[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
@Alex Carriel True, I guess an explanation in a readme would be fine. Yeah it's against GTP's rules.

@Cedar That's because this place is where it all began, and there isn't any other places to host it for now. Sadly we have to comply to the rules, however much we might not agree on some of them. No problem for the question. I know Pez's reasoning is that the patch's extension + the straightforwardness of using Deltapatcher would be enough for people to be able to patch the game on their own. Sometimes we make oversights :)

Its against the rule if Pez make an txt and put it with the patch telling how to do it?

The readme already mentions applying the xdelta patch - I deliberately chose a very well-known tool with plenty of documentation and UI front-ends out there, so just sticking that term into Google should bring up lots of pertinent information. I don't think it's worth me repeating what plenty of other people have already written in the past on the subject, and no single tutorial will ever be quite right for everybody.

Seems kinda silly to host a mod here if explaining how to use it is forbidden by site rules.

Unfortunately this is basically the only forum on the internet that's still interested in GT2. The rules about piracy and emulation are very much a broad ban on any related discussions, so talking about what you'd apply this patch to is out of bounds.

If you can suggest anywhere better to post it though, I'm all ears.

Well, I finally tried your latest patch and I love what I'm seeing. The NSX-R LM GT2 drives quite well, feels quite stable as a matter of fact. It's nice being able to get the CLK Race Car without cheats for once.

The only oddity I noticed so far is after buying 2 Lancer Evos. They both for some reason had more hp than stock; the dark blue Evo VI I bought for instance had over 700 hp. Though, I'm not sure if that was a random bug or perhaps I accidentally activated a cheat code that I didn't intend to use. I did buy another Evo VI later and it was normal.

Anyway, that's just one incident I documented during my playthrough so far. Aside from that, it's great so far.

The readme already mentions applying the xdelta patch - I deliberately chose a very well-known tool with plenty of documentation and UI front-ends out there, so just sticking that term into Google should bring up lots of pertinent information. I don't think it's worth me repeating what plenty of other people have already written in the past on the subject, and no single tutorial will ever be quite right for everybody.

Unfortunately this is basically the only forum on the internet that's still interested in GT2. The rules about piracy and emulation are very much a broad ban on any related discussions, so talking about what you'd apply this patch to is out of bounds.

If you can suggest anywhere better to post it though, I'm all ears.
While it is cool that people are modding GT2 the emulation embargo is a problem.

I found other two cars having the same kind of 'sort order' bug:

pLkKqUN.png

Some of you may have already seen this bug in this RX-7 model, its pretty noticeable right?

8TbxtY3.png

97' Supra Turbo RM

Also, is it possible to put the imperial/metric unit in other versions of the game? I use the PAL version mainly because of the metric system, and I miss the NTSC-U soundtrack in the races.

I'm aware of the GTC's see-through sides and i'll eventually get to fix it.
As for the unit system I believe it should be possible, but I don't think we know where in the memory that bit is stored, and if we can alter it in a permanent way at all. And porting soundtrack is not viable right now (maybe in the future? Whenever we'll get to it, not a priority right now)

Also, is it possible to put the imperial/metric unit in other versions of the game?

As far as I'm aware, it's something built into the executable rather than something modifiable in the game files. I have next to no experience of reverse-engineering executables so I wouldn't expect to see such a change in my mod unless someone else figures out the patches required.

Hey there, this is a very cool mod!

Not sure if this is a known bug so far, so I'm sorry if I'm yelling in an echo chamber but the game seems to crash and hang on my PS1 over PSIO at different parts of the game (going to my cars in garage, opel calibra in the special shop, honda special shop, special event races, etc.).
I'm pretty sure this is not a PSIO bug as the stock game works 100% OK.

Hopefully the kinks will get worked out on this mod, because a complete GT2 would be real nice to play.

Not sure if this is a known bug so far, so I'm sorry if I'm yelling in an echo chamber but the game seems to crash and hang on my PS1 over PSIO at different parts of the game

Yeah, I've had reports of it not working on real PS1 or PSP hardware - as it's virtually impossible to debug why, I'm not investigating it until the mod is more or less done, as whatever the fix is might end up being broken by something else I modify further down the line.

