Modchip advice

• Thread starter Heep
  • 13 comments
Hey all, I'm looking to get an internal no-swap modchip, but could use some advice. The chip must be no-swap (so I can play 80 minute CDR's...I can with a no-swap system, right?) and be compatible with DVD9 for GTC. I'm price conscious.

First of all, how can I tell which version of PS2 I have, and does it matter? If I go to "Version" in the main opening PS2 screen, everything is 1.xx, so I'm assuming I have a V1 PS2.

Through my own shopping around I've narrowed it down to these, though if there are more that will fit my situation, feel free to recommend.

Apple 2 Pro ModChip (Universal No-Swap)
No-swap
DVD9 Ready
Universal ModChip - one ModChip for all versions!
Plays all PSX games with direct boot (original imports, others...)!
Plays all PS2 games with direct boot (original imports, CDr/DVDr...)!
Package Contains:
PlayStation 2 Apple 2 Pro ModChip (Universal No-Swap)
wire
solder
$24.99 CAD

DMS3 ModChip (No-Swap)
No-swap
Compatible with all PS2 versions
Direct-boot ALL PlayStation 2 games including CDR / DVDR, imports, originals, silvers and DVD9
Direct-boot PSX games including CDR/ DVDR, imports, originals, silvers and most anti-mod games
Firmware upgradeable via CDR!
Package Contains:
PlayStation 2 DMS3 ModChip
wire
solder
$75.99 CAD (ouch)

Magic 3.1 Universal No-Swap
No-swap
Compatible with all consoles USA, Euro & Japanese - NTSC and PAL consoles worldwide!
Truly Universal ModChip.
Direct boot all PS2 Media (CD/CDR/DVD/DVDR, Silver/Import/Original and more! DVD9 game Ready!)
Works on all versions including the 010 bios and has sleep feature boot with reset for 4 seconds turns the modchip off restoring the machine to 100% original
Package Contains:
PlayStation 2 Magic 3.1 Universal No-Swap ModChip
Wire
Solder
$35.99 CAD

Magic 4.1 Clone Universal No-Swap
No-swap
Supports all PS2 version (v1 - v8)
This is a clone of the famous MAGIC 3.1 ModChip
Compatible with all consoles USA, Euro & Japanese - NTSC and PAL consoles worldwide!
Truly Universal ModChip.
Direct boot all PS2 Media (CD/CDR/DVD/DVDR, Silver/Import/Original and more! DVD9 game Ready!)
Works on all versions including the 010 bios and has sleep feature boot with reset for 4 seconds turns the modchip off restoring the machine to 100% original
Package Contains:
PlayStation 2 Magic 4.1 Clone Universal No-Swap ModChip
Wire
Solder
$25.99 CAD

I looked at the Messiah chips, but they don't seem to support DVD9?

I'm leaning towards the Apple 2 Pro...seems to have pretty well all the good features of the others, meets my criteria, and is the cheapest. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Hey,

If you are going to get a chip, do it right the first time! Any chip CAN boot DVD9, but with some, like the Magic 3.0, a GS will be needed to do it.

SIMPLE::: DO IT RIGHT, AND GET A MESSIAH 2, WILL BOOT ALL WHAT IS OUT THERE! TRUST ME!

Simon

Originally posted by Simon Tibbett
SIMPLE::: DO IT RIGHT, AND GET A MESSIAH 2, WILL BOOT ALL WHAT IS OUT THERE! TRUST ME!

Simon

Ok, I just checked out the Messiah2 in depth...seems like a very good chip, is DVD9 compatible, and I like how it can be switched on and off. However, it's also $65.99 CAD.

I'm not trying to question your judgement or anything, I just want to get the best chip I can for the best price. What makes the Messiah2 worth $40 more?

Hey,

The Messiah chip will allow you to boot literally everything, and 100% all the time! Magic chips will usually require you to restart alot of the time, and sometimes they will freeze. Also all Magic chips sometimes will be screwed up and not boot a DVD9 on your machine. The DMS3 however is also a very good chip, ask vrmx about his and see if he has a good boot rate. Also the Messiah is one of the first companies to make a chip, and like I said, it boots EVERYTHING! Movies, DVDR, CDR, DVD9, etc! Its the most trustworthy, I would love to have a Messiah, but I have a Magic 3.0 with a switch.......:) Can play GTC 2001, but not Geneva 2002.:mad:

Simon

Originally posted by Simon Tibbett
Hey,

The Messiah chip will allow you to boot literally everything, and 100% all the time! Magic chips will usually require you to restart alot of the time, and sometimes they will freeze. Also all Magic chips sometimes will be screwed up and not boot a DVD9 on your machine. The DMS3 however is also a very good chip, ask vrmx about his and see if he has a good boot rate. Also the Messiah is one of the first companies to make a chip, and like I said, it boots EVERYTHING! Movies, DVDR, CDR, DVD9, etc! Its the most trustworthy, I would love to have a Messiah, but I have a Magic 3.0 with a switch.......:) Can play GTC 2001, but not Geneva 2002.:mad:

Simon

Ok, so the extra cost is more a reliability issue than anything (plus a bit more compatibility). I can accept that...I think I just might place my order :)

Any idea if installation is more or less difficult than others?

Also, am I correct that my Playstation is a V1, if under "Version" on the PS2 main screen everything is 1.xx?

Hey,

Really once you get to Messiah, Magic, DMS, and all those, installation will be about the same, maybe an extra wire or two. I would be sure about your version by posting your serial number and all that info here, I will tell you for sure.

Simon

Model # = SCPH-30001
Serial # = U3950765
Browser = 1.20
CD Player = 1.20
Playstation Driver = 1.10
DVD Player = 1.30U

I have a messiah 2 and yeah, it boots everything. Although I think you can't fit DMS3 chips to the older verision PS2. Although the DMS has some extra features that the messiah 2 doesn't have. The only game that seems to have a slight delay on boot is my American copy of Xenosaga, everything else boots fine.

Xenosaga is a wierd game, I think no chip boots in flawless. Hey HEEP I will let you know what model you have tommorow. Sorry I am really busy right now!:irked:

Hey I have some questions about mod chips... Can you play a PAL game on an NTSC system? I was thinking of going for the ones where you just have the boot disk and flip top case.

I really want to play WRC2 and Colin Mcrae Rally 4 since there is a fat chance they will show up in the states any time soon. I figure I want to play around with Tokyo-Geneva as well while I wait for GT4 to come out.

I am kind of interested in mod chipping my ps2 also, but theres a problem. I dont speak japanese. Theres no way I could play any of those games...GTC is only in japan isnt it? How do I know what any of the cars are!?

Originally posted by Monouk
I am kind of interested in mod chipping my ps2 also, but theres a problem. I dont speak japanese. Theres no way I could play any of those games...GTC is only in japan isnt it? How do I know what any of the cars are!?

If you can't tell what car is which, just by looking at it, you shouldn't be playing Gran Turismo. :mad:

Back