[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
would it be possible to make a (or two) race modifications for the r390 road car? if applies they look like the race car version but without the spoiler? mabye ?

I could clone the racecars, but I'm not sure there's much point - they'd just be worse versions of the racecar that look the same.

To make full use of PD's leftovers, after fixing the Venturi Atlantique 300 Biturbo I decided to turn their original broken version into an accurate Venturi Atlantique. This was a very limited naturally aspirated DOHC version, estimated at only three built. Basically, in 1997 Peugeot and Renault switched over from the old SOHC PRV V6 to the new DOHC ES9 / L7X V6, which presumably left Venturi without an engine supply. The old 285ps single turbo PRV Atlantique 300 was discontinued, and Venturi built the Atlantique (no suffix) with a naturally aspirated L7X and the 4-speed auto that it came with in the Peugeot 605. By 1998 they'd developed a twin-turbo L7X and mated it to the old Renault 5-speed manual, which is the 300 Biturbo ingame.

Long story short, this is the Atlantique 300 from the retail game with the name fixed and the real-world automatic transmission. It's a little slower, but the Biturbo in the dealership is much quicker. The naturally aspirated Atlantique also has a NA Tune option for variety.

venturi-na.png

This will probably be the last teaser for a little while - I've more or less caught up with what I'm working on. Hopefully alpha 4 isn't more than a few weeks out at this point, I just have to finish off all of the small details like adding these new cars to the AI opponent roster, and fixing a few outstanding bugs and issues. There may also be a little bit more new content than I've shown too.

lol just found a bug that kinds surprises me for a while now... if you buy a car (in this case subaru rally , speciakl section, ) the Hp is at 295.. its okay lol, but after you buy it in the garage it has 476hp

That's a deliberate design choice by PD - the dealership figures show what the car would be advertised at, but the garage is what it actually produces. PD didn't simulate the air restrictors used in WRC cars hence the very high power output. The feature is also used to reproduce the Skyline GT-Rs and other cars of the period being advertised at no more than 280ps, but making as much as 320-330ps in reality.

I actually like that design choice, making a nod to the 1990s horsepower agreement made in Japan. Where car makes advertise their sports cars as only having 276 hp, but in reality have over 300 in multiple cases.

So do I, and yeah that's the "Japanese gentlemans agreement". That design by PD is also homage to the classic muscle car era insurance claims, like the 426 hemi made more than the claimed 425hp and ect.

Not a daily teaser but just something I happen to have added today - the Winfield Evo V is now available from the Special dealership rather than having to throw it in as a random prize car somewhere. The prize will be removed for now, but replaced with something else in the long term (think alpha 5 or 6).

evo5winfield-dealer.png

I've seen that a GT2 demo existed an Audi A4 Avant. Would it be possible to include it in the GT2 Plus?

Just a heads-up, I modified that car's rims (and the E36) so it has proper rims, but apparently there's a reflection issue with the Avant.

I've seen that a GT2 demo existed an Audi A4 Avant. Would it be possible to include it in the GT2 Plus?

Oh, it's definitely possible and I know this because that's my video. Also, that was the final version of GT2, not a demo.

The car doesn't have fully working reflections as the model was unfinished. That's the one thing that hasn't yet been cracked, so I can't fix it yet. I believe the same applies to the E36 BMW in the same demo.

The car doesn't have fully working reflections as the model was unfinished. That's the one thing that hasn't yet been cracked, so I can't fix it yet. I believe the same applies to the E36 BMW in the same demo.
Will they be able to add reflections in the future? I saw that the wheels do not match the body.

Will they be able to add reflections in the future? I saw that the wheels do not match the body.

I certainly hope I can figure out how the reflections work at some point, as it's the only thing blocking a proper model editor. Unfortunately however, it's not obvious at all how they work, and I don't think anyone else has researched it either.

Wheels on the other hand are trivial to change, that's not a problem.

No, the e36 had reflections.

Ah, there may be another reason I wrote it off as incomplete then. I'll have to take another look at it some time.

will you put the censored
or the uncensored?

I'll try to make time to put submaniac's mod in, but I really want to get alpha 4 out so I'm trying not to just keep including more and more stuff. I could easily spend another six months on it, but I'd rather release something soon.

Here's a little fix I've done this evening - the stripes on the Viper GTS-R were both off-centre and misaligned, with the alignment problems also giving it two Viper logos on the back. It also had a chunk of the texture outright missing from the rear bumper, and a transparent hole in both front wings.

gtsr-fixes.gif

The fix was mostly just adjusting the UV mapping coordinates in the model, with one minor texture edit to widen the stripes on the rear bumper, and one to fill in the transparent hole.

Here's a little fix I've done this evening - the stripes on the Viper GTS-R were both off-centre and misaligned, with the alignment problems also giving it two Viper logos on the back. It also had a chunk of the texture outright missing from the rear bumper, and a transparent hole in both front wings.

gtsr-fixes.gif

The fix was mostly just adjusting the UV mapping coordinates in the model, with one minor texture edit to widen the stripes on the rear bumper, and one to fill in the transparent hole.

The GTS-R is the only Viper that this issue? Other Vipers have aligned stripes?

I actually like that design choice, making a nod to the 1990s horsepower agreement made in Japan. Where car makes advertise their sports cars as only having 276 hp, but in reality have over 300 in multiple cases.

Although i agree with you on that, almost every car in this game (not talking about the modded version as i never played it) has different power at the dealer, in garage and even in setup page :)
And for rally cars i think that big difference is to just give them more power. In this game 300hp would not feel as quick as the real WRC cars.

