• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 58 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The National Basketball Association celebrated its historic 75th anniversary last season. Once the NBA Finals concluded, the Golden State Warriors defeated the Boston Celtics in six games, celebrating their championship in Boston. Who will be the champions of the new season? Will Golden State repeat, or will some other team hoist the O'Brien Trophy at season's end? We'll find out this season!

I was going to post a recap of how the regular season ended last season, but probably because I was so fixated on my Rockets' miserable fail of a season, I forgot to post. So instead, I will post all of the teams that made it to the Postseason last season:

--- 2021-2022 PLAYOFF TEAMS: EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
1: Miami
2: Milwaukee
3: Boston
4: Philadelphia
5: Toronto
6: Chicago
~
7: Brooklyn
8: Cleveland
9: Atlanta
10: Charlotte

--- 2021-2022 PLAYOFF TEAMS: WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
1: Phoenix
2: Memphis
3: Golden State
4: Dallas
5: Utah
6: Denver
~
7: Minnesota
8: Los Angeles Clippers
9: New Orleans
10: San Antonio

So now you know who all proved to be the better teams last season.

Anything from the NBA Draft to the final game of the NBA Finals through this upcoming season is fair game. So if you're an NBA fan, this is your thread! Let's talk NBA hoops!

A lot of Summer League games are on right now to start up NBA action. My Houston Rockets will begin their Summer League run today. I do feel good about this team being better than their horrid 20-62 season last season. The Rockets shipped off a lot of their veterans and are now trying to rely on their young talent to return to their winning ways. I can only hope this all works out. Unless... I'm ready for the Rockets consistently having losing seasons, much like how my Houston Astros of the MLB had three straight 100+ loss seasons before they turned things around.

NBA legend Bill Russell has died today at the age of 88. He has been an 11-time champion, with his championships coming as a player and as a coach. Surely Bill Russell was one of the finest Boston Celtics ever. My condolences go out to all who known and loved the great Bill Russell.

[UPDATE] Bill Russell's No. 6 was retired leaguewide by all the teams.

Last edited:
The 2022-2023 NBA schedule was recently announced. My Houston Rockets will begin their season at the Atlanta Hawks on October 19.

There will be no games on Election Day to help encourage voting during the Mid-Terms. There WILL be games on Christmas Day, of course; and if you're watching on Christmas, here is the lineup of games for Christmas:

• PHI 76ers at NY Knicks
  • LAL Lakers at DAL Mavericks
  • MIL Bucks at BOS Celtics
  • MEM Grizzlies at GS Warriors
  • PHX Suns at DEN Nuggets

Preseason action should begin in October, at least for my Rockets. Get ready for the new season!

I will be happy once the Donovan Mitchell saga is over. I feel like Danny Ainge is trying to fleece the Knicks. Personally at the place where I hope they keep him. I think Ainge got full of himself after he got that haul for Gobert. Minnesota was desperate to keep KAT so they were willing to pay a higher price.It was waaaay too much and it messed up KDs market. If Gobert is worth 4 or 5 1st rd picks plus like 4 rotation players what is KD worth? Anyway I am excited about the Knicks having a legit pg. I know some Knicks fans have complained about his contract but it's the going rate for point guards. It is what is. Go Knicks!

The annual General Managers survey predicts that the Milwaukee Bucks are the favorites to win the championship this 2022-2023 season, and Luka Doncic of the Dallas Mavericks will be MVP of the league. And... the experts are predicting my Houston Rockets will be the worst team in the NBA again after last season's 20-62 record. Yay.

Going on right now are a handful of NBA Preseason games. Some against other NBA teams, some others against non-NBA teams. It's becoming time to warm up the hardwood with some NBA basketball.

It was 116-100 as the Houston Rockets took down the visiting Toronto Raptors. This is just NBA Preseason, but the Rockets are showing improvement. I really believe this team can do better than 20 wins like they did last season. Tari Eason put in about 24 points and grabbed 8 rebounds for the Rockets. The Raptors really struggled trying to bank the three-pointer. Many of the ones the Raptors took seem contested. With this win, the Houston Rockets improve to 2-0 on the Preseason. The Houston Rockets can surely flip the script and shock the world if they can keep playing solid basketball. The only question is if the Rockets can translate this Preseason success into regular season success.

Next Preseason game will be tough- at the Miami Heat on Monday.

Well, GTPlaneteers... you were hoping and waiting for basketball to return. Guess what? The National Basketball Association (NBA) is BACK! Time to hoop it up again as the NBA warms up the hardwood with some good old roundball action. Tonight's games:

• PHI 76ers at BOS Celtics
  • LAL Lakers at GS Warriors

My Houston Rockets will begin their season tomorrow night, at the Atlanta Hawks.

Enjoy the 2022-2023 season of NBA basketball!

