Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

@Sick Cylinder I remember hearing somewhere that people without the DLC packs could still select DLC cars for online races to avoid fragmenting the online player base. Not sure if this is the case but probably worth checking – it'd be disappointing if we couldn't use some of the cars coming in the next DLCs in our series.

@IfAndOr I bought the season pass for £25 and don't regret it, even though the only DLC cars I've actually got round to driving so far are the E-type and the Panoz (this game has so much to try and I don't get enough time)! From the leaks I've seen so far the best DLC packs are still to come so I'd go for it at £17 if I were you.

Regarding GTS, everything @IBZ6L20VT said – although I do miss the whole 'car collecting' element from the GT series

You could certainly select the extra content to be used online in PC1 and everyone would have access to it. They couldn't of course practice using it beforehand though.

Anyway I don't care since you've all talked me into it. Season pass is purchased.
Which one of you do I send the invoice too? :)

It seems the 0.5 you mentioned is called the Motorsport bonus pack Sick.

@Sick Cylinder I remember hearing somewhere that people without the DLC packs could still select DLC cars for online races to avoid fragmenting the online player base. Not sure if this is the case but probably worth checking – it'd be disappointing if we couldn't use some of the cars coming in the next DLCs in our series.

I understand that the approach to DLC from SMS will remain the same as for PC1 - this means that as a Host I can use the DLC as follows:

1. One make series - you can use a DLC car during an online race meeting, but cannot practise with it beforehand. (Host needs to set car option to identical).
2. Multi-make series - you can only use a DLC car if you have bought it, but the host can offer a choice of cars which includes non-DLC content - this is the approach which I will normally follow e.g. Race series for 1966 Trans Am Mustang, with option to use AMG Mercedes 6.8.

3. DLC Tracks - you can race on a DLC track during an online race meeting , but cannot practise on it beforehand unless you have bought the DLC. I will try to avoid using DLC tracks unless the track is very similar to an existing track e.g. Classic Le Mans will be very similar to the version already in the game.

I will use DLC tracks (if they are good ones) if people have bought the DLC or are happy that they have had enough practise sessions before the meeting for example in a practise room with John Wells or SimbaLora.

I did get the Japanese car pack @Sick Cylinder although those cars are probably not high on your list of desirables. :P

I'd phase the new content in Sick (if it's good), since those who have bought it will want to use it. Are you planning on a rally cross event at all?

The Honda 2+4 is very enjoyable and might be fun for a short series or perhaps some Christmas races and has a wide range of liveries (although it has unrealistic levels of grip), but some of the Japanese cars have only one or two liveries / race numbers so I won't be able to use them in a one make series. I will use them in a multi-make series if I can, but in testing so far they did not seem well matched against existing game content.

The DLC content will be phased into the 2018 schedule - for example I am hoping that Classic Le Mans will have landed before we start our "1967 Career" so that we can swap tracks. DLC cars will be added into the schedule where possible, but will need to be thoroughly tested first. I am hoping for some good cars and particularly for cars which expand current classes

Season pass is purchased. Which one of you do I send the invoice too? :)

Congratulations - wise decision! Please invoice someone wealthy - preferably a relative who can be persuaded that it was a late Christmas or early birthday present!

@AndreasR and @John Wells can I request that we make the practice room private or password-protected please? The constant lag as randoms join/leave makes it difficult to build up any type of rhythm, plus when they have their mics the ridiculous volume of them wakes up my baby who I've just desperately tried to get to sleep in time for the race!

Anyone you forget to invite can just join the session from the PS4 menu anyway as long as they have you as a friend.

plus when they have their mics the ridiculous volume of them wakes up my baby

As a quick workaround you can mute individual players. You need to go back to pits and then you can scroll and selectively mute players.

What I usually do though, if I’m not using headphones, is to create a party in the PS menu, just myself. That way you’ll mute any mics in game.

Well, this was good fun, probably the most entertaining car I’ve driven in game so far.

This is my fastest lap, although there are around 3/4 tenths lost in Stirling’s bend.

Tips:

If you struggle, smoothness with the inputs is the key. Especially gas and steering.

If you are starting to get comfortable, use the weight of the car during braking to help you aim for the apex. Once you get used to how the car behaves, you can get really early on the gas if the car is planted.

Extra tips:

For qualifying, your best shot will be your second lap. Then, rear tire pressures go up and the car loses the tire flex that helps you a lot keeping it under control.

My previous video was recorded with rear tires around 23 PSI while the next one was with tires at 26 PSI. The difference is around one second slower with 26 PSI at the rears.

