Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

No worries Harsk, see you Wen:D

Napalm sure we were, using the tyres of period, maybe Sick can say. Think got sorted by the end, not use too much power in the water. I had bad crash with Beach when trying to overtake, hit water, went him instead. Quite enjoying this multi class races:D

I'm as confused with those as well, may be someone else can say.

These old cars usually have the same tires whether it is dry or wet. Also when there is rainy wheather at the start it will be the right tires automatically (when there exist wet-tires of course).

Hmm, strange. I was on all gas on all straights during offline practice with light rain and havent had any problems, but in the race there were standing water in that low place near bridge and I needed lift a lot. Maybe in the race we had rain instead of light rain?

I did quite a bit of testing with the weather settings and with PC2's Live Track I don't think the standing water is consistent from race to race. Sometimes it builds up in different places to others. There's a random element that is also affected by the amount of rain and the length of time it rains for. Which is realistic I suppose but it can catch you out!

I did quite a bit of testing with the weather settings and with PC2's Live Track I don't think the standing water is consistent from race to race. Sometimes it builds up in different places to others. There's a random element that is also affected by the amount of rain and the length of time it rains for. Which is realistic I suppose but it can catch you out!

especially in Italy

MPLYU8RI3DUAAAUWE_.jpeg
Project CARS 2_20180717102858.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717103122.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717103318.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717103546.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717103657.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717103934.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717104126.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717104244.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717104358.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717104634.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717104840.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717105155.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717105437.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717105713.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717105817.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717110330.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717110442.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717111225.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717111727.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717111922.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717112127.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717112430.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717113149.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717113240.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717113544.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717113806.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717114107.jpg
Project CARS 2_20180717114213.jpg

I've never actually known why they are called prototypes. They don't usually develop into anything other than further prototypes. Sick will know I expect?

I've never actually known why they are called prototypes. They don't usually develop into anything other than further prototypes. Sick will know I expect?

I'm sure others can give a fuller answer, but I'll try. They are one offs (or very small run), which in America were known and raced as specials. Sometimes a successful prototype becomes a Sportscar - so for example the Ford GT40 MK1 started as a prototype and raced in that category then when the definitive design had been developed, the decision was made to produce enough (over 50) so that it could be classified and raced as a Sportscar - by which time the 7 litre MK2 had entered the scene and taken over the mantle of prototype.

Sometimes a car that you would think is a prototype turns out after further investigation to be a production sportscar - for example the D Type Jaguar, of which quite large numbers were made (about 70 I think).

The Cobra Daytona Coupe you might think would be a prototype because only six were made, but that exploited a loophole and was not a prototype as it used the chassis and engine from the Cobra and sufficient numbers of those were made for it to be classed as a sportscar.

In our Wednesday series we are racing cars which were not prototypes - although SMS categorises them as Vintage Prototype A. The rules were changed for 1968 reducing the maximum capacity of prototypes to 3 litres, but a sportscar of which at least 25 had been made (reduced from 50) could have a 5 litre engine. Porsche and Ferrari exploited this and at great expense produced the 917 and 512 offsetting the costs through sales to private teams. The Lola T70 which had been a successful prototype now became a sportscar as more than 25 had been made and the Ford GT40 MK1 suddenly gained a new lease of life as a result of the capacity changes.

Sometimes cars are really prototypes, but not classified as such - the Ferrari 250 GTO for example - Enzo got away with not making enough (39 instead of 50 I think), but having been caught out the organisers didn't let him pull the same trick with the 250LM. They made sure in future that the required number had actually been made.

This probably doesn't answer the question, but hopefully it does in some ways.

Important Information

Change to weather settings - after further testing I have changed the weather settings for the next round to give greater visual appeal and lower the risk of collisions. New settings:

Setting Date = 01/05/70
Time = 12:00
Time Progression = 15 X
Weather Slots = 4 (Hazy / Overcast / Hazy / Fog)
Weather = 60 X

Qualifying = Hazy

It certainly does help. Very interesting, thanks.

The current crop of cutting edge LMP 1, 2 and 3s are a bit of a mystery. Being purely race designs I don't think they'll see the road at any time!* The Americans original name of special seems to fit better than prototype. And since they also race elsewhere, why always Le Mans?
SCS 1(Sports Car Special) makes more sense. Do you think writing to my MP to protest for a name change will help? :)

*I suppose the technology used does occasionally filter its way down into road cars.

The current crop of cutting edge LMP 1, 2 and 3s are a bit of a mystery. Being purely race designs I don't think they'll see the road at any time!* The Americans original name of special seems to fit better than prototype. And since they also race elsewhere, why always Le Mans?

