Most Disappointing Movies

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 38 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
What have been the most disappointing movies you’ve seen so far?

Once upon a time in Mexico was mentioned in another thread and I agree.
Obviously Star Wars Episode I was huge disappointment.
I was personally disappointed by Star Trek – Generations
Terminator 3 was something of a disappointment for me

This one hurts me to say. The Matrix Revolutions was a disappointment to me also, though I enjoyed it and still enjoy the trilogy as a whole. I had much higher hopes for revolutions.

Jurassic Park II was a let down.

Nightmare on Elm Street counts as a disappointment for me also because when I first saw it, I was expecting to be scared.

Tomb Raider – big disappointment there.

I had low expectations for Last Samurai and that was even worse.

…and finally, this last weekend I watched the new Harry Potter movie. I’d heard that it was quite good and that Gary Oldman does a good job in it (which he does). But it had exactly the same plot as the original (which I didn’t much care for) but with (for the most part) even weaker supporting characters. All in all, a big 👎

danoff
Tomb Raider – big disappointment there.

You were expecting a good movie?? :odd: :lol:

I had low expectations for Last Samurai and that was even worse.

I had moderately high expectations for The Last Samurai because it was written by John Logan, who also wrote Gladiator, which I thought was a fine film. Unfortunately, Samuari ended up being a lousy film.

And speaking of Logan, he also wrote: Star Trek: Nemesis, which is one of my choices for this list.

Both follow ups to Aliens.

Both follow ups to The Matrix, although I only had modest expectations there.

All the follow ups the Highlander. The first one is one of my all time favorites and to see what they did in the sequels was just having to watch a cute little puppy being tortured.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was also a big disappointment. I was so excited over the technically superb CGI in the trailors, the farce of a film that I ended seeing in the theater was truly a let down. The film succeeds so well visually, it is almost criminal that the screenplay was written by what must have been a 7 year old.

M

You were expecting a good movie??

Well, you don't go see a movie expecting it to be bad. I was expecting a fairly average movie. Just a decent action flick with a semi-coherent plot and some nice shots of Angelina.

I didn't expect it to make my worst 5 movies of all time list. :)

Ocean's Twelve was a big let-down; the first one (though a remake) was pretty good, and I was hoping for more of the same cool robbery stuff in the second, but it just fell flat, and now I hate Brad Pitt. Well, even more than I did before.

Paycheck; I love Philip K. Dick's stories, and have generally liked his films as well. Heck, I even liked Minority Report because if the plot (plus I happen to think Tom Cruise isn't as bad an actor as most other people). But this piece of trash, starring the Trash Master himself, Mr. Ben Affleck, was just awful. I should have known, it being directed by John Woo. I was praying for there to be no doves in the movie, but there were.

Open Water; the trailers touted it as "The Blair Witch Project meets Jaws." What it was was long, boring, and with one of the stupidest, most disappointing endings ever.

Exorcist: The Beginning; considering the original screenplay was tossed out, I was expecting cack. And cack is exactly what I got.

Johnny Mnemonic; originally a short story by one of my favourite science-fiction authors (he's also Canadian), William Gibson, I was excited to hear that it was being made into a movie. Gibson's cyberpunk world is so rich and cool, I thought the movie had to be a success. But then I saw Keanu Reeves in it. Then I saw Ice-T. Then I saw Dolph Lundgren. Then I walked out of the theatre.

Also, can someone PLEASE correct the title of this thread? Danoff, you should be ashamed of yourself; that's the worst mangling of the word disappointed I've seen since Bryce301 was banned!! :lol:

Mulholland Drive - based on its reviews, I was expecting some superb film. Can we actually be coherent?

Anderton Prime
Johnny Mnemonic; originally a short story by one of my favourite science-fiction authors (he's also Canadian), William Gibson, I was excited to hear that it was being made into a movie. Gibson's cyberpunk world is so rich and cool, I thought the movie had to be a success. But then I saw Keanu Reeves in it. Then I saw Ice-T. Then I saw Dolph Lundgren. Then I walked out of the theatre.

Oh yeeaah. I remember that. HUGE let down. Even bigger because Gibson himself wrote the screenplay and cribbed stuff from his own work (Virtual Light)!

BTW, Ice-T is actually a pretty good actor. Ever seen him on Law and Order: SVU?

danoff
some nice shots of Angelina

There were several. :dopey: Not some much in the second one, though. :indiff:

M

So what are we learning here? Sequels and movies about video games tend to be crap. Or at least they don't live up to their name. Lets hope that isn't the case with GT4.

