[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
I'm wondering if something could be done about forcing some race restrictions.

The game doesn't support any restrictions other than what it currently uses - aspiration, RM / non-RM, power limit, drivetrain, and entry whitelists.

The manufacturer race entry whitelists are limited to a maximum of 32 cars, while Suzuki alone has 20 Kei cars (as RM versions are counted as separate entries in the list). The Impreza one-make event likely doesn't have a RM version for that reason - there are way too many Imprezas to fit in one entry list if RMs are included.

strange, i reckon my original new from launch version didn't have that but i would have to check back.
Power caps exist sure, and Turbo / NA limitations also occur.
Nationality/continent specific race events don't care for origin of cars. And K, wagon, muscle, etc race events only limit horsepower. Although now i understand why (thanks!)
If the game wasn't so rushed back then they could have ironed theses issues by adding other kind of specific tags to cars, no? For instance for nationality/continent race types they could have made like turbo/na. Surely each car as a tag somewhere if it's NA or Turbo. It could also have a tag for origin of car. Or specific tags for specific chassis (roadsters, wagons, Ks, etc).

I imagine a GT2 version for hardcore fans with all those restrictions put into, and maybe a decrease on horsepower limits. For years i've been playing the game with cars sometimes severely under the hp limit and it's great!

strange, i reckon my original new from launch version didn't have that but i would have to check back.
Power caps exist sure, and Turbo / NA limitations also occur.
Nationality/continent specific race events don't care for origin of cars. And K, wagon, muscle, etc race events only limit horsepower. Although now i understand why (thanks!)
If the game wasn't so rushed back then they could have ironed theses issues by adding other kind of specific tags to cars, no? For instance for nationality/continent race types they could have made like turbo/na. Surely each car as a tag somewhere if it's NA or Turbo. It could also have a tag for origin of car. Or specific tags for specific chassis (roadsters, wagons, Ks, etc).

I imagine a GT2 version for hardcore fans with all those restrictions put into, and maybe a decrease on horsepower limits. For years i've been playing the game with cars sometimes severely under the hp limit and it's great!
I think every version restricted the drive train events, bhp and aspiration. It was the other events that let you enter anything within that events power limit, the 80's event didn't restrict you to only entereing 1980's cars for example.

This is because the game doesn't atually support those types of restricctions. I think the only way they could have done it was by creating an entry list of eligible cars, but with the lists limited to a maimum of 32 they couldn't have allowed every eligible car which would be a shame.

Regarding events like the Impreza races, couldn't a race have been added that only allowed the RM versions of the car and not the road versions? That would have ben fine IMO. It did always stike me odd that some of those manufacturer events didn't have RM variants when there were plenty of eligible RM cars in the game, but I guess that was the problem, there were too many eligible cars in the game.

Last edited:

There's only one PAL release so they all behave the same - GT2+ is actually built from my own launch-day copy, some of the bugs I'd wanted to fix for 18 years!

The restrictions are all based on the car parts / physics data - a car is turbo if it has a turbo kit equipped, NA if it doesn't. There's no data at all about the manufacturers, each one is just represented by a numerical ID, so nowhere to put the country of origin (ignoring too the problem with various regions of Fords all shoved into one dealership!). There isn't much non-physics car data in the game at all, so rather than tight timescales I think PD just weren't that bothered about adding specific restrictions, and the event names / themed opponent lists are for flavour as much as anything.

I never found the restrictions that big of a problem in GT2. If anything, I think it gives more options for playthroughs; you can just go through the game using a few cars and dancing around the rules or actually make it harder by following them. I've had a lot of fun doing either.

Regarding events like the Impreza races, couldn't a race have been added that only allowed the RM versions of the car and not the road versions?
Each Impreza new to GT2 has 2 RM variants.
All of them added up, and including the older, GT1 bodied imprezas, we get a total of 38 RMs, and that's without including the Impreza Rally Car 97, 99, and the Cusco Impreza. So a total of 41 racing Impreza models, all of which take one slot in the list.
The way i'd do it, would be to make 2 races, one for newer impreza models, one for the older ones. That's the only way i can see it happening ^^'
I've never played with the entry restriction lists in GT2 myself, i should try it one day

hello everyone ... I'm re-playing the most beautiful driving game ever created precisely gt2 ... on you tube I saw the nismo gt with 2823 hp !!! ... I thought it was a cheat or a mod .. a patch. then I searched and came to this forum .. I wanted to ask you if you can know where that car is and if you take care of the power increase .. it would be nice to see cars faster than the escudo ... you can find patches with changes to high speed or is 2823 just a number?

The way i'd do it, would be to make 2 races, one for newer impreza models, one for the older ones. That's the only way i can see it happening

It's looking like adding new events is not currently possible unfortunately - there's a hardcoded event list which the menus seem to rely on to load events correctly.

on you tube I saw the nismo gt with 2823 hp !!! ... I thought it was a cheat or a mod .. a patch. then I searched and came to this forum .. I wanted to ask you if you can know where that car is and if you take care of the power increase

There's nothing in this mod that increases the power of the cars like that. I would guess that it's a 'hybrid' car, using cheats or savegame editing to replace a car's parts with better versions from other cars.

