My 3D printing journey

• Thread starter TB
  • 218 comments
Question @TB.

Let's say that I buy an off-road R/C car, 1/6 scale and I want to build a replica of this car, scale 1/3. The parts I need to 3D print need to be bigger than the original parts, you know 1/6 > 1/3.

Is it possible to scan the parts with a very good 3D scanner, upload the images into a 3D printer software where I can adjust the dimensions of the part to fit the 1/3 scale replica and print these parts with a 3D printer?

We did the opposite with Rocket (as in Stevenson's Rocket), we paid a lot of money for a company to come in and do archival LIDAR scans and photogrammetry of it before it was moved up to the National Railway Museum then had a tiny, don't know what scale, 3D print of it made because we could. I'll see if I can get a photo of it, I think it's behind my boss's desk.

We did the opposite with Rocket (as in Stevenson's Rocket), we paid a lot of money for a company to come in and do archival LIDAR scans and photogrammetry of it before it was moved up to the National Railway Museum then had a tiny, don't know what scale, 3D print of it made because we could. I'll see if I can get a photo of it, I think it's behind my boss's desk.
Thanks! Yes please, if you take a photo, post it. I'm interested.

@kikie it's a bit rougher than I remembered, but:

20190426_155934.jpg

That second filament guide keeps falling off whenever I pull the filament out so it had to go. The print that just finished was to be able to move the spool from on top of the printer to right next to the extruder. I haven't printed anything yet but it looks promising:

20190426_220207.jpg

Thingiverse link

There's something humorous about 3D printing things to simplify/improve the 3D printing process.
I obviously agree but it's also awesome that people way smarter than me have already designed these things and uploaded them for everyone!

Despite my third roll of filament being delivered today, I'm still milking my first roll and I'm betting there's a lot more on the second than I think there is.

Have you started cleaning anything up? I'd be interested to know how easy the material is to work with, particularly if sanding of it is necessary.

I'm also wondering how you'll address the crevice in the mouth opening of the idol, since the tight confines may be an issue.

God help me, I'm actually considering a purchase...though I don't have a clue what sort of thing I'd print. It's just so...neat.

Edit: Sorry if not quoting you is an inconvenience. It just seems silly to quote within a post that isn't a response to anything.

Have you started cleaning anything up? I'd be interested to know how easy the material is to work with, particularly if sanding of it is necessary.
If there's a seam, it will need to be filled and sanded. How much depends on the print. See below for further on that.
I'm also wondering how you'll address the crevice in the mouth opening of the idol, since the tight confines may be an issue.
After the setback with the Bondo curing so damn fast, I haven't gone back to the idol with the wood filler I bought yet. Should be doing that tomorrow. I'll report back on that then.

As for the inside of the mouth, it lined up fairly well so I was just going to take care of the gap in the teeth and call it good.The Bondo felt like it was pretty smooth until I tossed a coat of primer on it and all the imperfections showed up. Again, I haven't given it another sanding but will do that before the wood filler goes on.
God help me, I'm actually considering a purchase...though I don't have a clue what sort of thing I'd print. It's just so...neat.
I had the idea of the theater room stuff then checked how much it would cost to have the campus library print them - essentially $250/roll. I obviously opted for $20/roll and a $200 printer. With my first roll 95% gone and my second at 80%, I'm WAY ahead already. Either that or I'd have to pick and choose what I really wanted printed. Now if something pops into my head, like a lens hood (which would cost me 12 grams of filament putting it at a staggering $0.24!), I figure why not? For reference, I could print 96 of them for the price of one from Canon!

I'm sure I don't need to fuel that fire but look around Thingiverse, do some searches for Kitchen stuff, PS4 controller steering wheel, digital sundial, corndog holsters, you get the point. Or design your own stuff. Find enough things to justify it and there really isn't a reason not to.
Edit: Sorry if not quoting you is an inconvenience. It just seems silly to quote within a post that isn't a response to anything.
No worries. I have the thread watched so I get an alert whenever anyone posts in here. :)

TB
laughslap.gif

I was about to make a joke about "marital aids" presumably being popular subject matter for 3D printing, but I clicked the link and it's better than I could have possibly imagined.

Thanks for the info. I gather everything you've done so far has been of someone else's design? What does the printer itself interface with? I'm about as computer savvy as a rock.

I was about to make a joke about "marital aids" presumably being popular subject matter for 3D printing, but I clicked the link and it's better than I could have possibly imagined.
I can't remember how I came across that but I promise I wasn't looking for marital aids (which are on there... :odd:). Or a corn dog holder. Hell, I don't even have a shower rod to mount it to. :P
I gather everything you've done so far has been of someone else's design?
Everything except the soap dispenser base has simply been downloaded. The base I designed in AutoCAD, exported as an .stl file opened in my "slicer" program (that's what generates the code that tells the printer what to do with each layer) then... again see below.
What does the printer itself interface with?
After the slicer... slices, you can either send it straight from the computer to the printer or, what I'm doing, save it onto a Micro SD card. My printer came with an 8Gb card and a USB adapter so it's a breeze to plug it in, save and eject the card, pop it into the printer and hit go.

- - - - -

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner but to precisely remove some of the Bondo, I should probably break out my Dremel.

