NASCAR Driver Rage-Quits Esports Event, Loses Real World Sponsor

Last year at the Watkins Glen race Wallace was running a lap down & attempted to take out Kyle Busch who was contending for a win. Earlier in the race Busch shouldered Wallace out of the way while he was on newer tires after being held up by Wallace who hadn’t pitted and was now being caught by drivers that had pitted. Busch had no intention of ruining Wallace’s race, just used a little bump to get through. Meanwhile Wallace tried to dump Busch while floundering a lap down also while he was one of the slowest in each session all weekend. He’s a disgrace to the 43 car.

That said, if they were seriously going to terminate their relationship over this(which it seems might indicate it wasn't the first problem) I'm not sure that doing it via snarky twitter posts is the most professionally appropriate manner to do so either.

And this is honestly the part that makes it really difficult for me to sympathize with Blue Emu. While Bubba was being unprofessional, both on stream and on Twitter, there's certain ways to deal with that. Termination via memes, and the VP of the company comparing his ex-driver to a raging 13-year-old, who, given the timeline of everything, was probably raging himself, makes it difficult for me to see Blue-Emu as the stronger man, per se. They should've just waited, let heads cool off, talk to The King and/or Bubba, and issued a press release later on.

Also, I think this raises another issue; drivers, teams, and especially sponsors need to truly take a look at both themselves and these events and think about how seriously do they really want these events taken? I mean, we have Bubba quitting out after being wrecked, Matty D tweeting about racing in his underwear, Timmy Hill beating his competitors with a super-basic setup while Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin are running state-of-the-art rigs, banter between the drivers and the commentary team more-or-less screwing around, with another commentator actively racing. The first race was a riot because almost nobody was taking it seriously, since most people had no idea how to handle things. Yes, a certain level of professionalism is necessary considering real world companies, and very real money is being spent on this, but taking these events too seriously will kill the fun. These events aren't really proper NASCAR events. They're fun, small races being held primarily for entertainment until the world calms down.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Russ Petersen
Exactly not. This "idea" makes and made motorsports a not so much hardcore sport. When i look to the current online or even real life motorsports scene, when i look what commentators hype, what the "mass" hypes, i alwys have a "wtf" face on me.
The hardcore motorsports fans, atleast the F1 ones from 20 years ago, we laughed about everything which is hyped today. Its not about racing anymore exactly like you described but thats not a positive thing, thats actually hurting the sport in general.

Key point. "Used to be". I used to live in a world without Covid-19 spreading everywhere but does not change my current reality. Motorsports used to be: a lot cheaper, less safe (one of the reasons it was cheaper), way less tech heavy (again a reason it was cheaper), were less reliant on sponsors and sponsors probably were less concerned about the driver behaviour, etc... Maybe, possibly you can manage to get some return to the old days through cost limits but it's not the current reality for the major series including Nascar and this dude has to either figure that out or go home. Honestly the costs and sponsorships might eventually be the death of most real-life motorsports rather than it fixing itself. Right now though it's all about the money that can be brought in through sponsors like it or not and the team has to be constantly considering that in everything they do like any business.

I'm not defending the sponsor here, just stating the obvious realities of what motorsports is today.

Key point. "Used to be". I used to live in a world without Covid-19 spreading everywhere but does not change my current reality. Motorsports used to be: a lot cheaper, less safe (one of the reasons it was cheaper), way less tech heavy (again a reason it was cheaper), were less reliant on sponsors and sponsors probably were less concerned about the driver behaviour, etc... Maybe, possibly you can manage to get some return to the old days through cost limits but it's not the current reality for the major series including Nascar and this dude has to either figure that out or go home. Honestly the costs and sponsorships might eventually be the death of most real-life motorsports rather than it fixing itself. Right now though it's all about the money that can be brought in through sponsors like it or not and the team has to be constantly considering that in everything they do like any business.

I'm not defending the sponsor here, just stating the obvious realities of what motorsports is today.

Ofcourse these things changed which is quite normal but your connection is not really right in my opinion. Motorsport was always expensive and it still is, but the reason sponsors entering is a different one. This actually applies to nearly every field. If the viewerbase is high, sponsors will enter, not because F1 or Nascar or whatever really need the money, its just the cherry on top. Even esports like Counter Strike is fulled with sponsors now, i watched CS esports 20 years ago aswell.... These sports literally sell their souls to get MORE money. Its not there to stay alive, its there to raise the profit margin if you want to say like this.

