• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 52 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Whereas COVID-19/Coronavirus tried to pull an ankle breaker on the 2020-2021 season, we still had a fairly decent season of NBA basketball. I decided I release the new season's thread with the NBA Draft looming later tonight.

The team to beat this season is the Milwaukee Bucks. Can any team challenge the likes of the Bucks with the Greek Freak, Giannis Antetokounmpo? Can my Houston Rockets be MUCH better than their pathetic 15-win season? How will the NBA progress despite this pandemic we are living in? These questions and more will be answered in another quest to hoist the O'Brien Trophy at season's end. GTPlaneteers, this is the thread for the 2021-2022 season of NBA basketball! Welcome!

Let's tip off the upcoming season proper with this thread. You ready? GO!

Big congrats to Josh Giddey, who was selected 6th overall by OKC. Coincidently, he's the sixth ever Australian player to be drafted inside the top ten.

Last edited:
So, do you Dallas Mavericks fans love Luka Doncic? Well, he'll be there for about five more years, since he signed a five-year max-extension deal of about $275M USD. L. Doncic is the truth. Hate to say it as a Rockets fan, but Dallas can only get better with L. Doncic.

As for my Rockets, we picked up Daniel Theis. We gave up Kelly Olynyk to the Detroit Pistons. I'm hoping this deal works out for the Houston Rockets in getting over their woeful 15-win season this past season.

The NBA is investigating the trade deals involving Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry. Not sure what happened there and how the two teams could be punished for these moves if under violation.

I would like to wish J.J. Redick the best in his retirement. He announced his retirement today. J.J. Redick was a beast of a player in college at Duke. He was a deadly three-point shooter in the NBA as well. His NBA service lasted 15 seasons and played for six different teams. He was drafted in 2006 by the Orlando Magic.

As for my Houston Rockets, we might as well be the "Rebuilding Rockets." John Wall is looking to be traded. Much like how I am not expecting much out of my Houston Texans in the NFL in the 2021 season, I am not expecting much out of the 2021-2022 Houston Rockets. I just hope we win more than 15 games (pandemic-limited or not).

A lot of NBA Preseason action is taking place to gear up for the 2021-2022 NBA season. Some teams have already played recently. Here are tonight's games:

• IND Pacers at NYK Knicks
  • CLE Cavaliers at CHI Bulls
  • WAS Wizards at HOU Rockets
  • MIL Bucks at MEM Grizzlies <<< MIL defending champions

Go enjoy some NBA basketball!

The Houston Rockets downed the Washington Wizards 125-119 in the 2021-2022 Preseason opener last night. The mindset of this new Rockets squad is to go with young, fresh talent. Kevin Porter Jr. scored the most points for Houston by putting up 25 points. Newcomer Jalen Green and Daniel Theis each got 12 points. This team will be so much different without James Harden and with John Wall going to be traded. A realistic longshot to me would be the Houston Rockets making the playoffs without going to the Play-In Tournament. But... we'll see how this younger and leaner Rockets squad will fare this upcoming season once their first regular season game happens at the Minnesota Timberwolves on October 20. This Rockets team will be devoid of any explosive offense, but I can see this team competing and keeping games close.

Well, GTPlaneteers, guess what tonight is?

BALL NIGHT!

That's right! The 2021-2022 National Basketball Association regular season begins in full anger starting tonight. The quest for the O'Brien Trophy begins with the intense 82-game grind featuring all of the NBA's teams. Can the successful teams from last season keep their form in the new season? Can the failing teams improve? Witness the players and teams deliver clutch shots, wicked dunks, fast breaks, transition defense, buzzer beaters, and occasional fouls... all the awesomeness only the NBA can provide. Here's the schedule for Opening Night tonight:

• BKN Nets at MIL Bucks <<< MIL - defending champions
  • GS Warriors at LAL Lakers

Enjoy not only tonight's action, but the 2021-2022 NBA season!

The Houston Rockets began their 2021-2022 campaign last night at the Minnesota Timberwolves. So far, so BAD for the rebuilding Rockets. T-Wolves stomped on the Rockets 124-106. Here's one stat i read- the Rockets have FIVE players 19 or younger on this squad. It will be a long season for the Houston Rockets. However, I am hopeful as to this team returning to being a contender. Keep good faith, Houston Rockets fans...

That's what I will be referring to the Houston Rockets the 2021-2022 season: the Rebuilding Rockets.

