Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
It's funny they think the casual playerbase can't handle a semi realistic grip handling (BTW, realistic = intuitive, not difficult), but then backtracks by saying performance upgrades need to be more in depth and complicated. Lolwut.

After finishing Payback and then going back to NFS 2015 I get it. 2015 just has some grit and style, Payback is so boring and bland in comparison. Off-road? **** that in a NFS game, its physics aren't meant for that kind of gameplay, i felt like i was driving on a moon with lesser gravity. Even though a lot of people consider that UG is its bloodline Id say its 2 different eras. If you are an old school fan like me, NFS to me is exotic cars in exotic locations, no open world. Then you got UG that sprang the new ongoing generation of more stylized NFS.

I wouldn't mind a NFS World 2.
That one was fun while it lasted.

I've said it before, but I think it is extremely likely for NFS 2019 to be a GaaS title, especially as EA have stated their intent to design future games in this way, starting with Anthem. This could be a spiritual successor to World.

I've said it before, but I think it is extremely likely for NFS 2019 to be a GaaS title, especially as EA have stated their intent to design future games in this way, starting with Anthem. This could be a spiritual successor to World.
GaaS?

Let teh fun and gaems begin bois:

Screenshot_20190509-183004.jpg

From the most reliable source possible: their most recent investor relations publication because that's the only time EA simply just can't get away with their mind games.

Don't get confused by the Q3 bit - that's in relation to their financial year, which, for reasons of business (and probably taxes) means Q3 is roughly around Christmas and thereabouts.

There's also been some as-of-now unsubstantiated rumors about how EA may be getting tired of Ghosts seeming inability to produce a game that's just generally considered "good" in general. Should be some fun times ahead!

Just to add, Andrew Wilson has confirmed 2019 to be about Racers vs Cops.

CEO Andrew Wilson said that a core goal with the new Need for Speed is “revitalizing the street racer vs. cops fantasy at the core of the franchise.”

Knowing the history of the Need For Speed franchise, this almost sounds like a non-story... But it does rule out NFS 2019 being a successor to ProStreet, for instance.

Last edited:
Just to add, Andrew Wilson has confirmed to be about Racers vs Cops.

..so they are rebooting the rebooted reboot by rebooting the reboot of the first reboot?

Have I successfully made the word "reboot" lose its meaning to you yet?

That said, while this is all curious and so on, if this is part of them having had a serious sit-down, analyzed what NFS does best (not just across the last two games, but across the entire franchise), what sort of games a title like that would reasonably be expected to compete against and figuring out where to go from there - and then daring to stick with that decision, come hell or high water - that's something resembling a win for the franchise. Unfortunately, NFS history dictates that.. I trust you can finish that thought on your own. Just look at my opening statement, really.

There's also been some as-of-now unsubstantiated rumors about how EA may be getting tired of Ghosts seeming inability to produce a game that's just generally considered "good" in general. Should be some fun times ahead!

Funnily, Payback would've been a good game if it weren't for the speedcard/vanity items lootbox system (which I'm sure was more EA's idea than Ghost). Even if they axe Ghost, who do they have to take the mantle? I don't recall any other racing games from EA besides NFS since Burnout died.

If they're refocusing once again on Racers vs. Cops, I will happily accept a 4th Hot Pursuit title.
Same! That is what I loved about the old NFSs, as well as NFS Hot Pursuit 2010. I really hope that is what we are getting next.

If they can just create a title like again (without anything to cost me more money like lootboxes), than I will happily take that over the two garbages that were NFS 2015 and Payback.

I would welcome a Hot Pursuit 2010 style of NFS.

Take Payback's visual customization (with features added/improved like more stance options or something like that, etc) ,graphics from 2015 but better, and then add in the cops v racers system then I'm gonna give this one a chance.

Funnily, Payback would've been a good game if it weren't for the speedcard/vanity items lootbox system (which I'm sure was more EA's idea than Ghost).

..I'm not going to say EA didn't make Payback worse than it really needed to, but let's not forget, regardless of EA's monetization scheme, Payback still has a boatload of issues - see the (lack of) cops, second-thought online and gameplay design in general. It might be the least-bad Ghost game so far, but I'm not convinced I'd go ahead and call it decidedly "good", even with the above caveat.