Like i mentioned, dont know much about this dude or what he did but watching online races or listening to commentators clearly signs to a more "casual" experience. This, again, applies to nearly all fields. I ltierally stopped watching DTM in my native language because the commentator made it impossible to listen. Everything is aimed for the mass to get more viewers but series like F1 or Nascar over there are top of the notch in their own field. F1 Teams actually want to spend more money but its not allowed by the rules. Back then, F1 already had the best tech and was always top notch. Now, because of regulations, its not. The development really slowed down and teams are trying to improve elsewhere.. A bit off topic maybe but i essentially want to say that sponsors (in most cases) are needed to stay alive, its just to make more money and nearly all fields are aiming to more casual viewers which destroys the field in its core.

No, it shows that E-Sports is just as reputable and deserving of respect as real sports.
You're putting iRacing/ video games on way too high of a pedestal. This was supposed to be designed as a fun event so people have something to watch during these times. This sentiment is just going to push drivers away from continuing to do this stuff.

I'm not a Nascar fan (this thread partially highlights the reason why), but looking at Blue Emu's Twitter account, it looks like they did more damage to themselves and Nascar than Bubbas Rage quit did.

Edit: It also looks like they took this as an opportunity to promote their website. Not really a good look for any business.

You're putting iRacing/ video games on way too high of a pedestal. This was supposed to be designed as a fun event so people have something to watch during these times. This sentiment is just going to push drivers away from continuing to do this stuff.

I'm not a Nascar fan (this thread partially highlights the reason why), but looking at Blue Emu's Twitter account, it looks like they did more damage to themselves and Nascar than Bubbas Rage quit did.
Edit: And you're not putting them on a high enough pedestal.

By that nature, we might as well do the rest of these Esports events in Wreckfest then? I mean if people are just gonna constantly wreck each other then what's the point? Ever heard of taking something seriously?

Last edited:
By that nature, we might as well do the rest of these Esports events in Wreckfest then? I mean if people are just gonna constantly wreck each other then what's the point? Ever heard of taking something seriously?
I don't understand how we got here, I thought this was about rage quitting. I don't know how Wreckfest makes this any better. But if a bunch of racing drivers got together and wanted to do a Wreckfest stream, I'm sure tonnes of people would watch.

And no, I don't take video games seriously, because they're video games? Like should I put my game face on when I'm playing The Sims? This all seems a little ridiculous.

It's not just about rage quitting. It's also about his driving behavior on track. In the virtual AND real world. You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

It's fine for you to not take games seriously, but to be ignorant of the fact that there are others out there that do, and to the point of money being involved is just wrong.

Granted the fun aspect is certainly a part of it, but it's also a chance for the series to keep the drivers, teams and sponsors in people's minds. In that regard these races really aren't all that different than when they are doing real life races.

This is also why you see bigger names getting into races automatically while lesser known drivers have to fight for a place.

Dunno, those counter arguments to a clear bad sport behaving from a professional driver.

A lot of motorsport fans are into video games, that simulates their favorite discipline, what they have to do now, when for years fighting for clean races and fair competition, a professional driver just shows everyone that is ok to do so wrong, and if no one would react. It is a racing simulator game, its fun is to be a realistic experience.

Getting mad at a video games is normal it's not real life.
You do know those video games you play exist in the real world right? You do know that you're in the real world right? This is a dangerous train of thought to go down.

I'd have accepted your response if you were under 18 or something, but dude. You need to grow up a little bit. Saying something isn't real life is a really bad defensive argument. Saying "it's not real life" speaks volumes about you.

Last edited:
To everybody that says its just a video games its not serious, Fair enough if it was you and your body messing about. But it was a competitions like many competitions we kinda expect a certain level of professionalism from the competitors specially in a setting like Nascar Pro Invitational series witch is streaming to millions in Live TV with Promoter and sponsors involve

Edit: And you're not putting them on a high enough pedestal.

For the general fan, all they're watching is seeing their favorite driver(s) play a video game to pass time. The minute drivers, sponsors, etc. start treating each race like the Daytona 500 is the minute that a whole bunch of drivers and fans start tuning out.

Firstly, I would watch the hell out of "professional" Wreckfest, especially if the field was mostly/all pro drivers. I feel like it'd be a great watch with a bunch of the top dirt-track drivers involved.

Secondly, as I mentioned before, these eNASCAR races were absolutely not intended to be taken that seriously. Check the drivers Twitter accounts leading up to Miami and Texas for proof. There is (well, was) nothing on the line for these drivers; no points, no prize pool, no spectator seats being sold, no nothing. It's straight-up just a bunch of guys coming together, many of whom are sharing a voice channel, just having a good time entertaining some fans. This is not nearly the same level of competition of something like GT Academy, the FIA GT Sport races, or even something like CoD World League.

It's not just about rage quitting. It's also about his driving behavior on track. In the virtual AND real world. You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

So riddle me this,...

