[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
A few things could affect the ghosts:
1: an edit to their car's setups/parts
2: an edit to the rally tire compound/physics
3: are you using a 50/60fps code ?

A few things could affect the ghosts:
1: an edit to their car's setups/parts
2: an edit to the rally tire compound/physics
3: are you using a 50/60fps code ?
I'm using the 60 fps code. I wondered if maybe it was one of the cheats effing things up, I just wouldn't have been able to say. That probably explains it but I can't prove it empirically right now. When I did a playthrough of GT2+ I wasn't using the 60 fps code or any of the other cheats and the rally races worked fine.

And there you have it. Rally opponents and most of the demos are replays, and therefore inputs are written at the game's native speed (25/30fps). Using the 60fps code essentially plays those inputs at twice the normal speed, hence the broken opponents.

Last edited:
Yeah, if reporting bugs please turn off any cheat codes first - I can't guarantee that other people's work is perfect, and pushing the game past its normal limits isn't bug-free.

Another status update hot on the heels of the last - I've been working this week on getting all of the new changes and new tooling working together, and I suspect I've hit another limit on the number of cars that the game can support, this time regarding the maximum amount of physics / part data. I'm going to be doing a bit of trimming of unused data to see if it'll be a problem or not with what I plan to eventually include in a far-off final version, but the game is absolutely bursting at the seams from several angles now.

Considering that, even though there are still strides made in learning about the game's innards by the modders, you guys still don't fully know the game's code in and out. So, not to sound rude, but take your god-damn time. Please.
?????

Considering that, even though there are still strides made in learning about the game's innards by the modders, you guys still don't fully know the game's code in and out. So, not to sound rude, but take your god-damn time. Please.
Maybe it's a language barrier, but I can't tell if your post is rude or not the way it's been constructed.

You're implying they should know more than they do by now but then you're asking them to be patient and take thier time which considering they do this in thier spare time without being paid, they are pretty damn patient (I'd have given up a long time ago). So which is it?

My understanding of English is not the best, yet I understood this quite clearly.

Let me translate.

"DON'T RUSH IT KAYTHANKS."

RainbowBlade underlined my point perfectly.
The game isn't reverse-engineered yet. But the lads are getting closer with each revision. Us casuals are in no serious hurry to see the fruits of the labour. Please don't rush this project, as this can lead to either a half-assed mod (exaggerated, but you get my point) or general burnout.
I've already mentioned this once, but English isn't my first language, unsurprisingly.

The game isn't reverse-engineered yet. But the lads are getting closer with each revision. Us casuals are in no serious hurry to see the fruits of the labour. Please don't rush this project, as this can lead to either a half-assed mod (exaggerated, but you get my point) or general burnout.
My general rule of thumb is that I don't expect any major technical limitations to be surpassed, and plan around that. Things like the maximum sizes for the various file formats are unlikely to ever be changed, because it's not just a case of having a skilled reverse engineer looking into it and finding how to change it, but also being lucky enough that there's spare memory that can be used to load a larger file without breaking anything else, which is not necessarily very likely with only 4MB total to play with. Silent in particular has made some great breakthroughs with GT2 lately, but has often needed to dip into the extra RAM fitted to a PS1 development kit (or an emulation thereof) to do so. Polyphony didn't leave much on the table when it came to the PS1's capabilities.

I'm certainly not rushing anything myself - this work always has to fit around my actual job and personal life, hence why there's not always new things to show. At the same time though, I'm not going to wait for miracles to happen, so each version will continue to feature everything that can reasonably be done with the game so far, and if breakthroughs somehow are made then they'll be featured in the version after that.

It's also worth mentioning that very few people are actively researching GT2, and of them only Silent is doing any level of decompilation or debugging. I don't have the skill set, the experience, or the time to do so myself either. Reverse-engineering GT2 or even progressing towards it is a very, very distant dream.

Was just messing around with my old save of this and I noticed that in the NTSC version, the Dodge Concept Car is still missing the carbon driveshaft upgrade. The drivetrain goof was fixed but it's still missing the driveshaft upgrade that the Venturi 300 stole from it.