///M-Spec
Oh yeeaah. I remember that. HUGE let down. Even bigger because Gibson himself wrote the screenplay and cribbed stuff from his own work (Virtual Light)!
Yeah, but writing a screenplay is a totally different style of writing. Plus, I don;t think the script was the main problem with the movie.

///M-Spec
BTW, Ice-T is actually a pretty good actor. Ever seen him on Law and Order: SVU?
Yeah, but for every Law and Order role, there's a Surviving the Game or a Tank Girl role to counter it. I guess he's gotten better with age...

Napoleon Dynamite. I thought that would be awsome, but it was very flat. All of the funny scenes were already shown in the commercials. They had lost all impact.

Others: Episode 1, Matrix 2 and 3.

I had never expected to even see the Last Samurai, but I loved it.

I had low expectations for Terminator III, but it was much better thatn I thought! I was impressed. :)

Event Horizon
Napoleon Dynamite. I thought that would be awsome, but it was very flat. All of the funny scenes were already shown in the commercials. They had lost all impact.

Others: Episode 1, Matrix 2 and 3.

I had never expected to even see the Last Samurai, but I loved it.

I had low expectations for Terminator III, but it was much better thatn I thought! I was impressed. :)

I agree on Last Samurai, but I have to admit I was in the same situation as yourself. It was kind of a "best of the least" option. And we saw it at a cool theator in Austin, TX. They had removed every other row of seats and put in tables. They served an amazing range of food and beverages (yes, alcoholic as well) during the movie. Perhaps the overall experience made the movie seem better.

Anderton Prime
I don't, usually, disagree with other peoples opinions - But THAT is a focking retarded review. J.M. is probably THE Gibson story converted to film EVER !....

Even Reeves is brilliant in J.M. .... And so is Lundgren, Ice (mofo'ing) T, Rollins and Dina as her usual charming self....

Each to his own and all I Guess, but if THAT is your opinion on J.M. - you just lowered yourself in mine......

Of all the people I know who've seen that movie, I like it the MOST! Of course I didn't walk out of the theatre, that was just a bit of exaggeration to spruce up the story. But I did think it was a bit of an abomination on the Gibson story, and Ice T SUCKS, as does Dolph Lundgren as anything other than Ivan Drago.

Well, my most disappointing movies have already been covered. But, I'll post my thoughts on them anyways.

Matrix Revolutions. Reloaded set this movie up almost perfectly in my opinion, but then the movie was plauged with crappy dialogue, lame action scenes, and to top it all off, a lame love story (a death sentence for nearly any movie with one).

The Last Samurai. Great movie, right up until the end. Here is my take on the ending from the plot hole thread.

As for more plot hole goodness, how about the ending of The Last Samurai? Great movie, right up until the end. What a lame ending. One of the main points of the movie was making the viewer understand the mind of a Samurai, which does not fear death. Yet, even though the Samurai are supposed to all die in a massive battle in the end, Tom Cruise somehow manages to survive, and carry on with life. This, despite the fact he and his allies fought off thousands of well armed infantry, survived a charge on an artillery position, and he even survives getting shot numerous times by a gattling gun. I could go on about how it seemed that the Samurai magically had at least 1,000 more troops than they had claimed to have, but I'll just quickly summarize by saying the ending ruined the movie, left a very bad taste in my mouth, and completely contradicted one of the main points of the movie. 👎

Requiem for a Dream - I was expecting a lot and it was simply terrible.

Magnolia - As above, but at least the frogs at the end added some humour :indiff:

Terminator 3 - Not serious enough for me, needed Cameron's touch.

Matrix Revolutions - Very dissapointing, possibly the greatest anti climax in Hollywood history.

Face Off - Heard alot about this, liked very little.

Hulk - After seeing other movies based of Marvel Comics I thought this would be good too, but it was alot of talking.:grumpy:

Matrix 3 - Got to the point where I just got bored with the movie, and the ending was just terrible.

Godfather 3 - Although it's not one of the most disappointing movies, it was still a little on the boring side. Andy Garcia wasn't the greatest, but that's mostly to do with the role he was given. I don't think his character fit well.

• Mortal Kombat 2 - easily the worst video game sequel ever. The first one was so well done and pretty true to the game storyline. What were they thinking about with the second?
  • The Fifth Element - Excellent cast, semidecent plot, a lot of fun to watch...but ultimately quite stupid.
  • Any odd numbered Star Trek movie except 3
  • Independence Day: Regular version. The extended version explained so much more and made the movie closer to believable.
  • Xmen 1- I know it's a comic book movie....but :yuck:
  • All fast and fuirous movies - So much hype, so little well, anything!
  • XXX - Vin disiel just isn't that good in my opinion.
  • Kill Bill Vol 2 - Not a bad movie. Just kinda slow and no were near as fun as the first live action anime!

