My Formula GT B-spec Experience

• Thread starter Alfaholic
  • 29 comments
Heya all.

I see b-speccing the FGT series has been covered in a few threads, but I have just about done it now (two races to go) and have found my experiences to be sometimes different from the norm, so I thought it best I share them.

CAR: Formula GT (grey / black)

Setup: I did not change the setup from what Bob was used to after running the car through both De La Sarthe enduros, since I find setup changes seem to upset him. This setup is not optimal for anything really, but was good enough. Everything, I think, is standard except ride height (55/55) gearing (auto 21 or so... not an effective ratio) rear toe -1. Wing is max front and back.

Bob has 7600 b-spec points, has done about 25000 miles (five times my own total) and has specs of something like 98/77/72.

I had a philosophy I followed in nearly all races:
At start of race, I would check the starting order. If the opposition with the most points were starting close to the front of the grid, I would run a practise lap. Regardless of where I qualified, the rest of the grid would now practically be upside down, so I could, at the start of each race, potentially ensure that my strongest opposition started the race at the back of the grid. They would then rarely make their way through the field. This meant that there was no single car giving a strong championship challenge.

I ran pace setting 4 or 5 at nearly all events, and found that he rarely fell off any circuit on 5, which surprised me. He did then run much faster than the rest, but his stints were the same length as the rest as long as I didn't fill the tank above 40. Only his first stint, on a full tank, was sometimes a lap shorter, but after two stints his lead was enough to pay for an extra pitstop anyway. I paid careful attention to make sure he never lost time when pitting by waiting for the OK button to be pressed or by overfilling the tank.

Here are the exceptions:

Race 2, Super Speedway: I qualified first and ran the first 2 stints to give him a lead, because I had not found a b-spec philosophy to guarantee a win for him in this race (too much slipstreaming). I found the car with the settings I used very tricky around the slower corner, especially when following another car (cool! it has less grip in turbulent air) and perversely found it best to go around both corner flat out, make no steering corrections in the bend, and not to countersteer when I had oversteer. I found the AI would pit long before me. I made my second pitstop on the same lap that they made their third, and I was 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap faster, so when I handed over to Bob he had a 2 lap lead. I ran him at pace 4 to the end and he did fine.

Race 4, High Speed Ring / Bowl / whatever: I found that on this race everyone slipstreams eachother, so the lead changes twice a lap. May as well pick the winner out of a hat. If you try improve Bob's chances by getting him out of the pack, he is two seconds per lap slower because the rest then have a slipstream advantage. BUT.. it's an easy track to drive and to be faster and stay out longer than the AI, so I racedthe first two stints and handed Bob the wheel with a 2 lap lead. When the AI caught up with him on the track, he joined the slipstream battle, but of course had a 2 lap advantage, so he was unlikely to be caught.

Race, um, 6: De La Sarthe: Bob was way down in 6th because he kept crashing on Mulsanne Straight, and the first straight around the back of the track. I put him from pace setting 4 to 3 and he crashed just as often but now no longer caught up the deficit around the rest of the lap. The others were crashing too but Bob was coming off worse. By half way he was in last place and a minute down. I had nothing to lose so I put him on pace 5. He crashed less ( :boggled: ) and finished in 2nd place, 4 seconds behind the winner. I'll try the whole race on pace 5 and expect he will win it.

UPDATE: After finishing the championship I did De La Sarthe on pace setting 5, and Bob started from 6th place. He won comfortably.

Seoul. I raced the first stint myself by accident.... I pressed the steering wheel icon instead of the headphones one :rolleyes: Fortunately I didn't stuff it into the wall too often and gave Bob a 21 second lead. On pace 4 he struggled but on pace 5 he extended his lead and again it did not hurt his pit strategy. I suspect to win this one he needs to start on pole and run on pace 5.

Laguna Seca. On pace 4 he was fast but crashed a lot before the pits. On pace 3 he was slow and crashed a lot before the pits. Everyone else crashed too but he was moping around in 4th and not gaining so, thinking back to De La Sarthe, I put him on pace 5. He soon had a 20 second lead but his crashes,though less frequent, were steadily getting more and more spectacular. I left him to it but when I came back he had only two stints to go, was in last place, and was crashing before the pits every lap (still on setting 5). I ran him for the last 20 laps or so on pace 5, dropping him to pace 1 as he came off the corkscrew, and bumped him up to 5 again as he entered the straight before the final hairpin. I did this every single lap. He caught up and won the race.

