Murcie's Garage - R51 Pathfinder Ti - Almost Everything is Done! (20/02/2020)

Murcie LP710
So, this is my step up from the Accord :D

DSC_0013 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

This is my 2000 WRX Club Spec Evo 4. Released in Australia as a 300-unit special edition (250 sedans, 50 hatches), the CSE4 only came in this Cashmere Yellow with the standard 16" alloys in black, black-and-yellow interior, STi white-faced gauges and a CD Player with two tweeters.

DSC_0015 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

DSC_0016 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

DSC_0018 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

DSC_0020 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

Power and torque over the standard 'Rex is the same, 160kW/224hp and 320Nm/236ft-lb, but this has had a couple of mods. I don't know how much power it is actually pumping, I might organise a dyno in the near future but it has an ECUTeK retune, a thicker custom intercooler and a 3" exhaust with standard tips (for a bit of stealth, but she's still pretty loud over a standard anyway :D)

DSC_0023 by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

There are a couple of tiny scratches (as you can see on the back bumper) but aside from that this thing is insanely clean for an early 'Rex and I'm amazed it wasn't snapped up earlier.

IMG_20120730_132233[1] by Murcie_LP640, on Flickr

Last edited:
That looks awesome! Very cool edition of the Impreza, despite the yellow being a tad too light for my taste. How much was it?

I've had the Accord for sale for a while now, hopefully I'll be getting a couple of bites on it soon. I want to use the money from that for a couple of bits on the Scooby. Mainly the stereo because, like most Rexes, it's pretty ordinary even with the two extra tweeters :sly: and like all my cars I want iPod connect in it.

The other reason why I'm selling the Accord though is because four cars in the yard isn't entirely handy right now and I can only drive/own one. Might as well make it the big yellow shouty one with the meaty steering.

That looks awesome! Very cool edition of the Impreza, despite the yellow being a tad too light for my taste. How much was it?

I was a little on the fence about the yellow too but after seeing it in the metal I actually really love it. It's kinda like Pikachu if it was a badass.

She was AU$13,200 cash.

ohh nice.... Does it corner well?

Yeah, she's very sweet round the corners, and in that Subaru way she's got a very planted feel. Ride of course is a bit bumpy but that doesn't fuss me when it feels this good to drive.

Will organise a video tomorrow of the exhaust sound.

I was a little on the fence about the yellow too but after seeing it in the metal I actually really love it. It's kinda like Pikachu if it was a badass.

She was AU$13,200 cash.

I see what you mean, would love to see one in that yellow in person. Though my mind tells me it doesn't really look great in that yellow. It's just nice to see a Impreza that doesn't follow the crowd. For example...blue. :rolleyes: Really don't see many Imprezas of that generation in yellow.

I'm guessing that's a good price? Not sure about the differences in Australian currency and the value of that special edition Impreza. :dunce:

Yeah she definitely turns heads compared to the rest of the Rexes here. Of the 10 or so other Rexes here 8 of them are the traditional WR Blue, one's white and one's silver.

Considering the mods and the LM status yeah it's a pretty decent price. The two I was choosing between were this one and a white GC8 for $12,800 with more mods and a similar service history but a rather more chequered exterior and interior state. This one was more immaculate, the ECUTeK tune was tuned more towards the low end which is what I preferred for everyday driving and the blow-off valve and much louder exhaust would have made the white one a complete cop magnet.

Hearing that, that is a great pick out of the two. Doesn't mean the yellow won't catch the polices' attention as well. :lol:

Love Subaru's, after having one as my first car. I somehow feel like I've got the Subaru bug and became...maybe...a fan of the company?

Awesome car man, really cool. Aftermarket support is superb too, which is something I don't have the luxury of with my GT-Four - I have to go custom for a lot of things. Now for some nice wide track orientated wheels, and ditch the top mount (but paint the front mount black for stealth) and it will be a real weapon!

In my humble opinion don't go TE37s, on the account of EVERYONE going with TE37s lol. Lemme get back to you on this with some ideas.

