[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
It's an MCR full memory card image, and yes, as mentioned in the readme, use a tool such as MemcardRex to convert it to whichever format you need or extract an individual save.

Rally fix out already? I've been so busy that I couldn't even try the original 5.0.
Awesome work like always, thanks for all the time and effort to make this a thing.

A suggestion. For the next release, fix another old bug from the original GT2. At least on the American versions, the Peugeot 206 Rally Car with the ESSO banner is wrongly identified in the garage as the 206 S16, while its EXXON conterpart has the correct name.

Couldn't you guys change the banner and name from the Plymouth Muscle Car to Road Runner? Like, it's not possible to change the name on the icon on the shop, right? But you could still change the rest.
And I thought you would have changed the touring car's names too.

Such requires graphic editing. Is that possible yet? I thought it was postulated that such is not but is being worked on.
Couldn't you guys change the banner and name from the Plymouth Muscle Car to Road Runner? Like, it's not possible to change the name on the icon on the shop, right? But you could still change the rest.
It's completely doable to change the logos on cars in GT2 and of course rename them via race data. I've changed the logos on cars myself before:

Though as to why Pez2k hasn't done that, it could be various reasons. Either it's the least of his priorities (in which makes sense when he and others have been focusing on more important aspects like fixing bugs and adding content) or maybe he's choosing to leave it that way.

Yeah, changing the logo is not a big job, but it ends up being inconsistent with the menus and just a bit of a mess. There's also a limit to how much I can cram into each release, I have to be pragmatic and just get it out at some point - the to-do list is still hundreds of items long.

Looking at that post...

Making that accurate would be renaming and changing the Superbird to the Roadrunner (and including the Roadrunner logo on the car model texture).

Anyway, I didn't know that the graphic editing aside from the car model textures was possible already...

Logos are easy, they're just normal TIM files that are a standard format across many PS1 games, so there have been editing tools for them since the 90s. The rest of the menus are what's difficult.

The menus are more than just graphic images, I take it.

Yeah, the menus are split into hundreds of tiny tiles (8 x 8 pixels I believe), and each pixel can either be a 16-colour bitmap texture or a single colour fill. There's a maximum of something like 16 palettes for the whole screen, so most tiles share palettes with others.

That means that to edit a menu background, you need to understand which tiles go where, which palettes are used where, and what will be affected with each palette change. PD's art team presumably had some strict disciplines and smart tooling to build them in the first place.

There are also two layers of tiles in different files, one for the background images and one for language-specific elements. On top of that, there's a system to place common icons such as Home, Race etc. from the top bar, to define which parts are clickable and what they do, and to place dynamic widgets like event license and power restrictions, prize money, best result, total money, current car, a render of a car (e.g. the dealerships or garage), and probably more.

In short, the GT mode menus are very, very complex to edit! Merging the Vauxhall dealer icon onto the North City background took a full week of work with a hex editor, and I wasn't even making anything new there.

upload_2020-8-3_14-52-55.png

Just obtained a white Angel T01, but when I open, it's still red?
upload_2020-8-3_14-53-52.png

the added vectra 2.0 sri has a color glitch
upload_2020-8-3_21-39-11-png.946210

and mayby the tommy kaira zzIII should be able to enter the zz race (I am playing it all again with won cars only)?

upload_2020-8-3_21-41-24-png.946211

btw. I love the new Ruf CR and cant wait for the e36 bmw.

Last edited:
... (tiles and layers-requires specific toolsets)

In short, the GT mode menus are very, very complex to edit! Merging the Vauxhall dealer icon onto the North City background took a full week of work with a hex editor, and I wasn't even making anything new there.

Sweeeeeet...Mercy... :boggled:

Addendum: That color glitch I believe is a vanilla bug; I seem to recall coming across it before and I even wonder if the car has a white finish at all...

Could you guys give new liveries and add more color options to race modificatiions that have only one color option? Could make for more interesting one-make races. Like the Lupo, I remember having only one color. Though I don't remember if it had a one-make race.

Also, could I get alternative GT1-style RMs for the 3000GTs? The Puma livery is cool but I prefer the '92 3000GT with GT1 RM.
And speaking of Mitsubishis, would it be possible to make an Eclipse GSX? I thought of making one as a hybrid, but it would be cool to actually have one in game.

Just obtained a white Angel T01, but when I open, it's still red?

Don't know - everything looks alright in terms of the source files for the mod, but I'll double-check ingame before any future release.

the added vectra 2.0 sri has a color glitch
and mayby the tommy kaira zzIII should be able to enter the zz race (I am playing it all again with won cars only)?

Can't reproduce the Vectra issue, if you're playing on an emulator it may be a bug with that instead. The RM is identical to the normal Vectra GSi.

The ZZ race is specifically for the original ZZ, and not for any of the later Tommykaira cars. This is intentional design by PD, and not a bug, just like the Clio V6 race not allowing the four-cylinder Clio 16V.

Could you guys give new liveries and add more color options to race modificatiions that have only one color option?

New colour options are possible, but outside the scope of this mod really - just restoring all of the cut stuff is going to take a very long time without adding more custom content. New liveries are in theory possible, but I'm no artist and they take a ton of skill to make due to the colour palette restrictions. There's also a limit on the number of car bodies that the game can support, and just restoring content will hit that limit without adding new bodies for new liveries.

@pez2k When will the Lister Storm V12 get its upgrades fitted?

Don't know, it's on the list to look at but I don't tackle things in any specific order. I can't even say when the next release will be, only that there will be one at some point.

Also, could I get alternative GT1-style RMs for the 3000GTs? The Puma livery is cool but I prefer the '92 3000GT with GT1 RM.
And speaking of Mitsubishis, would it be possible to make an Eclipse GSX? I thought of making one as a hybrid, but it would be cool to actually have one in game.

The GTO was remodelled between GT1 and GT2 so the old RM texture doesn't fit, and porting GT1 models isn't possible yet. As for the GSX, yes, it's possible, but as mentioned above custom content is outside of the scope of this mod, and there isn't room for it alongside all of the content to be restored.

I wanna showcase my replays.
I have a lot of them.
My hardware will absolutely not run ePSXe and a screen recorder simultaneously.

...Never mind. I love this mod and I wish I could show that off.

My hardware will absolutely not run ePSXe and a screen recorder simultaneously

Musta try out UniROM some time homey! For the parallel port of PS1 to check out this fine mod truthfully!

Don't know if the fine author is able to shrink even more space some time on this project of his (not terribly long ago, he jus rewrote+open-sourced), find a cartridge with @ least 256k size and can double it up with caetla! Which provides cheat GameShark functionality!

Back