Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada Shooter - 3 Police Officer Dead - in Custody

GTP_Orido
http://online.wsj.com/articles/hunt...nswick-shooter-three-mounties-dead-1401967207

"A small city in eastern Canada remained under virtual lockdown Thursday as police searched for a shooter who killed three police officers.

Police said the suspect shot and killed three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers and injured two others responding to an incident around 7:30 p.m. local time Wednesday. The suspect disappeared and had been spotted at least once early Thursday but remained at large. They urged residents of Moncton, New Brunswick, to stay inside and lock their doors. Police identified the suspect as 24-year-old Moncton resident Justin Bourque, and described him as "armed and dangerous."

Police from across New Brunswick and outside the province were involved in the massive manhunt, which focused on a Moncton subdivision known as Pinehurst. Police blocked roads and urged social-media users not to report details about police movements to ensure the safety of those involved in the search.

BN-DC394_cansho_D_20140605075807.jpg

Royal Canadian Mounted Police blocked roads around Moncton, New Brunswick, in their search for an armed man who allegedly killed three officers. Associated Press

"This is a very, very dangerous situation," said Roger Brown, the commanding officer of RCMP operations in New Brunswick. "This is not close to being a typical day in Moncton, in New Brunswick, or even in Canada."

Numerous services and businesses were shut down as nervous residents in Moncton, a city of about 69,000 people, stayed inside. Moncton closed its city hall and shut down transit services Thursday. Area public schools were closed, as were the University of Moncton, libraries and provincial government offices in the city.

Despite pleas from police for people to stay home, Janice Keirstead said she headed into work early Thursday for her shift at Ayer Convenience, a little grocery store near the Moncton Coliseum, a sporting and entertainment complex close to where the shooting took place.

"I was a bit nervous coming into work, and I still am," she said from the store, where she works in the kitchen making sandwiches.

She said business was much slower than usual with only a handful of customers coming in to grab milk or eggs. Ms. Keirstead said dozens of police dotted the neighborhood but that other traffic was almost nonexistent.

A doctor who works at the Moncton Hospital said extra surgeons, surgical nurses and support staff were called in following the shootings under what it calls a "code orange"—when multiple casualties are expected to arrive at the emergency department. As part of that process, the hospital moved patients out of the emergency room to other parts of the hospital to deal with the fallout from the shooting, the doctor said.

Police had not released any details about the shooting victims or the circumstances of the shooting.

Jimmy Garrison, 27, said he has played on the same paintball team with Mr. Bourque, the suspect, for the past five years and last saw him at a team meeting several weeks ago. He described Mr. Bourque as a gun enthusiast who enjoyed watching mixed martial arts and working out.

"He often liked to talk about gun control," said Garrison. "If someone had the slightest opinion on how Canada should deal with it, he would go on mini-tirades to the point where it was just better to let him wind himself down."

Mr. Garrison said Mr. Bourque had brought guns to paintball practices.

"He loved his guns," Mr. Garrison said. "He thought no one should comment on what kind of guns he should own."

Kathleen Isaac, who lives near where the shooting incident occurred, said she got stuck in traffic on the way home Wednesday night, after picking up her eldest daughter, amid endless police cars and ambulances zooming by. "I thought there was a bad accident on the highway or something."

After getting home, she locked the doors, closed the windows and the shut the blinds and has been holed up there ever since. "It is total fear around here," she said. "We can't even get out of our house, and I am running out of milk here for the kids."

The attack was one of the deadliest involving Canadian police in years. In 2005, four RCMP officers were killed in Alberta by a lone gunman"

Another article :

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/04/world/americas/canada-shooting/

Police in New Brunswick scoured overnight for a man they say fatally shot three of their officers and wounded two others in the Canadian province.
"Shooter still believed to be in Pinehurst Subdivision area of Moncton. Stay locked inside. Leave outdoor lights on," the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick tweeted early Thursday morning.

Police sent other warnings Wednesday night to those in Moncton, a city of just over 100,000 people some 90 miles (150 kilometers) northeast of St. John and 150 miles north of Halifax.

140604221638-canada-shooting-suspect-story-body.jpg

Police posted to social media a photograph of a man dressed in fatigues, carrying what appeared to be a rifle.
"Stay safe. Motorist stay away from area," another tweet read.

The RCMP has identified the suspect as 24-year-old Justin Bourque, warning that the Moncton resident should be considered armed and dangerous. It posted a photograph of a man dressed in fatigues, carrying what appeared to be a rifle.

