Most realistic street/sports car Sim Rig

United States
United States
UPDATE: Have acquired all components below and everything is working really well with Drivehub

I'm looking to put together the most realistic "sports car"-feeling rig for Gran Turismo 7 on PS5.

Here's my wish list of characteristics of a rig in order of most important to least important:

1. Realistic-feeling H-pattern shifter
2. Degressive clutch pedal
(that typical "hump" feel when depressing a real clutch pedal)
3. A more-realistic steering wheel size, shape, and material
4. Inverted pedals

So I'm planning to limit this to Fanatec, not only because it can cover all 4 wishes above, but also because (I believe) it works natively with PS5 and Gran Turismo 7. I know there are some more realistic options out there from other brands, and I have a DriveHub, but... yeah, pretty much decided to stick with Fanatec for ease of compatibility.

Here is the plan:

WHEEL BASE: Gran Turismo DD Pro (8nm); Podium Wheel Base DD1
  • PS5/GT7 native compatibility; using Drivehub

WHEEL HUB: ClubSport Universal Hub V2 for Xbox
  • fits the steering wheel rim I want (below)
  • can be used for Xbox if I decide to in the future

WHEEL RIM: ClubSport Wheel Rim R330
  • seems to be among the largest diameter Fanatec wheels
  • similar shape, material, and feel as a typical sports car

PEDALS: ClubSport Pedals V3 Inverted
  • has a degressive clutch pedal
  • is inverted like most street cars
  • will get the optional brake performance kit

SHIFTER: ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
  • self explanatory
Cockpit: RCP Cockpit PRO
  • DD1 sidemount option

Last edited:
I have more or less the same setup with the exception of the non-inverted club sport pedals and I’m using a Porsche GT3 wheel. Not knowing how much FFB you’re looking for, just keep in mind that a larger diameter and heavier rim will nerf the FFB somewhat. I think this is one of the reasons Fanatec spec’d a slightly smaller diameter rim, then what used to come with the CSL elite base.

As far as rigs, there’s plenty. I went with an 80/20 rig GT Omega, mainly because I was planning to upgrade my base from a CSL DD to a DD1. If you’re not planning on upgrading to a stronger DD base in the future, any rig with good ergonomic adjustability will suit you well.

A tidbit with VR. It’s amazing how much the headset tricks your mind. If you’re driving a car that has a smaller-diameter wheel irl (such as the MP4/4), it tricks you into believing that you’re holding a small wheel. If you drive a car where the wheel is naturally low-slung and in your lap (like the group 2, 2008 NSX), it tricks you into feeling like your own wheel is in your lap. Older cars with big steering wheels?…. Yep, makes you feel like you have a big wheel in your hands.

VR with a good setup really brings this game to life. There’s nothing like driving cars authentically in this game.

Here’s a small “test” video I made in regards to experimenting with different capture angles for reviews in our COTW thread. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...k-week-5-audi-rs-5-turbo-dtm-19.418000/unread

I have more or less the same setup with the exception of the non-inverted club sport pedals and I’m using a Porsche GT3 wheel. Not knowing how much FFB you’re looking for, just keep in mind that a larger diameter and heavier rim will nerf the FFB somewhat. I think this is one of the reasons Fanatec spec’d a slightly smaller diameter rim, then what used to come with the CSL elite base.

As far as rigs, there’s plenty. I went with an 80/20 rig GT Omega, mainly because I was planning to upgrade my base from a CSL DD to a DD1. If you’re not planning on upgrading to a stronger DD base in the future, any rig with good ergonomic adjustability will suit you well.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, my biggest concern has been about the CSL DD being too weak for larger/heavier/real steering wheels. I've pretty much come full circle and back to planning on going with the DD1 and a DriveHub. Too bad I missed out on the officially-licensed DD1 for PlayStation... are you using that one or the PC one with DriveHub?

