[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
Okay, I'm going to say that the new prize cars don't really make much sense regarding how you win them. To explain what I mean, I'll list examples in the spoilers box below. For people that don't want to know how you win the new prize cars.

Winning a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG in the American Nationals, Ruf BR2 in the Japanese Nationals. Errr, those things don't match.
Imo, the C55 AMG should be a prize car for one of the German Nationals along with the BR2.

Okay, I'm going to say that the new prize cars don't really make much sense regarding how you win them.

The problem with the method you suggest is that you end up with some of those events having no prizes, and others being absolutely packed with them. The particular specific change mentioned would award an expensive 350ps car for beating 150ps opponents including a stock Golf, which is way too unbalanced. There are also four restored Rufs alone, which makes it impossible to award them all from the same 3-race series.

The current assignment means that none of those events award a car that has more power than the event's limit (other than one, by 10ps), none of those series award more than one car from the same manufacturer, and almost all of the events of that type have two prizes across the series (when some future additions are complete). The lower prize of the two is generally sorted as you suggest, but with two Acuras that's not fully possible either without adding too many prizes to some series.

You can win a Mazda Demio in the K car cup, 2 tuner cars in the muscle car cup, a bunch of (definitely not 80's) tuner cars in the 80's cup and JGTC cars in the euro league. A sizeable chunk of prize car theme is out the window already. We're not getting any more races than we have in the game to fill/correct this themeing. I'm failing to see the problem. Can't we just have prize cars for the sake of them being, you know, prize cars?

Given that some of the Nationals have prize cars added to them, is it possible to add prize cars to the Sunday and Clubman cups?

You can win a Mazda Demio in the K car cup, 2 tuner cars in the muscle car cup, a bunch of (definitely not 80's) tuner cars in the 80's cup and JGTC cars in the euro league. A sizeable chunk of prize car theme is out the window already. We're not getting any more races than we have in the game to fill/correct this themeing. I'm failing to see the problem. Can't we just have prize cars for the sake of them being, you know, prize cars?
If it's possible to add prizes to the Sunday and Clubman cups the tuner cars you win from the 80s series could be swapped to there, and this would leave room for different prizes in the 80s series. And it's not like the prizes in GT3 and 4 always keep with the theme of the race, or can even be used in said race.

Given that some of the Nationals have prize cars added to them, is it possible to add prize cars to the Sunday and Clubman cups?

It is, but there's enough space elsewhere to award all of the restored cars that I can add already, and I'm avoiding awarding prizes from events that don't require a license as PD never gave out cars that early either.

The problem with the method you suggest is that you end up with some of those events having no prizes, and others being absolutely packed with them. The particular specific change mentioned would award an expensive 350ps car for beating 150ps opponents including a stock Golf, which is way too unbalanced. There are also four restored Rufs alone, which makes it impossible to award them all from the same 3-race series.
That's also true, I have to consider the limit amounts of cars that you're restoring and were actually hidden on the disc or on the demo discs themselves. They don't certainly leave much room to be correct. Especially if you ever plan on reviving more cars from the demo disc aside from the C55 AMG Mercedes like the e36 coupes for instance.

---
EDIT: While I'm here, could patching the mod wrong result in glitches in the replays and ghosts? A viewer on my channel is mentioning these issues and I find them odd considering I haven't encountered glitches like that.

Last edited:
While I'm here, could patching the mod wrong result in glitches in the replays and ghosts? A viewer on my channel is mentioning these issues and I find them odd considering I haven't encountered glitches like that.

There is no way to patch the mod wrong - xdelta either works or it doesn't. They're probably using other mods and/or cheat codes on top such as the framerate modifiers that are known to break things like that in the original game.

There is no way to patch the mod wrong - xdelta either works or it doesn't. They're probably using other mods and/or cheat codes on top such as the framerate modifiers that are known to break things like that in the original game.
Thank you, I'll tell him that.

I was able to get this to work on the ps1 emulator on the android. I use a samsung s20.

Epsxe one not duckstation.

Want to thank you guys for making a cracking mod. Basically GT2 improved. Cant wait to get the NSX GT2 and NSX GT1.

Last edited:
Hey pez2k.
Im new to this mod, and ive read the faq for questions and you mentioned it works on an original console. How can all of that data fit on the disc itself? I thought that GT2 already maxed out the disc space, and since ur gonna add more missing content are you adding it to an extent that it can only fit on the compact disc itself?

Oh and other thing, are all the vauxhall cars restored or just the vectra?

Edit: i just applied the patch and it reduced the size of the of the game by 70 mb. Wow

Last edited:
How can all of that data fit on the disc itself? I thought that GT2 already maxed out the disc space, and since ur gonna add more missing content are you adding it to an extent that it can only fit on the compact disc itself?

Oh and other thing, are all the vauxhall cars restored or just the vectra?

GT2 is too big to fit on a single disc because of the size of the intro movie and the many GT mode menu backgrounds, which is why it was split into two discs and the intro movie isn't on the same disc as those menus. There's actually a decent bit of space left on the disc, and because it's a PS1 game all of the assets are tiny.

For example, the NSX-R GT1 Turbo added in the latest update takes up 34KB on the disc for its model and textures, 12KB for its logo in the dealership / garage, plus another handful of KB for its physics data and dealership menu page. In short, each completely new car generally fits well within 100KB of disc space, and restored cars that already existed on the disc in some form such as the Ruf CR2 only need the physics data. The limit on the number of cars is actually the number of files that the game can read from a single directory, and how much space is allocated in RAM for the physics and upgrade data.

