Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered Revealed, Arrives November 6

People don't understand the effort it would take to remake a PS2 era NFS like underground.

Everything will need to remodelled and texture which comes to it being useless when they can use that time and money for a new game.

Not arguing about the level of effort, but it can be done. What it requires, though, is a level of genuine care that I don't think EA is capable of - I'm talking motivation. You get the sense that Mafia: DE was created because the developers really really wanted to make the game for the sake of making the game. You get the sense that NFS HP has been "remastered" purely to produce some income for EA.

I believe this happened because this was an easy remaster, not because the game looks good already but because of the engine it runs. The chameleon engine was built by the same people using bits and pieces from burnout paradise's engine, another game that was remastered already - so there must be something about this platform that makes the job a lot easier than the older games that run on EAGL.
This game is just a filler game for the next release coming out next gen, so having something that won't require a lot of R&D to push out is definitely the way they would go.

I believe this happened because this was an easy remaster, not because the game looks good already but because of the engine it runs. The chameleon engine was built by the same people using bits and pieces from burnout paradise's engine, another game that was remastered already - so there must be something about this platform that makes the job a lot easier than the older games that run on EAGL.
This game is just a filler game for the next release coming out next gen, so having something that won't require a lot of R&D to push out is definitely the way they would go.
I guess that makes an easy task to remaster Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 since it runs on the same engine.

Not arguing about the level of effort, but it can be done. What it requires, though, is a level of genuine care that I don't think EA is capable of - I'm talking motivation. You get the sense that Mafia: DE was created because the developers really really wanted to make the game for the sake of making the game. You get the sense that NFS HP has been "remastered" purely to produce some income for EA.

Your forgetting about Licencing and Music. Can't remember what cars old games exactly had.

Even the 370Z Coupe and the Panamera? I thought those two would be relatively early-on, especially the former since it's in the first group.

Those 2 are the last cars to unlock in its class now.

Ua2NdAw.png

aVnWmo5.png

Does not look much better than the original. Just bare minimum of what’s required to call it remastered. Also 1080p30 for a slightly improved visuals of a 10 year old game, are they kidding me? I may pick it up when it’s like on a $5 sale, but it’s definitely not worth it for full price.

Does not look much better than the original. Just bare minimum of what’s required to call it remastered. Also 1080p30 for a slightly improved visuals of a 10 year old game, are they kidding me? I may pick it up when it’s like on a $5 sale, but it’s definitely not worth it for full price.

I know 1080p30 for a 10 year old game. Stupid!

Weird choice. I would've preferred High Stakes or Porsche Unleashed Remastered.
Both of those games world require a complete overhaul. Very time consuming. Doing Hot Pursuit requires less work to bring to current gen in comparison.

Remastering last-gen titles mostly feel like nothing but a quick cash grab to me. I can see a reason for games like Modern Warfare and MW2 as fans were literally calling for them or the Yakuza games as they weren't anywhere near as popular on PS3 as they became on Ps4 and many people missed them. This however makes no sense whatsoever except to fill EA's pockets.

SLR and the Carbon Motors police car got removed at least give 3 alternatives.

I do wish Ferrari was in this as a dlc.

If a person has NFS Rivals on Ps4 i doubt his going to play this.

Could they not have made an all new Hot Pursuit sequel / next title in that series instead? :odd: If they absolutely had to do a remaster I would have preferred NFS3 (which is basically HP1) and HP2 combined.

Seems so odd with the resources EA have to pump new NFS game after new NFS game out every few years to just do this. Plus it's literally a re-release with nothing different, its not old enough to need total overhauling to be passable as a title today. It still holds its own if you play it on a 360/PS3 and I guess its mainly for the people that missed it first time around, people who were toddlers at the time :lol:

i agree. It should’ve been a completely new game with modern and cars fro my the last game.

Remastering last-gen titles mostly feel like nothing but a quick cash grab to me. I can see a reason for games like Modern Warfare and MW2 as fans were literally calling for them or the Yakuza games as they weren't anywhere near as popular on PS3 as they became on Ps4 and many people missed them. This however makes no sense whatsoever except to fill EA's pockets.
You likely touched on it; popularity.

Excluding Heat since it's still the newest, Hot Pursuit 10 years later has still managed to actually retain its online community. Steamdb records indicate it is the 2nd highest NFS right now in current users, 24-hour peak, and all-time peak behind Heat. It's all-time peak of 3,005 users was 6-years ago, which exceeds Payback & 2015.

Remastered for 35 quid? :lol:

Sorry but for me Need for Speed stopped being interesting long ago. The games from the 90s and early 00s had the soul of the franchise with Shift providing a brief renaissance.

It started going southbound from the original Underground but truly culminating in the last decade with HP2, MW2, Rivals etc. Developers becoming lazier and lazier with the same BS setup and cheesy rap music/ illegal street racing culture. No cockpit views, no history of the cars, lazy physics that feel like your perpetually aquaplaning.