I’m running the DDpro, Porsche GT3 wheel, Inverted V3 pedals (love these), Sq shifter. I think its capable enough for GT7, even w the larger rim. I was running a CSW V2 w drivehub. It saved that base and I was so glad to have it, but I think the PS5 native mode on the DDpro gives it an edge - read the drive hub thread before u decide - its still only CSL elite emulation - and the firmware updates have lately seemed a bit problematic? Not sure the extra NM of the DD1 is much benefit given the added cost and age of the tech. Someday a CSW DD? but for now happy w the DD Pro particularly w road cars in GT7

PSVR2 is a big bump in immersion - happy w it and a huge leap over PSVr 1 so spend the money on that vs DD1

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, my biggest concern has been about the CSL DD being too weak for larger/heavier/real steering wheels. I've pretty much come full circle and back to planning on going with the DD1 and a DriveHub. Too bad I missed out on the officially-licensed DD1 for PlayStation... are you using that one or the PC one with DriveHub?

I bought mine second hand off a GTP member. I know for a fact that Fanatec still sells the PlayStation DD1 bundle. But its availability is spotty.

Price-wise, I think the best value for immersion is a DD Pro, load cell pedals and a shifter coupled with PSVR. The added cowbell a DD1 provides is only worth it, if you’re only looking for peak-realism, and you’re willing to pay the money to get beat up by your wheel-base. Getting one of these high-torque wheels and only running it at 11-12 nm seems to be a waste of money to me. Especially when there is a Logitech base that fills that current space right now. I’m assuming that Fanatec is working on a CSW base, but it’s only hearsay until they officially announce it.

The CSL DD wheelbase is extremely informative. But it’s definitely not beat-you up strong. If anything, my pace has suffered a bit with a dd1, BECAUSE I insist on running heavy settings to emulate… “realism” 🙄.

But if I had to make the choice between a DD pro with VR, or a DD1 without VR…

It wouldn’t even be a question. DDPRO-VR every day of the week

Last edited:
I’m running the DDpro, Porsche GT3 wheel, Inverted V3 pedals (love these), Sq shifter. I think its capable enough for GT7, even w the larger rim. I was running a CSW V2 w drivehub. It saved that base and I was so glad to have it, but I think the PS5 native mode on the DDpro gives it an edge - read the drive hub thread before u decide - its still only CSL elite emulation - and the firmware updates have lately seemed a bit problematic? Not sure the extra NM of the DD1 is much benefit given the added cost and age of the tech. Someday a CSW DD? but for now happy w the DD Pro particularly w road cars in GT7

PSVR2 is a big bump in immersion - happy w it and a huge leap over PSVr 1 so spend the money on that vs DD1
Awesome! Nice to see other inverted users!

It sounds like DriveHub normally treats the DD1 as the DD Pro, but the latest DH beta firmware causes it to be seen as the CSL. I'm sure it could be fixed, but yeah, the updates seem hit or miss. I wouldn't be surprised if the officially-supported DD1, the CSL, and the DD Pro receive different force feedback signals from GT7, but I haven't seen any evidence of this. Regardless, I think I'll keep any eye out for a PS DD1 bundle for sale.

I bought mine second hand off a GTP member. I know for a fact that Fanatec still sells the PlayStation DD1 bundle. But its availability is spotty.

Price-wise, I think the best value for immersion is a DD Pro, load cell pedals and a shifter coupled with PSVR. The added cowbell a DD1 provides is only worth it, if you’re only looking for peak-realism, and you’re willing to pay the money to get beat up by your wheel-base. Getting one of these high-torque wheels and only running it at 11-12 nm seems to be a waste of money to me. Especially when there is a Logitech base that fills that current space right now. I’m assuming that Fanatec is working on a CSW base, but it’s only hearsay until they officially announce it.

The CSL DD wheelbase is extremely informative. But it’s definitely not beat-you up strong. If anything, my pace has suffered a bit with a dd1, BECAUSE I insist on running heavy settings to emulate… “realism” 🙄.

But if I had to make the choice between a DD pro with VR, or a DD1 without VR…

It wouldn’t even be a question. DDPRO-VR every day of the week
The PS DD1 bundle is officially discontinued: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1

I'm mostly interested in realism and I really just like to go through the motions of driving. I'm not trying to be competitive with this setup. It's all about the feel of driving, for me, so I don't mind spending the money for a DD1.

Awesome! Nice to see other inverted users!

It sounds like DriveHub normally treats the DD1 as the DD Pro, but the latest DH beta firmware causes it to be seen as the CSL. I'm sure it could be fixed, but yeah, the updates seem hit or miss. I wouldn't be surprised if the officially-supported DD1, the CSL, and the DD Pro receive different force feedback signals from GT7, but I haven't seen any evidence of this. Regardless, I think I'll keep any eye out for a PS DD1 bundle for sale.