Even if they axe Ghost, who do they have to take the mantle?

The funny thing here being that after EA decided not to let Criterion be a lead developer on any game from then on, they went and created Ghost from tidbits of various studios. There's a very real chance they'll just pull a stunt like that again, because that's never fallen flat on its face before. Either that or they'll do the classic Unicronic Arts thing and buy a promising developer, run them to the ground in a few games and then leave them to rot in the dumpster outside. Take your pick.

In other news, I do feel like it bears repeating what's been said elsewhere on the internets - that one statement we have about NFS 2019 is about as vague as they usually are at this point. While there are a few interesting speculations around (including some in this thread), recent NFS history tells us that getting too excited too early is a bad idea. And yes, that's a reference I've made before.

The likelihood that they'll somehow manage to 🤬 the next game up is far too high for me to be even at the very least cautiously optimistic.

With NFS2015 it was the always-online component. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be still playing it to this day. As it stands, it's a play & dump game. With Payback it was microtransactions/loot-boxes and Speed Cards. Can we assume a GaaS NFS title is next up on EA's list?

As always though, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
..I'm not going to say EA didn't make Payback worse than it really needed to, but let's not forget, regardless of EA's monetization scheme, Payback still has a boatload of issues - see the (lack of) cops, second-thought online and gameplay design in general. It might be the least-bad Ghost game so far, but I'm not convinced I'd go ahead and call it decidedly "good", even with the above caveat.

Oh I agree, Payback is not a good game by any means. But compared to its predecessor I surprisingly quite enjoyed playing it, once I ignored speedcards/vanity items/offroad physics. Once you complete story there's little incentive to go back, but that's always been the case with all NFS games since Undercover I find. Compared to NFS 2015 though, where I want to throw my controller out the window every single time I go around a corner, it's a big big improvement.

I'm not a pursuit junkie, so I quite like the peacefulness of no cops in free roam. I agree they should've made it like MW 2012 with cops still driving around, but requires you to crash into them to initiate a pursuit (as opposed to Undercover's cops who will send in SWAT and helis just from you driving around with a high heat level car).

I'm not a big online player either, so that part of the game is totally irrelevant to my grading :lol: I understand I'm the minority here though.

Ideally, they'd make a Forza Horizon style game with cops to fill the void on Playstation, but I know that bar is just wayyy too high for anything EA can muster :lol:

The funny thing here being that after EA decided not to let Criterion be a lead developer on any game from then on, they went and created Ghost from tidbits of various studios. There's a very real chance they'll just pull a stunt like that again, because that's never fallen flat on its face before. Either that or they'll do the classic Unicronic Arts thing and buy a promising developer, run them to the ground in a few games and then leave them to rot in the dumpster outside. Take your pick.

In other news, I do feel like it bears repeating what's been said elsewhere on the internets - that one statement we have about NFS 2019 is about as vague as they usually are at this point. While there are a few interesting speculations around (including some in this thread), recent NFS history tells us that getting too excited too early is a bad idea. And yes, that's a reference I've made before.

AFAIK Ghost is basically Criterion without the top guys (Craig Sullivan and a few other people). I think they also absorbed some of Black Box staff, but mostly Criterion. That's why the brake to drift handling (remnant of Burnout Paradise physics) has become a stalwart in each NFS since HP 2010.

The only studio I can think of is Firemonkeys. They make NFS No Limits and Real Racing 3, which are decent mobile racing games (though plagued by microtransactions, as usual). But they've been hit with massive layoffs as well recently.

It's sad how many arcade racing studios are gone in just one generation (Evo Studios, Blackrock, Bizarre Creations, Studio Liverpool, United Front Games). I love sim racing more but you can't help but feel the arcade racing genre is just a shell of its former self back in PS1/2 era. Indie devs are propping up the scene but it's not the same.