Was just messing around with my old save of this and I noticed that in the NTSC version, the Dodge Concept Car is still missing the carbon driveshaft upgrade. The drivetrain goof was fixed but it's still missing the driveshaft upgrade that the Venturi 300 stole from it.
Good spot, it's missing the part entirely - all versions of the mod use the PAL data as a base where it's already correctly FR, and it's still not present there.

Hope we will see cut cars like Diablos and game modes like Drag Race and (probably) Nascar (if he was ever planned to be included in game).
None of those exist in any way, and I won't be creating things entirely from scratch, not least because I'm not an artist and can't model new cars, and because nobody has the game source code to create entirely new game modes.

Hope we will see cut cars like Diablos and game modes like Drag Race...
Unlikely, reasons why stated above, but in truth, Drag Racing was only ever conceived, never given any sort of attention beyond that. As for the cut cars like any from McLaren or Lamborghini, don't count on that either. I think we're closer to having SSR11 and other cut circuits than we are cut cars and game modes (and that's not saying much).

The cut cars can be recreated as model modifications / creating new car models are possible thanks to the available tools. Of course, you need to be a very talented artist to match PD's style 100% or they would look off.

Good spot, it's missing the part entirely - all versions of the mod use the PAL data as a base where it's already correctly FR, and it's still not present there.

None of those exist in any way, and I won't be creating things entirely from scratch, not least because I'm not an artist and can't model new cars, and because nobody has the game source code to create entirely new game modes.
You mean the carbon driveshaft upgrade for the car still doesn't exist in the other versions of the game?

You mean the carbon driveshaft upgrade for the car still doesn't exist in the other versions of the game?
Yeah, when PD have fixed the drivetrain they've not added the part to go with it.

I think we're closer to having SSR11 and other cut circuits than we are cut cars and game modes (and that's not saying much).
As mentioned above, the tools do exist to make non-existent cars from scratch, and a few people have made test cars, however I don't have the skill set to do so, nor space left in the game to fit them.

Surely it will be included SSR11 that is left over from GT1 will be in GT2 at final release :)
Currently there is a 0% chance that SSR11 will be in the mod, now or in the future. Nobody is researching how the tracks work, never mind how to modify or even convert them. If a miracle happens I'll do everything I can to get it in, but it's not worth even wishing for unless you have a lot of reverse-engineering expertise and want to tackle it yourself.

Yeah, when PD have fixed the drivetrain they've not added the part to go with it.

As mentioned above, the tools do exist to make non-existent cars from scratch, and a few people have made test cars, however I don't have the skill set to do so, nor space left in the game to fit them.

Currently there is a 0% chance that SSR11 will be in the mod, now or in the future. Nobody is researching how the tracks work, never mind how to modify or even convert them. If a miracle happens I'll do everything I can to get it in, but it's not worth even wishing for unless you have a lot of reverse-engineering expertise and want to tackle it yourself.
I'm assuming then that the Venturi 300 stole the carbon driveshaft that should have belonged to the Concept Car.

In terms of game order, the Venturi and the Copperhead are far apart, so there's no actual stealing involved, but you could say so yeah

In terms of game order, the Venturi and the Copperhead are far apart, so there's no actual stealing involved, but you could say so yeah
I didn't think that was actually the case, it's just a joke. I assumed in both cases it was a goof.

Haha, that must be it. I don't know who stole the Venturi 400's turbos though.
Not sure either. In the original version of GT2, is it possible to enter the NA Tune event with a stock 400GT? Also, the 400GT is still missing the turbos in arcade mode on Plus, at least for the courtesy car. Not sure about of you loaded one from the sim mode garage.

Last edited:
In the original version of GT2, is it possible to enter the NA Tune event with a stock 400GT? Also, the 400GT is still missing the turbos in arcade mode on Plus, at least for the courtesy car. Not sure about of you loaded one from the sim mode garage.
The 400GT is classed as supercharged, like the DB7. I can't remember if NA Tune allows them (because they don't have a turbo) or blocks them (because their aspiration type is not 'NA').

The Arcade data is entirely separate to the GT mode data, so it's somewhat challenging to edit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the Arcade 400GT right now.

Back