Bubba wrecked out, through no fault of his own, because Bowyer got up into him. A common complaint amongst fans during the weekend was the fact that Bowyer caused a couple wrecks and seemingly did not care, as well as the high number of wrecks in general. Clint even blamed Bubba for his wreck. In a real event, that kind of wreck would've sent Bubba to the garage at minimum, effectively ending his race before it even really got going.

So, Clint can cause a couple wrecks and nobody cares, yet when Bubba (understandably) gets frustrated and peaces out, he's the bad guy? It kinda seems like Bubba's being held to a different standard than his fellow drivers imo.

It's fine for you to not take games seriously, but to be ignorant of the fact that there are others out there that do, and to the point of money being involved is just wrong.

Again, this isn't GT Academy, FIA GT Sport races or the like. These are top-level, fully established stock car drivers taking part. They're not hurting for cash and/or recognition, and they're not getting much of anything in return. This is primarily for fun, and this series will more than likely immediately be killed off the moment it's safe to have proper races again. Taking things too seriously will kill this series for a lot of people.

In other news, Blue Emu has been taking full advantage of this situation by promoting themselves to a whole bunch of people on Twitter, while also occasionally continuing to trash-talk Bubba. Is it me, or does that in itself seem pretty scummy and unprofessional?

Compared to how the open-wheel and GT3 world is handling this new online frontier, NASCAR continues to be a joke even in the virtual world. That's what I'm learning from this.

Take a look at the Formula 1 stuff or VLN, or Blancpain/SRO, etc. It's being taken seriously and they have a bigger following than NASCAR when it comes to stream viewers. Looks like taking it seriously actually pays off

Compared to how the open-wheel and GT3 world is handling this new online frontier, NASCAR continues to be a joke even in the virtual world. That's what I'm learning from this.

Take a look at the Formula 1 stuff or VLN, or Blancpain/SRO, etc. It's being taken seriously and they have a bigger following than NASCAR when it comes to stream viewers. Looks like taking it seriously actually pays off
How do you figure? Are any of them also doing live TV broadcasts?

How do you figure? Are any of them also doing live TV broadcasts?
Yes. Formula 1 NotGP was on ESPN2 and SkySports yesterday. I'm not in Europe but can anyone from over there confirm if VLN stuff was on live TV as well?

You can also combine the total amount of viewers from each driver's stream which I don't think as many NASCAR drivers are doing that. Charles LeClerc and Lando Norris both had 30,000+ people watching. Then the amount watching the official YouTube channel, the Twitch channel broadcasting the same thing, and live TV ratings as well.

Soo they rage fired someone who was playing a video game. I have watched these races and I have no idea who I’m watching on any of the cars I didn’t even realize they were using their sponsors. Like. This isn’t real? This is almost like an exhibition of an exhibition.... never gonna get emu products, they’re more immature than their driver. That will show em!

I'd like to point out that some NASCAR drivers rage quit real life races and did not lose their sponsorship...
Well, yes, but generally speaking, drivers who rage-quit physical races do so because they feel their lives are in genuine danger from other driver's 🤬 driving. Drivers who rage-quit video games are simply throwing a tantrum because they feel their digital avatar isn't being properly respected.

Was there really anything on the line for this race?
Sponsorship, apparently.

How does a sponsor expect to be taken seriously when they're sending memes to terminate contacts? Wouldn't be surprised if they were going through some financial issues and we're looking for an out.
I honestly doubt he was fired by meme. It's very likely they consulted their lawyer, made sure they had the authority in their contract to fire the driver, then contacted the driver and/or the driver's agent and let them know they were fired. We only see the meme after the firing has been done.

^Even still, the fact that the ex-sponsor decided to go onto Twitter to communicate said firing using memes and light trash-talk is just as, if not arguably much more immature than anything Bubba did on Sunday (not saying that what Bubba did wasn't unprofessional).

Like, these people (ideally) want me to buy their product, yet this is how they market themselves? Jeesh.

I think ideally for a big marker sponsor like that they don't care if the regular Joe Schmoe buys it. They're about the bigger picture in terms of bulk sales and what not. That kinda thing. Sure, it helps for the regular guy to buy it on a regular basis but realistically that's not where their big money comes from.

That wouldn't be hard, as NASCAR has no stream to follow.

It does have a live TV broadcast though, which pulled in 1.3m viewers last weekend - or about 8.5 times more than the official F1 stream at the weekend.

That wouldn't be hard, as NASCAR has no stream to follow.

It does have a live TV broadcast though, which pulled in 1.3m viewers last weekend - or about 8.5 times more than the official F1 stream at the weekend.
Interesting, to say the least. Lowest common denominator never fails

Back