Mount panorama FIA GT Manufacturers Championship (WHY??)

• Thread starter D-Max
  • 31 comments
Scotland
Ayrshire
Jimmy281090
First of all, share your experience of the Mount Panorama race you take part in. Was it good? Was it bad?

I just done my race and it’s so far been my worst GTSport race! Who at Pd thought using this track with damage on and no ghosting was a good idea?

I couldn’t qualify for starts. Every time I came onto the straight on a hot lap, I was over taking cars who spun coming on to it from the left hander downhill hairpin and then when I reach the chicane at the end of the straight, I anticipate a hit and leave it late to turn but will get smashed off. This happened not once but 3 times.

As the race started, I got off to a flyer getting 4th overtaking all the turn 1 rushes after qualifying 9th (good considering not 1 lap was quick). I’m at the end of the straight going uphill into the right hander, no issues until we hit the double left where a beetle comes up behind me, puts me in the wall and I recieve a 10s penalty for being forced into the car in front. This behaviour continues to happen for the first 3/4 Laos and I can’t get out he way of it, I’m literally a moving brake marker.

At he same double left uphil, on lap 8 I take it pretty well, no wall touches, no sideways, just pretty damn sweet! Only to be hit with a 10s penalty again? No cars were around and I didn’t touch the wall... was it really that well taken that kaz has to penalise me?

All in all, a horrific race! Finishing 7th overall so moving up 2 places. A horrendous experience that moved my driver rating from A/A to C/E by being hit! And not to mention when going down the straight, letting the car track in a straight line, I received a safety rating drop for a beetle hitting my side even though I didn’t turn my wheels!

Happy racing everyone haha

Your safety rating dropped from A to E in one race? You didn’t quit mid race or anything?
No I finished the race. I honestly got bounced around that much it was like an orange SR stuck to my screen the first few laps. I done everything to get out he way but it was just a demolition derby, no one using brakes or people rejoining track but not ghosting

I think this story is a bit overblown... you won't cop 10 seconds over nothing, it has to be a serious shortcut or basically knocking someone off completely.

I have raced at Bathurst more than a few times now and I would say its more positive experiences than negative ones. When I first drove the track I considered it to be quite tight but once you get the line and flow right (crucial over skyline and down towards forest elbow) you'll find it wide enough to make passes if the skill is there. To be fair I am Australian and I think Bathurst as a track makes a lot of people trade skill for ego attempting to be Peter Brock.

The one thing you touched on is something a lot of racers still struggle with, and thats braking points. Every car has slightly different ones and every driver has different ones again, and at 250km/h it doesn't take more than about a tenth of a second between brake applications to become a pinball and see red. If more people just realised you can't go side by side into every corner in GT, braked a bit softer and a bit earlier through mid pack, I would think a lot of grief would be solved.

I think this story is a bit overblown... you won't cop 10 seconds over nothing, it has to be a serious shortcut or basically knocking someone off completely.

I have raced at Bathurst more than a few times now and I would say its more positive experiences than negative ones. When I first drove the track I considered it to be quite tight but once you get the line and flow right (crucial over skyline and down towards forest elbow) you'll find it wide enough to make passes if the skill is there. To be fair I am Australian and I think Bathurst as a track makes a lot of people trade skill for ego attempting to be Peter Brock.

The one thing you touched on is something a lot of racers still struggle with, and thats braking points. Every car has slightly different ones and every driver has different ones again, and at 250km/h it doesn't take more than about a tenth of a second between brake applications to become a pinball and see red. If more people just realised you can't go side by side into every corner in GT, braked a bit softer and a bit earlier through mid pack, I would think a lot of grief would be solved.

I also have had more good races at Bathurst than bad. I've seen plenty of bad racing there though but have managed mostly to stay away from it.

But I tbh I've seen 10s penalties handed down for very little.

Ive only done a few races on MP in sport mode and really only had the 1 issue.
Car hit outside wall going down the hill, I was coming up much faster and had a clear run past. He bounce off the wall into me and I copped the penalty. Outside that ive had some really tight close racing on the track and really enjoyed it.

Bathurst has that chicane at the top of the hill cheaters love to scoot over. Thing is, they often end up losing control of their car after while me racing cleanly sale past their ghost.

Sigh.....

People will always take drugs.
People will always complain drugs ruined their lives.
People still take the drugs.

People will always enter the Sport dailies and FIA last man standing episodes.
People will always complain about their SR/DR losses in said sessions due to 1) bad coding 2) bad people
People still enter the Sport dailies and FIA episodes......
etc

Nah Nordschleife is the best track, sadly not available in Sport mode. Or perhaps for the better.