No thanks, ain't interested.

Weird that base consoles can't handle 60 fps the game wasn't that much more demanding all of a sudden even with upgraded visuals,I'd call that lazy port just so Switch can get a parity for once,that asking price are not ok as well.
I won't be getting this game again and this was the start of their Autolog seamless social challenge stuff that I couldn't care less and it made the game felt too casual and soulless,single player was pretty forgettable for me compared to the OG Hot Pursuit 2.
I remembered all the cars but not the experience itself.
Not to mention the drift to corner handling god I hate that mechanic in this game and Most Wanted 2012.
They should have remake or heavily remaster Most Wanted or Carbon or the fan's favorite Underground 1 and 2 instead but nope another 7th gen Criterion racer that don't need to be remaster.

None of the SLRs are probably gonna come back. There appears to be some licensing/legal disputes about the car as neither Mercedes nor McLaren have it on their historic cars pages. They've actually seemed to have deleted almost all references to the car, SLR erasure

Yet it made it into GTSport just last year...

Both of those games world require a complete overhaul. Very time consuming. Doing Hot Pursuit requires less work to bring to current gen in comparison.

After Tony Hawk 1+2, I'm convinced that remastering old games can be done very well and be worth every penny of USD$40. The problem in this case is simply that PS3-era games are still too recent to make sense. +1 vote for greedy cash grab.

I didn't get into NFS until HP2; I might have to find some of those PS1 discs on eBay...

Now that we've got the car licenses covered, has there been any confirmation whether if songs other than "Edge of the Earth" (as heard in the title screen of recent gameplay videos) from the original soundtrack returns in the remaster?

If they listened to gamers they'd of remastered this...
Need_for_Speed_Most_Wanted_Box_Art.jpg
Totally agree, remaster Most wanted, maybe for they will do this for next-gen. DO we all see this as EA money-spinning as the NFS franchise seems to be fading.

If the price point is good Id buy the game I already have some arcade racers so why do I need this old game? I also think why could they not add some newer car models to update the roster a little bit, I mean they have all the models anyway adding a few would not hurt.

Well I think I am going to buy this on Pre-Order but before I commit does anyone know if this is IT? I.e no sneaky Season Pass that will be added later or Micro transaction stuff that is normally associated with EA games?

Nothing will be taken 100% but it seems like it's a good deal for the Pre-Order price for an old game I liked...

Well I think I am going to buy this on Pre-Order but before I commit does anyone know if this is IT? I.e no sneaky Season Pass that will be added later or Micro transaction stuff that is normally associated with EA games?

Nothing will be taken 100% but it seems like it's a good deal for the Pre-Order price for an old game I liked...

Unless they make new content I don't think we will see any season pass for the game. Everything that was released back then is in game except the 3 cars that got cut.

Why would you expect a season pass for this kind of remastered game? And how is this a good deal? Older games are 15$ on PC and 20$ on consoles yet this remaster is 30$ on PC and 40$ on consoles.

After a small research it's obvious (to me) that Stellar Entertainment was given a job to fix/enchant some older titles to just resell them before the licenses expire. And you have an excuse of a 10th anniversary too. I don't think a lot of hours were put into this so it will probably make some easy extra money. And somehow it make sense why those specific games.

NFS HP2010 is a very good game. The reviews praised every aspect of it. But it still didn't sell that well. Ok, 5mil copies are not a bad number, but compared to 15mil MW 2005 reached. It's not such a huge success. And with that price tag I'm not sure how many will this one sell. I can't find the exact numbers of BP or BP remastered copies sold so I can't be sure but according to Vgchartz at leas BP sold 2mil on PS3 and BPr 370k on PS4. Which is not that bad and it shows that you can still make money with this kind of remastering games.

https://www.vgchartz.com/game/13648/burnout-paradise/?region=All
https://www.vgchartz.com/game/221164/burnout-paradise-remastered/

All of that leads to an inevitable question. Would the investment in rebuilding and relicensing old NFS games make a worthwhile revenue? It's a risk EA would take again? Specially after the Undercover/ MW 2012 fiasco? I highly doubt.
I highly doubt any game can reach 15mil of the MW 2005 on this or next gen. Maybe GT7 or FH5 if they could release on all consoles and PC.

Why would you expect a season pass for this kind of remastered game? And how is this a good deal? Older games are 15$ on PC and 20$ on consoles yet this remaster is 30$ on PC and 40$ on consoles..

I was just making sure that my initial impressions were correct and your reply confirms at least that this is just the original game + DLC.

Got stung very badly with EA many years back (cough Battlefront) so I don't want a repeat of that happening again.

Lmaooo people asking for a Remaster or Remake of UG2 or Most Wanted 2005.

When NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered just had 3 cars removed. You really think its easy especially when it comes to licensing.

Italian Polizia livery for the Lamborghini Gallardo is also removed.

Back