Alpha 4.1 - 05/03/2019
Alpha 4 - 27/02/2019 (cancelled due to game limitations)
Alpha 3 - 10/07/2018
Alpha 2 - 18/05/2018
Alpha 1 - 18/05/2018 (internal test version)

Please note that for this initial alpha test release, only the Simulation disc of the PAL version of Gran Turismo 2 is supported. Other regions and the Arcade disc will be supported in later releases.

Download (alpha 4.1)

Download (demo save)[/QUOTE]
Sorry how to I patch the complete.xdelta to my gt2 ISO?

Great job! This is incredible.

Sorry if this has been asked before:

I know I shan't use my vanilla save, but is it safe to buy a car (data transfer menu) from my vanilla save?

looks like the GTiR redline fix might not of made it to GT2+ yet... KEEN AF for that...
6500RPM was always selling it short... when it actually had the beefiest SR20DET...
with a 7500RPM Redline, which should help to also fix the gear ratios that way... :)

By the way pez2k, I really think you need to update the original post to state that you cannot reveal how to apply the patches and such due to the AUP. Otherwise, people are just going to keep asking how to do it and you'll have to repeat yourself a million times.

Here's an update, more on a technical level than anything very noticeable, but important for making sure that mods work correctly.

Submaniac recently managed to figure out some of the remaining mystery data in the game's car texture format - it modifies how the car is affected by changes in track lighting. I've now written a new texture-editing tool that allows this data to be viewed and edited, and promptly fixed an illumination bug that I'd introduced when fixing the Stagea 260RS '98 RM.

The Stagea had the problem that at night, the side stripes had a gap near the headlights. This was because PD had used so many colours for the headlight glow, they didn't have space in the palette for the stripes in that area. My fix was to reduce the colour usage of the headlights slightly and use a freed-up colour to repaint the stripes. Unfortunately, as we've now learned, that particular colour slot was marked as being illuminated, and not affected by track lighting. The below screenshot shows the bug (top), and the fixed car (bottom).

illuminationfix.png

The bright blue part near the headlights is actually the same colour as the side stripes, it's just not dimmed by the night-time lighting.

Following on from this, the final bit of mystery data in the texture was also figured out by applying it onto the texture as a pseudo-palette. It seems to be effectively a mask which PD's art tools used to help the artists create each car colour. It highlights areas of the car or livery that should change colour, and masks out those that should stay the same between colours. It doesn't appear to be used anywhere in the game, but it's editable anyway.

Do you plan to?
Change the [R]Lister Storm V12 in GT All Stars and GT World Championship to a more "competitive" car (like the [R]TVR Speed 12 or the [R]Mercedes CLK Race/Touring Car), or even give the [R] Lister Storm V12 a full-tune
In the same championships, change the Lotus Elise GT1 to its [R] equivalent, since it's some pounds lighter
Correct the Apricot Hill bug that causes some cars such as the Corvette Grand Sport '96 and the AMG C43/E55 to spin out and lose even some minutes to get back to the AI path

I've already fixed the Elise GT1 opponent missing its RM, there's a screenshot in the very first post of this thread. The Lister will probably get its missing upgrades fitted, but I have no plans to replace it since it's intentionally there.

I've already fixed the Elise GT1 opponent missing its RM, there's a screenshot in the very first post of this thread. The Lister will probably get its missing upgrades fitted, but I have no plans to replace it since it's intentionally there.
Or you can add some other GT1 race modified cars like the XJ220

The infamous GT2 bug with AIs that get stuck is not something we can solve until we've researched and fully understood track files at the very least. So don't expect that to change anytime soon, if at all.

You can add the most powerful unused opponents (search kabmotosports GT2 site to the full list of the unused opponents), like the [R] Speed 12, the Espace F1, the GT90 and the ZZII to the GT All Stars and World Championship events and the Rome and SSR5 endurances.
Another bug to fix: M12 on SSR5 endurance, Xantia on Trial Mountain 30 Laps

Last edited:
You can add the most powerful unused opponents (search kabmotosports GT2 site to the full list of the unused opponents), like the [R] Speed 12, the Espace F1, the GT90 and the ZZII to the GT All Stars and World Championship events and the Rome and SSR5 endurances.
Well i think that that's in some form impossible,except for the ZZII if one as a player can barely control those cars, what do you expect for an ai that spins a corvette in a somehow easy turn

Last edited:
No AIs will be added or removed in that mod. That's not the focus. We're also aware of the various wrong AIs and they are already fixed. Other mods or your own mods, once the tooling required is made public, will be your best bet to have a custom experience :)

Back