"The RCMP received a call at 7:20 p.m. Atlantic Time of a man wearing camouflage clothing, carrying firearms, and walking into the woods," Staff Sgt. Julie Gagnon said.

She said the three officers killed were from the RCMP's Codiac regional office in New Brunswick.

Helicopters were flying over the neighborhood, according to Isabelle LeBlanc, spokeswoman for the City of Moncton. She lives in the area that is currently on lockdown.

All entrances to the neighborhood are blocked off, she said. Her husband has not been able to reach their home.

She said some buses have been pulled off the road because of the concern for public safety.

At least two people who suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to The Moncton Hospital, health authority spokeswoman Carolyn McCormack said. The hospital later added that a third gunshot victim had been admitted.

It was not immediately clear if those were among the five police officers who have been shot, including three fatally.

"(The hospital) is restricting visitors to those with critically ill family members," an affiliated Facebook page noted. "All others are asked to refrain from visiting at this time."

3 police officers died on duty, and several injured, hopefully the hunt will end soon, no more death, I wished the shooter will surrender soon :(

Jimmy Garrison, 27, said he has played on the same paintball team with Mr. Bourque, the suspect, for the past five years and last saw him at a team meeting several weeks ago. He described Mr. Bourque as a gun enthusiast who enjoyed watching mixed martial arts and working out.

"He often liked to talk about gun control," said Garrison. "If someone had the slightest opinion on how Canada should deal with it, he would go on mini-tirades to the point where it was just better to let him wind himself down."

Mr. Garrison said Mr. Bourque had brought guns to paintball practices.

"He loved his guns," Mr. Garrison said. "He thought no one should comment on what kind of guns he should own."

More updates here :

http://globalnews.ca/news/1374998/rcmp-officers-shot-in-moncton-reports/

"
LATEST UPDATES:

• Heavily armed police officers have removed a robot and left an apartment complex in Moncton.
  • Suspected shooter spotted three times on Thursday morning.
  • Alleged gunman identified as Justin Bourque, who is believed to be hiding in Moncton’s north end.
  • Police have urged people to stay in their homes with the doors locked. See the marked map here.
  • RCMP will provide an update at 4:30 p.m. local time / 3:30 p.m. ET "
nb_shooting_manhunt.jpg

article-2649110-1E7AF55000000578-369_634x430.jpg

justin-bourque.jpg

and

http://globalnews.ca/news/1375802/who-is-justin-bourque-suspect-in-moncton-shooting/

"
Heavily armed RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B. continue to hunt for Justin Bourque, a gunman suspected of killing three officers and injuring two others.

Not much is known about Bourque, however police have released a few details about the suspect.

Late Wednesday, New Brunswick RCMP tweeted a photograph of the suspect wearing military-style camouflage and carrying two rifles.

Police spotted Bourque between 7:30 and 8 a.m. on Thursday, but were unable to apprehend him. There have been two other unconfirmed sightings on Thursday.

RCMP Commanding Officer Roger Brown and Supt. Marlene Snowman told media Thursday morning the suspect was still at large and asked residents in a large portion of the city to remain inside and lock their doors while police continue to search for the Moncton man.

In a press conference, police said Bourque is “very mobile” and “armed and dangerous.” They said the young man, in his 20s, was not known to police prior to Wednesday’s shooting.

Police could not provide any additional details about Bourque, but said they were contacting his family and workplace to gather information.

Officials asked the public to stay at home, stay off the streets and to call 911 if they see anything.

Social media
Police also asked the public to refrain from posting any information about the police operation on social media as Bourque remains at large.

A woman named Caitlin Isaac spoke to media on Thursday, claiming she is a former coworker of Bourque’s.

In an interview with Business Insider, Isaac said she worked with Bourque at a Walmart years ago. She said he was fired and that he always “seemed to have a problem with authority.”

A person named Caitlin Isaac is “friends” with an individual named Justin Bourque on Facebook. The Facebook page contains posts and memes about police, guns and shootings.

NOTE: It has not been confirmed that the Facebook page in question belongs to the suspect still at large in Moncton.

The most recent post on the Facebook page from Wednesday evening contains lyrics to a song, “Hook in Mouth,” by metal band Megadeth. Two Facebook “friends” of the poster commented below the lyrics, one saying “You knew this wasn’t the answer.”

justin-bourque-facebook-1.jpg

Justin Bourque Facebook post.

Another post added to the Facebook page on Wednesday features a photo with a quote from comedian Dave Chappelle, “You ever notice a cop will pull you over for a light out, but if your car is broke down they drive right past you?”

