[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,803 comments
US gold times are ridiculously easy. The Escudo hill climb is the only one that provides any semblance of challenge and even then not much.

That would be because the Escudo and Cultus use their own separate dirt compound, which itself is identical between all regions. So the challenge would be the same, unless times are changed.

What about Special Stage Route 11, any news for final update?
Not possible until track formats for both GT1 and GT2 are figured out and a tool to convert between them is developed.

(Finding a development GT2 build containing the track could be an alternative, but there's a chance that wouldn't be compatible with final GT2 either. There's likely a good reason most GT1 tracks weren't implemented until later in development and SSR11 failed to make the cut.)

I think that`s similar to why the cars can`t be ported either.

Would be nice if there was a track creator for GT2, then I guess it could be more easily recreated.

Would be nice if there was a track creator for GT2, then I guess it could be more easily recreated.
Same idea, but tracks are an entirely different beast. Not only there is the mesh, but there are presumably instructions on where/when to load each chunk of track, collision data, surface data, A.I. paths, replay cameras, starting grid positions, sector markings and likely more stuff under the hood. It's quite the task to build something that works, and an even bigger task to make something on par with PD's standard.

I may be asking something stupid, but does this mod work on emulators as well? Android based emulators to be exact
It does. It's designed to work on a real PlayStation console, so it must work on anything that emulates one too.

What about Special Stage Route 11, any news for final update?

If there's some major groundbreaking news like a quiet genius turning up and cracking both track export and import for GT2 based on the virtually zero research that exists, you can be sure that I'd not need to be prompted to post it here. I personally don't think it'll ever happen, and I don't have the time nor the reverse-engineering talent to even attempt it myself. There is no news on SSR11 and there will not be, the answer in the FAQ in the first post is always kept up to date.

Cars can be ported, there are a couple already in this mod like the Silvia LM. It's mostly automated, just requires manual creation of a shadow, wheel positions, wheel textures, and some other tweaking, because those things work quite differently. Cars however have the advantage of a fair bit of the model format being figured out literally decades ago, the textures being similar to standard and documented PS1 SDK formats, and GT1's formats being very similar to 2 so most research applied to both. Tracks have basically none of those advantages. Nobody's even ripped a full track model.

I'm currently playing this, it's really good, thank you to all the people who worked on this!
So far (after starting all over and golding all the licenses) I've spotted a few little texture errors on some of the cars - for example, newer 3000GTs/GTOs still have left-over exhaust tips (like in GT1) above the real ones and the Lancer Evo VI rally car (from S-8 test) has a blue exhaust tip. I wonder if these can be fixed?
These may have been mentioned in previous posts, but I don't have the patience to check all 76 pages, so I'm sorry if that's the case.

Was thinking they where recreated using GT2 car models, unless some of them are ?

The NSX-R LM GT2 and the Chaser LM were recreated from GT2 models because they'd been reused almost unchanged as racing modifications for the normal cars in GT2, and so it was a case of porting over the physics data and textures for them. The NSX-R GT1 Turbo and Silvia LM weren't possible to recreate without lots of difficult model editing, and by the time tools were good enough to do that they were good enough to port GT1 models with.

I've spotted a few little texture errors on some of the cars - for example, newer 3000GTs/GTOs still have left-over exhaust tips (like in GT1) above the real ones and the Lancer Evo VI rally car (from S-8 test) has a blue exhaust tip. I wonder if these can be fixed?

The GTO exhausts are on the everlasting to-do list, but I'll check out the Evo too, thanks for the report.

No problem. If I see anything else I will chime in again - if it's not an issue. I just want to help you guys out in order to make the mod even better.

If there's some major groundbreaking news like a quiet genius turning up and cracking both track export and import for GT2 based on the virtually zero research that exists, you can be sure that I'd not need to be prompted to post it here. I personally don't think it'll ever happen, and I don't have the time nor the reverse-engineering talent to even attempt it myself. There is no news on SSR11 and there will not be, the answer in the FAQ in the first post is always kept up to date.

Cars can be ported, there are a couple already in this mod like the Silvia LM. It's mostly automated, just requires manual creation of a shadow, wheel positions, wheel textures, and some other tweaking, because those things work quite differently. Cars however have the advantage of a fair bit of the model format being figured out literally decades ago, the textures being similar to standard and documented PS1 SDK formats, and GT1's formats being very similar to 2 so most research applied to both. Tracks have basically none of those advantages. Nobody's even ripped a full track model.
Maybe I'm optistic, but why not trying to contact a former member of the GT1 and GT2 dev team? that doesn't work anymore for PD, and a track magician? Maybe some guys kept sdk or informations valuable no?

