the to do list viewable somewhere?

Not really, I just have a lot of notes and check this thread for what has been suggested periodically. The list ranges from simple things I just haven't got around to yet, all the way to complete fantasies that will probably never be possible but it'd be nice if they were. It's not exactly a roadmap for new releases or anything.

How were you able to access the code to change replace the car in the arcade mode?

I didn't access any code, it's all just hardcoded values in the executable (well, technically the overlays) which I had to find and hex edit. There are a set of offsets pointing to string constants that represent each car ID to be used, followed by which logos to use, values seemingly handling unlock requirements, then the performance bars, and the displayed car stats. I basically looked through the binary file for any values that matched a given car's stats then figured it out from there through trial and error. I tried Ghidra towards the end to see if it shone any light on things, and while it helped a little bit it's outside of my skill set.

I also had to rewrite some bits of GT2DataSplitter to handle the Arcade carparam data, then figure out what enough of the Arcade-specific data meant to port the Esprit parts over from GT mode, the reverse of what I had to do with the Arcade rally cars.

Is it possible to remove cars from the used showroom and make those cars available in the new car showroom?

Yes, although it's a lot of work. No plans to do it in this mod though, the game already has a fairly tidy split between what's available new and used.

I feel like this is a bit of an obvious question..... but is this modded GT2 for emulators only? Or is it actually possible to play this on a PS2/3?

Back