Global News has reached out to the creator of the Facebook page, but did not receive a response at the time of publishing.

On Thursday, a local gun and outdoor supply store, Worlds End Warehouse, issued a statement, making reference to the Moncton shooting suspect.

The statement, posted on the store’s Facebook page, read:

“To prevent pointless media speculation we can confirm that the suspect in this case whilst known personally by employees of our store, was never a customer and never purchased firearms or ammunition from us.”

His alleged FB account : https://www.facebook.com/justin.bourque.5682, the posts are mostly gun related.

1969288_1379498862323033_892090240_n.jpg

justin-bourque.jpg

The shooter has been arrested :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/justin-bourque-moncton-shooting-suspectin-police-custody-1.2666921

" Justin Bourque, the man wanted in the shooting deaths of three Mounties in Moncton, has been apprehended by RCMP in New Brunswick.

Justin Bourque arrested by RCMP at 12:10 in Moncton. He is in police custody. Residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes.

— RCMP New Brunswick (@RCMPNB) June 6, 2014
Paul Greene, a spokesman with the RCMP, said Bourque was arrested in Moncton at 12:10 a.m. AT Friday.

RCMP advised residents of north Moncton, who had been on lockdown while the manhunt for Bourque was underway, that they can now leave their homes.

Bourque, 24, is suspected of carrying out a shooting Wednesday evening in the northwest area of the city in which three RCMP officers were killed and two wounded.

justin-bourque-was-arrested-at-12-30-a-m-new-brunswick-time.jpg

Justin Bourque was arrested at 12:10 a.m. AT Friday. (Wade Perry)

Police, including tactical officers, began their manhunt for the shooter Wednesday at around 7:30 p.m. AT after responding to a call about a man walking along a road with what was believed to be a gun.

After the call, shots were fired and officers called for backup.

The RCMP said police officers from across the country were brought in to help arrest the suspect. "

Last edited:
Saw this last night. Also how is this a bad image for owners and enthusiast because of one guys? Just like every other shooting dead no matter the cause is blamed on guns and thus possibly can't be matched with practical and responsible ownership?

Either way I feel bad for the families of these officers who are just doing their job.

Saw this last night. Also how is this a bad image for owners and enthusiast because of one guys? Just like every other shooting dead no matter the cause is blamed on guns and thus possibly can't be matched with practical and responsible ownership?

Either way I feel bad for the families of these officers who are just doing their job.

The suspect is still young at 24 years old, and a gun enthusiast, he should have given good example, instead of killing police officers. The motive is still unknown, so I won't make guesses, some might say just another troubled young man like the Isla Vista Shooting. This is in Canada though, unlike in US, there are much less gun owners there :)

This time of year is hunting season around that area if not mistaken, let's hope one of the bear hunters will spot the kid and call in the police :)

@Ridox: Canada is actually up there in the guns per capita, but has a hell of lot less gun related crimes compared to America.

@Ridox: Canada is actually up there in the guns per capita, but has a hell of lot less gun related crimes compared to America.

Didn't know that :(, but it's good that the gun related crimes are lower. The OP has been updated with more infos and pictures as well as his FB account which is still active even when the manhunt still in progress :eek:

His pictures of posing with firearms and his FB account posts are shown on the news online, which I think will give bad impression to most people.

The suspect is still young at 24 years old, and a gun enthusiast, he should have given good example, instead of killing police officers. The motive is still unknown, so I won't make guesses, some might say just another troubled young man like the Isla Vista Shooting. This is in Canada though, unlike in US, there are much less gun owners there :)

This time of year is hunting season around that area if not mistaken, let's hope one of the bear hunters will spot the kid and call in the police :)

I'm 24 this year and a gun enthusiast and owner, and I've never wanted to go out and kill anyone. That's my point. You can't paint it as "well the gun crowd is going to get a bad image" as if they had some control.

There gun laws are very strict though and they don't have nearly as many guns as the U.S. and actually there are many smaller nations that have more guns than they though. I'm sure the others knowledgeable in guns will be even more descriptive.

Not sure what you're arguing against here. I don't see in the post where OP suggested anything like that. All he did was quote and link several news articles and hope that the shooter surrenders.

I'm 24 this year and a gun enthusiast and owner, and I've never wanted to go out and kill anyone. That's my point. You can't paint it as "well the gun crowd is going to get a bad image" as if they had some control.
Not sure why you're making a point to counter one that OP never made. Kinda seems like you're arguing with yourself here and frankly I'm confused. Unless OP edited out a section of his post, I have no idea what he said that you're taking issue with. Arguing for argument's sake?

