[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
The only real limitation that comes into play is the maximum number of bodies, and I've taken that into account with my plans. I actually spent a bit of time last weekend figuring out how to patch the license and rally ghost data in the US version to remove the need for the four Exxon bodies they use, so there's a bit of flexibility available now.

It's never going to be possible to add everything PD is known to have planned, because a lot of it simply doesn't exist. Once this mod is fully finished though, everything that exists in any notable way will be back (Ruf BTR4 with a model but no physics, Vectra 2.0 with a model in a demo but no physics, C55 AMG with a name and logo but an easily recreatable body, Silvia LM with a body that can be adapted from GT1, etc).

It's also worth noting that the focus of this mod is really bug fixes over new content, and the balance between the two has been skewed quite heavily towards the flashy new cars just due to those getting the most attention and enjoyment, however there are a finite number that will be coming and it may well be that in a few versions' time they'll all be done and later versions will just round off the huge list of minor bugs.

There are no plans of mine that will stress the PS1 hardware any more than the original game, and a fully accurate emulator would share those restrictions anyway. The only modification I know of that would make hardware struggle is the 60fps hack, and obviously that's out of the scope of this mod anyway.

In fact, the content added in the game is more a matter of space in the GT2 CD-ROM than having anything with hardware limitations, the maximum storage for a PS1 disc is like 700 MB. Don't know if the PS1 RAM get affected by the content added? Maybe?

With the latest version of the mod, the PAL version Simulation disk contains 695 MB, and the US version is only 624 MB. At the same time, the content seems to be the same in both versions. I don't understand why there is such a big difference:confused:

In fact, the content added in the game is more a matter of space in the GT2 CD-ROM than having anything with hardware limitations, the maximum storage for a PS1 disc is like 700 MB.

A car model is as small as 6kb on disc, there's no risk of running out of disc space any time soon.

With the latest version of the mod, the PAL version Simulation disk contains 695 MB, and the US version is only 624 MB. At the same time, the content seems to be the same in both versions. I don't understand why there is such a big difference:confused:

The PAL version contains five languages, and the bulk of the size on disc is the localised GT mode menu textures.

A car model is as small as 6kb on disc, there's no risk of running out of disc space any time soon.

The PAL version contains five languages, and the bulk of the size on disc is the localised GT mode menu textures.
Now it's clear:idea: The US version is better imo, only the imperial units spoil it.

[...]The US version is better imo, only the imperial units spoil it.

[...]sadly we have miles instead of kmh

Silent made cheat codes for that:

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/mods/gran-turismo-2/

And about that... for some reason his codes for widescreen don't work properly for me. They are TOO wide, like a triple monitor resolution (but sadly not actually, it's a little bit less wide than that, so it wouldn't be right on a triple monitor setup). Anyone know how to solve that? He says to turn widescreen hacks off, but I don't have any on.

I have been winning the endurance laguna seca for days to win the 3000gt white color ... as usual today, I won the usual teal or celica rally, repeatedly pressed F3 ... someone can tell me if the 3000 gt white is it present in the update or is it useless to keep trying?

@Mattiko88 Yes it's in. You're just unlucky. You'd be better off using a buy any car code or a color modifier code to swap your teal to white.

@CaravanSS76 Considering you're the only one getting this bug that i know of, no? I mean, even if we tried, and like Pez said, we don't have enough to even reproduce the bug, the way points are given and places are determined isn't even something we can edit in the first place i'm pretty sure.

@Mattiko88 Yes it's in. You're just unlucky. You'd be better off using a buy any car code or a color modifier code to swap your teal to white.

I'm not good with the emulation cheater, that is, I install it but when I press "send" it tells me something about the plugin and I leave .. the only tricks I put are the ones from the emulator, the text files ... sometimes I can add some items to the list but even these additions of mine disappear after a while ... I saw the gt40 Mark III, I would like to try it but I don't know how to do it ..

Last edited:
I managed to insert the artificial intelligence tricks thanks to a video on youtube, in the description there were the pal tricks and after I wrote them I was baptized for good in the gt500 XD ... apparently add new entries to the file text works if the codes are correct

I'm not good with the emulation cheater, that is, I install it but when I press "send" it tells me something about the plugin and I leave .. the only tricks I put are the ones from the emulator, the text files ... sometimes I can add some items to the list but even these additions of mine disappear after a while ... I saw the gt40 Mark III, I would like to try it but I don't know how to do it ..
Oh, that's your problem? That's actually a simple fix. On your emulator, you just need to go to config, click video, then switch the main plugin to PEC. That's probably why PEC wasn't working for you.

