• Thread starter TAB3500
  • 3 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia
Australia
TAB3500
Map+of+Mt.Panorama+circuit,+Bathurst,+NSW,+1949.1.jpg

Hey dude, I wanted to start this one as a suggestion but it had already been done and heres the link

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/bathurst-mt-panorama-1963.299839/#post-9300526

I would love to see how fast I could get a heap of cars before Murray's!
I can't help with accurate numbers for the Sportcars & open wheelers that raced at Bathurst in the 1960's but I do know that in 1986, the last year before the circuit was modified, the fastest speed reached by a Touring Car, was 275km/h by the #05 Commodore driven by Peter Brock & Allan Moffat.
This was measured before the cars 'got air' over the hump, just before the Dunlop Bridge.
Another interesting fact: in 1987, Klaus Ludwig achieved the same speed just before braking for the right hand entry to the Chase in Qualifying, driving his not so legal Texaco Ford Sierra RS500.
It's fairly safe to say that, had the circuit remained the same, 280+ would've been possible followed by a tap of the brakes before the hump to keep things in control.

As speeds rose, the problem became crosswinds.
When the Dunlop Bridge was added to the circuit in 1982, it became evident during practice, that two cars side by side passing under the bridge could 'wander' dangerously close to one another. A Commodore had one of the biggest looses seen at Bathurst, up to that time, getting out of control over the hump and coming to rest at Murray's Corner.
In 1986, Peter Williamson driving his Toyota Supra, wrote the car off and failed to start the race having lost control in a crosswind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back