Not sure what you're arguing against here. I don't see in the post where OP suggested anything like that. All he did was quote and link several news articles and hope that the shooter surrenders.

Not sure why you're making a point to counter one that OP never made. Kinda seems like you're arguing with yourself here and frankly I'm confused. Unless OP edited out a section of his post, I have no idea what he said that you're taking issue with. Arguing for argument's sake?

That's because you didn't read it when he first posted it like I did today. He edited his post which it obviously shows, took that portion out and added updates along with it. I wouldn't question a person without cause, and you've seen enough of my post at this point to probably realize that like I've seen enough of yours.

There is a reason he's responding to me and if I misquoted him (which from previous context he now deleted) I didn't, and he would have said so. Either way I should have quoted that portion but I decided not to since he knew what I was questioning. If you have issue, I'd suggest you ask the OP what I'm talking about.

The motive is still unknown, so I won't make guesses, some might say just another troubled young man like the Isla Vista Shooting.
Reading the "poem" the suspect posted on Facebook, he appears to be very angry with the idea of authority, seeing any form of government or authority as inherently corrupt.

I want to thank the guy, arguing for gun rights, then going around screwing us by adding to the problem.

My thoughts are with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers, their families & friends. I'm not sure of what the circumstance was, but it likely won't even matter. What a 🤬 up.

I want to thank the guy, arguing for gun rights, then going around screwing us by adding to the problem.

My thoughts are with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers, their families & friends. I'm not sure of what the circumstance was, but it likely won't even matter. What a 🤬 up.

What guy? The shooter from what it sounds like?

That's because you didn't read it when he first posted it like I did today. He edited his post which it obviously shows, took that portion out and added updates along with it. I wouldn't question a person without cause, and you've seen enough of my post at this point to probably realize that like I've seen enough of yours.

There is a reason he's responding to me and if I misquoted him (which from previous context he now deleted) I didn't, and he would have said so. Either way I should have quoted that portion but I decided not to since he knew what I was questioning. If you have issue, I'd suggest you ask the OP what I'm talking about.

LMCorvetteGT2 is correct, I did edit the OP, sorry for the confusion.

Reading the "poem" the suspect posted on Facebook, he appears to be very angry with the idea of authority, seeing any form of government or authority as inherently corrupt.

Will be interesting to know why ... I hope he's caught instead of killed or shot himself.

There gun laws are very strict though and they don't have nearly as many guns as the U.S. and actually there are many smaller nations that have more guns than they though. I'm sure the others knowledgeable in guns will be even more descriptive.
Until very recently there were millions upon millions of unregistered rifles and shotguns in Canada. When they tried to introduce the boondoggle known as the "long gun registry" a few years ago it met with a great deal of opposition and the thinking is that many people did not register their rifles and shotguns in protest. The registry was eventually scrapped and the true numbers of gun ownership in Canada will probably never be totally accurate. I personally know at least 4 people that have rifles or shotguns that they never registered when the registry was active. I've seen estimates of more than 20 million in a country of 35 million which would put us well up the list on guns/capita.

There's a much bigger gun culture in Canada than people think. It doesn't get talked about a ton because gun violence isn't really a widespread issue here but we have plenty of rednecks, hunters, and gun nuts.

Outside of the major cities (Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal in particular) it's fairly common that people have experience around guns.

There's a much bigger gun culture in Canada than people think. It doesn't get talked about a ton because gun violence isn't really a widespread issue here but we have plenty of rednecks, hunters, and gun nuts.

Outside of the major cities (Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal in particular) it's fairly common that people have experience around guns.

No said it was small but from recorded data 32.something per 100 people compared to 87 per 100 people in the U.S.? That a vast margin and when you put that ratio to the total population you see why it's not as big as the U.S. but still quite sized. The point is that Norway, Sweden and other nations in the area have more and people tend to not know that. However, I know you guys have a good gun culture because you have a lot of hunting especially big game forest animals.
Until very recently there were millions upon millions of unregistered rifles and shotguns in Canada. When they tried to introduce the boondoggle known as the "long gun registry" a few years ago it met with a great deal of opposition and the thinking is that many people did not register their rifles and shotguns in protest. The registry was eventually scrapped and the true numbers of gun ownership in Canada will probably never be totally accurate. I personally know at least 4 people that have rifles or shotguns that they never registered when the registry was active. I've seen estimates of more than 20 million in a country of 35 million which would put us well up the list on guns/capita.