Twin Ring Motegi: He started in last place, ran on setting 5, and lapped everyone 👍

Nurburgring: I ran him on pace 3. He won because he fell off the circuit less than the rest and his tyre wear was less of a liablility on his pit in lap. On setting 4 he made lots of mistakes and had no advantage over the rest.

Two races to go, will report on them when done.

UPDATE:

Finished the last two races, with no surprises.

Fujji 2005: Did not qualify. Ran pace setting 5 at start, and Bob got up to 2nd place but could not get any closer than about 2.5 seconds to the leader - their laptimes were similar. I watched Bob circulating for a while and he was not showing any problem corners, so I reasoned that he was going to be fastest at setting 5. All cars pitted on lap 9, I did not fuel Bob. He ran 10 laps in the second stint, because of the lighter fuel load. This immedately meant he was going to have a pitstop in hand at the end, so if he kept the gap to the leader to 3 seconds, the race was in the bag... but then, all of a sudden Bobby picked up the pace. Not sure why, but he found an extra 2 seconds a lap, picked up the lead, and walked away from the others. He hasn't raced much at this circuit so perhaps there's a learning curve involved. I would suspect that if this is so his circuit knowledge rating improved, but I can't remember what it was before the race :(

Anyway once he had a half minute lead I put him on pace 4 to be on the safe side. He was still faster, and won easily.

Suzuka: Did not qualify. Put Bob on pace setting 5 and he picked up the lead on lap 3, then started building a small gap, but was showing a tendency to fall off the track at the chicane before the start / finish straight and this was preventing him from building the lead to a safe margin. I put him on pace setting 4 and his off track excursions vanished. As a bonus, his lap times improved. Won by about a lap.

End result was 14 wins and 1 second, giving 146 points, 4500000 credits and a car. The grid shuffling trick seemed to be effective too. Second place had 57 points, 6th place had 46 points, and if I had shuffled the grid by practicing for the last two races, it would have been an even smaller gap. As it was, the championship was won at race 10, where I had 96 points and second place had 45.

TeamWilliams F1
:sly: proud member of the sauber c9 club!! :sly:

put this in ur signature when ur done if you win

As long as it's not the Sauber C9 FAN club, since it doesn't have any fans :P

Anyway since I b-specced 98% of it, I don't really feel like I've earned the badge, but I'll tell Bob so he can paint it on the side of his Formula GT car (8900 miles on it now and I've probably done about 60 of those, so it's his) and I'll let him drive my new silver toy once or twice too!

Mr.Slow
Nice write-up!

I am 4 races into this series and wondering if I should switch to b-spec. It is too easy to win.

I would recommend it. I can see why so many people on the forum try it in the Audi R8. You can probably clear it, with all golds, in under ten hours, from where you currently are, if you b-spec it to the end. Collect the credits and the cars, avoid racing on any circuits you don't like, then go back and single race the events you want to if you feel so inclined. It's not a competitive championship unfortunately. Or you could try making it more competitive by changing your gearing so you max out at about 195mph like the AI racers, and run with little or no wing so you find it harder to keep up in the corners. That may make it more fun.

I tried race 5 with 25 units of ballast. Still won by 2.5 laps but it was harder to overtake (as in harder than before but not really hard)

I may switch to Bspec as my vacation ends this weekend and I wanna get as far as I can % wise before going back to work...

To be honest when I am driving the Formula GT races, all I get is a desire to dig out my Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series and race against 20 opponents that can give me a run for my money instead of racing against 5 mobile chicanes. But then, Grand Prix is a dedicated F1 race sim, GT4 is not. So, if I want to race F1, I fire up the PC. If I want to win a Sauber C9 and 4500000 credits to finance a huge garage full of exotic machinery, I b-spec on the PS2:)

**Mild Race Prize Spoiler**

Nice write-up, it was a good read.

I intend to do the entire championship on A-Spec because it's just so good to do. But, if I'm gonna A-Spec it I'll need an F1 car because I hate my Minolta 88C-V after all this time racing it. That means Bob will be taking the triumph of the twenty-four hour race situated in that little-known circuit in Nurburg :lol:

Then again, I may do Le Mans to win the Audi R8 because I just love that car after having done it's mission (I might add that the R8 won the real-life Le Mans this year!) and do the F1 championship in that... It depends on which race I'd rather do myself and which Bob can have, so looks like he'll take the Nurburgring to get me my F1 car.

