NBA: 2022-2023 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 58 comments
The Houston Rockets may have a star on their hands in Alperen Sengun. Never mind that the Houston Rockets have the NBA's worst record at 11-38; Sengun has done something no other center in NBA history has done- have multiple triple-doubles before age 21. Sengun is only 20 years old as of the time of this post. I think Sengun has to be the player the Rockets should build around.

The Rockets have dropped two straight after ending their 13-game losing streak. Up next is a "who cares?" game- the 11-38 Rockets at the 13-37 Detroit Pistons tomorrow night. Worst in the West (and overall) meets the worst in the East.

By the way, congratulations to all who made the All-Star Game!

Does your team want Kyrie Irving? No- this is NOT a drill. Nets Point Guard Kyrie Irving requested a trade. The trade deadline is on February 9, so I wonder who would trade for him and what each team would get in return for the trade. Likely landing spots could be the Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, or Dallas Mavericks. If not traded, Kyrie Irving will make himself a free agent after this season.

As for my lowly Houston Rockets, we're 13-38 on the 2022-2023 season, having won back-to-back games (at DET and vs. OKC). "The North" comes down south to H-Town as the Toronto Raptors meet the Houston Rockets.

Does your team want Kyrie Irving? No- this is NOT a drill. Nets Point Guard Kyrie Irving requested a trade. The trade deadline is on February 9, so I wonder who would trade for him and what each team would get in return for the trade. Likely landing spots could be the Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, or Dallas Mavericks. If not traded, Kyrie Irving will make himself a free agent after this season.

As for my lowly Houston Rockets, we're 13-38 on the 2022-2023 season, having won back-to-back games (at DET and vs. OKC). "The North" comes down south to H-Town as the Toronto Raptors meet the Houston Rockets.
Dallas has acquired Kyrie Irving for Spencer Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith, a first round pick and multiple 2nd round picks.

Right, @Blitz24 . Thanks for the update! This may make Dallas even more dangerous... or send them into a serious tailspin...

By the way, my Rockets went from back-to-back wins to back-to-back losses. Yay.

I want to take a moment to congratulate LeBron James on surpassing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the all-time scoring record. He did so as the Lakers hosted the Oklahoma City Thunder. Whether you love or loathe LeBron James, you have to admit he's accomplished a whole lot going straight out of High School to the NBA. That night, however, would have been better for the Lakers if they had won the game, which they didn't. The Lakers fell 133-130.

The NBA Trade Deadline is tomorrow. Have to wonder what other trades will be made before the deadline is reached.

Nets have officially ended their Big 3 era as they traded Kevin Durant and TJ Warren to the Phoenix Suns for Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges, Jae Crowder and 5 first round picks.

I cannot say I didn't anticipate that they would trade him, but I would be surprised if Kyrie Irving will ever be forgiven by Nets fans for his antics.

The 2023 NBA All-Star Break is here! Before the All-Star festivities begin in Salt Lake City, UT, USA; let's see how all the teams will head into the break. Where is your favorite team in this Standings Update? Find out here:

(source: Yahoo! Sports)

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (as of: February 17, 2023) ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (42-17), PHI (38-19), BKN (34-24), NY (33-27), TOR (28-31)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (41-17), CLE (38-23), CHI (26-33), IND (26-34), DET (15-44)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (32-27), ATL (29-30), WSH (28-30), ORL (24-35), CHA (17-43)
CURRENT EASTERN PLAYOFF (play-in teams with asterisks): BOS, MIL, PHI, CLE, BKN, NY, MIA*, ATL*, WSH*, TOR*

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (as of: February 17, 2023) ----
PACIFIC: Sacramento (32-25), LAC (33-28), PHX (32-28), GS (29-29), LAL (27-32)
SOUTHWEST: Memphis (35-22), DAL (31-29), NO (30-29), SA (14-45), HOU (13-45)
NORTHWEST: Denver (41-18), MIN (31-30), OKC (28-29), POR (28-30), UTA (29-31)
CURRENT WESTERN PLAYOFF (play-in teams with asterisks): DEN, MEM, SAC, LAC, PHX, DAL, NO*, MIN*, GS*, OKC*

OBSERVATIONS:
WIN PERCENTAGES...
...BEST: Boston (.707)
...WORST: Houston (.224)

RECORDS:
...BEST HOME: Denver (27-4)
...WORST HOME: Detroit (8-21)

STREAKS:
...LONGEST WINNING: Milwaukee (12 straight wins)
...LONGEST LOSING: San Antonio (14 straight losses)

So right now, it's the Boston Celtics with the best record overall, and my Houston Rockets with the worst record overall. There's still a lot that can change between now and then, so don't write off anybody yet- even my sorry Rockets.

