[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
Well, maybe someday someone will find a dump/archive of the source code, or maybe they'll pull an Exilelord and decompile it directly from the game's data header/main code binary.
I would love to decompile GT2 and be able to recompile it, but that's way beyond my ability level, especially as there are no debug symbols available for GT2, unlike projects such as ReDriver2. Interest in GT2 modding is so low that I would not expect anyone else to start such a huge project any time soon either.

I would love to decompile GT2 and be able to recompile it, but that's way beyond my ability level, especially as there are no debug symbols available for GT2, unlike projects such as ReDriver2. Interest in GT2 modding is so low that I would not expect anyone else to start such a huge project any time soon either.
I wonder which would be easier: Reverse engineering the game to port it like ReDriver, or just straight-up making a port from scratch, trying to match the physics as close as possible and then importing the data that can be extracted/edited.

I also have to wonder how many people even know that GT2 is moddable now.

I wonder which would be easier: Reverse engineering the game to port it like ReDriver, or just straight-up making a port from scratch, trying to match the physics as close as possible and then importing the data that can be extracted/edited.
It took Polyphony a couple of years with at least a dozen developers to implement it the first time around, and to figure out exactly what it does in order to reimplement it would require tons of disassembly anyway. Either option is pretty much fantasy.

It's not like everything that GT2 does is even close to fully known anyway - it was only recently discovered how advertising banners on tracks change to themed sets for different events.

Last edited:
[...]it was only recently discovered how advertising banners on tracks change to themed sets for different events.
So they're predetermined sets? I thought they were completely random. I never paid much attention, are the sets well selected? What seems was their criteria?

So they're predetermined sets? I thought they were completely random. I never paid much attention, are the sets well selected? What seems was their criteria?
They're randomised from particular pools of sponsors. There are a couple of 'general' sets, but for example the various Nationals events use mostly sponsors from that country, and the NA events use tuner company logos.

So I'm playing through the NTSC 1.2 version of GT2+ and I noticed that the Mazda 323F S-Wagon (A 4WD car) can still appear on the grid of the FF Challenge race at Midfield. It's not exactly a threat but it still doesn't belong.

So I'm playing through the NTSC 1.2 version of GT2+ and I noticed that the Mazda 323F S-Wagon (A 4WD car) can still appear on the grid of the FF Challenge race at Midfield.
If this is specifically the Complete version of the mod, then it's probably just a file conflict with the tweak that removes the second Vectra from that race. It'll be fixed in the next version.

If this is specifically the Complete version of the mod, then it's probably just a file conflict with the tweak that removes the second Vectra from that race. It'll be fixed in the next version.
I'm playing Complete so yeah. I figured it would be something that would get fixed eventually. Do you have a to-do list of things that you plan to fix or tweak?

Do you have a to-do list of things that you plan to fix or tweak?
I have a rough list of notes that I keep, but I don't normally post it because not everything on it is necessarily possible to do, or may not happen for a long time. Fixing the 'attract mode' demos on the main menu for example has remained out of reach for a while now.

Fixing the 'attract mode' demos on the main menu for example has remained out of reach for a while now.
They definitely are borked. Can they be remade and then just replaced, or is that something that would require the source code to do?

They definitely are borked. Can they be remade and then just replaced, or is that something that would require the source code to do?
Only those that are based on recorded physics inputs are broken - the car setup is saved in there in some way, but my previous attempts to hex edit it haven't worked so far. It's effectively just a replay savegame on the disc, so it's possible to replace them, but I'd rather find a method to fix them else I'll have to re-record the demos every time I change the data. It would also potentially open up a way to migrate replay savegames in general to work with the mod.

BTW why can you race different types of cars that aren't supposed to be in the event? Was this intended or? If not can you fix that?

Unfixable as there are no restriction flags that would let us force those types of specific cars.

It's up to the player to respect those or not.

And the lists that let us restrict to specific cars only are limited to 32 cars which is too small for most of those

Last edited:
Been playing through the Plus mod, and noticed the wheels clipping into the bodywork on the racing mod for the Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary. I'm assuming the regular Z28 also has this problem. Also, the silver Tom's Angel T01 behaves oddly. In the garage, the color tag appears to be silver, but when you look at it in your garage, it's red. But when you take it to the race, it's actually silver.

Wheel clipping is a commo issue that'll be fixed eventually i assume. It's a 3d model edit so depends on if pez will tackle sich things or leave it to the community.
As for the T01 it's liekely a swapped color/color square thing. If indeed it's that i'm sure pez will fix it for the next version, but i'll let him be the judge there lol

Wheel clipping is a commo issue that'll be fixed eventually i assume. It's a 3d model edit so depends on if pez will tackle sich things or leave it to the community.
As for the T01 it's liekely a swapped color/color square thing. If indeed it's that i'm sure pez will fix it for the next version, but i'll let him be the judge there lol
The color square on the T01 is silver and the car appears as such in race, it's just red when you look at it in the garage. I'm not sure what's going on there. I imagine he has a lot he wants to do with this so I'm not too concerned.

Also, if anyone is interested I'm recording a let's play of GT2 Plus and it starts next week.

Been playing through the Plus mod, and noticed the wheels clipping into the bodywork on the racing mod for the Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary. ... Also, the silver Tom's Angel T01 behaves oddly.
Fixing all of the tiny wheel position issues is probably too much work to do thoroughly, as I think it's at least partially physics-related on some cars, and it's an issue that plenty of other games share. The T01 colour bug has been reported before, I'll have a look at it before the next release.

Fixing all of the tiny wheel position issues is probably too much work to do thoroughly, as I think it's at least partially physics-related on some cars, and it's an issue that plenty of other games share. The T01 colour bug has been reported before, I'll have a look at it before the next release.
Cool. Also, can confirm that it's possible to get beyond 100% game completion in Plus, which I am aware is a quirk inherited from the original PAL release.

Hello. I wanted to ask you about adding one car if it doesn't exist. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 5 GSR - you can take the simple version in GT2 as a basis.
This car was in Gran Turismo 2000. The graphics in this demo are almost like in GT3, but the physics and most of the code are from GT2.

Back