Adding to that Vectra, its a great little detail. ALL your work is great! :)
It finally abides supertouring rules on engine displacement.

Question 1:
Is it possible to alter the Mondeo engine stats when RM'ed?
When Ford was preparing to start at Touring Cars, they took their V6 2.5 engine and downgraded it to 2 liters to meet supertouring rules on engine displacement.
(quick fun fact: This engine came originally from Mazda and was slightly developed by Ford after that)

I am not sure if this is not already in the game, so i am sorry if it is.

Question 2:

Will this game be available to play at 60fps?

Question 3:
Is/will this mod be playable on the real hardware? (either PS1 or PS3 - i have a debug model which does not care about originality of the disc, PS1 game can also be played from DVD)

Last edited:
The reason why they all have different power values is quite simple. Dealerships just look up a number that's written in a car's data, and the rest of the game displays a number calculated from torque values (and a bunch of multipliers due to the various parts a car can have) through whatever complex system Polyphony created, in PS, then translated to HP for us westerners. However, they forgot(i think? unless it's deliberate but it's weird) to translate the settings menu's values, which displays PS values even though it uses the HP graphic.

Q1. No. The RM is literally only a body swap. In order to alter any of the car's stats you would have to make it a standalone model (un?)fortunately.

Q2. If you mean forced 60 on PAL then no. the games will only play at their respective FPS (because that's not something we can alter really as far as I know)

Q3. That's the goal, though so far it hasn't proven to be doable yet. People have reported crashes on start on PS1 and I think PSP. So far only emulators were able to successfully start it.

Although i agree with you on that, almost every car in this game (not talking about the modded version as i never played it) has different power at the dealer, in garage and even in setup page

To elaborate on the response above, the game displays the power in a different way in each menu.

In the dealership, a hard-coded power number in PS (metric horsepower) is displayed converted to BHP (imperial horsepower). The torque figure is displayed exactly in kgm, and the two RPM figures are displayed exactly. This means that the dealership can list the specific figures that the manufacturer claimed for that car (including showing peak torque as a range of RPM instead of one value).

In the garage, the actual calculated peak PS power figure from the car physics is shown, converted to BHP. The physics engine is not detailed enough to be able to exactly replicate the manufacturer-claimed figures, so there's usually a slight variance here. The physics engine value has to be used as it's the only one that includes upgrade multipliers.

In the settings menu, the actual calculated peak PS power figure from the car physics is shown, but without the BHP conversion. This menu is a completely separate menu system from the GT Mode menus, so has its own independent logic (and its own bugs).

In the Japanese version, all values are displayed in PS, without any BHP conversion. Ideally all versions should be patched to behave that way, however it would involve editing the actual game code, which I'm not going to be able to do.

For reference, the power limits on events are in PS too, but converted to BHP for display. This means that a 600 PS limit is displayed as 591 BHP, despite the limit actually being 591.8 BHP. This means that you can have a tuned car with 600.1 PS, that the game shows as 591 BHP, but can't enter a 591 BHP race as it's really making 591.9 BHP. Very confusing for a player.

Will this game be available to play at 60fps?

Currently I'm only supporting the PAL release as it's the most complete and bug-free out of the box, however I do intend to support the NTSC versions of the game down the line, it just involves back-porting the PAL content and fixes from PD on top of the GT2+ work.

Again, ideally the PAL version would be patched to output in PAL-60, but this is not possible for me to do, nor am I fully sure the PS1 supported it.

Is/will this mod be playable on the real hardware?

I would like it to be yes, and haven't done anything that explicitly won't work on hardware, however I haven't tested it and won't be until the mod is much more complete. I have been told that alpha 3 was not compatible with a real PS1, but I've never looked into it. If it isn't compatible, then figuring out why may be quite an involved task.

Hi pez2k, the last gt2 release was the japanese version called "PSone books" launched the 5 December 2002, we
are sure the last "stable" and patched version is the euro version? Thanks

The release order was JP 1.0, US 1.0, US 1.1, JP 1.1, US 1.2, PAL. There were different brandings and re-releases, but fundamentally there are only those six versions.

The Arcade disc differed slightly in that it had no JP 1.1 or US 1.2 release and the previous versions for those regions were used instead (this is another issue I need to fix!).

For example, the PAL Platinum release has a different case and disc art, but the data on the disc is identical to any other PAL disc. That Japanese re-release will be JP 1.1 on the GT Mode disc and JP 1.0 on the Arcade disc, which are both older than PAL.

if i'm not wrong, the exe has a different "date modified", I dont have the disc but I read this in some site..
Even so ... there is the possibility to fix errors of a version without changing the revision ID.

The next alpha is still available only for Europe? ty

File modified dates mean nothing, it's the actual contents that matter.

There is no revision ID, it's just a shorthand way of referring to each version. Technically they are identified by a hash of the contents of the disc - any change at all would count as a different revision.

Alpha 4 is PAL only, yes, as I want to get it out in the next few weeks. A NTSC conversion could be a month of work or more.

Question 3:
Is/will this mod be playable on the real hardware? (either PS1 or PS3 - i have a debug model which does not care about originality of the disc, PS1 game can also be played from DVD)

In PS Classic works perfectly and if you want the 60fps just go in the settings (accessible with Select+Triangle), search in the settings and when you will find "region" (or something similar, I don't remember lol) select "NTSC" instead of "Auto" (in this case PAL) or PAL. Of course you must have a BleemSynched PS Classic. Anyway I'm sure that works because uses an &mùl4t0r and not a real hardware. And finally in PSP crashes, but I dunno if is it a problem of the PSP

Back