My First Look at the Awesome RaceRoom Porsche 962

i think porsche killed group c. wasnt that there was no love, just no one had the money to find the love to keep the series going... porsche the race series killer

there is no substitution

i actually got to work on a replica 962 with a junior johnson (NASCAR) v8 in the middle of it(probably ONLY 900hp, down from the 1300+ the porsche race motor had)... when the motor started i would always jump cause its an explosion of noise... riding in the car was a weird experience as well, i never had laps in any sort of rage but a few shake down laps around the race shop had my palms so sweaty, touching the throttle at all produced massive wheel spin, ive never had the steering rack and front axle under my knees... feeling the suspension travel that far foward in a car was a new experience as well... that thing wants to do 200mph always and as much as those cars are awesome and i would love to see them truly race.... race cars are so much safer now, its incredible... you felt dangerous in the 962... oh hows times a change!

Last edited:
i actually got to work on a replica 962 with a junior johnson (NASCAR) v8 in the middle of it(probably ONLY 900hp, down from the 1300+ the porsche race motor had)..!

That's awesome... but didn't the 962s "only" run around 800bhp in race trim? I think the 917/30 was 1000bhp+ (anywhere between 1100 and 1500 depending on who you ask), and that killed everything. Bernie Ecclestone killed the series, as Endurance Racing wasn't what he wanted to see.

That's awesome... but didn't the 962s "only" run around 800bhp in race trim? I think the 917/30 was 1000bhp+ (anywhere between 1100 and 1500 depending on who you ask), and that killed everything. Bernie Ecclestone killed the series, as Endurance Racing wasn't what he wanted to see.

You’re probably right. I’m not into all those numbers like I used to be. And it makes sense if Bernie killed it. But Porsche spanking everyone every time they showed didn’t help.

I remember reading somewhere that Group C was more popular than F1 in the 80's, up until the Senna / Prost rivalry started.

Back