Bathurst is a lot of fun to drive alone, stay well away for FIA races. It can be fun to follow behind a group and watch the carnage, then pass the ghost wrecks. Problem is the mess in front of you continues to slow everyone down while the people behind you catch back up and now you're in the middle of it!

I love Bathurst and have good races, but last nights performance from the other drivers was horrific! The main issue is the lack of ghosting which normally I hate, but was totally needed!

Bathurst has that chicane at the top of the hill cheaters love to scoot over. Thing is, they often end up losing control of their car after while me racing cleanly sale past their ghost.

Sigh.....

People will always take drugs.
People will always complain drugs ruined their lives.
People still take the drugs.

People will always enter the Sport dailies and FIA last man standing episodes.
People will always complain about their SR/DR losses in said sessions due to 1) bad coding 2) bad people
People still enter the Sport dailies and FIA episodes......
etc
Why did you have bring up drugs? They already have a bad rep...

I avoided that death trap, I have come to realise that the best way to limit frustrations in Sport Mode is to race Gr.3 and only at Nurb, Suzuka and Alsace.

My field all had SR A/B which so far I haven’t had too much issue. This was my first ‘proper’ race at Bathurst outside organised racing and lobbies that I never take too seriously when it comes to the W recklessness of others because rs to be expected. I was certainly not amused

I quite enjoyed that race last night, going round int he RCZ if I recall. I will admit although braking hard i did punt someone off (not delibrately or anything,) even though i was around my same braking point, for some reason I'd carried more speed in from somewhere and couldn't stop. I did try to let him back past though

I quite enjoyed that race last night, going round int he RCZ if I recall. I will admit although braking hard i did punt someone off (not delibrately or anything,) even though i was around my same braking point, for some reason I'd carried more speed in from somewhere and couldn't stop. I did try to let him back past though
Slipstream, probably.

I’ve found this catches a lot of people out. I sometimes have been confused too, doing a similar speed behind a car as I would alone, my braking seems to be a lot worse but I don’t know that’s just me or not

Had to do it in the Gr3 Renault RS01, spins at the drop of a hat on the nasty downhill off camber left hander on the way down the hill
made up two places though because people quit so a good result in a bad car

Why do people inisist on trying to pass through the walled section, most don`t have the necessary talent to pass cleanly and i was spun around a couple of times

Great track in a decent car

Nah Nordschleife is the best track, sadly not available in Sport mode. Or perhaps for the better.

Bathurst is a lot of fun to drive alone, stay well away for FIA races. It can be fun to follow behind a group and watch the carnage, then pass the ghost wrecks. Problem is the mess in front of you continues to slow everyone down while the people behind you catch back up and now you're in the middle of it!
Ok I'll concede to that. Bathurst is my favourite. Nurb is the best.

As somebody who was a newcomer to serious sim car racing with GTS I think I have some different insight into this.
I tend to get really really into games, and am very competitive - this is what's happened with me with GTS, and while I had some GT4 experience (racing nascar online), I was never good at circuits.

Well, since GTS came out, I've been playing pretty frequently (maybe 1.5 hours a night on average, some nights none, some nights more).

I'm currently DR A and SR S.

I HATED Bathurst when I first started the game, boy I sucked at it and I thought the track was a piece of garbage.
I LOVE Bathurst now.

What changed?

I learned the track - simple as that.

I raced the FIA races last week on Bathurst, qualified P1 and finished P1, had some decent battles with P2, but he made a bad mistake on the last lefthander of the downhill which killed his momentum going down the mountain and he ended up having to focus on defending vs P3 and I drove away from the field for the last 4 laps.

Yes I have the advantage of not being in the middle of the pack, but even times I've raced Bathurst while not leading (granted mostly higher DR and SR) people have been great and the races even better.

I think the biggest thing is that, no matter how much SR you have - Bathurst is one of the most unforgiving tracks to drive, there is very little room, and there are barriers right on the edge of the track during the complicated sections, making it even less forgiving.
So, despite the fact that you are racing against other clean drivers, they do not have the skill to race Bathurst in a pack and because the track is unforgiving it causes a lot of accidents.

My opinion is eventually, as the game is out for longer and more and more people start to learn Bathurst, the racing should get better - but it will always be a difficult track for lower DR drivers to race on as the track requires a lot of skill to drive safely while in a group.

The most recent FIA race at Bathurst was my first race there. Surprisingly clean. I started 10th and finished 5th with only one contact during the race.