OK, I'm done....for now....:sly:

Anderton Prime
Yeah, but writing a screenplay is a totally different style of writing. Plus, I don;t think the script was the main problem with the movie.

Yeah, but for every Law and Order role, there's a Surviving the Game or a Tank Girl role to counter it. I guess he's gotten better with age...

I don't remember exactly what the problem was with that flick. I just remember being very disappointed that it captured none of the essense that made Gibson's Sprawl trilogy so great. That and Keanu Reeves is about as interesting to watch as paint drying.

Eww. Tank Girl. A girlfriend dragged me to see that. 👎

M

demon of speed
Daredevil - Very lame movie.

I agree, it didn't seem like a super-hero style movie at all. Just a movie with a blind guy that uses a cane.

Anger Management
I figured a movie with Nicholson and Sandler would be much funnier. It was just Jack tooting his horn "Look, I'm such a bad-ass...Laugh or you're not cool!" It wasn't as funny as I projected it to be. I chuckled about 3 times, which is pathetic when The Wedding Singer was more humorous.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Sound and fury signifying nothing. And not a good nothing, either.

Jackie Brown
When directors get to make the kind of movie they'd like to make, they make movies that only they'd like to watch. Very boring and lacking any interesting dialouge, considering Pulp Fiction was so much more lovable.

Trespass
It was an Aesop's Fable with rap music and a Jaguar, except it took 90 minutes more time to tell the same story.

American Beauty
I think people liked it because the main character admitted he masturbated in the shower and thought 15-year-old girls were beautiful. And the drug references...Wow, that's freakin' hip! Nobody's ever made a movie about pot! I'm losing respect for Keyser Soze, and must end this now.

Jackie Brown? That was Tarantino's 2nd best movie ever, next to Pulp Fiction. Kill Bill 1 and Reservoir Dogs were okay too, but Jackie Brown was pure joy to watch. Samuel Jackson's best Tarantino character ever is in this movie. Anything he or Robert De Niro says is pure gold.

Maybe you need to watch it again?

I agree with pupik. Jackie brown was just so slow and nothing ever seemed to happen. I had to struggle to get through whole thing. Prime, if you liked it cool. But I was very disappointed knowing Quinton's reputation.

pupik
Anger Management
I figured a movie with Nicholson and Sandler would be much funnier. It was just Jack tooting his horn "Look, I'm such a bad-ass...Laugh or you're not cool!" It wasn't as funny as I projected it to be. I chuckled about 3 times, which is pathetic when The Wedding Singer was more humorous.
Agreed, not a funny movie at all, Adam Sandler really needs to make another movie like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison, his last few movies have been mediocre at best.

Bruce Almighty was also very disapointing, the commercials made it look hilarious, but in reality the commercials had pretty much all the funny parts covered. Very misleading advertising. 👎

Swift
I agree with pupik. Jackie brown was just so slow and nothing ever seemed to happen. I had to struggle to get through whole thing. Prime, if you liked it cool. But I was very disappointed knowing Quinton's reputation.
Let me start by saying I admire Tarantino. As a director, he's proven he's anything but a one-hit-wonder, a la M. Night Syamalan, who peaked with his first and second movies (Sixth Sense and Unbreakable) and went rapidly downhill from there. Tarantino on the other hand explores every facet of the genres he's interested in. Reservoir Dogs was a low-budget crime caper, Pulp Fiction was just that, an exploration of the pulp fiction novels of mid-century, and Jackie Brown was Tarantino's love story. Of course, there's the swearing, gun-obsessed, Kangol-hat-wearing black guy with a braided beard, the angry ex-con who'll just as soon shoot you in a parking lot as screw you in the kitchen, the miserable, mid-life-crisis-suffering bail bondsman, and the ultra-sexy middle-aged black mamma. It's unconventional, yes, but that's what Tarantino's all about.

For you to say he's got a "reputation" is to not understand his movies at all. Kill Bill was an exploration of two seperate genres ("Eastern" and "Western," if you will) and he found he had to split it into two seperate volumes to succeed in his study. While I liked Vol.1, I HATED Vol.2, but I still respect what he was trying to do, and I would never say "It's not what I'd expect from Tarantino," because you're not supposed to expect anything from him. He's a genius, albeit a pompous one. Still, he's nothing in the pomposity department compared to everyone's favourite pr*ck, Mr, George Lucas, who has his head so far up his ass he can't tell the difference between the **** in there and the **** he keeps releasing on his brainwashed fans out here. Sorry, that just slipped out.

Latest Posts

Back