First win for the 2021-2022 Houston Rockets! On the same night Major League Baseball's Houston Astros won the American League pennant, the Rockets picked up a 124-91 victory hosting the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Rockets begun this season with getting whacked at the Minnesota Timberwolves 124-106 back on Wednesday. We host the Boston Celtics next this Sunday.

I learned the Houston Rockets' slogan/hashtag this season is "#LightTheFuse." Hopefully they can light a fuse on being a contender again after getting their teeth knocked out last season.

Teams don't usually lose when they are up by about 26 points in basketball. That, however, happened last night when the Los Angeles Lakers lost at the Oklahoma City Thunder last night. Russell Westbrook was also ejected from the game in the 4th Quarter. I don't know what's going on with the Lakers, but this is sad. Even my rebuilding Houston Rockets won over the Thunder this season! Sad and frustrating times if you're a Lakers fan. The Lakers lost at the Thunder 123-115 last night.

Speaking of my 1-3 Rockets, I'm sure they will find every way possible to fail at home against the 3-0 Utah Jazz tonight, so I won't be surprised if we drop this one tonight. But if we get lucky, it will be happy dance time for me.

Somehow, the Los Angeles Lakers can't figure out the Oklahoma City Thunder. They blew a 27-point lead in their last game, then a 26-point lead in their most recent meeting. Even my rebuilding Rockets beat the Thunder. Just sayin'. It was 123-115 the score that Oklahoma City beat the Lakers by last month in Oklahoma City, and then 107-104 was the score the Thunder beat the Lakers by in Los Angeles last night. Oklahoma City is dead last in the Northwest Division of the Western Conference.

As for my Rockets? Our vicious road trip continues with a game on Saturday at Denver followed by at Golden State on Sunday. Yep. We may be stuck on one win before we come back home this coming Wednesday to host Detroit.

Last edited:
JUST WRAPPED UP- the Houston Rockets fell at the Denver Nuggets 95-94. Though they had a timeout left with 10 seconds to go, the Rockets instead tried to get a quick layup at the other end. That layup, though, was blocked. So the Rockets are still stuck on 1 win and now have 8 losses. Their road trip concludes at Golden State tomorrow. The rebuilding Rockets are competing, however. Just not winning. These guys will figure it out eventually and return to being a contender.

Before another ball night happens proper tonight, let me update the standings for you all heading into tonight's games. So here goes:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of: November 9, 2021) ---
ATLANTIC: Philadelphia (8-3), BKN and NY (7-4), TOR (6-5), BOS (4-6)
CENTRAL: Chicago (7-3), CLE (7-4), MIL (4-6), IND (4-7), DET (1-8)
SOUTHEAST: Miami and Washington (7-3), CHA (5-7), ATL (4-7), ORL (3-8)
CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS: PHI, MIA, CHI, WAS, CLE, BKN, NY, and TOR

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of: November 9, 2021) ---
PACIFIC: Golden State (9-1), PHX (6-3), LAC (5-4), LAL (6-5), SAC (5-6)
SOUTHWEST: Dallas (7-3), MEM (6-4), SA (3-7), HOU (1-9), NO (1-10)
NORTHWEST: Utah (7-3), DEN (6-4), POR (5-5), OKC and MIN (3-6)
CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS: GS, UTA, DAL, PHX, MEM, DEN, LAC, and LAL

There is still a lot of basketball left this season. So keep playing hard and try to make a postseason run!

The Houston Rockets are 1-9, and they took on the 1-8 Detroit Pistons here in Houston. Rockets screwed up hard, having lots of turnovers. We end up failing to Detroit 112-104. Two sorry teams, and Detroit proved to be less sorry. Maybe this meant we'd lose since ESPN was covering this. Lord knows we do nothing but fail on ESPN/ABC.

So, that's my pathetic Rockets. Hopefully your team(s) is/are doing better.

For those of you who watch ESPN's "First Take," did you see yesterday's installment? After the Golden State Warriors torched the Brooklyn Nets, Stephen A. Smith gave a furious rant on the Nets. The Warriors beat the Nets 117-99 back on Tuesday. Really, the only thing I saw from Stephen A.'s rant was what I saw from First Take's Twitter feed. Right now, Golden State is looking real good.

If the National Basketball Associaion were a house, the "Welcome" doormat would probably be my Houston Rockets. We're stuck on one win and 1-14 and have lost 13 straight. Our latest fail was to the only team we beat- the Oklahoma City Thunder. Stephen Silas just isn't working as a head coach of the Houston Rockets. Let alone a first-year head coach. So... yeah. We're a doormat.

