My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited [Sold]

C_Raccoon23

Local Trash Panda 🦝
Premium
United States
USA
TPC_Raccooon23
CRaccoon23
After owning a 1996 Integra for 4 years, I thought it was time for another car. For my type of lifestyle, I had to get a sedan, but at the same time I wanted a car that was fun and had a bit of power. So after considering some options, I settled for a Subaru Legacy. I was also thinking of getting an Impreza, but Legacys always seemed more unique to me. I originally wanted a Spec B but when I found this, I couldn't turn it down, especially since it was cheaper than a Spec B.

Well, here it is. :)

212e36361f583194dfb7ee406d949dc8_zpsd8cbff34.jpg

83722deb3cd31225102b982171e2f638_zps754db73a.jpg

Wish the normal wheels came with it, but hey, I am not complaining. :D

Last edited:
Sorry, the rims don't look too good. The spokes are too thin. Other than that, nice Legacy! I like the black interior!

Congrats. AWD cars are so fun in the winter. It looks very clean too inside and out. Even the engine bay is super clean.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll be sure to keep it in the same condition it was in when I bought it. :cheers:

As for modifications, not any time soon, if at all. The fact that the car needs premium gas has me watching my money more carefully. :lol:

Last edited:
Update on the car. I started hearing a rattling noise whenever I held the clutch down and it turns out the throwout bearing is starting to wear. I took it to a Subaru dealership this past weekend and they said it would be about $1000 to replace.

The car is still under warranty however, so hopefully this won't be coming out of my pocket.

2005 Subaru still under warranty? Must be a third party thing. Longest subaru extended plan is 7 years long, which I guess is feasible (2005 model year car sold very-very late on 2006, along with new MY2007), but doubtful.
Hence, I would not expect them to cover this. They are gonna say "normal wear and tear".

If you're fixing it on your own dime - install a 'snout kit'. Faulty throwout bearing probably wore down the grooving of the tranny quill so that the dealer would want to rape you with a complete transfer case replacement. Here's a vid, explaining things. $1000 is way to high. Basically shop around for good Subaru shops. Replacing a clutch (which you should do while in there any way, shoud be under $500. Add the 'snout kit' and you're still under $700 and it will last longer than the car.

Ah, the old "$20 part that costs $1,000" to fix problem. :P

Yeah, 7 hours of labor just to reach the thing, they said. :ouch:

But fortunately, I have some surprisingly good news: there's nothing wrong with the car!

Had it looked at by the dealarship I bought the car from, and they said one of the previous owners installed an upgraded clutch into the car, and that what was causing the noise. They said it's normal. Gonna pick up the car after work today. I'm so relieved.

@dsgerbc: I'll keep that information in mind for future reference. Thanks.

Been a long time since an update.

Unfortunately, the car has a pretty bad valve seal leak. I noticed it when some sort of fluid was leaking onto the driveway. Checked the transmission dipstick and no fluid was appearing on it. Good news is, it's getting repaired today. Just glad I caught it in time before any damage was done.

Also, I'm seriously considering upgrading the exhaust system once I get the money. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.invidia-usa.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=220

:cheers:Beautiful welcome to the family!

***Edit Wow Im late haha.

Anyway glad to see its back up and feeling better, what are your future plans now?

:cheers:Beautiful welcome to the family!

***Edit Wow Im late haha.

Anyway glad to see its back up and feeling better, what are your future plans now?

Thanks!

Well, as I said, I am interested in upgrading the exhaust system. I won't be able to do it anytime soon though, so I was hoping to get some insight beforehand.

Thanks!

Well, as I said, I am interested in upgrading the exhaust system. I won't be able to do it anytime soon though, so I was hoping to get some insight beforehand.

Nice well there are a lot of choices thats for sure. What kind of sound are you looking for? Loud, smooth, or just more efficient without the loudness?

Well, I've had my Legacy for over two years now, so I'm going to take the time to update this thread. I'm happy to report that it's still running great. Right now, it's at 160,000 miles.

Here's a photo I took of it over the weekend:

355_F6_DEF_E4_C5_4_EAB_B9_C9_CEB77_E9_DDB29_zpsdz1lvdpn.jpg

Still looks the same as the day I bought it. :)

Well, for the most part. The paint around the hood scoop has discolored a bit over time.

Now to talk about how it's been running. On my last oil change, the local Subaru dealership brought some things to my attention.

First, they told me the alternator belt had to be replaced. So, I decided to look underneath the car myself when I got home and there appears to be a small slit at the surface of the belt.

Altenator_Belt.jpg

It doesn't seem deep though. It looks more like a wrinkle. This photo is also a few weeks old and ever since I took it, it doesn't appear to be getting worse but I'll continue keeping an eye on it.

Next, they told me my right-front axle had to be replaced too. Here's a photo of that:

image.jpg

And here's the left one for comparison:

image.jpg

They both appear to be fine. These are also as old as the alternator belt photo. I'm going to take another look at their condition now whenever I get the chance, to see if I missed anything. The car doesn't seem to have issues either when on the road, so I'm kind of skeptical about the whole thing.

So yeah, that's the update on my car. I still want to upgrade the exhaust system, but unfortunately, it's still going to be a long time before I'm able to do that.

Looking good there. I'd love to have a Legacy 2.5 GT of that generation; it's basically a WRX in a suit. They're also damn hard to find sadly.

I see you're not having any ringland problems which is nice. Can't wait to hear it when you upgrade the exhaust.

@Master Weasel

For the 05-07 4th gens, modding is a bit more involved than the 08-09s. They catted the up-pipe. :irked: Thank God I've a 2008. If you decide to go "Stage 2", you'll see very little decrease in fuel economy. You'll probably be doing the engine a favor. I went stage 2 on my OBXT, and it's a whole new animal. For your car, you won't even recognize it. It cost me about a grand in parts and two hours of my time to get it all set up, but totally worth it.

Mufflers will be pointless without a bellmouth downpipe, and the downpipe will be pointless without a catless up-pipe. However, Subaru was kind enough to force you to do all this work anyways every 90k. There's a screen in the turbo oil return line. It tends to fail every 90k.

Beautiful car. 👍

Great looking car, How did you find transitioning from an AT to a MT?

Thanks!

Well, I learned how to drive manual a year prior to getting the car, so I was ready to drive it immediately. MT defenitely makes driving more enjoyable overall. Even on days where traffic is a pain the rear, I still don't regret switching from automatic.

The car has been acting a little strange lately. The engine seems to hessitate and struggle sometimes whenever the car is accelerating. The Check Engine light has come on as well the Cruise light, which flashes. The weird thing is these lights appeared before and then went away after I checked to make sure the gas cap was tightly screwed, but they have returned. And I don't think the issue is a loose gas cap this time.

I'm going to get this checked out soon and do some research in the mean time. The engine has never given me problems up until now.

The car has been acting a little strange lately. The engine seems to hessitate and struggle sometimes whenever the car is accelerating. The Check Engine light has come on as well the Cruise light, which flashes. The weird thing is these lights appeared before and then went away after I checked to make sure the gas cap was tightly screwed, but they have returned. And I don't think the issue is a loose gas cap this time.

I'm going to get this checked out soon and do some research in the mean time. The engine has never given me problems up until now.

Could be an O2 Sensor.

Back