Edit: Those light weight TE37s in black with the red writing on one of the spokes would be cool. But yeah, let me throw some ideas together - a car like this in this colour needs to look completely bad ass, like it is on its way to the racetrack.

If I did get new wheels I'd prefer them to be no bigger than 18s, probably best to only go to 17s. 'Cause they're standard 16s it's illegal to go bigger than 18s anyway lol.

I guess the TE37s are a little overdone too.

Nice Subie! That's what mine wants to look like, without the yellow :lol:. If you do end up buying new wheels soon be sure to let me know and i'll buy those ones off you :).

Super quick list to give you some ideas:
RaysTE37SL.jpg

There are the super light TE37s I was talking about. Bad Ass.
RaysGramlights57G.jpg

Gram Lights 57G
AdvanRacingTCIII.jpg

Advan TCIII
ADVAN%20RS%20A.jpg

Advan RS - although in dark gunmetal
11RBlack.jpg

Work Emotion 11R

I used Perfect Run for the pics - they are who I bought my SSRs and Teins through. If you do end up wanting some Japanese wheels, I highly recommend buying them through them, they have been great.

Really digging the TCIIIs. I reckon I'd stick with 5-spoke wheels if I change 'em; nice, simple and clean. As she's my daily driver though I reckon the first thing to go in will be stereo bits as I still have them laying around from the ol' Cereal Box. In a couple of months or when the Accord sells, I'll start thinking about the mags.

Cheers for the site though, definitely will be looking to them in the future.

So she's booked in next Wednesday for the stereo install, with most of the bits coming from SIC EM 1.0 and my old Skyline. Full list:

- Pair 6.5" 3-way Rockford Fosgate PUNCH speakers for the front doors
- Pair 6" 2-way Rockford Fosgate PUNCH speakers for parcel shelf
- Pair of Focal crossovers
- Sony Xplod XAV-64BT double-DIN head unit (will keep the old Clarion CD Player though as it's part of the CSE4 package)
- Alpine Type-S 12" sub in enclosure (only bit I haven't actually bought yet; will be paid for when it all goes in), amped with a Rockford Fosgate PUNCH monoblock.

After this I'm going to be ordering a set of custom plates for her and then start saving my bucks for some new springs and/or some nice wheels; I'm thinking either Enkei PF01 or Advan RS.

So in typical fashion for me I've narrowed it down to two sets of wheels which are completely different to all the others that I've been wanting and/or have been suggested. But while I'm still cut up about what choice of wheel, what I'm really wanting to find out is what rubber to put on them!

Because there's very little clearance in the guards, particularly the rear, I'm pretty much limited to a 215-section tyre and I don't really want to have to roll the lips up so I'm going to play it safe. So for a high-performance tyre: any suggestions? I've only got experience with Toyos, there's Teo+'s on the standard wheels at the moment and old SIC EM was shod with Toyo Proxes4s. There's been a hearty recommendation for Bridgestone RE002 Adrenalins and Federal 595s (was thinking 595RPMs) but I kinda want to get some more opinions/experience. Size I'm looking for is 215/45/R17.

Also for reference, these are the two sets I've narrowed my wheel selection down to:

WedsSport SA-67R - 17x7.5 +45 - TS Gun Metallic

WEDS-SA67R-TSG_4.jpg

WedsSport SA-60M - 17x7.5 +48 - Matte Black Machining

5537421417_ef49636b12.jpg

Quite tempted to bite the bullet and go for the SA-60M even though they're considerably more expensive than the 67R...$300 more in fact. There were quite a few different styles I was looking at but quite a few of them have been overplayed on Rexs like CR Kais (and the eerily similar knockoff Rota Torque) and Enkei RPF1s. There's a bloke who's got the 67Rs on his 06 WRX STi and it looks pretty sweet to me:

IMG_5656ED.jpg

Anyhoo, the main thing I need to sort out is the rubber now. Hoping to get both the wheels and the tyres ordered in a couple of weeks time.

Both of those rim choices look fantastic, good choice 👍

As for tyres, don't forget to factor in the load rating you require for your model. Why do you not want to get your guards rolled? Done professionally you can't tell it's been done, mine were rolled.