Houston Rockets WIN! It was 114-108 as the Houston Rockets defeated the Utah Jazz in Houston on Filipino Heritage Night. Utah was playing on the back end of a back-to-back. Still, the Rockets picked up their first win of the season to improve to 1-3. The Rockets now embark on a four-game road trip starting on Wednesday. This road trip begins with a game at the Utah Jazz.

I'm legitimately wondering if Kyrie is actually mentally ill rather than just the outspoken moron that surrounds himself with yesmen that he has seemed to be since LeBron went back to the Cavaliers.

Couldn't even make it 10 days into the season this time.

Last edited:
I'm legitimately wondering if Kyrie is actually mentally ill rather than just the outspoken moron that surrounds himself with yesmen that he has seemed to be since LeBron went back to the Cavaliers.

Couldn't even make it 10 days into the season this time.
Kyrie is essentially Kanye if Kanye played basketball. For his own good, the NBA should suspend him.

This post will be a Standings Update of how the teams are doing so far:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of: November 1, 2022) ---
  • ATLANTIC: Boston (4-2), TOR (4-3), NY (3-3), PHI (4-4), BKN (2-5)
  • CENTRAL: Milwaukee (6-0), CLE (5-1), CHI (3-4), IND (3-5), DET (2-6)
  • SOUTHEAST: Atlanta (4-3), WAS and CHA (3-4 each), MIA (2-5), ORL (1-6)
  • CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS (* = wild card): MIL, CLE, BOS, TOR, ATL, NY, PHI*, WAS*, CHA*, CHI*

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of: November 1, 2022) ---
  • PACIFIC: Phoenix (5-1), GS and LAC (3-4 each), SAC (2-4), LAL (1-5)
  • SOUTHWEST: San Antonio (5-2), NO (4-2), MEM (4-3), DAL (3-3), HOU (1-7)
  • NORTHWEST: (5-1), UTA (6-2), MIN and DEN (4-3 each), OKC (3-3)
  • CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS (* = wild card): POR, PHX, UTA, SA, NO, MIN, DEN*, MEM*, OKC*, DAL*

You can't win the Championship in November. There's still a LONG ways to go before we call this a season. So keep playing hard and try to make it to the postseason!

The Brooklyn Nets are a hot mess. Recently, the Nets parted ways with Steve Nash. I wouldn't mind if my Houston Rockets fire their head coach and hire Steve Nash. Steve Nash can probably help any sorry team right about now.

THIS JUST IN...

After posting an antisemantic video recently and refusing to apologize for it, Kyrie Irving got suspended without pay for five games. The Brooklyn Nets dropped the hammer on Kyrie Irving for his actions. Still a mess to clean up for Brooklyn's NBA team.

[UPDATE] BKN suspended Kyrie Irving, not the NBA.

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN...

After posting an antisemantic video recently and refusing to apologize for it, Kyrie Irving got suspended without pay for five games. The National Basketball Association dropped the hammer on Kyrie Irving for his actions. Still a mess to clean up for Brooklyn's NBA team.
Please be aware the NBA did not suspend him. The Brooklyn Nets suspended Kyrie for at least 5 games.

Brooklyn Nets, get to know your new coach- Jacque Vaughn. Udoka was one candidate for coach, but BKN went with Vaughn to try to clean up the hot mess that is the Brooklyn Nets. The Nets tonight are hosting the New York Knicks in the Battle for New York City.

How did the Brooklyn Nets do with their new head coach Jacque Vaughn? Oh, nothing... just an 112-85 thrashing of the New York Knicks at home. It is still incredibly early to say the Nets are back or anything. Let's see where the Nets are come playoffs time. If the Nets are even in the Play-In Tournament, it would have to be a victory in cleaning up the hot mess known as the Brooklyn Nets.

What about my Houston Rockets? Well, after we won at the equally sorry Orlando Magic back on Monday, we failed at the Toronto Raptors 116-109. Our next game is at the New Orleans Pelicans on Saturday. My beloved Rockets are the Western Conference doormat as well as the Southwest Division doormat. We're 2-10 on the season.

Games tonight:
  • DAL Mavericks at WAS Wizards
  • PHI 76ers at ATL Hawks
  • CHA Hornets at MIA Heat
  • POR Trail Blazers at NO Pelicans

Enjoy the Thursday night action!

The Houston Rockets WIN! The score was 101-92 in Dallas as the Rockets defeated the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas was coming off the back end of a back-to-back. No Luka Doncic in the Dallas lineup, but it was still great seeing the Rockets pick up a win in Dallas. They had at least 15 blocks in the game along with some timely offense in this victory. The Rockets will return home to start a four-game home stand starting on Friday against the Indiana Pacers.

For the sad 2022-2023 Rockets, this is only the 3rd win of the season.