Payback would've been a good game if it weren't for the speedcard/vanity items lootbox system
Did you play it? Lootbox hysteria was massive exaggeration, especially after they tweak economics toward in game cash. Ghost games tried to rip off MMOish game mechanics from The Crew but failed even harder than Ivory themselves :lol:

Just to add, Andrew Wilson has confirmed 2019 to be about Racers vs Cops
Its smart move, actually. They cant compete with Horizon or even The Crew, so going into different direction could be smart. We can hope these time they can afford some actually working multiplayer tech. Multiplayer in last games was unplayable :ouch:

Its smart move, actually. They cant compete with Horizon or even The Crew, so going into different direction could be smart. We can hope these time they can afford some actually working multiplayer tech. Multiplayer in last games was unplayable :ouch:

Yeah, I'm glad the series is still holding onto its unique selling point, though it is depressing to think NFS is currently the only open-world arcade racer with cops; not every open-world arcade racer needs a super-friendly-automotive-festival theme... Although it might be easier to obtain the licenses of certain car manufacturers that way.

Just ditch the Burnout handling, and give us handling similar to Most Wanted 2005, and I think most of us will be satisfied. There's a reason it's one of the most revisited Need for Speed games.

Did you play it? Lootbox hysteria was massive exaggeration, especially after they tweak economics toward in game cash. Ghost games tried to rip off MMOish game mechanics from The Crew but failed even harder than Ivory themselves :lol:

Yeah I finished Payback. The problem isn't acquiring speedcards per se. Getting a car to level 399 is easy. The problem lies when you want to get a good perk/brand combo to get that last 1% advantage online. You could get it with 1 flip or 500 flips. It's completely random and uncalled for in an AAA game. If this is a F2P mobile game then I would understand. As it is, hard work and skill has no relation to how fast you can get your car. It's all just pure dumb luck. Vanity items are similar, but since they're visual only it's not as important.

IMO they should bring back a separate arcade mode where you can drive and tune any car once unlocked, but cannot use it in career or online. That way people who want to mess around can do so easily without endless grinding, and online competitiveness is preserved.

as opposed to Undercover's cops who will send in SWAT and helis just from you driving around with a high heat level car
It was worse than that actually. If you've beaten the game and drive around in a newly purchased car, you'll instantly have 911 Turbo's and SWAT helicopters on you instantly the second you get into any pursuit.

As for 2019, I think B2D could still work in a game like HP2010 or Rivals, if the road design is similar. 2015 had road design that didn't fit the B2D handling whatsoever, Payback was slightly better but city streets weren't built for that handling model at all. HP2010 and Rivals are the only NFS games I've properly enjoyed with the current handling model.

They need to build the roads and gameplay to make the handling model enjoyable and rewarding to use or scrap it and create a new one.

As for 2019, I think B2D could still work in a game like HP2010 or Rivals, if the road design is similar. 2015 had road design that didn't fit the B2D handling whatsoever, Payback was slightly better but city streets weren't built for that handling model at all. HP2010 and Rivals are the only NFS games I've properly enjoyed with the current handling model.

They need to build the roads and gameplay to make the handling model enjoyable and rewarding to use or scrap it and create a new one.
This.

People don't care for it, but it worked perfectly in Hot Pursuit because the roads in Seacrest were all long, winding roads that made use of the concept without it becoming a hindrance.
steamworkshop-webupload-previewfile-256463323-preview.jpg

The following game, Most WantedEdit however, didn't have that same flow because the game had more of a city-based setting, than wide-open country roads in various environments.
map_205.jpg

The concept was still the same, but it felt like the handling had been tweaked to be a mix of B2D and traditional, slow in, fast out. Been a long time because it was the first game I bought on release (hyped after HP2010 & the time I put into it), and then immediately sold it back in less than a week. The handling just felt awful. That game single handedly turned me off any NFS title, and I've been pretty stuck in my ways that the only NFS game I will buy again is one that goes back to the old formula. The last games have admittedly, been tempting but some of the criticisms have kept me away wondering if the next game will be the one to get whose issues are ironed out, and all the good stuff is improved upon even more.

Watching a favorite YouTube channel play HP2010 again though, has me upset that it isn't available for the Xbox One X. Wonder if Rivals is the closest thing to it.

Last edited:
I think B2D can work in an urban environment fine. Fairhaven just isn't that good of a map to drive on in general.

Back