There are only two different Ford GT40's in this game, the 1966 model is freely available for 500,000 in the Special Ford's slot, and the 1969 Gulf GT40 you can get for winning the last mid-engined race. I don't understand where did you find the problem?

There are only two different Ford GT40's in this game, the 1966 model is freely available for 500,000 in the Special Ford's slot, and the 1969 Gulf GT40 you can get for winning the last mid-engined race. I don't understand where did you find the problem?
The GT40 Mark III (Which resembles not the real GT40 Mark III, but instead appears as the Gulf car with a black rear deck) is a hidden car in the game. Except it's not a full car, it exists in the code only as a body.

anyway guys with increased AI it is impossible to play .. the opponents make ridiculous the records of the gold licenses .. every curve they make is illegal. Not to mention the start .. I don't know how they start and take me off 50 meters after the first two or three seconds ... ok artificial intelligence but this is total humiliation... a middle ground would have been preferable

The GT40 Mark III (Which resembles not the real GT40 Mark III, but instead appears as the Gulf car with a black rear deck) is a hidden car in the game. Except it's not a full car, it exists in the code only as a body.
I found a video with this GT40 on YouTube, but in the game itself I have never met this car.

I saw the gt40 Mark III, I would like to try it but I don't know how to do it ..

Any broken / unused models are deleted in this mod, including the unfinished and misnamed GT40 model.

Can I suggest that a lot of this Gameshark code / emulation discussion probably belongs in another thread?

I think that it could be better if the special color prize cars were prizes for the Racing Modified events rather than the normal ones, because otherwise it's too easy to get them.

I bought the cheapest R32 GT-R, did a race without even needing to modify anything in it, and won the race and won another R32.

I think that it could be better if the special color prize cars were prizes for the Racing Modified events rather than the normal ones, because otherwise it's too easy to get them.

I don't think it's too unbalanced - you generally need a car at least as fast as the prize car to win it, and even if you sell it on you'd need to do four races to recoup the minimum cost of buying a car to enter. Some of the Racing events already have prizes of their own too.

I guess it's just my dream of having a slower-paced GT2, with three times the events, where every Special Event race that is a single race event was expanded into a 3 race cup. Sort of like how GT3 had some events repeated in different leagues with different levels of competition. The individual races in GT2 sort of are like that, diferent levels.

But that made me think, is something like that possible? Replacing a single race with a championship? Whether it be specific tracks in the main events, or a random tracks cup, like on the event generator, in the one-make events. Changing the menus to show which tracks you would race on, or even just to tell it's a championship would be hard, I know, but about the events themselves?

Last edited:
But that made me think, is something like that possible? Replacing a single race with a championship?

It's possible to add events to the list of races, however the game is hardcoded to only support certain event IDs and will load things like the license and entry restrictions from the first ID (4WD0001) if the event's ID isn't listed. This makes it impossible in practice, as championships are handled as multiple separate events.

Pez, you said your goal was to reimplement everything from beta versions, and that that would be enough to hit the game car limit, but how "repetitive" would the content be? Could there be a chance to get a few new stuff in the game other than the beta stuff?

One that I thought, which I wanted to make with hybriding (which I guess would be a reason NOT to make it as a mod), was an Eclipse GSX, using the 4WD drivetrain of the Lancer. And new trim levels for some cars that don't have any could be nice.

Hello Dear Developers, i Wanted to say you about new cars. as I found out yesterday, several people have already learned how to add cars to Gran Turismo 2, I saw 2 videos about adding Lada 2106, and McLaren Mp4 / 4 Ayrton Senna. I would like you to add their code and add them to the game.
youtube.com/watch?v=N9wizlbomPY

here are the links to these cars. if possible, find similar models, and add them to the game. thank you for your time and attention

Hello Dear Developers, i Wanted to say you about new cars. as I found out yesterday, several people have already learned how to add cars to Gran Turismo 2, I saw 2 videos about adding Lada 2106, and McLaren Mp4 / 4 Ayrton Senna. I would like you to add their code and add them to the game.
youtube.com/watch?v=N9wizlbomPY

here are the links to these cars. if possible, find similar models, and add them to the game. thank you for your time and attention

It's not the mod for that, this is a resoration and bug fixing mod not an additional custom content one. Also as this overwites original content i.e. the Espace F1, it's likely it would not be for everyone.

