• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 272 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
National. Basketball. Association. Welcome to 2018-2019 of the NBA! Want to be the best team? Beat Golden State. After Golden State's sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers this past season in the NBA Finals, they once again have proven to be the best (or at least the luckiest) team after being tested last year by my Houston Rockets.

Some people seem to be done with the NBA with the dominance of the Golden State Warriors. Some even looking at Golden State almost like the NBA's version of the NFL's New England Patriots. Could an eventful and unpredictable season be in order to maybe get certain disappointed NBA fans back into the NBA? Who will become champions this season? We shall find out!

This is the thread for the 2018-2019 season. Everything from the NBA Draft to the final NBA Finals game is fair game to discuss. So you want to get this thread started before the tip-off of any games this season? Then... GO!

[UPDATE]
In case you want a reminder of how each team will come into this 2018-2019 NBA season, here is a look at how the regular season ended last season:

(BOLD Teams = 2017-2018 Playoff teams)

---EASTERN CONFERENCE: Final Standings (2017-2018 Season) ---
ATLANTIC: Toronto (59-23), BOS (56-27), PHI (52-30), NY (29-53), BKN (28-54)
CENTRAL: Cleveland (50-32), IND (48-34), MIL (44-38), DET (39-43), CHI (27-44)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (44-38), WAS (43-39), CHA (36-46), ORL (25-57), ATL (24-58)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE: Final Standings (2017-2018 Season) ---
PACIFIC: Golden State (58-24), LAC (42-40), LAL (35-47), SAC (27-44), PHX (21-61)
SOUTHWEST: Houston (65-17), NO (48-37), SA (47-35), DAL (24-58), MEM (22-60)
NORTHWEST: Portland (49-33), OKC and UTA (48-34 each), MIN (47-35), DEN (46-36)

So this is something to look on as we get ready for the 2018-2019 season.

Last edited:
HEADS UP!

Tonight is the NBA Draft. We'll see which players go where. It will be interesting to see where the new crop of talent will end up and hopefully make their respective teams better. It's going on right now on ESPN, so that's why I gave the "heads up."

Reportedly... LeBron James decided to take his talent to... the Los Angeles Lakers. If the Lakers aren't already a glamour pool, LeBron just cannonballed into that pool by leaving Cleveland for Los Angeles. So that means he'll provide a spark for the Los Angeles Lakers (no pun intended in regards to the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks).

Laker LeBron. Thoughts?

Someone's getting traded to bring LeBron another All-Star. I'm betting LA will ship at least Ingram & Kuzma plus a pick with whatever else if they're serious about getting Leonard from the Spurs a year early.

THIS JUST IN...

It is being reported that DeMarcus Cousins signed a one-year deal to play for the Golden State Warriors. I only know of the team signing, but not the money details. So Boogie Cousins signed on to play for the defending NBA Champions. He should be able to return to the court from injury (Achilles) starting in December 2018 or January 2019.

This is still basically the Summer of LeBron with news of him going to the Lakers.

As a Pelicans fan, what a sad day :(

Ironic that Boogie was requesting a max contract and then signs at the MLE, smh should’ve said he was ring chasing all along :lol:

At least we got Randle signed for two seasons, is he any good since I’ve never seen him play.

Boogie pretty much ruined the NBA now when he signed with the GS.

Yeah I get that he's gonna be coming off from a serious injury but man 5 All Stars in one team? This is like NBA 2K levels of ridiculousness.

Word has it that Carmelo Anthony and the Oklahoma City Thunder will part ways. It will be interesting to see where Carmelo goes next or which team will pick him up. Or maybe he could play for some non-NBA team (like Euroleague for example). If you have any ideas where 'Melo could end up, feel free to comment.

In other news, get to know the latest New Orleans Hornet- Tony Parker! Yes... the Tony Parker who wore black and silver now plays for the Hornets. So he goes from the San Antonio Spurs to the New Orleans Hornets. Seems like the once formidable Spurs now is in a real tailspin. Real interesting news tidbit there.

RECENTLY REPORTED:

The Oklahoma City Thunder agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony to... the Atlanta Hawks along with several other Hawks players. Word has it Carmelo could be waived by Atlanta and COULD end up with the Houston Rockets. Atlanta was one of the sorriest teams last season. So it's possible he could give the Hawks a boost.

All of this according to an ESPN Breaking News alert I saw an hour ago.

Clint Capela has been a huge part of the Houston Rockets. Recently, the team and Capela agreed to terms on a five-year deal worth $90M USD. I'd say this is a good signing by the Rockets.

Manu Ginobili has announced his retirement... he is undoubtely the best south american player in the history of the NBA.

Manu was surely one of the best players in the NBA. I wish him well in his retirement. He's no doubt Hall of Fame material to me. Even as a Houston Rockets fan, I respect the hell out of Manu Ginobili rocking San Antonio Spurs colors. Congratulations to him on a fine career.

How you feeling @a6m5 about Manu?
He was my favorite player at one point, and as you know, I was a diehard Blazer fan.