I'm running a 215/45/17, Dunlop Sportmaxx TT. They have a load rating of 91. I can directly compare them to any other type of tyre as this is the first tyre I've run in this size with my wheels and suspension set up, but I've found both dry and wet performance to be excellent and road noise to be excellent, too. Plus they look good.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

I got them from Beurepaires when they were having a good sale, all four, fitted and balanced for just under $1000.

Both of those rim choices look fantastic, good choice 👍

Cheers 👍 both have considerably cheaper prices on PerfectRun too than anywhere else that I can find them :D

As for tyres, don't forget to factor in the load rating you require for your model.

Most of the tyres in this size cover the load/speed rating easily so no sweat with this.

Why do you not want to get your guards rolled? Done professionally you can't tell it's been done, mine were rolled.

I guess more than anything else there's no-one down where I am that I'd trust with doing it to be honest; in which case it's going to be more money than its worth just making the trip up to Adelaide let alone paying for the guard roll, or doing it myself which...hehe, I wouldn't even trust myself getting it right. This has been a proven size combo for the GC8s anyway and it won't require guard modification even with light lowering which is what I'm going to be doing next.

I'm running a 215/45/17, Dunlop Sportmaxx TT.

Looking good 👍

I got them from Beurepaires when they were having a good sale, all four, fitted and balanced for just under $1000.

Not bad aye. IIRC Federal SS-595s are $187ea from my local tyre store but a mate of mine who works there can get a full set of Bridgey RE002s for around $950 w/fitting and balancing. Reckon I'll spend the little extra and go with those.

PerfectRun are really good. I'm considering having a change up one day and going for more of an aggressive look and selling the SSRs. Maybe. Similar wheels to what you are going with, actually.

So, update!

My new plates have arrived and I wasted no time chucking them on:

737703_4005076696554_1627021905_o.jpg

And while I still haven't decided on the wheels, I've ordered in the tyres. Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002s in 215/45/17.

Last edited:
Awesome plate! I saw a car like yours in Perth, unfortunately I didn't see you in SA.

Good luck on the wheel search. I know just how tough that is! Those WedsSports above do look fantastic as I imagine they would on the car.

Update again, I have ordered my wheels and as is sort of a custom for me I did a complete 180 on them.

So, what have I ordered? Enkeis!

enkei_gtc01_hyperblk_ci3_l.jpg

I have to wait 8 agonising weeks as they're on back-order but they'll be well worth it. They're 18x8 Enkei GTC01s with a +48 offset in hyper black.

As for tyres I'm going to be ordering a set of Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31) 225/40/R18. They're a lot cheaper than the RE002 I was planning originally and they still deliver admirable performance but, more importantly, a much higher tread life.

Update again, I have ordered my wheels and as is sort of a custom for me I did a complete 180 on them.

So, what have I ordered? Enkeis!

enkei_gtc01_hyperblk_ci3_l.jpg

I have to wait 8 agonising weeks as they're on back-order but they'll be well worth it. They're 18x8 Enkei GTC01s with a +48 offset in hyper black.

As for tyres I'm going to be ordering a set of Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31) 225/40/R18. They're a lot cheaper than the RE002 I was planning originally and they still deliver admirable performance but, more importantly, a much higher tread life.

Nice purchase 👍.

Despite already having new wheels, how much would you want for those sexy black ones you have there ;).

Despite already having new wheels, how much would you want for those sexy black ones you have there ;).

Hehehe :sly:

To be fair I'd probably want about $450-500 for them if I was selling them (that's with the tyres; Toyo Teo Plus' still with about 65% tread or thereabouts) but to be honest I'm still not entirely sure on whether I'm selling them or would it be worth keeping them and chucking them back on the Rex as part of the CSE4 pack when/if it comes down to selling the car...probably depends on how long I'll be keeping the Rex for, I'm growing more and more fond of 'er each day :D

In any case though I'll keep you posted if I put the mags up for sale and if you're still interested in them mate 👍

Last edited:
Back