Ben Simmons hit the hardwood again after facing some time off. Last night in Philadelphia, the Brooklyn Nets failed 115-106 to the 76ers. The Sixers were without James Harden, Joel Embiid, and Tyrese Maxey. Ben Simmons was booed heavily in Philadelphia. Various sports shows like "Get Up," "First Take," and "Undisputed" among others were trashing the Nets on their latest fail. Man... the Nets are a mess. I wonder if they'll even turn things around up in Brooklyn.

But... if you want fail-worthy, try my Houston Rockets. We let the Golden State Warriors come in and get their first road win of the 2022-2023 season. I'm even starting to call my Rockets as the "Rock Bottom Rockets." These guys are absolute trash and have been since James Harden's "this team is unfixable" ways.

The Houston Rockets recently did something they haven't done in some time- win. They did something else they haven't done in a while- win consecutive games. Houston won 128-122 hosting the Atlanta Hawks on Friday, followed by hosting the Oklahoma City Thunder 118-105 the following night. The win over Atlanta was the first win for the Rockets wearing their commemorative San Diego Rockets uniforms. The Houston Rockets are still the doormat of both the Southwest Division and the Western Conference. They sit at 5-14 and will play at Denver tonight and Wednesday night.

While the Houston Rockets have the worst record in the West, they don't have the worst record in the league. Houston is among three teams that have only five wins on the season so far. The other two are the Orlando Magic (5-16) and the team with the worst record- the 5-17 Detroit Pistons.

Last edited:
It was 97-92 as the Houston Rockets defeated the Milwaukee Bucks at home tonight. It was the first time since 2019(?) that the Rockets won a game when scoring less than 100 points (lost previous 33 times). This is also the fourth-straight win at home for the Rockets. There seems to be a different energy to the Rockets of late, and not just from their wearing of their special San Diego Rockets uniforms. None of this tanking nonsense to try to draft Victor Wembanyama- this was just Houston hustle. Great win tonight against a very potent Milwaukee Bucks team!

ROCKETS WIN! This is the fifth straight home win for the 2022-2023 Rockets also. It was 111-97 as the Houston Rockets won hosting the Phoenix Suns... and they didn't lose the lead all game long! The Rockets even led 7-0 early (TOUCHDOWN ROCKETS! With the extra point, of course). The Rockets over the past few games seem to have a new energy and currently riding that wave to wins. Hopefully this is the sign of a turnaround for the Rockets. There was an emotional moment when Stephen Silas and PHX coach Monty Williams hugged each other as Stephen Silas is still mourning the death of his father, Paul Silas. GREAT win for the Houston Rockets! Light the fuse! Meanwhile... it is also five straight losses for the Phoenix Suns. They've gone from one of the best records to stumbling.

Congratulations to all other winners from tonight's games!

Merry Christmas, GTPlaneteers! Did you get the gifts you wanted? The NBA wants to offer you some gifts of their own- the gift of basketball! Here's today's schedule:

• PHI 76ers at NY Knicks
  • LAL Lakers at DAL Mavericks
  • MIL Bucks at BOS Celtics
  • MEM Grizzlies at GS Warriors
  • PHX Suns at DEN Nuggets

According to ESPN SportsCenter, did you know today will be Memphis' first-ever Christmas Day game? Only the Charlotte Hornets are the only team to never play on Christmas Day. Maybe they'll get to play on Christmas someday.

Enjoy today's/tonight's games!

Rumor has it that James Harden could return to Houston. The Houston Rockets were downgraded to doormat status since the departure of James Harden and Russell Westbrook. I gave up on James Harden being an otherworldly superstar. The only way I could accept James Harden to the Rockets is if he takes on a coaching role or some staff role instead of being an active player.

The Houston Rockets will play at the Chicago Bulls tonight. They are currently 9-23 on the 2022-2023 NBA season, dead last in the Southwest Division (5th), dead last in the Western Conference (15th), and only the third-worst record overall (Charlotte is 9-24, and Detroit is 8-27).

ROCKETS WIN! It was 133-118 the score in Chicago as the Houston Rockets tamed the Chicago Bulls. They ended the Bulls' three-game winning streak and snapped their five-game losing streak in the process. Rockets finally have double-digit wins on the season. Now the Charlotte Hornets and Detroit Pistons are the only teams still with single-digit wins on the season. And still, the Rockets are dead last in the Western Conference and Southwest Division.

Up next, at the Boston Celtics tomorrow night. Then after that, at the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday. This road trip will NOT be easy.

We whack the Chicago Bulls in the front end of this back-to-back, but we get whacked in return on the back-end of this back to back. The Rockets defeated Chicago 133-118 on Monday, then Boston throttled the Rockets 126-102. We're still the worst team in the Western Conference and in the Southwest Division.

Up next for the Rockets is at the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday.

Elsewhere, I GOT to share this...

