[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
I don't know if anyone has had the same issue, but using the latest complete version, the japanese arcade disc shows a black screen/hangs after the intro cinematic instead of the menu. The american arcade disc works fine.
Finally got a fix for this uploaded in the first post - I've named the file as beta 6.1.1 to make it obvious that it's the fixed version, but in terms of content it's 100% identical to 6.1, just with the Japanese Arcade disc rebuilt to actually work this time. Even the GT mode disc is unchanged, so only the Arcade disc needs to be re-patched, and there's no incompatibility with saves from 6 or 6.1.

The downloads for all of the other regions have not changed either, so this is only relevant to the 500 or so people who have downloaded the Japanese version of the mod since the beta 6 release.

In beta 7 I'll probably borrow some of Silent's patches in order to get the Japanese Arcade disc to run on the same version of the code as the re-released GT Mode disc, which will eliminate the minor differences that the Arcade disc has to the other regions in terms of file structure due to being so old a build, and comprehensively avoid the chance of Arcade-specific issues like this in future.

Does the mod compatible to use save games (whether downloaded or vice versa) from the vanilla version of GT2 Confused. I tried loading using my old save unfortunately I found a bug in which the garage cars behave differently (i.e stats got altered, performed slowly, and something, can't move an inch) Embarassed. Is there a possible fix to that Embarassed?

From the FAQ:
  • Can I use my normal GT2 savegame? No, the patched game is not compatible with savegames from the base game, older GT2+ versions, or other patches, due to the added and updated content.
So meaning I have to start over from scratch, right Confused?

or use a buy any car to buy all your cars back, yes.
Car stats changing is a byproduct of the additional and removed cars that come with the mod. It's inevitable currently.
You should keep a copy of a clean save with no cars but completed licenses if you wish to skip them. Or use pez's starter save to skip them but still have the ability to get the license bonus cars.

Spent some time recently trying out adeyblue's GMCreator menu tool, so I tidied up the Acura dealership:

acuranew.png

While I was in there, I took the time to sort out the NSXes too. It turns out that the '1991' and '1997' models are actually just an automatic 1997 and manual 1997, with the small mistake that the automatic still has the 6-speed manual. I deliberated for a while on whether to change the menus to read '97 for both or whether to properly convert the car to 1991 spec, but ultimately I decided to convert it, to make it more distinct.

As well as the correct 4-speed automatic, it's now got narrower tyres, smaller, 5-spoke wheels, and a different set of colours. I also switched both cars from Japanese tail lights to the all-red Acura version while I was at it.

acuransx91.png

Instead of keeping the same racing modification as the 1997 car, I grabbed the Acura version of the Honda NSX '90 RM from the unused files in the initial Japanese release of the game, and updated it with US tail lights to match.

acuransx91rm.png

Finally, I merged the black colour from the NSX Type S Zero RM into the otherwise similar Acura 1997 RM, and gave that US lights too.

acuransx97rm.png

As you can probably guess from the dealership above, I'll most likely be removing the fictional Acura versions of the NSX-R, Type S, and Type S Zero. Players can buy the original Honda versions in GT2+, so there's no need to duplicate them into the Acura dealership for US players any more. Removing them also frees up a tiny bit of space for car parts, which was going to become a pressing issue for the next version.

I've started on some other menu changes too, which I'll show off when they're more complete.

is there any patching tutorial?

As mentioned in the readme file, it's just an xdelta patch to apply - there are lots of universal xdelta tools out there with their own tutorials on how to use them.

The only other change I would've made is keeping the Type S and just changing that into the Zanardi Edition

The problem is, there are about a hundred cars I could kit-bash from what's already in the game, but none of them were ever intended to be in the game so restoring cut cars takes precedence, and easily uses up all available space. Faced with the choice between creating a new Zanardi edition out of the fictional Type S or just deleting it in favour of finishing off a unique cut car that was once planned but never actually came back in any later GT games, the latter is more interesting and sticks more closely to what Polyphony intended to include at one point or another.

The problem is, there are about a hundred cars I could kit-bash from what's already in the game, but none of them were ever intended to be in the game so restoring cut cars takes precedence, and easily uses up all available space. Faced with the choice between creating a new Zanardi edition out of the fictional Type S or just deleting it in favour of finishing off a unique cut car that was once planned but never actually came back in any later GT games, the latter is more interesting and sticks more closely to what Polyphony intended to include at one point or another.
Yes, I'm aware of the limit of cars you can only add and thus have to make choices on what to add. So, I understand your mindset on your mod and you're of course free to do what you want with it at the end of the day.

With that said, I still don't agree with the choice.

With the nonexistent Acura NSX variants being removed, what else do you plan to add in?

Given that, any chances of an "overcomplete" edition that's too big to work on native hardware? Or do you still want something that could actually fit on an actual CD? That said I don't really expect anything out of Plus outside of what was already hidden in official builds to begin with.

With the nonexistent Acura NSX variants being removed, what else do you plan to add in?

Given that, any chances of an "overcomplete" edition that's too big to work on native hardware? Or do you still want something that could actually fit on an actual CD? That said I don't really expect anything out of Plus outside of what was already hidden in official builds to begin with.
Disc space isn't the big issue, it's the limits of the game engine itself, it can only handle a finite number of cars, parts etc. You can maximise those easilly without exceeding the size of a cd. It's doubtful anyone will ever manage to overcome those limits, but if they did it would open more possibilities.

At the moment putting too many new cars in requires removing existing cars for that reason, not a lack of space on a cd.

With that said, I still don't agree with the choice.

All of the source files for the mod are available for anyone who wants to put the Type S back in for personal use and delete other cars instead. I can't please everyone, so all I can be is consistent for this particular project, and prioritise content made by Polyphony over content made by fans.