Like someone else said, As long as you’re up to DR B or above and SR S, races are usually pretty damn clean.

One of my favourite tracks. I've had some bad races there but also some very good. One of my best ones was during night time, and there was almost no accidents. I guess you just get unlucky sometimes no matter what track you're driving on.

To the Op, I Suffered similar Nightmare in the Manufacturer Gr3 race yesterday,Not only was it a nightmare trying to get the R8 down the back hill chicane,(And i Love this Track),Encountered the Dirtiest Racer yet,I Have played the game 3/4 hours a day since launch plus more on weekends ,Was Deliberately pitted out at the start/Finish line sending me Flying into the Trap at the end of the straight also getting an SR Warning for this?Had no previous encounter with this guy,Watching his replay turns out he was Battling for first with 2 other Racers and went off track,Dropped to last place,Then went on a Raging Temper Tantrum Crashing out Everyone on his Way back to 6th,Where he slowed before the finish line to cause a 4/5 car pile up before the Last Turn? I Had made it to B/S DR only to encounter Bad Guy after the Next And it only seems to be getting Worse? Now I'm barely hanging on to a C DR and after tonight on Blue Moon crash up Derby will most likely drop to D?

To the Op, I Suffered similar Nightmare in the Manufacturer Gr3 race yesterday,Not only was it a nightmare trying to get the R8 down the back hill chicane,(And i Love this Track),Encountered the Dirtiest Racer yet,I Have played the game 3/4 hours a day since launch plus more on weekends ,Was Deliberately pitted out at the start/Finish line sending me Flying into the Trap at the end of the straight also getting an SR Warning for this?Had no previous encounter with this guy,Watching his replay turns out he was Battling for first with 2 other Racers and went off track,Dropped to last place,Then went on a Raging Temper Tantrum Crashing out Everyone on his Way back to 6th,Where he slowed before the finish line to cause a 4/5 car pile up before the Last Turn? I Had made it to B/S DR only to encounter Bad Guy after the Next And it only seems to be getting Worse? Now I'm barely hanging on to a C DR and after tonight on Blue Moon crash up Derby will most likely drop to D?

That sucks. It's such a rewarding track to drive when people behave. I haven't had that pleasure yet. I've also seen the temper tantrum behaviour, even in daily races. Guy in last place trying to take out people lapping him on a 4 lap race. And someone slowing down to a crawl in the last chicane on Suzuka creating a pile-up mess before the finish line.

I wish there was some way to report people like that, submit a replay with it. I've been adding people to my block list in the hopes at some point the server will take that into account while matchmaking. My block list is getting very long after 400 sport races.

DR is also way too fluid. You drop back to D quite fast, and make it back to B pretty fast as well. As a result there's plenty people above their level in D while some are propelled into B before they're ready. Not that it matters all that much when matchmaking routinely lumps A to D together in races with over 10 sec difference in qualifying times.

In SR.S things need to be stricter. 3 strikes and DQ, no keeping on pin balling and ruining the race for the rest. Unfortunately the penalty system is unfair and I've met plenty people that know how to abuse it by nudging just right not to get a penalty. Repeatedly pushing you until you get off-road into a wall, how does it not detect that.

I usually don't have a problem with Bathurst on daily or FIA, the crowd up front gets hairy going up the hill into the tights but once the first lap crashes clears out the rest of the race is decent- just don't rush through positions going up that hill on first lap.

Only part of the track I have issues with is that tight corkscrew type section, I can never get it right everytime and it's so easy to spin out through it in a MR car.

I actually had a very enjoyable race 7 yesterday with mostly "D" DR and all "S" SR drivers. I nearly ran a clean race, but had to avoid one car before the chicane on top of the hill (took a huge time penalty for going straight instead of making that turn, but at least I didn't lose my SR). Cost me two positions, but I still gained 7 from my qualifying position and managed to scrub the penalty before I finished.

Last edited:
I’ve had mostly good experiences on Mount Panorama. I’ve been lucky enough to be at the front of the pack most of the time but I’ve had my battles in the mid-pack too.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is just try to be as consistent as possible and don’t push yourself right to the limit like you can on most other circuits. I’ve found that the less “talented” (aka dirty) drivers tend to drop off like flies over the course of a race, so you can just take it easy for the most part. Just let them on through and they’ll usually crash through the dipper or go too deep into The Chase.

I’d also say that watching a lot of races on the mountain helps a lot. I’ve watched the Bathurst 1000 religiously for most of my life and learned a lot from the professionals for my own online racing experience.

Back