On top of that, the efficiency of the deflate compression that the game uses extensively has been improved massively over the last 20 years, so the parts of the game that are recompressed are smaller than they originally were, although I do this as little as possible to avoid increasing the size of the patch download. I've also gotten rid of some leftover junk on the disc, and rebuilt the content for the JP and US versions based on the final PAL release.

Regarding Vauxhall, both the Vauxhall and Opel dealerships are present in North City at the same time, in all languages and regions, and Acura is in South City. The added Vectra is an earlier 2.0 SRi version that was replaced close to release by the 2.5 GSi, but I've only included the Vauxhall SRi as the Opel equivalent doesn't really match a real specification very well.

GT2 is too big to fit on a single disc because of the size of the intro movie and the many GT mode menu backgrounds, which is why it was split into two discs and the intro movie isn't on the same disc as those menus. There's actually a decent bit of space left on the disc, and because it's a PS1 game all of the assets are tiny.

For example, the NSX-R GT1 Turbo added in the latest update takes up 34KB on the disc for its model and textures, 12KB for its logo in the dealership / garage, plus another handful of KB for its physics data and dealership menu page. In short, each completely new car generally fits well within 100KB of disc space, and restored cars that already existed on the disc in some form such as the Ruf CR2 only need the physics data. The limit on the number of cars is actually the number of files that the game can read from a single directory, and how much space is allocated in RAM for the physics and upgrade data.

On top of that, the efficiency of the deflate compression that the game uses extensively has been improved massively over the last 20 years, so the parts of the game that are recompressed are smaller than they originally were, although I do this as little as possible to avoid increasing the size of the patch download. I've also gotten rid of some leftover junk on the disc, and rebuilt the content for the JP and US versions based on the final PAL release.

Regarding Vauxhall, both the Vauxhall and Opel dealerships are present in North City at the same time, in all languages and regions, and Acura is in South City. The added Vectra is an earlier 2.0 SRi version that was replaced close to release by the 2.5 GSi, but I've only included the Vauxhall SRi as the Opel equivalent doesn't really match a real specification very well.
Impressive. With 80 mb of space left on the sim disc you can improve more stuff now, nice.
Im just amazed at the job you guys have done so far, and wish you the best that this mod reaches its final stages of development.

Such a treasure.

Getting hit with so much nostalgia but with improved experience is awesome.

GT2+ "updates" your game to the latest version available for your region, so for the US version only 1.2 cheats are applicable.
Ooooh, then i have to update my cheat disc. Tnx

GT2+ "updates" your game to the latest version available for your region, so for the US version only 1.2 cheats are applicable.
Ooooh, well that shouldve been obvious
facepalm

Yeah, it was quicker to just use the version of the game that already had most bugs fixed, than trying to figure out how to backport those fixes to older copies. It also means that I only have to build one US version of the modified game, then generating xdelta patches from each original disc to the one modified version is easy.

It definately makes more sense to do it that way versus what I did when I was getting into modding and just editing Version 1.1. Though I have nostalgic memories with that version, that's the GT2 version I grew up playing.

Is the AI tougher in this version? I hope so.
Burned it on a compact disc and works perfectly on my original console.
I don't believe the AI has been touched, however the is another mod in the works that will completely change the way the AI cars are set up for the races and change the rubber banding.

Last edited:
Is the AI tougher in this version? I hope so.

I've tried to avoid changing the game design in any way - ideally it should be unnoticeable that anything has been modified, except for experts who know that, for example, the Ruf BR4 wasn't originally available. The aim is basically to polish off any rough edges and finish anything that was cut late in development, to make a more complete version of the game, rather than a serious transformation with scratch-made content and major changes.

I've tried to avoid changing the game design in any way - ideally it should be unnoticeable that anything has been modified, except for experts who know that, for example, the Ruf BR4 wasn't originally available. The aim is basically to polish off any rough edges and finish anything that was cut late in development, to make a more complete version of the game, rather than a serious transformation with scratch-made content and major changes.
Aw cool i get that, and i also noticed that one Honda is missing.

Honda Integra SiR-G '98.

The only version thats here is the '95.

Aw cool i get that, and i also noticed that one Honda is missing.

Honda Integra SiR-G '98.

The only version thats here is the '95.

As above, it should be on the fifth page of the Honda special dealership in the US version. The only versions of the Honda new car dealership in the game that feature all of the cars are either in Japanese or have PAL-localised car names that don't match the US-localised cars, hence this workaround short term.

I see only the '95 and i was checking the specials section.
You sure you didn't see it? Because I just checked the specials section and I found it right after the NSX race cars:
SCUS-94488_2022-01-29_18-32-39.png

Wait now i have the '98 but the '95 is missing.

I dont understand whats going on now.

Do you have both SiR-G models in the specials section?
No, Pez2k only put the 1998 Integras in the specials section. The 1995 Integras are always going to be in the Used Car Dealership, you probably don't see it as there's just none there. Remember, the Used Car Dealership will change cars every 10 in-game days. The 1995 Integras appear in the UCD based on the days like any other used car.

In the rally races, there's still a typo for Pikes Peak Downhill. The entry screen says the opponent for the final race is a Lancer Evo IV GSR but the actual opponent is an Evo VI.

Back