It's more or less just making room for what I already had planned. I'd planned around the body limit, but as of beta 6 the limit on the number of parts became a pressing issue, hence removing some of the upgrade options from the Arcade rally cars. I'd sketched things out, and even being very conservative beta 7 would be at or over the limit, leaving no room for any bugfixes to the existing content that might be needed (which is of course the main objective of the mod).

In theory there might be a way to do a non-Playstation-compatible hack which relocates and expands the restrictive areas of memory into space that a real retail console doesn't have, but that's far, far outside of my skill set and ultimately this is an update for a PS1 game, not a spinoff or remake for other platforms. If it couldn't have been done by the end of 1999, it's outside of the scope.

sorry, what you mean by overcomplete edition?
A version that is too big to fit on a CD, thus being unable to run on unmodded native/retail hardware. Silent's combined disc patch merges Arcade and GT Mode, resulting in such an "overcomplete edition" if the user opts to include FMVs.

A version that is too big to fit on a CD, thus being unable to run on unmodded native/retail hardware. Silent's combined disc patch merges Arcade and GT Mode, resulting in such an "overcomplete edition" if the user opts to include FMVs.
so its just arcade + gt?

The mod lets you combine the entire game into one disc, but still gives you the option not to include the videos, as those are what make it go over the CD-rom limit.
Otherwise the entire game does fit. With FMVs, the game's 900mb.

To go with the rework of the Acura dealership, I've now expanded the Honda dealership in the US version back to the same level as the JP and PAL versions, with the Integras and NSXes now purchasable.

hondadealer-usa3.png

hondadealer-usa4.png

This means that I can get rid of the hack that put them in the Special section, now that it can be done properly. I've also switched the main dealership background from the S2000 to the NSX in order to match the other regions, and because it's a bit more colourful. It's also another step towards making all three regions identical in terms of content, with the final step coming next...

In other news, we've recently been looking into the Event Generator and figured out an issue causing it to pick the 2-player version of Autumn Ring. Turns out it was just a typo in the Apricot Hill's course name, so every time the game wanted to pick that, it fell back to 2p AR. On top of that, we've also added Autumn Ring Mini to the mix, so now Event Generator and One-Make Races can take place there:

I know pez2k has already integrated the former fix, and I expect the latter to make it to the next GT2+ version too.

Yep, the typo fix will be part of GT2+ Light, so that Apricot Hill finally shows up in the random selection, and I'm thinking about whether to add Autumn Ring Mini to the selection for Complete - it was clearly deliberately removed by PD, and I'm curious why.

In other news, I've been sorting out the classic cases of generic names being used in GT2 because of trademark issues.

First up is the 'Plymouth Muscle Car', with its real name originally being licensed from Warner Bros. I've made an appropriate logo for it too, based on a photo of the real badging, to match the style of the Cuda and GTX.

roadrunner2.png

roadrunner.png

Next is the 'Dodge Concept Car', renamed after a clash with the name of a custom Ford. The logo for this one comes from an early demo of GT1, before the original complaint was raised.

copperhead.png

Finally, the 'Jaguar XJR XJR Vehicle' has also had its dealership entry pared back, and the logo trimmed to match. Apparently this one was caused by a conflict with the Yamaha XJR bikes in Japan.

xjr.png

xjr2.png

Could Motor Sports Land also be added then maybe ? Also I read there`s unused reverse versions of the dirt tracks, would it be possible to add reverse versions of the others though ?

More variations would be nice if possible, especially with the amount of cars there are. I also wonder why PD never added the Special Route track from GT1, since most if not all the others where.

Last edited:
I think we should make Autumn Ring Mini available if the AI can race it properly.
Motor Sports land would be a fun addition, but the race would not be a proper race i guess. I think theres only 1 grid spot? Maybe on arcade disc just for the fun? :)

XJR XJR Vehicle always bothered me and Copperhead logo is awesome.

Could Motor Sports Land also be added then maybe ? Also I read there`s unused reverse versions of the dirt tracks, would it be possible to add reverse versions of the others though ?
As mentioned above, MS Land was never intended to be used for actual racing against the A.I. and only has one grid spot - spawning more cars means they all appear inside each other at the start. and has issues with its grid spots being so close to each other, resulting in cars overlapping each other at start if they're big enough.

As for unused reverse tracks, there are Test Course, Super Speedway, Laguna Seca and Smokey Mountain South. This last one isn't meant for actual racing (like the other dirt tracks) and the other three suffer from issues like broken A.I. pathing (e.g. being unable to overtake each other) and non-functional pit lanes, being abandoned at development 3 to 5 weeks before the rest was finished.

I also wonder why PD never added the Special Route track from GT1, since most if not all the others where.
SSR11 was the only track dropped from GT1, and nobody (outside PD at the time) knows why.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, MS Land was never intended to be used for actual racing and only has one grid spot - spawning more cars means they all appear inside each other at the start.

As for unused reverse tracks, there are Test Course, Super Speedway, Laguna Seca and Smokey Mountain South. This last one isn't meant for actual racing (like the other dirt tracks) and the other three suffer from issues like broken A.I. pathing (e.g. being unable to overtake each other) and non-functional pit lanes, being abandoned at development 3 to 5 weeks before the rest was finished.

SSR11 was the only track dropped from GT1, and nobody (outside PD at the time) knows why.
I don`t think I selected Motor Land previously, that`s probably why I thought it was similar to the mini ring track. And there`s already reverse tracks in GT2 ? Was a while since I played the original, that`s why I wasnt sure.

Seems I was reading about 2player versions of unused tracks regardless, I guess that explains it then...😐

textures.png

Yes it does look fun to race at, although reading about the other upgrades to GT2 with GT2+, is great for sure.

Last edited:
Back