No one is talking about registration. That's not what the statistics are based on. The U.S. doesn't have a registry monitored by the gov't that knows who owns what gun at what time in what area. All the stats of guns per capita show is how many guns are in an area based on sales. Canada is in the top 15 or 20 for guns per capita. But the problem is as I've said there are smaller countries than Canada with a lesser population but just as many guns per 100 people or more. Their gun violence issues and let's be fair any violent acts are lesser than both the U.S. and Canada if I remember correctly (this last part I may have to look up again).

No one is talking about registration. That's not what the statistics are based on. The U.S. doesn't have a registry monitored by the gov't that knows who owns what gun at what time in what area. All the stats of guns per capita show is how many guns are in an area based on sales. Canada is in the top 15 or 20 for guns per capita. But the problem is as I've said there are smaller countries than Canada with a lesser population but just as many guns per 100 people or more. Their gun violence issues and let's be fair any violent acts are lesser than both the U.S. and Canada if I remember correctly (this last part I may have to look up again).
You can't count guns/capita if you don't know they exist, which was my point. There are literally millions of firearms here that won't show up in any stats because they've been handed down for a couple of generations and we didn't keep records of that stuff until recently. Millions uncounted in the U.S. means very little with a population of 330+million. In Canada with 1/10th of that, it's a lot.

My point is guns/capita here is probably closer to 50% than 30%, most of them being long guns.

Anyone find anything on the news about why Justin did it ? The RCMP probably taking their sweet time to make him spill the beans ... and maybe some bad cop routine in return for the 3 fallen officers, or it's just in the movies.

You can't count guns/capita if you don't know they exist, which was my point. There are literally millions of firearms here that won't show up in any stats because they've been handed down for a couple of generations and we didn't keep records of that stuff until recently. Millions uncounted in the U.S. means very little with a population of 330+million. In Canada with 1/10th of that, it's a lot.

My point is guns/capita here is probably closer to 50% than 30%, most of them being long guns.

They do it all the time, what you're suggesting is guns that are either there before the count began which is every country or the black market supply of guns. Which black market items don't get counted for any gross or net distribution of anything in the world, it's usually put in an other category.

Also most places didn't keep records of guns passed down by generation. And I'm not talking about millions uncounted in the U.S. and if there are millions uncounted it only solidifies that Canada still isn't on the same level. IF anything it now becomes even worse because you have 87 known guns per every 100 people in the U.S and then millions unaccounted for.

Also most places didn't keep records of guns passed down by generation. And I'm not talking about millions uncounted in the U.S. and if there are millions uncounted it only solidifies that Canada still isn't on the same level. IF anything it now becomes even worse because you have 87 known guns per every 100 people in the U.S and then millions unaccounted for.

That's a definite problem.

There's also a piece of "research" doing the rounds (it's really a fairly ****** literature review) that claims to show that gun ownership doesn't alter gun crime levels. Sadly their figures are so baulked that only Republicans can make any real sense of them (joke, but the figures really don't hold up to 30mins of fact-checks).

There are a lot of fake numbers, meaningless numbers and plain-misinterpreted numbers doing the rounds that don't help anybody.

That's a definite problem.

There's also a piece of "research" doing the rounds (it's really a fairly ****** literature review) that claims to show that gun ownership doesn't alter gun crime levels. Sadly their figures are so baulked that only Republicans can make any real sense of them (joke, but the figures really don't hold up to 30mins of fact-checks).

There are a lot of fake numbers, meaningless numbers and plain-misinterpreted numbers doing the rounds that don't help anybody.

The numbers I have are the actual numbers from the FBI and CDC databases and then subsequent databases that are on the same level for other nations. I agree there are numbers both sides use to skew their arguments but in this case I'm using the known numbers that you can find on U.S. databases collections.

The numbers I have are the actual numbers from the FBI and CDC databases and then subsequent databases that are on the same level for other nations. I agree there are numbers both sides use to skew their arguments but in this case I'm using the known numbers that you can find on U.S. databases collections.

Certainly, I'm not disagreeing with your point about the skew between "known" and "unknown" firearms, I was commenting on the wider problem that international data isn't collected the same way and can be interpreted differently and easily mis-interpreted. The Kates/Mauser study is often quoted; I only recently read this and was shocked by the starkness of the conclusion... especially when one starts retrieving the source data for oneself and realises that many of the preconceptions are flawed or have simply been misunderstood for this review.

Back