Provided I can find the damn thing. I haven't used it since we moved (almost 7 years) and have no clue where it's hiding. :irked:

TB
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner but to precisely remove some of the Bondo, I should probably break out my Dremel.

Provided I can find the damn thing. I haven't used it since we moved (almost 7 years) and have no clue where it's hiding. :irked:
If you're anything like me, it's in that box.

The wood putty is grittier than I was expecting but looks like its filling and sanding alright. I'm about to give it another once over with the 220 then the 400, wipe it down and shoot it with another coat of primer.

Fingers crossed.

New print teaser:

20190429_191740.jpg

Yes, it's from a movie and it's one of three pieces that make up one prop. :D

Edit: The end of the first spool is nigh!

20190429_192148.jpg

Finally did my first ever mid-print filament change, surprisingly at layer 143 out of 168. Never thought it would make it that far!

Last edited:
It is incredible what a layer of primer reveals. When things are four different colors, imperfections don't really jump out. Once it's all (mostly) the same color, good grief is it obvious.

20190430_202435.jpg

Once that dries completely, there will be a bit more filling and sanding. But it is getting better than when I started!

Looking good.

With your new found facial reconstruction talents you'll be able to practice dentistry when you've finished. With perhaps a touch of plastic surgery for good measure.

TB - Teeth & Beauty?

Looking good.

With your new found facial reconstruction talents you'll be able to practice dentistry when you've finished. With perhaps a touch of plastic surgery for good measure.
The sad part is younger, naive me thought the idol was going to be a simple, two piece print. It would match up great, a little smoothing at the seam, prime, paint and on the shelf. Done in a few days. Granted, I haven't worked on it very much (time-wise) but it's a lot more hands-on than I was expecting, especially with the corners that lifted. Oh, well. Had to learn how to do all this eventually, right?
TB - Teeth & Beauty?
More like Totally Botched. :lol:

Another bit of sanding, some more filler and waiting for it to dry to repeat the process.

While I wait, the next of potentially numerous prints. Depends on how things go. If events leading up to this are any indication, it might be an only child. :irked:

20190502_192858.jpg

I was intended to be printed in one shot but the tiny supports don't want to stay stuck and without them, it doesn't look printable. So I duplicated it, rotated one 180 degrees and will have to glue them. Short(ish) two hour print.

Edit:

20190502_213210.jpg

YAAR!

Last edited:
💡 for you TB? Or not!

I've (briefly) looked into printing for other people but haven't really pursued it.

- - - - -

Pirate coin after a shot of gold paint. I'm rather pleased with it but might try printing one at .1 resolution instead of. 2.

20190503_063722.jpg

Serious question:

• Is it possible to 3D scan parts of an R/C that are as strong as the original R/C part?
I have this idea to buy a Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer 1:7 or pro scale and make a 1:3 copy of this car. The parts have to be as strong or even stronger as the original Traxxas UDR.

I have been thinking if I need a hobby CNC milling thing to make the parts from aluminium or can I use a very good 3D printer as well?

I have this idea to buy a Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer 1:7 or pro scale and make a 1:3 copy of this car.
In theory, a quality 3D scanner could do that. My huge reservation is that you're trying to make a copy that's roughly eight times (double width, double length and double height) larger than the original. The structure might be strong enough printed out of ABS but the original body is a much thinner, more flexible kind of plastic. I do t think PLA or ABS would be the right material.

That's before we even get into the servos and motors that would be required to make it operate.

Personally I wouldn't attempt it.

- - - - -

The idol still felt a little tacky yesterday so hopefully it will be dry enough this afternoon to give it its first shot of gold. :D

Massive change from how it looked when it first came off the printer. Great job. 👍
I hit it with a second coat and haven't even been downstairs to look at it yet. Pretty sure it should be dry by now!

- - - - -

Printed a couple of things this weekend - the Raptor claw from Jurassic Park then found a rock on Thingiverse, voided out part of it to accept the claw to use it as a display stand. I missed one thing in the process which is taking some retrofitting but looks like it should work. Pics later.

Also, my two minute search turned up nothing, which very much surprised me, so I'm working on designing my own from scratch. So far I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out. I'm sure it will go through a few adjustments before I toss it on Thingiverse but stay tuned for a SPACEBALLS - THE FLAME THROWER! :dopey:

Proportions are all wrong but here's my proof of concept first draft. For having never designed anything before, its going well.

jcz0U6z.png

May the Schwartz be with you.
I see your Schwartz is as big as mine.
TB
Pics later.
Claw in rock.

20190513_213209.jpg

Claw in hand (for scale). No word about how many in the bush this is.

20190513_213325.jpg

Regarding the flame thrower, I found a great looking grip but unfortunately I cant import it into AutoCAD. I might just have to print that grip separately then figure out how to attach it to my model. As it's hollow, a simple, round extension on the barrel to fit into the hole in the grip should do. Kind of wanted the entire thing all together. :irked:

I've been thinking about this grip most of the day, tried a few things to varying degrees of success and think I have a decent idea on how to get it in AutoCAD and looking decent. Now to actually get it drawn up.

Unfortunately between a bass lesson and a band concert, that might not happen tonight. Regardless, I've told myself that I can't print anything else until I get some finished. Including the shelves.

Back