Maybe I'm optistic, but why not trying to contact a former member of the GT1 and GT2 dev team? that doesn't work anymore for PD, and a track magician? Maybe some guys kept sdk or informations valuable no?

For one, I don't speak Japanese, which is immediately a big obstacle. Secondly, I wouldn't expect anyone to still have that level of technical knowledge about a file format that was designed nearly 25 years ago, and generally former developers will not / should not still be in possession of any source code belonging to their former employers. Any leaked source code would put things in a very precarious position legally too.

It's a nice idea, but having spoken before to other developers who worked on games of this era, while the game in question may be an obsession for fans, to the developers it was a project that they worked on decades ago, and moved on to the next one. That's why Kaz Yamauchi has said in interviews that he's surprised that people are still playing older GT games: to him they've been forgotten about for years.

Still, if anyone reading this happens to be friends with the probably one or two developers who were working on track tooling at PD 1997-1999, feel free to leave a post, I'd be interested to hear.

For one, I don't speak Japanese, which is immediately a big obstacle. Secondly, I wouldn't expect anyone to still have that level of technical knowledge about a file format that was designed nearly 25 years ago, and generally former developers will not / should not still be in possession of any source code belonging to their former employers. Any leaked source code would put things in a very precarious position legally too.

It's a nice idea, but having spoken before to other developers who worked on games of this era, while the game in question may be an obsession for fans, to the developers it was a project that they worked on decades ago, and moved on to the next one. That's why Kaz Yamauchi has said in interviews that he's surprised that people are still playing older GT games: to him they've been forgotten about for years.

Still, if anyone reading this happens to be friends with the probably one or two developers who were working on track tooling at PD 1997-1999, feel free to leave a post, I'd be interested to hear.
In addition even if they did somehow retain that knowledge they will likely be legally bound not to share the knowledge itself as it likely belongs to Sony/PD. The best you could hope for would be a few vague pointers, the most likely you would get is something along the lines of no comment or to just be ignored entirely.

Is there a way to remove the '67 Stingray from the opponents list for the 3rd race of the Historic Cup (Grindelwald)? It's like 30hp above the HP limit.
BTW, I drove the '97 R390 Road car and it definitely needs longer gearing, it's too short and the car tops out at 150-160mph or so. PD messed that up as well, I guess.

There have been a fair few tiny updates I've not posted recently, along with some new work, so here's a bit of a catch-up post with some of the new things coming in beta 7.

First up, Submaniac remade the special colour CR-X prize car from GT1, so I've used his palette work to put it in GT2+ alongside the others, and ported over its special RM colours too:

crxscv.png

crxscvrm.png

I then ported / remade the special colour Trueno and its RM colours, so finally the full set is available:

truenoscv.png

truenoscvrm.png

This means that GT2+ finally includes every single car from GT1, which was one of the big goals of the mod.

One change that has frequently been brought up is to fix all of the GT500 Skyline race cars to be RWD like their real-world counterparts, rather than AWD like the road cars. I'd put this one off a lot due to lack of data, but I've now resolved it by porting over the car setup from GT3's Pennzoil GT-R, which is accurately RWD. This should restore some of the drivability that was lost by cutting the AWD. All six of the incorrect Skylines are changed, and I've done a few fixes to their stats where needed (e.g. the width stat was from the road car).

skylinegt500rwd.png

I've also spent some time polishing up some car logos and older edits - the 1990 Lotus Elan for example had the 'S2' suffix removed from its name a long time ago, but trawling through the demo files brought up an accurate logo for it that matches the badging on the car.

elanlogo.png

Last, and most certainly not least, MMRivit produced an add-on mod for beta 6 that revised the Peugeot manufacturer races menu and allowed players to enter the cut Peugeot 206 races alongside the existing 106 races. With permission, I've integrated this into the base mod now, and adjusted the completion percentage to take into account the extra two events.

206race.png

That's another long-term goal ticked off - all events on the disc are now enterable in all regions. The Opel / Vauxhall manufacturer races were opened a while ago, and the 206 races are the only events that were entirely cut.