* The Los Angles Clippers made history on Monday night by being one of few teams to win after being down by 14+ in the final three minutes of a game. It was the Clippers' first-ever win when down by 14+ with three minutes left in a game. Previously since 1996, teams were (get this...) 2-12873 prior to the Clippers downing the worst-record Detroit Pistons last night in Detroit. I got this stat from the Bally Sports show, "The Rally." I had to pause live TV to ensure I picked up the stat right. All congratulations to the Clip Joint on that epic win last night.

* Dang, Luka! Luka Doncic had himself a triple double of 60-21-10 in Overtime win at the New York Knicks on Tuesday night. As if Luka Doncic isn't a beast already, he's even more so. I think his triple-double even trumped when James Harden had himself a 60-point triple-double for the Houston Rockets. Again- dang...

* Speaking of James Harden, there are musings that James Harden wants to return to the Houston Rockets. I gave up on Harden being an S-rank superstar, and the only way I could accept James Harden returning to the Rockets is if maybe for a coaching role or a staff role. People usually criticize that James Harden doesn't play defense. So if he were to be a coach, whatever team he'd coach would lack defense!

Hopefully your beloved teams are doing well this season.

* Dang, Luka! Luka Doncic had himself a triple double of 60-21-10 in Overtime win at the New York Knicks on Tuesday night. As if Luka Doncic isn't a beast already, he's even more so. I think his triple-double even trumped when James Harden had himself a 60-point triple-double for the Houston Rockets. Again- dang...
Only 60pt Triple-Dub in NBA history with the accompanying 20+ rebounds. :cool:

My Houston Rockets failed again (again), following their 135-115 defeat last night at the Sacramento Kings. They play again tomorrow night at the Kings as this Western road trip continues for Houston. The Rockets once again have the league's worst record- now at 10-31 and 5th in the Southwest Division.

What I want to talk about, though, is the Miami Heat making history. The Miami Heat recently set an NBA record by going 40 for 40 at the free throw line without a single miss playing at the Oklahoma City Thunder. Any chance you get to score points, you take advantage. Free throws are not automatic, though they are seen as automatic or can't-miss. The previous record for most free throws in a game without a miss was done by the Utah Jazz in 1982, when they went 39 for 39.

In a totally different story, the Miami Heat will no longer name its arena as FTX Arena due to the ongoing downward spiral of the FTX Cryptocurrency company. All branding of this company will be removed.

[OMISSION] The Miami Heat won against the Oklahoma City Thunder 112-111 in Miami. Miami heads into the 2nd half of the season at 22-20, 1st in the Southeast Division.

Last edited:
With just about all teams playing half of the 2022-2023 season so far, let's get a Standings Update. Find your favorite team(s) as of the time of this post:

(* = current Play-In team)

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of: January 12, 2023) ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (30-12), BKN (27-13), PHI (25-15), NY (23-19), TOR (18-23)
MIDWEST: Milwaukee (27-14), CLE (26-16), IND (23-19), CHI (19-23), DET (12-33)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (22-20), ATL (19-22), WSH (18-24), ORL (16-26), CHA (11-31)
CURRENT EAST PLAYOFF: BOS, BKN, MIL, PHI, CLE, NY, IND*, MIA*, ATL*, CHI*

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of: January 12, 2023) ---
PACIFIC: Sacramento (22-18), LAC (22-21), PHX (21-22), GS (20-21), LAL (19-22)
SOUTHWEST: Memphis (28-13), NO (25-17), DAL (23-19), SA (13-29), HOU (10-31)
NORTHWEST: Denver (28-13), UTA (21-23), MIN (20-22), POR (19-21), OKC (18-23)
CURRENT WEST PLAYOFF: DEN, MEM, NO, SAC, DAL, LAC, PHX*, GS*, UTA* MIN*

There's still a chance to make the postseason, and nobody has been officially eliminated that I know of. So keep playing hard to make a case for the postseason. Enjoy the rest of the season!

The Houston Rockets made history back on Wednesday, as Alperen Sengun became the youngest center to record a triple-double. The center from Turkey recorded 10 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists.

That's the only good news of late for the Houston Rockets. Otherwise, their losing ways continue as they've lost both games at the Sacramento Kings. They lost 135-115 on Wednesday and 139-114 last night. Their next game is a back-to-back in Los Angeles taking on the Clippers on Sunday (my birthday) and at the Lakers on Monday.

Well, the NBA Trade Deadline is next month. Rockets may as well be traders to get this team some sort of hope for the future. This team just has no hope for winning and don't seem to ever break out of this funk. Even if the Rockets somehow draft Victor Wenbanyama (Who I didn't know is one of my fellow January Capricorns), this team still needs a whole lot to get this atrocity of a team to being a contender again.

Enough about my sorry arse team- hopefully yours are doing much better (and probably are).

Back