It’s a whole different car, as you can see in the next video:

Last edited:
My first couple of attempts had tyre noise like that, but rear just kept coming round. Then try a bit more hard braking, in straight line before turning into apex, then power out.

But can't drift it round the corners, like that, so smoothness is the key, IB? Have tried the race version, not too sure how much power, its got over the standard.

My first couple of attempts had tyre noise like that, but rear just kept coming round. Then try a bit more hard braking, in straight line before turning into apex, then power out.

But can't drift it round the corners, like that, so smoothness is the key, IB? Have tried the race version, not too sure how much power, its got over the standard.

Yes, be smooth. Times will eventually come. Don’t overdo it.

Braking in a straight line at first is key. Car has drums all around so it takes a while to stop it!

One thing is for sure, consistency will get you a decent final position in the race. There will be lots of spins.

Didn’t try the race version though.

Its been quite good just trying to chase the Al, try full grid, place at the back.
Driven the race version, sound is pretty much the same, but not sure on BHP.

Its been quite good just trying to chase the Al, try full grid, place at the back.
Driven the race version, sound is pretty much the same, but not sure on BHP.

The road version was advertised with 271bhp (in game I think it has 270bhp). The DLC race version in the game has 400bhp, which sounds about right for a Ford 289 engine in Trans Am tune in the 1960's.

Last edited:
Notice to All Racers

The version of the Ford Mustang which we are using is the road version with 270bhp. It does not have race numbers. Please use the striped paint schemes as these look more racy. It will be fine to have 2 or 3 cars of the same colour as they will look like teams. I will be using white with red stripes.

The striped colour schemes are:

White + red stripes
Light blue + white stripes
Gold + black stripes
Burgundy + stripes
Orange + stripes
Black + red stripes
Dark Bronze + multi-coloured stripes

Light blue + white stripes

Did online practice yesterday: default setup, tires/fuel - off, but in 30 min. practice I had 60 l fuel, in 15 min. qually - 7, 10 lap race - 20. I did something wrong in lobby settings, it was bug, or is it normal to have different amount of fuel? Car feels completely different in every session and need some time to get used to changes.

Last edited:
Burgundy + stripes please. Very tricky but fun car to drive, I'm sure there will be plenty of drama tonight – anyone for some synchronised spinning with me at PHB?!

@Napalm_LT I'm sure there's a fuel load bug. In fixed-setup practice sessions you're sent out with a small (but seemingly random) amount, but if you return to pits it gives you the maximum load every time you go out again from then on. Not only makes the car heavier but also changes the balance of the car therefore the handling behaviour, very frustrating. Hope they fix it soon – can't believe it's not complained about on the forums more!

It's looking unlikely that I'll make it this evening @Sick Cylinder, I've caught the lurgy. A couple of days ago I was fine and now I'm coughing and spluttering constantly. I don't think this is a combination that would work too well with the Mustang. I'll see how it goes but certainly don't hang around for me. Hopefully it might have eased a little by Wednesday.

I'll use orange if that's OK.

Results from Brands Hatch

Brands Hatch Career 65.jpg

Sorry, but I didn´t get any notice from this thread thoug it is set as "watched thread"

So I did open a practice room open for public with three hours of practice for a five minutes race and thought that people wouldn´t enter such a room. Proven I was wrong !!
Next room will be private. I´ll invite everybody who took part at the last race. If someone doesn´t want to be invited, please send me a message.
Cheers

I´ll stay with that color yellow/black stripes

and

hope you´ll get well soon, @IfAndOr

Good race everyone, sorry couldn't save the replay. You really have to concentrate with this car, I all of us had a slid, into the grass. I wasn't going for fastest times, just trying too get round the track.

What settings were Al on Sick?

Usually we shouting loud if others do bad things, but keep silence when they do good things. I wan to say many thanks to @John Wells and @Sick Cylinder. I have never met so kindly people while racing. If they are lap down and your catch them before corner, you are 100 % sure they let you through as soon as it possible. They are true racing gentleman's and others (include myself) should learn respect to each others. So I am really happy race with you guys.

Also have a question - do we have any rules according slow down warning? Does warned driver can keep race line, run in a middle of track while slowing and others are close behind? Historical cars are really tricky (track is very narrow also) and it is almost impossible to pas in these situations unless slow down penalty done in the straight. In reality that mean what slow down penalty close behind drivers must do also.

Entertaining race last night, even if not particularly good on my part!