Is there a way to remove the '67 Stingray from the opponents list for the 3rd race of the Historic Cup (Grindelwald)? It's like 30hp above the HP limit.
BTW, I drove the '97 R390 Road car and it definitely needs longer gearing, it's too short and the car tops out at 150-160mph or so. PD messed that up as well, I guess.

It's possible to remove the Stingray, but (like the GT40) it's a well-known challenging quirk now, and I'm probably going to leave it as-is for the character of the game.

For the R390 gearing, I've not seen anything to suggest that the real thing wasn't equally short-geared (nor the opposite). The red road car existed for a matter of months as a show car before being dismantled, so it wasn't as if it was being road tested.

I'm fine with the GT500 Skylines getting changed to RWD (since it is more accurate). My only question is how that'll effect the one super license test. The Pennzoil GT-R at Midfield is one of the hardest super license tests to gold I'd say.

As for the R390 the longtail road car supposedly has over 500 horsepower and can go 220 mph. Then again I don't know if that thing still even exists. As far as gearing goes maybe just fudge the numbers.

As for the Corvette at Grindelwald it may be over the power limit but I don't even think it's a big deal. Same with the Vector W8 in the final MR Challenge race.

With the entire GT1 car roster and all this cut/hidden stuff restored, what else you have planned at this point? At this point it seems pretty feature complete.

I'm fine with the GT500 Skylines getting changed to RWD (since it is more accurate). My only question is how that'll effect the one super license test. The Pennzoil GT-R at Midfield is one of the hardest super license tests to gold I'd say.
With the entire GT1 car roster and all this cut/hidden stuff restored, what else you have planned at this point? At this point it seems pretty feature complete.

Licenses use their own parts data, so the GT-R at Midfield will be unaffected. Presumably PD did that so that the tests could be balanced and ghosts recorded while the GT mode parts data was still being worked on (and it meant that they didn't break anything when adding the PAL-specific cars), but the side benefit is that nothing in this mod has been able to break the licenses.

There are still plenty of bug fixes to do for the future (probably 100+ on the to-do list), and bringing back cut content was always something of a side tangent from that. I also still have the goal of cleaning up the mess that is the regional car naming, and I'm hoping to have at least some of that done in beta 7.

Hello pez2k, first of all, I want to thank you for the great mod you have created, the truth is that the game is more enjoyable with the extras.

And what you wanted to consult, in a future update could you see how to add the European version to the Impreza 22b? Since it doesn't appear in used cars, as in the US version, but it really is in the European one because it appears as an opponent of the Laguna Seca 4WD race, but currently it's impossible for me to obtain it.

Hello pez2k, first of all, I want to thank you for the great mod you have created, the truth is that the game is more enjoyable with the extras.

And what you wanted to consult, in a future update could you see how to add the European version to the Impreza 22b? Since it doesn't appear in used cars, as in the US version, but it really is in the European one because it appears as an opponent of the Laguna Seca 4WD race, but currently it's impossible for me to obtain it.
It definitely does appear in the used cars in the PAL version, just not on the same days and the NTSC regions AFAIK. However @pez2k can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure he's mentioned somewhere that he's standardising the UCD's across all regions.

It definitely does appear in the used cars in the PAL version, just not on the same days and the NTSC regions AFAIK. However @pez2k can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure he's mentioned somewhere that he's standardising the UCD's across all regions.

I'm not touching the used car lists other than to enable cars that were previously only in certain regions such as the EU 200SX, because I don't want to invalidate 20 years of guides and FAQs. The 22B should show up in PAL on day 130 as it always has, and whatever other days after that.

I'm not touching the used car lists other than to enable cars that were previously only in certain regions such as the EU 200SX, because I don't want to invalidate 20 years of guides and FAQs. The 22B should show up in PAL on day 130 as it always has, and whatever other days after that.
Ah, that must be what I was thinking of and getting it muddled. Either way, as has been said the 22B will show up, it's just not one of the most common cars to appear, nor should it be.

Last edited:
wow! day 130, compared to the NTSC version is a big difference, my conclusions were that it didn't appear directly because I'm on my way to 100 days and i didn't see them in any list change every 10 days, Also using the used car guide of the PAL version that you are on the internet, the 22b did not appear anywhere.

Thanks for the clarification dear, to continue doing events then.

It's possible to remove the Stingray, but (like the GT40) it's a well-known challenging quirk now, and I'm probably going to leave it as-is for the character of the game.

Now that you put it this way - it seems you're right, the Stingray makes the race a bit tougher and, therefore, better. So I can understand your decision.

Back