General Model Kit Building Thread

On yours did the rear wheelarches did they have the pegs for the holes on the body?

It had that in the instruction manual but didn't in the box itself.

Tamiya has a list of local importers on their website. Normally, they will replace the part free of charge (at least, they used to in the UK), so try here: http://www.tamiya.com/english/agent/agent.htm
Meant to reply to this back then, totally forgot. :dunce:

Thank you very much for the info, will try it out. Even if they don't do it outside the UK, I can do it through a couple of friends I have living in London. 👍

Day 2 build progress

Finished the F430 but...

View attachment 306893

It'd a trainwreck.

Partly down to rookie errors but also partly down to Revell. The chassis is way too short for the car, as you can see snapping it in at the front and rear causes the middle to sag down. The wheels also confused the hell out of me, which tyres are for the F430 and which for the Enzo? Who knows. They're not clearly labelled.
Ah, good ol' Revell quality. :D

I'd definitely try to save it by gently shaving the areas (a bit at a time with numerous test fits in between) that are protruding until it fits snuggly. Test if first to see where you'd need start doing this without compromising the rest of the alignment (suspension exhaust, etc.).

Ah, good ol' Revell quality. :D

I'd definitely try to save it by gently shaving the areas (a bit at a time with numerous test fits in between) that are protruding until it fits snuggly. Test if first to see where you'd need start doing this without compromising the rest of the alignment (suspension exhaust, etc.).
Was considering that, and I think the front area will be the bit I shave off but not right now.

Not got the tools.

Might go get a Tamiya or two soon, but for now I've got a Revell enzo to do... Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Progress with my Nissan R34 GTR Z-Tune from Tamiya!

image.jpg

Your painting is fantastic I must say!

This became an obsession when assembling my trainwreck.

Thanks mate tomorrow i will have more pics! I am new in the thread but i buld and collect scaled models from long time just like i am in GTP form long time, (didn't noticed the scaled models thread). I can upload photos of my other projects tomorrow!
Cheers!

Thanks mate tomorrow i will have more pics! I am new in the thread but i buld and collect scaled models from long time just like i am in GTP form long time, (didn't noticed the scaled models thread). I can upload photos of my other projects tomorrow!
Cheers!
I look forward to it, and don't worry. I only found this after asking about spray paint in the hotwheels customization thread

Here is my last work for today on the R34- the brembo and Nismo stickers and i put a bit clear orange on the gold brake calipers so now they look better!

View attachment 307470
Once again, impressed you managed to get the wheel together at all

I'm a noob, I know. I was looking at a Red Bull F1 car before I realised that'd be months and years of swearing and glue.

Every single part from the bottom is done i can say! Tomorrow i will
stick in all the parts and the bottom will be ready!

Sorry about the bad quality but the light is bad...
:cheers:

image.jpg

@Toshost Nice work so far. 👍

Your painting is, from the photos, very good with clean lines and smooth, but for me, everything looks too clean. On my builds, I always (even if it's a non-used or show car) do washes almost everywhere. Especially on the engine/gearbox and suspension parts to make it more lively and detailed, not so kit-like. Imho, even the most perfect paint jobs need it to make it more realistic and add depth to the whole. It's personal preference, but I do believe it always holds true.

I'm going to start a project tonight, I will finish it tomorrow...

It involves the 1970s and Rallycross. ;)

@Toshost Nice work so far. 👍

Your painting is, from the photos, very good with clean lines and smooth, but for me, everything looks too clean. On my builds, I always (even if it's a non-used or show car) do washes almost everywhere. Especially on the engine/gearbox and suspension parts to make it more lively and detailed, not so kit-like. Imho, even the most perfect paint jobs need it to make it more realistic and add depth to the whole. It's personal preference, but I do believe it always holds true.
Thanks! And yes i know i was just starting doing those details! I was not done with the bottom when i posted the picture!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Anyone got the 1:20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4? Thinking of getting it.
I have destroyed built one before, and I have another one waiting for me to assemble. The quality is fine for me, but pedals aren't included in the kit. I believe some of them come with a driver and mechanic kit included, while others feature the Goodyear decals for the tyres. (Not sure about the latter.) Notice that you will need masking tape to recreate that orange-and-white livery, and the Marlboro decals are replaced with barcode-like decals instead. I don't recommend this for starters, because one'd regret destroying a kit that could originally become an iconic car model, plus it's a bit expensive. (For me, at least)

(Image found after searching on Google.)

Anyone got the 1:20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4? Thinking of getting it.
I have it (along with all other McLaren cars Senna drove) in standby for being built the right way.
Built an MP4-8 about 20 years ago, which I totally butchered with my lack of knowledge and skills back then, and so all of the F1 cars I had and got since then, I kept to only build AFTER I got decent skills so they would end up the way they should.

The MP4-4 especially I find so iconic and it's such a beautiful machine (both the design and mechanically) that really deserves a proper build with as much detail as you can get in it.
My take is, if you can buy it and is a car that means something to you, then get it. It's a fantastic piece. 👍

The MP4-4 especially I find so iconic and it's such a beautiful machine (both the design and mechanically) that really deserves a proper build with as much detail as you can get in it.
My take is, if you can buy it and is a car that means something to you, then get it. It's a fantastic piece. 👍
Definitely buying it for, like you, when I have the skills to Build it properly. It is a beautiful machine, even now, and I love watching and rewatching the footage from '88 So i kinda want to do it better than my F430 I did a while ago... like, a lot better.

Does anybody know if this cement works for ABS plastic? I'm asking this because last time I bought an extra thin cement made by Tamiya, it's only after the purchase that I found out it only works on polystyrene but not ABS plastic. (I have no idea how I managed to assemble a whole model with only that cement holding the parts together. :lol:)

Does anybody know if this cement works for ABS plastic? I'm asking this because last time I bought an extra thin cement made by Tamiya, it's only after the purchase that I found out it only works on polystyrene but not ABS plastic. (I have no idea how I managed to assemble a whole model with only that cement holding the parts together. :lol:)
I don't know about that specific one, but overall, regular plastic cements don't work on abs. You'd be better off buying a specific cement for those.

If you can't find glue for ABS plastic try Epoxy cement. It's a two-part cement which is made by a bunch of companies so it shouldn't be difficult to get a hold of. It's a bit messy sometimes, but the bond is very strong and you can use it with just about anything, so used with cyanoacrylate (super glue) you could even build an entire kit no problem.

Back