ROCKETS WIN!!!

The Houston Rockets ended their 15-game losing streak and earn their second win of the 2021-2022 season by defeating the Chicago Bulls 118-113. The Houston Rockets are now 2-16 on the season. A big aspect of this win was a great 3rd Quarter where they finally overtook the Bulls after closing in so many times before. This game against the Chicago Bulls is part of a three-game home stand that includes the New Orleans Pelicans and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Now that Thanksgiving is done, here is a Standings Update to see how the 30 NBA teams are doing so far (Source: Yahoo! Sports):

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Brooklyn (14-5), NY (10-8), PHI and BOS (10-9 each), TOR (9-10)
CENTRAL: Chicago (12-7), MIL (11-8), CLE (9-10), IND (8-12), DET (4-14)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (12-7), WAS (11-7), CHA (12-8), ATL (10-9), ORL (4-15)
CURRENT TOP 8 EAST: BKN, MIA, CHI, WAS, CHA, MIL, NY, PHI

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
PACIFIC: Golden State (16-2), PHX (15-3), LAC (10-8), LAL (10-10), SAC (7-12)
SOUTHWEST: Dallas (10-7), MEM (9-9), SA (4-13), NO (4-16), HOU (2-16)
NORTHWEST: Utah (12-6), POR (10-9), MIN and DEN (9-9 each), OKC (6-12)
CURRENT TOP 8 WEST: GS, PHX, UTA, DAL, LAC, POR, MEM, MIN

Still a long ways to go. Don't feel sad if your team isn't doing so well so far. That even includes my pathetic 2-16 Houston Rockets right now.

Elsewhere...

...after a Flagrant Foul was called on the Lakers' LeBron James when he elbowed Isaiah Stewart of the Detroit Pistons this past Sunday, the NBA suspended LeBron James for one game and I. Stewart for two games.

Back to basketball. Enjoy this weekend's games!

Say what? The Houston Rockets have won three straight games! Their latest job was in silencing the Oklahoma City Thunder 102-89. The Rockets complete a perfect home stand. The Rockets will now head out on the road to play Oklahoma City at Oklahoma City on Wednesday. From losing 15 straight to winning three straight. Wow! Let's go, Rockets!

The 2021-2022 Houston Rockets have become the first team in NBA history to win four straight games after losing 15 straight. They knocked off the Oklahoma City Thunder last night 114-110 in Oklahoma City. It was also Houston's first road win. They took down OKC in Houston back on Monday. Oklahoma City, meanwhile, has now lost seven straight games. Tomorrow begins a four-game home stand for the Rockets to try to improve upon their recent hot streak. The Rockets can make it five straight wins if they can get past the Orlando Magic tomorrow night here in Houston. By the way, Christian Wood and Kevin Porter Jr. suffered some injuries during last night's contest. Kudos to the rest of the Rockets for stepping up in a crucial time.

Oklahoma City got SMASHED last night at Memphis by 73 points. Wow! The Memphis Grizzlies won 152-79 hosting Oklahoma City. OKC has now lost eight straight games. Their last victory was a 101-89 victory over my Houston Rockets back on November 17, 2021. The Thunder's next game will be at the Detroit Pistons this Monday.

Memphis' 152-79 beating of Oklahoma City is the largest margin of victory in NBA history. It surpassed when the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Miami Heat by 68 points in 1991 in Cleveland(?). It may be safe to say that while the Houston Rockets still have the worst record in the West, and while the Detroit Pistons have the worst record overall at 4-16, 6-16 Oklahoma City Thunder surely have it worse right now.

I don't know what's up with my Houston Rockets, GTPlanet. We've somehow became the first team in any of the four major American pro sports to win seven straight games after losing 15 straight. The latest win was in James Harden's return to Houston last night. Houston beat the Brooklyn Nets 114-104. This is part of a tough series of upcoming games. Tomorrow, we are on a back-to-back: home against Milwaukee on Friday followed by at Memphis on Saturday. The Houston Rockets currently sit at 8-16, 4th in the Southwest Division of the Western Conference and tied for 13th overall in the Western Conference with Oklahoma City.

Seven, and no more. The Houston Rockets failed last night 123-114 hosting the defending champion Milwaukee Bucks. No rest for the weary- at the Memphis Grizzlies next for the Houston Rockets tonight.