Last edited:
Pez, you said your goal was to reimplement everything from beta versions, and that that would be enough to hit the game car limit, but how "repetitive" would the content be? Could there be a chance to get a few new stuff in the game other than the beta stuff?

The car limit is hit long before restoring everything that was cut, so I'm already excluding anything too similar to things that are in the base game or the mod (e.g. the Opel Vectra 2.0 or the Mini 'Euro'). The only places the mod content will be similar is where I'm finishing cars that were already taking up space on the disc, like the Integra GS and LS, or the Ruf BR2 and BR4.

I've made a few other trim levels in the past like the R34 GT-R N1, 155 Q4, and early C4 ZR-1, but that was before knowing about the body limit. I might release them as a bundle at some point with some other variations, but not as part of GT2+. All of the files for them are in the GT2+ GitHub repo somewhere if someone really wanted to add them for personal use.

I saw 2 videos about adding Lada 2106, and McLaren Mp4 / 4 Ayrton Senna. I would like you to add their code and add them to the game.

The model importing tool is not finished and the cars aren't fully functional yet. There's also a low limit on how much new content can be added to GT2 before it crashes. With my mod I'm focusing on fixing bugs and finishing what Polyphony didn't, rather than adding totally new cars that may vary wildly in quality and art style. There's nothing preventing you or anyone else from installing other mods into your personal copy of the game however.

The car limit is hit long before restoring everything that was cut, so I'm already excluding anything too similar to things that are in the base game or the mod (e.g. the Opel Vectra 2.0 or the Mini 'Euro')[...]
I've made a few other trim levels in the past like the R34 GT-R N1, 155 Q4, and early C4 ZR-1, but that was before knowing about the body limit. I might release them as a bundle at some point with some other variations, but not as part of GT2+[...]

A separate mod for some new stuff like that would be nice. About the Vectra, there is a new one in the mod, right? When you say you excluded it, you mean the Opel version? And someone said it before, but since the version in the dealership is the better version, it would be nice if that was the prize, and the new one should replace it, even if the car icon in the listing is wrong. Or would it be? Wasn't it wrong to begin with? Showing the cut, lower end model?

Also, talking about saving space, are the colors that show up in the used car dealership completely random or are them set in a list? I assume the latter, since they seem to always be the same on multiple playthroughs, unless the game has a fixed "seed" for the randomization. If they are set on a list, I want to know, are the special color cars the same car just with a new color that's unavailable in the UCD? They aren't a separate car, right? That would be wasteful. I assume that's why they don't have unique RM colors too like in GT1.

A separate mod for some new stuff like that would be nice. About the Vectra, there is a new one in the mod, right? When you say you excluded it, you mean the Opel version? And someone said it before, but since the version in the dealership is the better version, it would be nice if that was the prize, and the new one should replace it, even if the car icon in the listing is wrong.

There is a Vectra yeah, the Vauxhall - rather than adding both that and the Opel version, I've just added one of them, as the Vauxhall model is more accurate to the real thing. As for switching what's in the dealership, I'm trying to make fairly minimal amounts of design changes to the game, more of a sympathetic set of fixes while keeping the original game intact. The menu text is part of the background, so I'd just be introducing more bugs by having the 'Vectra GSi 2.5' button take you to purchase a 2.0 instead, and it's not worth the time to figure out how edit the menus to solve it. It would also mean an early-game event giving a faster prize car than it already does, which I'm not keen on in terms of game balance.

Also, talking about saving space, are the colors that show up in the used car dealership completely random or are them set in a list? ... If they are set on a list, I want to know, are the special color cars the same car just with a new color that's unavailable in the UCD? They aren't a separate car, right? That would be wasteful. I assume that's why they don't have unique RM colors too like in GT1.

Yeah, the used cars are all pre-set including their prices, with a different list per region. The special colour cars are separate cars as they're an exact port from GT1 wherever possible, which had them as separate. It also means that they can and do have unique RM colours, where GT1 did (for example the Eunos Roadster or the Evo 4). Some of them are cars from the new car dealership too, where there's no way to hide colours until GT4.

The special colours take priority over more scratch-made content because they were created by Polyphony and were fully finished, they just weren't all carried over to the sequel.

Back