Kind of annoying, is it not, that after the championship of full endurance races all you win is the Sauber C9. I could buy that if I wanted to! IF I wanted to! But I suppose, if they swapped the prizes between Nurburgring 24 and F1C, then you wouldn't be able to do the F1C in an F1 car, which is kinda self-contradictory. Another useless paragraph from the keyboard of Dark Elite.

I let Bob start on race 6 (Sarthe I) and at the first pit stop he was 40 seconds behind (hit the muslanne wall every lap). That was weird since he had done brillantly at Sarthe I enduro on the exact same car... I took over and it didn't help much at the beginning since I was used to riding the chichanes and the F1 car just doesn't like that. I must have spent 2+ minutes in the sand traps. I changed my lines and was able to win by 2minutes 40 seconds.

I then let bob try again at Cote D'Azur and he won easily lapping 2nd place on the last lap. Not a crushing victory like I would do but then again all I had to do was make sure the speed was set at 3X! :-)

Mr.Slow
I let Bob start on race 6 (Sarthe I) and at the first pit stop he was 40 seconds behind (hit the muslanne wall every lap). That was weird since he had done brillantly at Sarthe I enduro on the exact same car... I took over and it didn't help much at the beginning since I was used to riding the chichanes and the F1 car just doesn't like that. I must have spent 2+ minutes in the sand traps. I changed my lines and was able to win by 2minutes 40 seconds.

I then let bob try again at Cote D'Azur and he won easily lapping 2nd place on the last lap. Not a crushing victory like I would do but then again all I had to do was make sure the speed was set at 3X! :-)

That's what was happening to my Bob on pace 4 or 3 at la sarthe. It's the well known Le Sarthe bug - he hears the phrase "wall riding" somewhere and is dead keen to try it but doesn't seem to understand that it does not work on straights :rolleyes: There is a thread about how to solve this somewhere, but it doesn help once you are in the race and coming last, and the last thing I thought off was to make him drive faster.... but, I put him on 5 and he crashed less :boggled: Plus, he also kept it on the track everywhere else and was the fastest car on the track. Really funky.

i a-specced Super speedway and parts of seoul and High speed ring. he mucked up on lap 50 something at high speed ring, so i took over and slowly but surely regained positions. took me until lap 60 somthing to catch the others, and 2 laps to see them in my wing mirror. other than that i b-specced the lot out of boredom and wanting the C9 (which is a blindingly good car. it whupps my Formula GT and TUNED, YES TUNED 88C all over the place. i loves it

Well, the 'boogieman' race came and went, and I rather forget it!!

I didn't bother to chane the ride height and totally messed up. Bob was not much better as he just managed to keep the pace. The humiliating defeat though is all of my making, Bob was just an innocent bystander ;-)

Best lap was 5:50 which is only 5 seconds faster than the race leader and does not make up for pitting every lap. The one time I didn't pit I lost more time limping to the pits that if I had pitted.... Finished 5th 4 minutes behid. Well, it was more like 2 minutes at the beginning of the last lap but P6 was 5 minutes behind so I decided to do the last lap without braking... just to let off some steam and watch the car spin around at every corner :-)

I guess there is a challenge for me on this series after all. I shall come back and beat it with 200 f#$#@#!!ing units of ballast I SWEAR!!

P.D. Sometimes it is good to eat humble pie... even if it don't taste good :-(

it's wierd how my B-spec had the same points as yours but performed a lot better and won every race by about a lap although i did help out but he was still lapping about 2 seconds a lap faster on setting 4

Teamy
it's wierd how my B-spec had the same points as yours but performed a lot better and won every race by about a lap although i did help out but he was still lapping about 2 seconds a lap faster on setting 4

Even if you helped for one single set of tires it makes a huge difference. The B-spec driver someties struggles to overtake P2 and P3 but if you overtake them for him he'll run away and most certainly add another lap to the margin of victory.

Teamy

May be down to the car setup, if his experience is the same. I ran max wing everywhere, didn't adjust the gearing (which is at a terrible setting that makes 7th gear useless) and didn't make the suspension harder or softer to suit the track. I think the springs and dampers are probably still standard on mine. I think I raised the suspension a month or two ago before Bob took the car out to do the Le Sarthe 24 hour races, but I am not sure. The only change I know I made was to reduce rear toe from -6 to -1, after reading on this forum that this improves rear tyre wear (and it did!).