Hello, is it normal that there are cutouts on one side of the bumper, but not on the other? Car-Nissan Skyline 25GT Turbo (Photo attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210106_223025.jpg
    Screenshot_20210106_223025.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210106_223050.jpg
    Screenshot_20210106_223050.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 55
I think every version restricted the drive train events, bhp and aspiration. It was the other events that let you enter anything within that events power limit, the 80's event didn't restrict you to only entereing 1980's cars for example.

This is because the game doesn't atually support those types of restricctions. I think the only way they could have done it was by creating an entry list of eligible cars, but with the lists limited to a maimum of 32 they couldn't have allowed every eligible car which would be a shame.

Regarding events like the Impreza races, couldn't a race have been added that only allowed the RM versions of the car and not the road versions? That would have ben fine IMO. It did always stike me odd that some of those manufacturer events didn't have RM variants when there were plenty of eligible RM cars in the game, but I guess that was the problem, there were too many eligible cars in the game.

There's only one PAL release so they all behave the same - GT2+ is actually built from my own launch-day copy, some of the bugs I'd wanted to fix for 18 years!

The restrictions are all based on the car parts / physics data - a car is turbo if it has a turbo kit equipped, NA if it doesn't. There's no data at all about the manufacturers, each one is just represented by a numerical ID, so nowhere to put the country of origin (ignoring too the problem with various regions of Fords all shoved into one dealership!). There isn't much non-physics car data in the game at all, so rather than tight timescales I think PD just weren't that bothered about adding specific restrictions, and the event names / themed opponent lists are for flavour as much as anything.

well at the end of the day the restrictions would add a touch of realism or even make the game harder, but that was probably not that good of an idea back then. Most of us were kids, and some like me didn't even had the game in their native language ahah. i must have played the game through dozens of times and with this mod the game will feel fresh next time i play through!

great work pez2k

About the bumper side vent, see the '97 R33 models, and the lancer Evo VI models, similar stuff. It was just a design choice thay was i guess somewhat popular back then.

There's probably a cooler on one side but not the other - the real-world Murcielago LP640 has different side skirts on each side due to that.

Do You plan to further increase the capacity of the garage? Only one hundred cars is not enough. Because towards the end of the game I have to remove some cars from the garage, otherwise the new prize cars simply disappear(

Last edited:
Each Impreza new to GT2 has 2 RM variants.
I should clarify there's an exception to this - the 22B - but I don't it affects the count much.
Do You plan to further increase the capacity of the garage? Only one hundred cars is not enough. Because towards the end of the game I have to remove some cars from the garage, otherwise the new prize cars simply disappear(
Not possible I think, due to how the game memory/code works. (If the speed test bug tells you anything, some stats like money and days are located after the 100th car slot.)

Car limit is hardcoded due to where money, day and i believe the number of cars owned stat is are, which is at the 101st 'slot'
There's technically room for more cars after that, but no way to actually make that usable without editing the code.

22b's single body was counted since i counted the cars from my body list rather than by maths heh

Out of curiosity, how'd the Vectra SRi get it's inclusion with the mod? Was there base info in the game's files, a personal build/addon, etc? Other than a different engine/trim level, I'm not seeing much of a difference between this and the GSi variant, substantially.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how'd the Vectra SRi get it's inclusion with the mod?

Right up through all of the demos, the Vectra was the 2.0 16v, and only very late in development was it replaced by the 2.5 GSi with its bodykit and V6 engine. The model and textures used in the mod are from the GT2 demos, with SRi wheels added as that is the only model that had the 2.0 plus the rear wing. Physics-wise it's based on the GSi and the Astra, as the demos don't have much easily-usable data.

There's an Opel version too, the Vectra Sport, but I couldn't find any good references that it was ever available with the rear wing as a factory option, and with the limit on the number of cars that can be added I decided to trim it down to just the Vauxhall version. The Opel version of the GSi isn't really correct either though, I believe the closest real-world model is the Irmscher-modified i500, which would need some accuracy fixes.

Is there a reason to keep the Nismo 400R Preceiding Model alongside with the Nismo 400R? Stock form, they're virtually the same, only with tuning I found that the prototype has 2BHP less in full tune and a lack of racing modification. Didn't check weight differences, though.

Is there a reason to keep the Nismo 400R Preceiding Model alongside with the Nismo 400R?

I'm not cutting cars from the stock game - if PD made it then it stays. The only exception has been replacing older / worse versions of a model with better versions from another release of the game, for example swapping the real Esso liveries in place of the US-only Exxon liveries, using the later and fixed Shelby Mustang models, and using the more detailed demo S14 Silvia model.

Hello, I heard that the game has such a car Shelby GT500KR, but in the game I see the Shelby GT500 model, please tell me if there are any differences in these models?

Back