Enjoy the All-Star Break!

Now that the All-Star Break is over, we go back to regular season NBA basketball. Every game from here on out is towards getting into the Playoffs as well as making a run for the O'Brien Trophy and declaration as the 2022-2023 NBA season Champions. Or... it may also be a chance to better your odds of getting some NBA Draft help if you one of the lower percentile teams, like Houston, Detroit, or Orlando. So go play hard this season!

The Houston Rockets lost at the Portland Trail Blazers last night 131-114, but the real story was that Damian Lillard of Portland dropped 71 of those points on Houston. OUCH! Damian Lillard is a Rockets killer. I still get nightmares about him hitting that buzzer-beating 3 that ended the postseason hopes of the Houston Rockets long ago. The Rockets need LOTS of help trying to get back to being contenders and actually being watchable again.

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to the inevitable Ja Morant 30 for 30 doc. Can’t remember the last time I saw an athlete actively set their career on fire.

I want to like the guy but him and the Grizzlies are way too loud. They seem very reminiscent of the Gilbert Arenas Wizards era

Meanwhile... the Houston Rockets' 11-game losing streak ends as they won 122-110 at the San Antonio Spurs. Houston and San Antonio likely aren't going to the postseason this season, but the Rockets played with a certain energy that vaulted them over the top and to a solid victory. They put on a LOT of dunks, got into some great transition offense, and played like a team that ISN'T 13-49. San Antonio recently endured their longest losing streak in franchise history (16 straight losses) but won two straight heading into this match. This is only the 14th win of the season for the Rockets. These two teams meet again tomorrow night; this time, in Houston.

We have some teams that are IN! The following teams have clinched Playoff berths as of the time of this post:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE Playoff Teams (as of: March 18, 2023) ---
* Milwaukee, Boston

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE Playoff Teams (as of: March 18, 2023) ---
* Denver

And in case you're wondering... ELIMINATED TEAMS: Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, San Antonio

Still a lot of season left, so keep playing for the Postseason!

No Texas teams will be in the NBA Playoffs this season. This is the first time this has happened since the Dallas Mavericks began their time in the NBA back in the 1980-1981 season. The Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs were already eliminated long ago, leaving Dallas the only remaining Texas hope. Dallas started falling apart late and ended up failing to make the postseason in 2022-2023. Well, the 2022-2023 NBA Champions will NOT be from Texas this season. I'm sad... speaking as a Texas native and a Rockets fan... :(

[OMISSION] On a different note, my Rockets are now one win better than last season's 20-62 team that finished with the NBA's worst record. Houston won at the Charlotte Hornets 112-109 on Friday night. This season's worst record likely will go to the Detroit Pistons, currently at 17-64 after winning recently at the Indiana Pacers to snap their 11-game losing streak.

Last edited:
The 2022-2023 Houston Rockets will finish this season 22-60. Coach Stephen Silas reportedly will not return as Rockets coach for the 2023-2024 season. The won their final three games of the season. Maybe this hurts their chances of landing Victor Wenbanyama in the 2023 NBA Draft, but at least the team finishes strong. Last season, 20 wins; this season, 22 wins. Hopefully the Rockets improve further next season.

Congratulations to whomever wins the NBA Championship this season!

The regular season is OVER! Did your favorite team(s) make the postseason? Find out in this final Standings Update:

(! = Division winner)

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS (End of Regular Season) ---
1E: Milwaukee! (58-24) <<< best record in NBA
2E: Boston! (57-25)
3E: Philadelphia (54-28)
4E: Cleveland (51-31)
5E: New York (47-35)
6E: Brooklyn (45-37)
~
PLAY-IN EAST (7-10): MIA! (44-38), ATL and TOR (41-41 each), CHI (40-42)
~
REST: IND and WAS (35-47 each), ORL (34-48), CHA (27-55), DET (17-65)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS (End of Regular Season) ---
1W: Denver! (53-29)
2W: Memphis! (51-31)
3W: Sacramento! (48-34)
4W: Phoenix (45-37)
5W: Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State (44-38 each)
~
PLAY IN WEST (7-10): LAL (43-39), MIN and NO (42-40), OKC (40-42)
~
REST: DAL (38-44), UTA (37-35), POR (33-49), HOU and SA (22-60 each)

The Play-In games begin tomorrow. Teams will be whittled down to where we determine who all will compete to win the O'Brien Trophy at Playoffs' end. Congratulations to all who made it this far! Better luck next season to all who didn't make it.

