[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,803 comments
Is there any reason to play the Euro PAL version over the USA NTSC?
It supports languages other than English, runs on a PAL console, has a different racing soundtrack, and is based on the only version of the game sold in Europe, thus the version that most European players will own and be able to patch.

Thanks very much! And the Japanese version i guess also different soundtrack? But Japanese only.
Yep, the Japanese version runs at 30fps like the US version instead of the 25fps of PAL, and has an original soundtrack rather than the licensed music used in other regions, however it's entirely in Japanese with no language selection.

NTSC versions have 5 FPS more and its noticeable. Since the game was new i played the game converted by Wackyiso group from NTSC to PAL (with a selector on a disc) and you can tell the difference.
Playing NTSC game converted to PAL in 1999 caused artifacts like playing menu music much slower than original though (it sounds awesome). Which i didnt know of until youtube :)
PAL/NTSC selector looked like this:

Menu music plays slower

Last edited:
[...] The Nismo 400R in GT2 was only available in a few colours, all with black stripes. In actual fact, the 400R was built in the vast majority of production R33 GT-R colours, normally with white stripes and sometimes silver. I've adapted most of the extra R33 colours to the 400R now [...]

[...] the Primera Te-V was revised for the PAL version of GT2 with the intention of making it a UK-market car, however all that PD actually changed was switching from the high Te-V wing to the lower wing, and adding UK numberplates and the relocated boot lock to fit them [...] I've recently gone over the model and revised it quite a lot, into proper UK spec [...]
primerauk3.png

primerauk2.png
Cool. How's progress on the next version? I wanted to play a bit with the mod on the holidays plus my vacation in January, but I want to know if I should wait for the next version.

Cool. How's progress on the next version? I wanted to play a bit with the mod on the holidays plus my vacation in January, but I want to know if I should wait for the next version.
There aren't too many must-have items left on my list for the next version, so barring any show-stoppers I'd probably estimate the time left in weeks rather than months. Don't know how busy I'll be over Xmas, hence why I can't really give anything firmer than that, but I feel like a release is long overdue at this point.

There aren't too many must-have items left on my list for the next version, so barring any show-stoppers I'd probably estimate the time left in weeks rather than months. Don't know how busy I'll be over Xmas, hence why I can't really give anything firmer than that, but I feel like a release is long overdue at this point.
Cool.

Another smaller tweak I've done lately is tidying up the Opel Vectra a bit. In GT2, there's the Vauxhall Vectra GSi, which is a UK-specific Vectra tuned by MSD, with an Irmscher bodykit. Polyphony simply swapped the badge on it to invent an Opel Vectra GSi, but as far as I can tell the MSD cars were not exported to the continent.

However, Europe did get the Irmscher-tuned Opel Vectra i500, which had the same bodykit as the UK GSi, similar power and torque, but had BBS wheels instead of the 6-spokes and black i500 badges instead of silver GSi badges. Thanks to the BBS wheel selection in GT2 and some useful photos of the badging, I've been able to revise the Opel to make it a bit closer to the real thing.

vectrai500.png

The pic of the i500 you supplied looks to be a sedan, but the in-game model looks like a hatchback. Am I misinterpreting something or is this going to be intentional? Or were there even i500-s in hatch form?

Here is a sedan. Do you see the difference?

View attachment 1101484
That's...the pic I was referencing at first, comparing to the hatchback model of what's in-game. I'm not sure what you're leading up to here?
There is a significant difference in model shapes between a sedan and hatchback Vectra, if that's what you meant. Not to mention the rear bumper that ends higher up on the hatchback compared to the sedan.

The pic of the i500 you supplied looks to be a sedan, but the in-game model looks like a hatchback. Am I misinterpreting something or is this going to be intentional? Or were there even i500-s in hatch form?
Yes, the Vectras in GT2 are hatchbacks - both the GSi and i500 were available in both styles as far as I'm aware. I used a saloon photo simply because it's fairly hard finding pictures of completely stock i500s and they seem to have only used that saloon for the press photos.

Confusingly, the RMs for both Vectras are hatchback bodies with the C and D pillars painted as if they were saloons, one of many bad bits of modelling when it comes to the Vectras. That's probably out of scope to fix for now, as none of the BTCC-style RMs are hugely accurate.

Nor does it matter since for all intents and purposes, those doors are 'for looks only' once racing mods are applied...
True but it'd be nice to have the proper body for accuracy sake.

Personally think any RM with a real racing version needs to be as accurate as possible if it can be.

Last edited:
A couple of things are pulling up to the starting line, now complete, polished, and ready to go.

nsxrgt1.png

silvialm.png

Not too many things left on the to-do list now, those two were the biggest hurdle. The brake lights alone were a real nuisance!

