Morrowind

• Thread starter ethanol
  • 5 comments
Anyone actually played Morrowind? I've been eyeing it up, looking for a decent RPG...

I've heard both good and bad things so just wanted to get a couple of opinions.

Anyone got one? (an opinion I mean)

I played it a little on the PC (My friend bought it) and it's a really involved action oriented RPG. It has tons of depth, and nice graphics. The world it provides is also absolutely huge, and will take about 100+ to complete unless you sprint through the entire game. I think that Pako is playing it, perhaps he has a few comments in the Morrowind PC thread (basically the same game, with the same graphics)

Morrowind PC thread

Argh - I knew I should have done a search for this. I thought I had seen a thread about Morrowind, but I had forgotten it was released as a PC game first.

Blah.... Sorry 'bout that. :D

Well, I don't have to worry 'bout that tough decision - I had ordered my new machine, then cancelled the order after deciding I've got enough stuff to play right now.

So, the Xbox is the only thing I've got that I could get half-assed decent performance out of.

But, if you've got a fast machine and one of the new GeForce4 cards, you are likely better off with the PC version. If not, then Xbox it is.

Alright - here's an update and my 10 seconds worth of thoughts on the game.

Actually, I don't have any thoughts, so I'll just echo everyone else that has reviewed the game.

1) The world is huge! This can be a good thing and a bad thing. You'll often find yourself just touring around aimlessly for 10 mins without seeing another creature.

2) The combat is just horrible. Ugh - some of the worst animated combat I've ever seen. You don't know when/if you hit the bad guy.

Blah.

3) The character's themselves don't look that hot.

But, #2 and #3 aside, it's a good game. I enjoy it. I played it for 'bout 6 hours Friday night ('till 4:30 AM) then got up and played for another 6. Now I've gotta go buy it.

Here's a little tip for anyone that is considering buying/renting it... You can make the combat infinately less frustrating by going into OPTIONS where you will find something like "attack using the best method" (or something like that).

In a nutshell, when you are fighting something, there's a couple of different attacks you can do - you can either stab at it, swing down like a sword, and a couple of other things. Obviously trying to stab with a war hammer wouldn't be effective (doing little damage) so you want to select the "always do the best method" thing.

Back