Nürburgring: side by side footage (real life/GT4)

• Thread starter valli
  • 58 comments
I posted this on a ring thread but I don't think it's been posted before. It's a side by side clip of 4 minutes at Nürburgring, real life footage of a RUF Porsche and footage from the BMW demo, done by me a few months ago:

https://www.gtplanet.net/index.php?categoryid=31&p13_fileid=179

I time-stretched the BMW video so both cars hit the curves at the same time, very impressive IMO. You have to remember there's a camera position difference in the clips and more important, the field of view is different too.

valli
I posted this on a ring thread but I don't think it's been posted before. It's a side by side clip of 4 minutes at Nürburgring, real life footage of a RUF Porsche and footage from the BMW demo, done by me a few months ago:

http://aefc.mine.nu/gt/nurburgring_rl_gt4.wmv
http://aefc.mine.nu/gt/nurburgring_rl_gt4.mov
(WMV and QT, files are 25MB each)

I time-stretched the BMW video so both cars hit the curves at the same time, very impressive IMO. You have to remember there's a camera position difference in the clips and more important, the field of view is different too.

Is it possible to host the video(s) here at GTP, Egghead and co.? I don't know how much longer I can host it at the current address, a few months tops.

The video on the left can be found at www.racingflix.com for those of you who want the original version. It's the test driver for RUF nicknamed "Dr. Drift" for obvious reasons. :) Great video BTW and congrats to PD for getting the track so close to real life for those of us who don't live in Germany.

Very sweet, valli, I will be adding this to GTP here soon (whew...I've got a lot of updating to do!!!). :)

Jordan, it would be great if you could host it here! My friend that hosts the files now got a bit worried about all the sudden traffic, no probs though! :)

sUn
Pretty good video, I didn't hear any tire sounds from the BMW though. :(

All sound is coming from the RUF video, speeding up the sound from the BMW would have sounded a bit too funny for my taste! :crazy:

Wow. Double-wow.

Thanks for posting this, Valli. It's amazing.

I would think that any race driver who actually competes on the 'Ring would have to get himself a PS/2 and a good wheel setup, buy GT4, and spend many, many hours learning the track. There is no question now about how realistically they've reproduced the real course.

The file is now available in our GT4 Video downloads section here on GTP! :) Thanks again, valli - excellent work!

Its a cool video but how does a bmw 120i (0-60 in 8.7 secs) compare to a Porche Ruf being driven bascically to its limits and taking better lines (with the occasional slower drift) have about the same laptime.

newbielives
Its a cool video but how does a bmw 120i (0-60 in 8.7 secs) compare to a Porche Ruf being driven bascically to its limits and taking better lines (with the occasional slower drift) have about the same laptime.

Read what he said in his initial post. He edited the speed of the video to match his speed in the RUF.

meh, i've done a side by side comparassion with out any timelapse with a subaru wrx STi Spec C and the R34 of the TGS demo, we stay neck and neck right untill the end, but as i got better i actually left him behind in other laps. but it looks pretty much identical if you are at about 8:05.xxx

So this 0-60 in 8.7 secs BMW is even faster then the Porche Ruf by that much?

I guess what I am getting at is that I thought GT4 was so real that it was only a few seconds of for real life tracks but I guess not.

Aww now that was soothing, maybe my wait for GT4 wont hurt so much now.

Zardoz
Read what he said in his initial post. He edited the speed of the video to match his speed in the RUF.

newbielives
So this 0-60 in 8.7 secs BMW is even faster then the Porche Ruf by that much?

I guess what I am getting at is that I thought GT4 was so real that it was only a few seconds of for real life tracks but I guess not.

Aww now that was soothing, maybe my wait for GT4 wont hurt so much now.

He sped up the GT4 video so that both the game and the real car would hit the same curves at the same time, what's so hard to understand?

He time stretched the BMW vid so it would take up more time? what so hard to understand?

PunkRock
He sped up the GT4 video so that both the game and the real car would hit the same curves at the same time, what's so hard to understand?

Great vid, I envy the guy driving the porsche, gotta get me a 911 and try that one day. Love the way it syncs too. Makes the game seem pretty lame and fake looking though lol, roll on photo realism XD.

Tsk I notice PD seem to have got some of those trees wrong eh, tsk, and I thought they were talented. ;).

Back