I feel like he could have retired earlier, but he's had a wonderful career. Off the charts skills, athleticism, supercharged with tremendous heart, drive..... cunning player on both ends of the court. Sounds lot like my opinion on another one of my all-time favorite players Scottie Pippen. Thanks for tagging me! :)👍

How do you like the idea of the NBA letting its players be able to choose whatever color(s) sneakers they want to wear on the court?

There have been a few recent rule changes in the NBA. Among others, resetting the shot clock to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound. This article features a number of approved changes: https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-approves-three-rules-changes-2018-19-season-201837759.html . One has to wonder how this could affect the game moving forward.

Besides this, a lot of attention of late has been on some sexual harassment and other lewd conduct involving the Dallas Mavericks the past 20 or so years. Mark Cuban supposedly had no warning or idea that these acts were going on.

I updated the opening post to include records of the end of last season's regular season. It will help you to see who the better teams are heading into this new season.

I hear the first wave of NBA Preseason games starts up this Friday. So we will get our first look at the various teams and players starting this weekend.

Tonight is the start of the NBA Preseason. This will be the first look at each of the teams as well as the new players on new teams or rookies trying to prove themselves in the NBA. A lot of the basketball between Summer League and various exhibitions are mostly complete. It's now time to focus on the upcoming regular season and the 82-game regular season grind. I think LeBron James' Lakers debut will be this Sunday.

Time to heat up the hardwood! You all feel free to talk about your favorite team(s) and player(s) as the Preseason moves along. Let's get some discussion going!

Preseason action is going on. I'm watching the Grizzlies vs. Rockets game being played in Birmingham, AL. What may end up being as controversial as the NFL's Roughing the Passer penalty will probably be the revisions to the Clear-Path foul. I think the Rockets got called for the same foul three times in the first half of their game tonight. This is going to be a long season if there's a rash of ticky-tack fouls being called.

Not even regular season and Pels getting bit by the injury bug, Jah goes down and not sure if Randle has been cleared from his knock against the Bulls.

Very excited to see what our collection of bigs can do this year in the bayou 👍

Utah is looking pretty solid in the few pre-season games so far. They have a tough test being in the West, but barring any injuries they should make the playoffs this year. Also with a little luck, they should make a run through the first round

The Utah Jazz are an improved team. Not even my Houston Rockets should take Utah lightly (and they won't). The majority of the NBA will be trying to see what kind of difference LeBron James can make for the Lakers. Even as a Rockets fan, it is possible he'll bring a title to the Lakers. I am not anticipating that old, "not 3, not 4, not 5..." comments during "The Decision."

I'm more like "if not now, then when?" in regards to my Houston Rockets. Golden State is still the team to beat. Maybe we would have beaten Golden State if we didn't brick 27 straight 3-point shots. This Rockets team can win a championship. Trouble is, can they combat their own demons to actually and finally become champs? Houston waited long enough to get its third-ever NBA championship. When they will finally end the drought is anybody's guess.

Next Wednesday, GTPlanet. Next Wednesday is the start of the 2018-2019 NBA season. So keep on playing those Preseason games... just make ready for the new season when it starts proper.

Apparently, the 2018-2019 NBA season starts TONIGHT- not tomorrow night. So... we got the Philadelphia 76ers at the Boston Celtics. Are you ready for some NBA hardwood action? If not, get psyched!

Oh... and that team called the Golden State Warriors are still the team to beat. Will they win it all again, or will any of the other 29 teams finally dethrone the Warriors?

"What a horrible night to have a curse."

Absolute 🤬 disgrace. How do you show you mean business? Simple- lose 131-112 at home! I know there are 81 games left in the season, but when you are seen as a contender and you stink up the joint like this, you begin to feel disappointed. Hopefully this 🤬 doesn't fester the rest of the season. Hopefully this is just a slow start with the Rockets having an "we got this" attitude. I'll be damned seeing the Rockets lose this bad to the New Orleans Pelicans. The Pellies simply had more energy and executed more. In fact, I don't think the Rockets led at ANY point of the contest.

Long season ahead, but rant over. Congratulations to all other winners from tonight's games.

Tonight televised on TNT, these games will be shown:

* CHI Bulls at PHI 76ers
* LAL Lakers at POR Trail Blazers

So yes- it will be LeBron James' debut rocking Lakers purple and gold. Should be interesting to see how King James performs in his first game with his new team. My Houston Rockets will pay a visit to the Lakers this Saturday night.

Enjoy some NBA hoops tonight, folks. 👍

Tonight will be the home debut of LeBron James as a Los Angeles Laker. My Houston Rockets will pay a visit to Staples Center to meet King James. Rockets got to get it together after getting hammered by the New Orleans Pelicans back on Thursday at home. The math is like this:

LeBron James' LAL debut at home + Houston Rockets + ESPN coverage = Rockets loss (more than likely)

So... yay, us. Hope to be proven wrong, though...

So close for the Jazz last night. I thought they could pull it out. But hanging with Golden State like that gives me pretty good hope for the rest of the season barring any injuries.

Back