My views on GT4 drifting, and why power isn't that great

• Thread starter Tulok
  • 18 comments
here are my views on GT4 drifting, since i don't do it in real life, I cant saw anything really compared.
Elements of car control:
...In Gran Turismo 4, there is a large amount of "wiggle room" of steering input, in the rel world, if you counter-steer late, you will inevitably snap back while exiting the corner, in GT4, there is enough lag in the physics that you barely have to counter at all O_o...
...In Gran Turismo 4, the throttle inputs aren't nearly as important as in real life, as the tires will spin more, due to the badly(IMO) designed traction system... there is enough wheel-spin to have a stock civic break traction on a dyno :sly: We have to compensate with more power, and this is what my main idea was for.
In the real world, people don't lay on power, like we do in GT, it takes time, skill, and effort to produce good skill, and obtain a more suited car. A great feature that I think PD should have never dropped was the "drift" auto setting, a great setting that used the basic power of a stock car, to propel it slideways around a track. The settings made the car more "rolley" and made it possible to use inertia, like Takumi in Shuichi Shigeno's Initial D's Trueno, to drift. A recent recap with GT1, and Blitz_69's stock car legion led me to realize that my ultra powered cars were really a waste of time, and I should work with less power, and more setup/skill.

That is all.👍

In my view, I think that GT4 has too much understeer as in drifting wise. but hey what do I know?
And the video was made by Wolfe

Yup, power in drifting is not all that good of a thing. All you need is the wheel spin to maintain the drift. 'Stock' cars seem to have a good balence to the motor IMO.

Shout out to TULOK!!!!!

power can help you make longer drifts, but too much is always bad. ~400hp is plenty.
blah at the video. couldnt read half of the things they typed due to color or duration of the text.
looks like an inexperienced driver to me. yeah, you cant do donuts in the game. so what? you wont be able to do a donut with any car with an open diff which is what that mustang had, no matter how much power you have.
is gt4 flawed? of course. every game is. but that doesnt mean you cant enjoy it for what it is.

I'd love to bring up a very important point which contributes to snap back. Caster. With caster on real cars when the car begins to come back inline the wheel will self straighten. GT4 DOES NOT take this into account. The reason your snapping back is because you are waiting to see the car react but in actuality you should have started counter steering way before. If your a real life drifter you would know this.

, in GT4, there is enough lag in the physics that you barely have to counter at all O_o...
A great feature that I think PD should have never dropped was the "drift" auto setting, a great setting that used the basic power of a stock car, to propel it slideways around a track. The settings made the car more "rolley" and made it possible to use inertia, like Takumi in Shuichi Shigeno's Initial D's Trueno, to drift. :

Barely have to counter????Are you using a wheel or DS2???:scared:

I agree about what you said about the throttle I mean yea it's off compared to real-life physics :guilty: but not bad considering it's a game:tup: , but I guess everyone just makes up with thier steering, I still find the game really really really fun.

I disagree with the autodrift setting, I mean it would'nt let you turn off the AIDS which I hated:grumpy: , which meant you didn't really drift you kinda just powerslided around and the cars TCS would kick in and slow you down if you attempted to drift.

About the "understeer" part of the clip, it's probably becasue you have stiff settings... Have you seen the Lancer drift in Fast and the Furious? Now have you tried drifitng the same Lancer Model in GT? it's like impossible without setting the car with extremely "low" methods.

the lancer is TFATF is rwd, you cant make any awd or 4wd car in the game rwd.
and yes, it would be useful if the game would simulate caster, but it reacts the same as if someone had no caster at all. so the wheel is difficult to turn and doesn't self center. which means you have to muscle it and throw it around.

Well, in the video is the Creator's opinions, and his favorite Simulation game is Enthusia. Suzuki, Forza simulates Caster but eh... I think that PD could do better with GT4 and its physics. but anyways, the overall technique that is most likely used in GT is Feint so no power is involved. You can drift a Cappo with DS2 or Wheel. You just need to feint it.

depending on what your drifting power can be a good thing. I drift all my 4wd's with around 450hp, but depending on certain cases, like wagons, ill increase it to the 475-500 range.

I don't FR drift so for that, i don't know.

you guys just cant handle the power :P, jk

Well, in the video is the Creator's opinions, and his favorite Simulation game is Enthusia. Suzuki, Forza simulates Caster but eh... I think that PD could do better with GT4 and its physics. but anyways, the overall technique that is most likely used in GT is Feint so no power is involved. You can drift a Cappo with DS2 or Wheel. You just need to feint it.

then can someone show me a stock cappo with some type of lsd successfully drift the really large double apex( the corner after the downhill left, to the right that is blocked off by the cones )at infineon sports car course? or even the double at deep forest. or even one of the super speedway turns. prove to me you dont need power to do those turns and i will stick my foot in my mouth.

Power does matter, but, IT doesnt matter enough. POwer in gt4 is more wheelspin, so you really dont push around the corner that much better.

I think that video by Wolfe is off, I mean that was really poor driving. Trying to drive a GT4 car like in real-life, obviously the physics are off so, everything he wanted to do but said he couldn't was possible to do (except do a doughnut, and spin out on grass) I mean of course you can over-correct your-self... thats called bad driving, not physics, there is a way to counter drifts properly. Obviously when your going faster than you should be on Nur. trying to take narrow turns you will lock up the car.

My Opinion

then can someone show me a stock cappo with some type of lsd successfully drift the really large double apex( the corner after the downhill left, to the right that is blocked off by the cones )at infineon sports car course? or even the double at deep forest. or even one of the super speedway turns. prove to me you dont need power to do those turns and i will stick my foot in my mouth.

Well, thats what I believe but I might take that challenge. But where I saw a Cappo was one of these videos

but I may be wrong, this person slammed a STi just to make a drift video and make fun of me and the project. I have never seen him since.

There's a lot of understeer in the game. I don't say is impossible to drift, at least not for me, but I say it would be more real that the throttle caused a bigger impact when drifting.

Back