[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
The 400GT is classed as supercharged, like the DB7. I can't remember if NA Tune allows them (because they don't have a turbo) or blocks them (because their aspiration type is not 'NA').

The Arcade data is entirely separate to the GT mode data, so it's somewhat challenging to edit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the Arcade 400GT right now.
Yeah, you said about Arcade having separate car data. Does that mean the extra colors for the M12 and Viper (And whatever other cars I'm forgetting) had to be implemented separately for the Arcade Mode courtesy cars?

Only the specs and the actual car choices for each class are separate, the colors i assume were added the same way as for GTmode

Does that mean the extra colors for the M12 and Viper (And whatever other cars I'm forgetting) had to be implemented separately for the Arcade Mode courtesy cars?
As above, it's the parts and physics data that are separate, colours / textures / models are shared, which is why it was historically possible to access the Arcade mode Rally Car bodies in GT mode, but nothing else.

Out of interest, is it possible to unpack the car physics files and list all of the parameters? Someone recently cracked GT Sport's and I'm just curious to see how much more complex the latest game is compared to GT2 ;)

Last edited:
Out of interest, is it possible to unpack the car physics files and list all of the parameters? Someone recently cracked GT Sport's and I'm just curious to see how much more complex the latest game is compared to GT2 ;)
GT6 and GTS just use normal SQLite databases openable with any normal SQLite tools, so they have column names and a clear number of columns for each type of part. For the earlier games, what each column does and thus should be named needs to be guessed and researched, and not everything is figured out. The current definition of GT2's suspension part is here, browse around the same directory to see the other part types.

Is there any chance that the Toyota Prius will get any real power mods? With a few turbo upgrades it could be slightly more useful.

Is there any chance that the Toyota Prius will get any real power mods? With a few turbo upgrades it could be slightly more useful.
Probably not - I know it's useless, but that's the way PD did it. It would need around 140-150hp to catch up with the second slowest car, and 170-180hp to catch up with the Midget II, which is a pretty serious set of upgrades.

As it's never had any known upgrades in any build of the game, I'm probably going to leave it as it is. With beta 7 and later, I'm going to be right up against the more recently discovered limit on the amount of physics / part data that can be crammed into the game, and I've had to do some un-noticeable trimming already to make the projected beta 6 content fit, so inventing a full set of Prius upgrades would need other things to be cut to even fit. The Clio's invented turbo kits will be at risk too potentially, although that needed a lot less to be added to be competitive, compared to the leaden Prius.

Probably not - I know it's useless, but that's the way PD did it. It would need around 140-150hp to catch up with the second slowest car, and 170-180hp to catch up with the Midget II, which is a pretty serious set of upgrades.

As it's never had any known upgrades in any build of the game, I'm probably going to leave it as it is. With beta 7 and later, I'm going to be right up against the more recently discovered limit on the amount of physics / part data that can be crammed into the game, and I've had to do some un-noticeable trimming already to make the projected beta 6 content fit, so inventing a full set of Prius upgrades would need other things to be cut to even fit. The Clio's invented turbo kits will be at risk too potentially, although that needed a lot less to be added to be competitive, compared to the leaden Prius.
Okay, no worries. I figured maybe just one or two turbo upgrades would be enough.

May be slightly off topic, but does anyone know of projects like this but for other Gran Turismo games?
Been playing quite a bit of GT4 lately, so I was curious if there are more revival/restoring projects like this out there.

May be slightly off topic, but does anyone know of projects like this but for other Gran Turismo games?
Been playing quite a bit of GT4 lately, so I was curious if there are more revival/restoring projects like this out there.
Not for GT4 that I'm aware of but there are big modding movements for GT5 and GT6.

Not for GT4 that I'm aware of but there are big modding movements for GT5 and GT6.
And as for GT3 it is at least possible to port GT Concept cars to the game, and I think I've seen Autumn Ring ported over too. Not sure if any other progress has been made. Don't know of any progress for cracking open GT4 either.

The GT5 Master Mod and GT6 Spec II projects led by Nenkai are similar, with more of a focus on quality of life changes and expanded content than bug fixes. If I didn't have a day job, there would be GT2+ sister projects for multiple games, I just don't want to take on more than I can handle yet.
And as for GT3 it is at least possible to port GT Concept cars to the game, and I think I've seen Autumn Ring ported over too. Not sure if any other progress has been made. Don't know of any progress for cracking open GT4 either.
Yeah, I wrote tools to port those over and fix physics bugs in GT3, but the limit currently is that car and track icons are stored in the menu pages and I've not had time to figure out how they work. I don't want to put out a scruffy end product with missing parts.

Nenkai has also written several GT4 tools, and GT5 tools that will work with GT4, but I've never gotten around to having a go at tweaking things. A lot of GT4 is script-based, and they're not very editable without anyone being able to write a compiler to go with Nenkai's disassembler.
GT4 is now being played online.
That's (pirate copies of) the GT4 Online closed beta test discs being used with a replacement server, rather than modified GT4.

After some time, I finally got the chance to get this going on my PC through means that aren't alowed to be talked about on this forum, and let me tell you I was grinning from ear-to-ear just looking at all of the updates and restored content in just the car dealerships. Now to figure out how to get the save data I have to be loaded properly, because while I've golded all liscense tests in GT2 twice before, I haven't done it in at least a decade and I kind of don't want to try and do it again...

After some time, I finally got the chance to get this going on my PC through means that aren't alowed to be talked about on this forum, and let me tell you I was grinning from ear-to-ear just looking at all of the updates and restored content in just the car dealerships. Now to figure out how to get the save data I have to be loaded properly, because while I've golded all liscense tests in GT2 twice before, I haven't done it in at least a decade and I kind of don't want to try and do it again...
You can't. Vanilla GT2 saves can't be transferred over to Plus, so you'll have to do it all over again. I have an NTSC all golds save here if you want it though.