The PS DD1 bundle is officially discontinued: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1

I'm mostly interested in realism and I really just like to go through the motions of driving. I'm not trying to be competitive with this setup. It's all about the feel of driving, for me, so I don't mind spending the money for a DD1.

Wow. Didn’t know they discontinued it. Must have been fairly recent. I can surmise this might have been because of a few reasons.

They weren’t selling enough of them to justify the cost of Playstation licensing anymore.

They are in fact building a CSW DD base that will fill that market segment for console players

And perhaps as soon as they sell their remaining DD1 PC stock, they’re going to discontinue the DD1 altogether. The DD1 and DD2 do use the same motor after all.

It’s probably a combination of all 3. I’m pretty sure I’m in the extreme minority of console players who run a DD1 at full-cowbell. Most DD1 users, PC and console players alike, run their values in the 10-13nm range. In that case, it makes little sense to have an 8nm base, a possible 11-13nm base, a 20nm base, and 25nm base. From that perspective, it makes the most sense just to cut the DD1. Especially being that it’s essentially the same as a DD2

Wow. Didn’t know they discontinued it. Must have been fairly recent. I can surmise this might have been because of a few reasons.

They weren’t selling enough of them to justify the cost of Playstation licensing anymore.

They are in fact building a CSW DD base that will fill that market segment for console players

And perhaps as soon as they sell their remaining DD1 PC stock, they’re going to discontinue the DD1 altogether. The DD1 and DD2 do use the same motor after all.

It’s probably a combination of all 3. I’m pretty sure I’m in the extreme minority of console players who run a DD1 at full-cowbell. Most DD1 users, PC and console players alike, run their values in the 10-13nm range. In that case, it makes little sense to have an 8nm base, a possible 11-13nm base, a 20nm base, and 25nm base. From that perspective, it makes the most sense just to cut the DD1. Especially being that it’s essentially the same as a DD2
I can't imagine why they chose to bundle it with an F1 wheel. GT Sport had what, one or two F1-style cars? I guess people were using these with the actual F1 games. You're right, though, there's a big gap at the moment in torque levels and not much need for the DD1 being so close to the DD2. I have a feeling that a bunch of new Fanatec products are right around the corner since their products are aging. I feel like I'm about to miss out on a podium/v2 shifter, or v4 pedals, or something. Oh well... can't keep waiting for the latest and greatest.

Anyway, I found the full PS4 DD1 bundle used but in-box for sale. Looks mint, so I'm goin for it.

I can't imagine why they chose to bundle it with an F1 wheel. GT Sport had what, one or two F1-style cars? I guess people were using these with the actual F1 games. You're right, though, there's a big gap at the moment in torque levels and not much need for the DD1 being so close to the DD2. I have a feeling that a bunch of new Fanatec products are right around the corner since their products are aging. I feel like I'm about to miss out on a podium/v2 shifter, or v4 pedals, or something. Oh well... can't keep waiting for the latest and greatest.

Anyway, I found the full PS4 DD1 bundle used but in-box for sale. Looks mint, so I'm goin for it.
Yeah - debated that bundle - already had the Formula V2 wheel + APM. Good find on that used set!

I figured 1+ year out for CSW DD plus at least 6 mos or more for supply and quality issues to shake out, so running the DD Pro for 2-3 years seemed the better route - its right at the limit of what I’d want but really for road/sports cars its good enough for now.

I using almost the same setup, with DD1 PS4 instead of GT DD Pro.
Mount it all on Trak racer TR120, additional with Buttkicker and Seat Mover M2 under the seat , sim dashboard on an android pad , PSVR2 and 32” 4K HDR monitor. All work well with GT 7 . Drive street car most of the times .

Picked up a csl universal adapter today and slapped on an old wheel I had laying in storage.
It does mute the effects slightly (as stated before), but the immersion factor went up immensely. Feels like driving a proper street car with powersteering now.

IMG20230611130434.jpg

I ended up going with the standard DD1 as the sale of the PS4 version fell through. Also went with a RacingCockpits.com "RCP Cockpit PRO." All other components are the same as originally planned. Haven't had a single issue with this setup on both PS4 and PS5 with GT7 and AC using a DriveHub. I'm quite happy with it!

Last edited:
Back