So the car certainly wasn't optimised for the track. But I find my Bob tends to slow down when I fiddle rather than speed up, probably because I don't know what I am doing, so I stuck to what he's familiar with. Now I'm off to a-spec the famous Speedster events in a max'd orange Speedster :)

Finally finished the series. 142/150 thanks to the disaster at the ring.... I just entered that race again and left bob alone on 3 to see what happens. Hopefully he'll finish better than 5th

Mr.Slow
Finally finished the series. 142/150 thanks to the disaster at the ring.... I just entered that race again and left bob alone on 3 to see what happens. Hopefully he'll finish better than 5th

So how did he do? Just finished the Speedster races (200 a-spec points each once I took the turbo off) and they were still a bit too easy because my car was much faster in the corners. Probably had something to do with the RS tyres :D

Then went and golded the 2 Alpine races that I had not managed to the first time. They were like 13 points and harder than the Speedster ones :boggled: and finally cruised through the Clio cup.... well, when I say "cruised", I mean won the first two races then got my butt kicked in the last three, and won by 4 points :scared:

Now I just went back in my prize Clio race car to clean up those three races. Alarmingly, the race is like 83 points in the race car compared to the 116 I was offered in Clio V6 MK2, and yet I can't even get close to the fast guys!

I don't geddit......

He did better and worse at the same time!
Worse because he finished 6th
Better because he was behind by 35 seconds compared to 4 minutes!
Will try again but on setting 4 to see how he goes. If that doesn't work I'll have to learn to drive and do it myself! :-)

Yeah, the apline 130 1600 has got a wondering rear end that was a pain in the butt to deal with. I ended up doing the races with Turbo 1 and Weight Reduction 1 for a 'tantalizing' 19 points per race. But the biggest factor was qualifying on pole for each race. I couldn't win most of the races if i didn't qualify (Not qualifying always gave races in the 30 to 50 point range)

I haven't started on most of the manufacturer races since as I am holding off on buying cars until absolutely necessary.

It may be. With the stock settings the F1 is a handful on the ring as it keeps bouncing off the bumps on the road and it looses traction if you hit the strips. Something with more tolerance of those things (like an LMP car) may be faster.

Mr. Slow - here's my detailed FGT 'ring b-spec suggestion - first raise it all the way to max ride height - then soften everything all round. Then set your gears so that first is as short as you can make it (stops bob changing down unnecessarily), second and third are as tall as possible - gives best drive out of corners with fewest changes - then the other gears as even as possible (ie a flat line for their starting rev range) with 7th topping out at around 310.

Now onto managing bob - first as you would have noticed 2 laps is not worth it - so bring him in after every lap. Secondly run him at 5 on blues, then 4 for most of the lap - then at 3 or even 2 for the top right hand bit of the map (sorry i don't know the name of every corner...) where he tends to struggle to stay on the track. then back up to 4 once he gets to a few corners before the straight.

Alfaholic
That's what was happening to my Bob on pace 4 or 3 at la sarthe. It's the well known Le Sarthe bug - he hears the phrase "wall riding" somewhere and is dead keen to try it but doesn't seem to understand that it does not work on straights :rolleyes: There is a thread about how to solve this somewhere, but it doesn help once you are in the race and coming last, and the last thing I thought off was to make him drive faster.... but, I put him on 5 and he crashed less :boggled: Plus, he also kept it on the track everywhere else and was the fastest car on the track. Really funky.
Well Bob did the Sarth Enduro and i won on pace 3 without hitting the walls on the massive back strech:sly:

BlueRoyal
Can somebody please give me some settings for the F1 on the oval(2nd race)?
Stop posting the same question in the wrong threads/forums.

You need settings for a formula GT, correct?

Then do a search for formula GT settings. DO NOT post again until you have found them. There are settings for the Formula GT in the GT4 settings thread. You will not find settings in a race reports thread. You will not find settings for a formula GT in a rally car thread. You will not find settings for a GT4 car in the GT3 forum.

You are currently spamming the forums with off topic posts. You have asked 4 times for formula GT settings, all of which have been in the wrong forum. You have asked twice where you win the Sauber C9 (game guides > GT4 > Prize car lists), both occasions in a thread about the Formula GT championship. Please only post once you have searched and only post in the correct forums/threads. If you continue to post off-topic, we shall be forced to give you a warning.

It seemed like I gained most of my time on several of the harder tracks by using pit strategy. I've been A and B-specing all the tracks, racing some and letting bob do some, and the only one I seemed to just be destroyed on was Azur, finished 4th I think it was. The car just seemed so much slower than the opponents on that track for some reason...maybe experience for bob?

I still have both Laguna Seca and the Ring to endure, and I don't know what strategy I'll use on those, if I have to. The races aren't hard, but they do get pretty boring.

Back