My 3D printing journey

• Thread starter TB
  • 218 comments
TB
Software says 20 hours, 13 minutes
Are you using a less dense in fill setting or are you keeping it the same as the already printed half? Possibly easier to bond if both are the same?

Eighteen hours in and going well. Besides where it lifted off the bed a bit so it'll have a Michael Strahan-esque gap I'll need to fill. :lol:
Are you using a less dense in fill setting or are you keeping it the same as the already printed half? Possibly easier to bond if both are the same?
And if there's a substantial difference in weight it'd probably keep falling over!
The first half is at 15%, the second is at 10% (85 and 90% hollow, respectively). Weighing the first half, it's 185 grams and the software estimates the second will be 146. Considering half of it stands up on its own, I'm not worried about it falling over. :)

As for bonding, the part that was on the base is exactly the same - a thick .8mm layer so no worries there, either.

The next print (which wasn't going to be the next one but the filament I have is the right color that I shouldn't need to paint it) is slated to take almost 40 hours but when it's done, it's done. Besides maybe a dab or two of red. I'll need to look into if prints should have a clear coat put on them for durability or not. Should be a lot easier to guess sooner as it has a base plate with some writing on it. ;)

Last edited:
Estimated - 20 hours, 13 minutes
Actual - 21 hours, 35 minutes

20190406_155044.jpg

A bit to fill in but all in all not bad. Nothing a bit of filler can't fix.

Re-leveling quick then starting the next print.

Thingiverse link

Last edited:
Got started later than I wanted to but I'm back up and printing. One hour in, guesses?

20190406_204711.jpg

Anyone gets it right off of that, I'm sending it to you for free. :P

Edit: Four hours, line 90 out of a staggering 1,728:

20190406_234417.jpg

5:47, 168:

20190407_012952.jpg

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask. What's the maximum depth/height that you can print? And is it the print head or the bed that moves up and down?

Er, T800. I'll be back to see how it progresses. ;)

fichier-t800-base-et-support-%E3-

T800
Told you this one would be easier. If for no other reason the base. :D
I've been meaning to ask. What's the maximum depth/height that you can print? And is it the print head or the bed that moves up and down?
General rule, I can print an 8" cube in one piece. The T-800 will be 173mm out of a maximum 250. Plenty of room left.

Bed moves forward and back (Y), print head moves both left and right (X) and up and down (Z).
I'll be back to see how it progresses. ;)
Please do otherwise this thread is pointless!

12h16m, 405 layers:

20190407_075621.jpg

Currently, layers are taking about 1m20s (and getting faster as it goes) so progress should be good from here on out.

Twenty two and a half hours in I just had a piece break off of the base. I've done a bit of surgery to tape it back into place. Hopefully I caught it quick enough, and the tape holds, for it to not affect the rest of the print. :scared:

I won't really know where it's supposed to be for another 90 layers as that's when it finally connects up to the main part of the body. :ill:

Edit: It's not looking good.

Edit edit. After two hours of nursing it along, I finally have it looking decent again. When you're working with .1mm tolerances, there isn't much room for error. Too high and the print head hits it, too low and the filament doesn't stick, falls off and layer by layer the gap increases.

Last edited:
Looks like my fix is holding (pics of that mess later as it's on the back side :irked:). Made it through the night without incident. Should easily be done by the time I'm home from work.

Screenshot_20190408-070110_Zmodo.jpg

No more marathon prints for a while, me thinks.

Printer just stopped. I'll get better pictures (and see what kind of damage it really took) when I get home.

Screenshot_20190408-135415_Zmodo.jpg

New print started. The first in a series of eight that all go together. This one might be hard to guess even after it's done. :dopey:

20190409_070323.jpg

Depending on how strong the filament is when hardened it might be worth test printing a few of these off for something that could earn a few extra £££s towards your future projects expenses..

il_340x270.1794195420_osmq.jpg

I personally have snapped these clamps like twigs on about 6 different wheels over the years from the old momo to dfp dfgt g29 all have snapped clamps and usually end up using one of these below to replace the broken clamps but they are unsightly and sometimes I smack my kneecap on the pin haha :P I reckon snapped clamps are pretty common or is it just me?

c-clamp.jpg

Such a huge select audience at GTP might be a lucrative outlet through time for printed wheel parts... I know for sure if the clamps were super strong and could withstand against my heavy handedness I'd defo be interested in buying some maybe paying slightly over the ebay average price for a hopeful longer lifespan, I have purchased on ebay but they just snapped easy also hence the metal g clamp fix.

I'm not really sure how these 3d printers work or if the material used to print can be different strengths? but its really cool and the possibilities seem endless on what you can print 👍 Will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully someday I can own one of these crazy machines and just print the things that break so easily around my house :D

Great thread :cheers:

I know for sure if the clamps were super strong and could withstand against my heavy handedness I'd defo be interested in buying some maybe paying slightly over the ebay average price for a hopeful longer lifespan, I have purchased on ebay but they just snapped easy
You can change, effectively, how solid something prints from zero, meaning hollow, to 100, meaning solid. The higher the number, the more filament it takes and the longer the print time.
I'm not really sure how these 3d printers work or if the material used to print can be different strengths?
They do have "pro" PLA filament that is supposed to be stronger but I've never used it or even printed anything beyond my theater room stuff so can't speak to its attributes.
Great thread :cheers:
Much appreciated. :)

- - - - -

New screenshot from a few minutes ago:

Screenshot_20190409-104421_Zmodo.jpg

Guesses?

Edit: Another two hours of progress:

Screenshot_20190409-124457_Zmodo.jpg

Still not much help. :P

Last edited:
A Lowry depiction of Strangeways prison :D
I'm not sure what any of that means but it doesn't matter. That's not it. :P
When are you printing your own Oscar? :)
That would be an interesting addition. I'll have to add it to my list!
Looks like a slice of cake! Have you swapped from filament to icing?
Who are we kidding. I wouldn't bother printing anything with icing, I'd just eat it straight out of the container!

- - - - -

This is going to take an enormous amount of cleanup. And it's only the first of 8 pieces!

20190409_224644.jpg

20190409_224925.jpg

Still not very helpful, am I? :lol:

Just going off of your first two prints. I'm assuming it's something from the 1980's. :lol:

Back