Attachments

• gt2plusalllicenses.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 18
You can't. Vanilla GT2 saves can't be transferred over to Plus, so you'll have to do it all over again. I have an NTSC all golds save here if you want it though.
Well, it's very nice of you to post that, but I was mainly having issues with getting my program to recognize the demo savegame file that's available on the first page. If it turns out that it's not compatible with the latest build, then I'll use that license bypass you posted and get cracking on a new save file the next chance I get the time to do so.

Well, it's very nice of you to post that, but I was mainly having issues with getting my program to recognize the demo savegame file that's available on the first page. If it turns out that it's not compatible with the latest build, then I'll use that license bypass you posted and get cracking on a new save file the next chance I get the time to do so.
The demo save should work with the latest version, and it's an MCR memory card image containing a savegame each for all three regions. Tools like MemcardRex will convert it to whichever format you need, and/or extract single saves from the card.

OK, after about a day of fiddling with things and downloading the right tools to convert save data, I finally got GT2+ up and running.

I do have a small question regarding possible future content: While looking online for baseline car set-ups (As the hard-drive that contained the MS Word Document that had all of my old tunes died a long time ago), I found out that in some of the earliest builds of the game the 1998 Honda Castrol Mugen NSX GT (JGTC) was going to be available in White with a blank number placard:

Wittw.png

Is it possible to recreate this color pallette and add it into a future update? Regardless, I have nothing but respect for everyone that put in the time and effort into this mod to make all of the added-in content look as good as it does.

Last edited:
I found out that in some of the earliest builds of the game the 1998 Honda Castrol Mugen NSX GT (JGTC) was going to be available in White with a blank number placard ... Is it possible to recreate this color pallette and add it into a future update?
Unfortunately the final texture is different, and the black colour for the race numbers is shared with the paint. There's not enough space in the palettes to separate the two without removing the numbers like the early version.

Unfortunately the final texture is different, and the black colour for the race numbers is shared with the paint. There's not enough space in the palettes to separate the two without removing the numbers like the early version.
I see... OK, thanks for explaining it.

How about this?
Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Version (4,000,000)
Suzuki Cultus Pikes Peak Version (3,000,000)
'-'
I'd say keep them at 2 million. You effectively need either one to complete the game anyway, if you want to keep your sanity. I'm not sure if anyone has managed to beat the Cultus or Escudo at Pikes Peak with anything else.

I'd say keep them at 2 million. You effectively need either one to complete the game anyway, if you want to keep your sanity. I'm not sure if anyone has managed to beat the Cultus or Escudo at Pikes Peak with anything else.
Exactly, there are many options of 2M, the best should be more expensive '-'

pez won't touch car prices unless they are wrong, and not on race cars since those aren't based on real prices from the time period.

As for beating the Pike's Peak Escudo and Cultus... speedrunners have been doing it with the FTO LM Edition. And i've also managed to ^^
Videos in spoiler:

Funnily enough, on the USA releases of GT2, the driver that made the Escudo opponent did a slower run than with the Cultus, due to a mistake on the very last turn smh
So the Cultus ends up being harder to beat haha

How about this?
Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Version (4,000,000)
Suzuki Cultus Pikes Peak Version (3,000,000)
'-'
I don't see why they need to be more expensive than they are - it helps to own one of them in order to beat them in the hardest two rally events, and they're already twice the price of the Toyota GT-One road car which is head and shoulders faster than anything else when tuned, with similar power to the Escudo PP and only 100kg more weight.

Also, why should they be more expensive? The fastest car in the game is also the (joint) most expensive. That sounds fine to me. Why should they be harder to get? To force some artificial extra difficulty on players who don't necessarily want it, hence why they're buying the Escudo PP? Increasing the grind just makes the game less fun, it's not like anyone is forced to drive the Pikes Peak cars.

I realise that that point is to make it harder for players to acquire those cars, but it's just unnecessarily punitive. The average casual player will take quite a long time to afford them at 2m credits without looking up grind strategies, and if they were more expensive it'd just incentivise using the GT-One for everything instead. If the GT-One was more expensive, then the XJ220 can also exceed 950ps, and so on. Eventually you'd end up with average players struggling to get a car good enough to win the World Championship.

FTO LM can be run with dirt tyres natively?
Yes, it can. The Honda del Sol LM can too, but the del Sol doesn't have AWD.

I don't see why they need to be more expensive than they are - it helps to own one of them in order to beat them in the hardest two rally events, and they're already twice the price of the Toyota GT-One road car which is head and shoulders faster than anything else when tuned, with similar power to the Escudo PP and only 100kg more weight.

Also, why should they be more expensive? The fastest car in the game is also the (joint) most expensive. That sounds fine to me. Why should they be harder to get? To force some artificial extra difficulty on players who don't necessarily want it, hence why they're buying the Escudo PP? Increasing the grind just makes the game less fun, it's not like anyone is forced to drive the Pikes Peak cars.

I realise that that point is to make it harder for players to acquire those cars, but it's just unnecessarily punitive. The average casual player will take quite a long time to afford them at 2m credits without looking up grind strategies, and if they were more expensive it'd just incentivise using the GT-One for everything instead. If the GT-One was more expensive, then the XJ220 can also exceed 950ps, and so on. Eventually you'd end up with average players struggling to get a car good enough to win the World Championship.
As for getting to the World Championship, don't you have to beat all the national and regional series first anyway? I think that's the case in NTSC at least. The regionals offer a pretty nice selection of prizes to take on the World Championship anyway. Except maybe the Drag 180SX.

Back