Le Mans is now effectively a "Brand" and LMP has become associated with a certain style of car and racing. You now have "The American Le Mans Series" and "The European Le Mans Series".

In the 1950's and 1960's the cars were road registered - Duncan Hamilton used to drive his D Type to France, Portugal and Italy to compete in the races. Even in 1963 Eric Broadley drove the Lola MK6 prototype all the way to Le Mans. The cars had to have luggage space and carry tools and a spare wheel - if they broke down away from the pits the driver had to complete temporary repairs - no outside assistance was allowed. I am currently reading David Hobbs excellent book "Hobbo" - he describes the extreme danger involved in breaking down at Sebring, chocking the car up, laying under it and following orders shouted at him by a mechanic through the fence - all while his feet were sticking out and cars were roaring past close by!

In the 1920's the driver had to prove the efficiency of the hood mechanism by completing part of the Le Mans race with the hood up - he had to raise and lower the hood in the pits on his own!

I have an elderly neighbour (fit as a fiddle) who used to work in the motor trade - he told me an interesting story yesterday - the guys who made the exhaust systems at Bentley were Blacksmiths - the Smithie and his Assistant would get the length of iron pipe red hot then rush out into the yard where there was a tree with a Y shaped fork - they would put one end in the Y then bend the pipe to shape. They would then offer the pipe up to the chassis - any adjustment would involve heating the pipe in the furnace again and running out to the old tree for a tweak!

Good luck everyone for the race tonight - hopefully we get a decent turnout as it is a lovely car and track combination and I think we now have a really atmospheric weather setting. You should join us @IfAndOr if you can!

the extreme danger involved in breaking down at Sebring, chocking the car up, laying under it and following orders shouted at him by a mechanic through the fence - all while his feet were sticking out and cars were roaring past close by!
How times have changed. :boggled:
In that case at least, probably for the better!

they would put one end in the Y then bend the pipe to shape
I think they've advanced beyond that now. Or perhaps the trees are very odd shaped!
BentleyContinentalGT-2018.jpg

I'm still non-plus'd at the moment. Although my internet is now slightly faster and more stable, so watch this space...

My PS+ subscription expired on weekend too. CDkeys have a discount at the moment and I have bought 15 months subscription for 45,59 €.
Yeah I've actually got the 15 month offer from CDkeys too. A good saving. It's just that I have been having a few problems with my internet (modem and connection) recently so I'm holding off activating the subscription until things are all sorted out.

I'm sure others can give a fuller answer, but I'll try. They are one offs (or very small run), which in America were known and raced as specials. Sometimes a successful prototype becomes a Sportscar - so for example the Ford GT40 MK1 started as a prototype and raced in that category then when the definitive design had been developed, the decision was made to produce enough (over 50) so that it could be classified and raced as a Sportscar - by which time the 7 litre MK2 had entered the scene and taken over the mantle of prototype.

Sometimes a car that you would think is a prototype turns out after further investigation to be a production sportscar - for example the D Type Jaguar, of which quite large numbers were made (about 70 I think).

The Cobra Daytona Coupe you might think would be a prototype because only six were made, but that exploited a loophole and was not a prototype as it used the chassis and engine from the Cobra and sufficient numbers of those were made for it to be classed as a sportscar.

In our Wednesday series we are racing cars which were not prototypes - although SMS categorises them as Vintage Prototype A. The rules were changed for 1968 reducing the maximum capacity of prototypes to 3 litres, but a sportscar of which at least 25 had been made (reduced from 50) could have a 5 litre engine. Porsche and Ferrari exploited this and at great expense produced the 917 and 512 offsetting the costs through sales to private teams. The Lola T70 which had been a successful prototype now became a sportscar as more than 25 had been made and the Ford GT40 MK1 suddenly gained a new lease of life as a result of the capacity changes.

Sometimes cars are really prototypes, but not classified as such - the Ferrari 250 GTO for example - Enzo got away with not making enough (39 instead of 50 I think), but having been caught out the organisers didn't let him pull the same trick with the 250LM. They made sure in future that the required number had actually been made.

Don't think any mortal person would give such a thouroughly answer.
All hail to the Sick! :bowdown:
When we speak of Him we should write it in capitals. :D

Race Settings - Slight Changes

After further testing I have made some improvements to the race settings for Monday's Race. The changes are as follows:

Time Progression = 15X
Weather = Light Cloud / Medium Cloud / Light Cloud / Clear

The above will also apply to Wednesday.

Good luck to all and see you on track tomorrow!

Good race I enjoyed that, first time driven in the dark:rolleyes: What gears are you using, Sick, Joe though Indianapolis and White House section? Knocked a bit time off my fastest lap anyway, still time to improve.

Back