[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
Hello, I made a racing modification for the Peugeot 306 S16 in a white-red livery, but during the game the car is repainted in a white-blue-red livery
Screenshot_20210206_191617_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg
Screenshot_20210206_191753_com.epsxe.ePSXe.jpg

It always pissed me off that this Plymouth in the game was called "Muscle Car". Is it possible to give this car a correct name "Road Runner"?

View attachment 990244
It always pisses me off when I see any other Cuda than this one: https://rfsportscars.com/1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda-tribute-c-377.htm

Sorry, but I just.. had to :rolleyes: Every time I hear the word "Cuda" that's the first thing that comes to mind.. There is only ONE Cuda and that is it.

EDIT: Oh!.. Why have I assumed that was a Cuda in the first place.. I guess I go blind when I come close to the subject.. :))

Last edited:
This has already been discussed. Short answer is "no".

Long answer is yes, I want to, I have most of the files ready to do so, but I'd need to alter the text on the New Car Dealership screen, which is pretty difficult to do as it's painted onto the background.

Long answer is yes, I want to, I have most of the files ready to do so, but I'd need to alter the text on the New Car Dealership screen, which is pretty difficult to do as it's painted onto the background.

I remembered there being a licensing issue in the first place. That's where I got the "no".

I remembered there being a licensing issue in the first place. That's where I got the "no".

Maybe this being an unofficial mod, those licensing rules do not apply to that extent ?
I can live with or without this little change myself, so I have no bias on the matter.
Of course, for the sake of consistency at least, I would deffinitely take any bit of improvement.

Last edited:
It always pissed me off that this Plymouth in the game was called "Muscle Car". Is it possible to give this car a correct name "Road Runner"?

View attachment 990244

View attachment 990253

Is that what that color is supposed to be? Could we make it more accurate? Like, the game does have a contrast option for colors, right? I've noticed that in some cars, where it seems to be used to give a shinier, metallic effect.

Change the values for it to have more saturation and a bit more contrast, it'll look great.

Also, can names be added to colors without names?

Hello, I have a question, is it possible to increase the tracklist of music (I mean to transfer music from GT1 to GT2+)?

From what I'm understanding, not easily, as track lengths are hardcoded per region and switching out tracks can cause either skipping or silent parts.
Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Already discussed, if you bothered to read through comments here.

Last edited:
Is that what that color is supposed to be? Could we make it more accurate? Like, the game does have a contrast option for colors, right?
Also, can names be added to colors without names?

The car colours are RGB values per pixel, so it is possible to adjust the colours but there are a lot of values to change. I'm not even worrying about inaccurate colours because there are hundreds if not thousands of them.

Colours without a name actually just have blank names, so it's easy to add names for them.

Hello, I have a question, is it possible to increase the tracklist of music (I mean to transfer music from GT1 to GT2+)?

As above, nothing can be changed with the music because it's all hardcoded in the game.

The car colours are RGB values per pixel, so it is possible to adjust the colours but there are a lot of values to change[...]

Do you mean, like, a texture? Like, does each color have it's own texture then? I think I got that wrong because that seems like it wouldn't fit in a disc, considering how many cars and colors there are. Just recoloring them would surely be much more reasonable.

Do you mean, like, a texture? Like, does each color have it's own texture then? I think I got that wrong because that seems like it wouldn't fit in a disc, considering how many cars and colors there are. Just recoloring them would surely be much more reasonable.

Each car has a single texture with no palette, then each car colour consists of 16 16-colour palettes for that texture. To recolour one particular car colour you need to be editing a large amount of those 256 palette colours.

I suspect PD had tooling to do this in a more automated fashion as there's data in the palettes that seems to indicate painted / coloured parts of the car, and a lot of early renders showed cars in un-colourised silver. Unfortunately we don't have PD's tools, and I've written the best texture tools that I reasonably can thus far.

Short version: colors are textured, there is no hue picker like in games such as Toca World Touring Cars and other games that let you recolor cars using sliders

It is fantastic work though, worth repeating twice :). I don't think I'd seen that video before, just the one on Grindelwald so nice to see it. It's such a shame there's a limit to the maximum number of car models you can actually include in GT2, the floodgates would literally open if not.

Last edited:
For mods, there are a lot of other games, for example the one in the picture. It seems to me that GT 2 is better left as it is, there are many great cars without mods.

I mean, this is literally the thread for a mod that adds cars, so...

In all seriousness, I'm not likely to be adding any cars that aren't based on cut content - while there surely will be many possibilities opened up when commongear's work is done, I'm more interested in fixing bugs with it.

I'm still hoping that PD would release at least one GT game on PC with online capabilities.. in this lifetime :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm all about improving the variety with no anachronism. Everything i add will be period specific for the game. 1998 jgtc cars, better models for some and such
Meme cars, recent cars and everything will have to be done by people who want them in the game [/ QUOTE]

about it .. after cerumo castrol and denso you could insert a tiger medllo above .. but I didn't say anything .. I know it must not be easy

Attachments

• 120126657_2685586735033699_5834448970402423784_o.jpg
    120126657_2685586735033699_5834448970402423784_o.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I would like to thank you for the great work that was put into the mod! I will be starting a lets play on Gran Turismo 2 plus soon. Hopefully some car mods will be added in this mod!

Hei, take a look at these screenshots.

during the race, notice the really awkward triangular shape
e0XBHndl.png

car screen
AtslPtDl.png

The Vecra has a really odd looking exhaust tip during races.looks alright outside races.
Found the same problem on both Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2.0 16v (prize for third german nationals race) and Vectra GSi 2.5 V6 (pictured). I'm sure Opel Vectras have the same problem.

i think they were trying to go for the double exhaust tipo as per original model, but didn't end up well done

2JyEAIjl.jpg

Last edited:
It's an issue with the polygon priority which causes the exhaust pipe to be sene through the body at certain angles. It's a common issue with gt1 and gt2 sadly. Easy fix, but there are so many that it's better to wait for easy tools to work with.

This is a long, long way away from being done or even usably functional, but I figured it's worth a sneak preview of what I've been working on thanks to commongear's breakthroughs in how GT2 stores its reflection data. Bear in mind that it's missing a shadow, the reflections aren't quite right, the scale and wheel positions are quite obviously completely wrong, and it still needs its own name and physics data, but... here's the Silvia LM Edition in GT2, nearly.

s14lmtest7.png

s14lmtest10.png

This is a long, long way away from being done or even usably functional, but I figured it's worth a sneak preview of what I've been working on thanks to commongear's breakthroughs in how GT2 stores its reflection data. Bear in mind that it's missing a shadow, the reflections aren't quite right, the scale and wheel positions are quite obviously completely wrong, and it still needs its own name and physics data, but... here's the Silvia LM Edition in GT2, nearly.

s14lmtest7.png

s14lmtest10.png
This is what Kazunori's nightmare looks like:nervous::)

Back