Last edited:
If your team(s) made it as a seed 7-10, congratulations! However, your postseason hopes may be dashed in one night. So we begin the Play-In Games to fill out the postseason picture. Enjoy the games tonight and tomorrow should you be watching!

Conference Finals time. Four teams remain, two will play for the O'Brien Trophy in the NBA Finals. Who will make it that level, though? Here are your Conference Finals series:

• ECF: BOS Celtics vs. MIA Heat
  • WCF: LAL Lakers vs. DEN Nuggets

On a more serious note, Ja Morant of the Memphis Grizzlies has been suspended from all NBA activities pending review. Recent social media posting shown Ja Morant with a gun in his hands in that awful incident he was involved in. I'm just hoping this doesn't end up hurting Ja Morant like Michael Vick in the NFL. You know- promising young athlete, then ends up doing something totally wrong that haunts the rest of one's professional career and possibly even the rest of one's life.

Anyhow, enjoy the Conference Finals!

Tonight is the NBA Draft Lottery. The big name in this year's Draft Lottery is Victor Wenbanyama. Teams with the best chance of landing Wenbanyama are Detroit, Houston, and San Antonio- each at 14% odds. We'll see who lands who later tonight.

Can't wait for more Charles Barkley gold on Wenbayemba goin' dahn tuh San Antone with them big'ol women.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have half of the 2022-2023 NBA Finals set! It was the Denver Nuggets completing the sweep of the Los Angeles Lakers last night in Los Angeles. So Denver will meet the winner of the Heat/Celtics ECF series. This is Denver's first-ever NBA Finals appearance. Right now, Omnis' Miami is up 3-0 in this series.

The O'Brien Trophy now knows who will be competing for it. The NBA Finals are SET! We have Omnis' Miami Heat preventing getting reverse swept by the Boston Celtics. Miami, though, will be looking up a Mile High at their NBA Finals opponent- the Denver Nuggets. Denver, meanwhile, are NBA Finals debutantes. Miami is a No. 8 seed going up against No. 1 Denver Nuggets. If Miami defeats Denver, they will be the first team to win the NBA Championship as an 8 seed since my Houston Rockets in 1995. We'll see what happens.

Our own Omnis already gave a prediction. Now it's your turn, GTPlanet... who wins the NBA Championship and (optional) in how many games?

Welcome to the NBA Finals for the 2022-2023 season! Tonight is Game 1 between the Miami Heat and the Denver Nuggets. Games 1 and 2 happen in Denver. Will the Heat win another Championship, or will Denver win their first? This Best-of-7 for the O'Brien Trophy and declaration of becoming NBA Champions begins TONIGHT!

Enjoy the NBA Finals!

This series is going to be crazy. Denver and Miami have the best "other guys" in the league, but the Nuggets looked totally amazing.

If the Denver Nuggets win tonight, this season will be over. Miami will need to win three straight to hoist the O'Brien Trophy. Game 5 of the 2022-2023 NBA Finals is in Denver. The Miami Heat are trying to extend the series and bring it back to South Beach for Game 6.

Enjoy Game 5!

Gotta give credit to the Nuggets. They were clearly the best team in the playoffs, but they proved it. The Kroenkes have run the most successful sports entertainment enterprise in the past decade. It's really shocking how they've gone from one success to another.

I'm sad that Jimmy Butler couldn't come up clutch with under 2 minutes remaining. Instead of dropping a Jordan or Kobe-esque dagger, he still is content with driving to the hoop, freezing, and looking for an outlet to pass back to the perimeter. Doesn't make any sense. They literally chose to live or die by "jacking up threes," like Charles Barkley would say, when the game was on the line. Then again, I feel like Jimmy hasn't been 100% since the ankle injury in New York. Everyone on the Heat looked totally gassed from the altitude, too.

I'm really proud of our undrafted guys, especially Caleb Martin and Gabe Vincent, all of whom had outstanding playoff performances. However, they need to go looking in the coal bin again for help at Center. Bam needs to be able to do his thing when teams play small but move to PF when teams play big. It was too easy for Denver to just force a switch and have Jokic stampede guys to the hoop. The heat needs a center who can back down to the hoop and get defenders in foul trouble. Bam's offense is all floaters, and he gets too streaky on offense with things either going in or bricking for a whole game at a time.

Big props to the Heat. A play-in team who made it all the way to Finals & to their credit, was fighting tooth & nail in most games til' Denver decided to turn up their game plan.

Wish we had seen more from Jimmy, but as Omnis has said, doesn't seem like he was himself the whole Playoffs. But, he's intent on ending his career in Miami, so I'm sure Spo & the Godfather will be looking to make moves this summer.

Latest Posts

Back