Report from the seat of my 'Stang:
After an initial few quali laps the tyre pressures went up beyond their ideal workable range as @IBZ6L20VT predicted, so I pit-boxed to reset them. Was sent out with fuel load at max, as I mentioned previously, and the extra weight transformed the handling – the car was now much more stable. Combined with the low pressure of the fresh (cold) tyres, that meant I was able to qualify far above my station. There's definitely something strange going on here – since when were more weight and colder tyres conducive to faster lap times?!

I was happy with my start and first few laps, then it all went a bit pear-shaped. I went slightly wide on one of the corners in the back section which lost me time – still got a slow-down penalty :grumpy:. In trying to fulfil it, I slowed down on the straight before the final corner. When we reached the corner @Napalm_LT had caught up and was clearly put off by my slow-moving car because he spun behind me. Although I didn't exactly close the door, I admit I could (and perhaps should) have completely submitted and taken a drastically wide line through the corner to allow him through at further expense to myself, but when you've already been unfairly penalised it's difficult to stomach giving up track position in the heat of battle!

The joke of it was, after all that the race director decided I hadn't slowed down enough and gave me a time penalty anyway! :banghead: After that my early momentum was gone, tyre pressures were up and I spent the next 25 minutes trying (and mainly failing) to even keep the car on-track – fair play to you guys who managed to with any sort of pace!

I don't know if there were other similar instances in this or other recent races, but I reckon the penalty system is doing more harm than good. As Napalm says, the cars we race with are challenging enough to handle as it is, and when we do make mistakes it's not really fair to be penalised again and potentially cause a danger to others. Our group seems like a relatively mature and trustworthy bunch who aren't the type to actively cut corners to save time, so I suggest we turn penalties off – at least until SMS sorts out them out? Anyone else with me? After all, faster old cars catching a slower old car on a narrow track was what led to the 1955 Le Mans disaster!

I also don't understand penalty system. During race someone (don't remember who) got 15 s penalty, but after race in the table were only 4 s penalty. I don't complaint what penalty was to small, but I would like to know what penalty be added. egz. I see someone behind me is faster, but he got xx seconds penalty, so I don't need to push, hard defend my position to save my place, I just need keep gap according to penalty size. If penalty at the finish is less than it was shown during race, place can be lost.

As for me, race was difficult but interesting. Mesed start and was pushed of track in the first corner, but came back to second place after Rich and @joedakiss went of track. About 3-4 minutes till the end gap to @AndreasR was about 7 seconds and 4 seconds penalty for @AndreasR was showing. there were some slower guys ahead so I saw small possibility to fight for victory and tried to push as hard as I could. spined in the next third corner :). Lost motivation and concentration after that and spined two more times :)

Last edited:
the extra weight transformed the handling – the car was now much more stable. Combined with the low pressure of the fresh (cold) tyres, that meant I was able to qualify far above my station. There's definitely something strange going on here – since when were more weight and colder tyres conducive to faster lap times?!

Just theorising here...

Standard weight distribution is circa 60/40. A full tank will move some of the weight to the rear. Also, it’ll put more weight into the rear axle, helping traction. Theoretically more weight should mean slower cornering speed. However, if you were struggling with acceleration it might actually help you with your lap times.

Lower PSI values allow more tire flex, with the car having a less snappy behaviour, although at the expense of a less precise control. It was clear that the standard setup has too high tire pressure for the given conditions at Brands Hatch.

I'd agree with @joedakiss that since you seem to have attracted such a good bunch of clean but competitive racers @Sick Cylinder perhaps you could ease up on the penalties. I think you can trust everyone not to abuse it, in fact we would probably self-police, but if you do have problems you can always reintroduce it. It does seem to be a bit over enthusiastic in handing out slow down warnings.

I'd agree with @joedakiss that since you seem to have attracted such a good bunch of clean but competitive racers @Sick Cylinder perhaps you could ease up on the penalties. I think you can trust everyone not to abuse it, in fact we would probably self-police, but if you do have problems you can always reintroduce it. It does seem to be a bit over enthusiastic in handing out slow down warnings.

What if we left the penalties on, but people kept driving. I got one penalty and didn't change my speed till the next corner - I probably slowed a fraction more than normal and lost the penalty.

Normally the penalty is only 1 second - what happens if you just ignore it?

But if you have the penalties on and you just ignore them you might as well not have them on at all. ;)

I'm not sure exactly how they work. It's obviously not a random system if even at times it appears to be. If anything they seem to be accumulative in that if you ignore it the next one is more severe.

I might be a bit thick here but in real life racing do drivers get slow down penalties for off track infringements? I know in some occasions continued abuse of track limits results in the pit drive through board being shown. It would be better if that system was used since it would cause less confusion.

Last edited:
Back