A lot of NBA teams are dealing with this recent wave of the COVID-19/Coronavirus Delta and Omicron variants. A lot of players are in protocols.

On a somewhat lighter note, my Houston Rockets downed the Detroit Pistons 116-107. Detroit has lost a franchise-tying 14 straight losses. Detroit hosts Miami tonight in this back-to-back. Yeah... if Miami has their way, Detroit's losing streak may be extended and to a new record. The Pistons are stuck on four wins after 30 games. My Rockets, meanwhile, got their 10th win of the season, carrying a record of 10-20. Our five-game road trip continues tomorrow at the Chicago Bulls.

Detroit ended their franchise-tying 14 game losing streak by defeating Miami 100-90 in Detroit. This win last night was only their fifth win on the 2021-2022 season through 29 games they played. Detroit has the league's worst record at 5-24.

Merry Christmas, GTPlaneteers! Before this slate of Christmas games tip off, let me provide a Standings Update for all of the teams heading into today. Find your favorite team(s) here:

--- Standings Update (as of: December 25, 2021) ---
ATLANTIC: Brooklyn (21-9), PHI and BOS (16-16 each), TOR (14-15), NY (14-18)
CENTRAL: Chicago (19-10), MIL (21-13), CLE (16-13), IND (14-19), DET (5-26)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (20-13), WAS (17-15), CHA (17-17), ATL (15-16), ORL (7-26)
CURRENT EAST PLAYOFF (1-8): BKN, CHI, MIL, MIA, CLE, WAS, PHI, BOS

PACIFIC: Phoenix (26-5), GS (26-6), LAC (17-15), LAL (16-17), SAC (13-20)
SOUTHWEST: Memphis (19-14), DAL (15-16), SA (13-18), NO (12-21), HOU (10-23)
NORTHWEST: Utah (22-9), DEN (15-16), MIN (15-17), POR (13-19), OKC (11-20)
CURRENT WEST PLAYOFF (1-8): PHX, GS, UTA, MEM, LAC, LAL, DAL, DEN

Here is the Christmas lineup of games for this season:
  • ATL Hawks at NY Knicks
  • BOS Celtics at MIL Bucks
  • GS Warriors at PHX Suns
  • BKN Nets at LAL Lakers
  • DAL Mavericks at UTA Jazz

Enjoy Christmas 2021!

So how are your favorite NBA teams doing? Well, mine stinks. My Houston Rockets last in the Western Conference at 11-31, losers of three straight. Thankfully, two teams stink worse than the Rockets. Those are the 9-31 Detroit Pistons (lost their last game), and the 7-34 Orlando Magic (losers of nine straight).

Let's be honest- the Memphis Grizzlies are ballin'. They won 10 straight, and Ja Morant is beast. I hate praising another team in my Division, but Memphis is the truth right now.

And THIS JUST IN... Damian Lillard is told to get some surgery to treat abdominal issues.

Apparently, Steph Curry has never hit a game-winning buzzer beater until last night. And in absolutely crap fashion, it had to be against my Houston Rockets. My Rockets still have the worst record in the Western Conference- now 14-33 on the 2021-2022 season for a rebuilding team. This latest road trip was successful, though. The Rockets on this five-game road trip took down San Antonio, Sacramento (Game 2), and Utah on the road. The losses were at Sacramento (Game 1) and at Golden State. Some Rockets fans seem to want Jalen Green either to not start as much or get traded to another team. The Rockets seemed to do better when Jalen Green doesn't play. However, I feel if Jalen Green does get traded, I fear he'll all of a sudden be a superstar with some other team. So it kind of goes both ways.

This was kind of a mini-assessment along with a brief report of my Houston Rockets. How are your favorite teams doing so far? Oh, by the way, my Rockets don't play again until this Tuesday at home against San Antonio.

The Houston Rockets snapped their four-game losing streak and 11-game home losing streak with a 115-104 victory against the Cleveland Cavaliers tonight. Most of the game was sloppy early on with some players on both teams in early foul trouble. The Rockets took advantage of this and did a great job trying to pin down the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Rockets are now 15-36 on the 2021-2022 season- still the worst record in the Western Conference (though Oklahoma City also has 15 wins, but 34 losses). This will now not be the fewest wins in a season by a Rockets team with this 15th win. In case you're wondering, the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic has the worst record in the NBA right now, at 12-41. The Detroit Pistons are not much better at 12-38. Still, let's go Rockets!

Back