'Motorsport Theater' A place to watch classic races in Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter DefNotJake
  • 10 comments
United States
Maryland, USA
Has anyone ever watched the original GT Sort opening movie, and thought about how cool it would be to watch classic motorsport broadcast's in the menu's of Gran Turismo? Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Indycar already graciously uploads classic races for free on their Youtube. Would it really be that hard to convince them, and maybe even the FIA (Gran Turismo partner) to allow archived race broadcasts be uploaded to the game? I don't know about you, but I would spend so much time watching old races on my couch if they were conveniently included in the menu's of the game.

I like the idea Jake.

They needn't be downloaded IMHO; streaming would do just-fine.

At any rate, it'd be another way for PD to ensure that we've got the game loaded a whole-lot more, which from its POV couldn't be a bad thing, you'd think.

Would it really be that hard to convince them, and maybe even the FIA (Gran Turismo partner) to allow archived race broadcasts be uploaded to the game?

Yes, actually it would be very tough to accomplish and likely not worth the resources needed to pull it off.

not entertain this idea

Oddly enough they actually did entertain the idea during the GT5: P days but it never really gained traction (I can't recall if it even made it into the full release).

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-tv-goes-pay-per-view-with-new-content/

dims

2717975378_032a054a8e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, actually it would be very tough to accomplish and likely not worth the resources needed to pull it off.

Oddly enough they actually did entertain the idea during the GT5: P days but it never really gained traction (I can't recall if it even made it into the full release).

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-tv-goes-pay-per-view-with-new-content/

dims

2717975378_032a054a8e_b.jpg

I'm sure they did but PDs issue is that its okay to entertain these ideas when you're light years ahead of the competition and blowing everyone out of the water with sheer volume of content.

But they're not anymore, and the core aspects of the gameplay like AI and the output of new tracks are below average compared to their competitors, and having an in game YouTube equivalent is spending resources on the frilly bits while not adding to the core gameplay.

I'm sure they did but PDs issue is that its okay to entertain these ideas when you're light years ahead of the competition and blowing everyone out of the water with sheer volume of content.

But they're not anymore, and the core aspects of the gameplay like AI and the output of new tracks are below average compared to their competitors, and having an in game YouTube equivalent is spending resources on the frilly bits while not adding to the core gameplay.

I wasn't really arguing your point, just figured it was an opportune time to highlight the fact PD tried it when the concept actually made some sense and it still failed.

They basically already do this via embedded Youtube links in brand central.
View attachment 978024

I don't have GTS so you'll have to elaborate as to what exactly said videos contain. It's one thing if they are just mini-documentaries but actual race replays would require deals with the individual commercial rights holder of each series (not the FIA, they are just a sanctioning body), which could get very expensive, especially since most have TV deals or their own streaming services.

Last edited:
I don't have GTS so you'll have to elaborate as to what exactly said videos contain. It's one thing if they are just mini-documentaries but actual race replays would require deals with the individual commercial rights holder of each series (not the FIA, they are just a sanctioning body), which could get very expensive, especially since most have TV deals or their own streaming services.

They're literally just YouTube videos opening in the PS4 browser, so no deals actually involved. PD aren't hosting the videos.

Yeah, they are just videos streaming from YT, that are played in PD's own video player. As long as the videos are from official YT channels like Indianapolis Motor Speedway from the one I linked, one would think it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Back