Awesome. Awesome to the max. Are these bodies remodeled/retextured versions of existing NSX and Silvia RM bodies?

Also, is this what you meant by "any show-stoppers"?

Last edited:
Awesome. Awesome to the max. Are these bodies remodeled/retextured versions of existing NSX and Silvia RM bodies?

Also, is this what you meant by "any show-stoppers"?

No, they're ports of the original models from GT1. It's partly automated, but there's a decent amount of manual work needed on top to add a GT2-style shadow and scale it properly, patch in some of the semi-unknown stuff to do with LOD distances that GT1 doesn't have, and correct the wheel positions. The textures also need GT2-style wheels to be added - the NSX uses a set from the wheel shop edited to centre-lock, and the Silvia's are from some racecar somewhere, I forget exactly which. Physics-wise I tend to use a similar donor car from GT2 as a base, then port over whatever I can from GT1 such as the engine, transmission, aero balance, and so on.

Yeah, these two cars could have been serious show-stoppers if I couldn't get the models fully functional, and it has taken a decent amount of work today alone to shake out the last few major issues. The current models are something like the 4th or 5th time I've ported them now, improving the process each time to gradually get them fully functional in GT2. They're not necessarily the last hurdles though, I have had releases stopped at the 11th hour in the past because of totally unforeseen game limits, so I don't take anything for granted until the final build of the release is running on a PS1 console.

No, they're ports of the original models from GT1. It's partly automated, but there's a decent amount of manual work needed on top to add a GT2-style shadow and scale it properly, patch in some of the semi-unknown stuff to do with LOD distances that GT1 doesn't have, and correct the wheel positions. The textures also need GT2-style wheels to be added - the NSX uses a set from the wheel shop edited to centre-lock, and the Silvia's are from some racecar somewhere, I forget exactly which. Physics-wise I tend to use a similar donor car from GT2 as a base, then port over whatever I can from GT1 such as the engine, transmission, aero balance, and so on.

Yeah, these two cars could have been serious show-stoppers if I couldn't get the models fully functional, and it has taken a decent amount of work today alone to shake out the last few major issues. The current models are something like the 4th or 5th time I've ported them now, improving the process each time to gradually get them fully functional in GT2. They're not necessarily the last hurdles though, I have had releases stopped at the 11th hour in the past because of totally unforeseen game limits, so I don't take anything for granted until the final build of the release is running on a PS1 console.
Cool stuff. Hope you can get these running on real hardware. How functional are they right now?

Getting pretty close now, I've been running through and testing everything, from new opponents to revised cars.

rufbtr4-opponent.png

rufbr2-opponent.png

400r-red.png

primerauk4.png

Just one or two things left to sort out, then some serious testing.

Cool stuff. Hope you can get these running on real hardware. How functional are they right now?
Fully functional, they're done as far as I'm concerned. They're straight ports for now and there's some polish that could be done for a later release, but they should be indistinguishable from GT2 content.

Getting pretty close now, I've been running through and testing everything, from new opponents to revised cars.

rufbtr4-opponent.png

rufbr2-opponent.png

400r-red.png

primerauk4.png

Just one or two things left to sort out, then some serious testing.

Fully functional, they're done as far as I'm concerned. They're straight ports for now and there's some polish that could be done for a later release, but they should be indistinguishable from GT2 content.
Awesome. Looking forward to trying out the next build. Will the NSX and Silvia be buyable or prize cars?

silvialm-dealer.png

It's much easier to stick stuff in the Special dealer than it is to figure out where to hide all of these prize cars. As with the alternative Evo V RC, CLK RC, and NSX-R LM GT2, new racecars are generally all in the Special dealer.
Okay, sure. I ask this cause apparently the CLK Race Car was apparently a prize in earlier builds of this.

Okay, sure. I ask this cause apparently the CLK Race Car was apparently a prize in earlier builds of this.

Yes, that was before I figured out how to add menu screens. There has generally been at least one new discovery for each release of this mod, so the possibilities expand each time.

Here's a final teaser before release - all of the new content is working, test feedback has been included, and it's mostly just a case of packaging and uploading that's left.

integrags-jp.png

Also, almost every single region-specific car is now available in all three versions. For the Japanese players who want to drive a UK-spec 200SX or a US-spec 300ZX, you now can:

200sx-jp.png

Here's a final teaser before release - all of the new content is working, test feedback has been included, and it's mostly just a case of packaging and uploading that's left.

integrags-jp.png

Also, almost every single region-specific car is now available in all three versions. For the Japanese players who want to drive a UK-spec 200SX or a US-spec 300ZX, you now can:

200sx-jp.png
Are there any special colours and new RM's restored in this new version?

Back