Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
Free roam cops, new events and the R34 can finally go up to 399 - Great update overall! đź‘Ť

Apparently the Skyline is the first car to make have its level uncapped. Looking forward to seeing what other 299 cars follow suit (BMW M3 E46 + E92 and Ford Mustang GT, I'm looking at you!)
Mustang GT already is 399 IIRC.

Last edited:
Making bait crates more freeform in addition to having them spawn in more than two places at once is probably the best spin on freemode cops the franchise has ever seen - they won't bother you unless you come looking for them. I'd disagree that it's better than what many other games do - case in point being how TDU2 forces you to hit cop cars twice to initiate a pursuit - because they still have them cruising around and giving the feel of them existing outside of chases, but I'll take it.

As for the car leveling.. just give it up already and make them all 399. You can already build a Volvo Amazon that eats supercars for breakfast. That alone invalidates any and all arguments.

Also good to see half the missing cars from Most Wanteds Movie Legends DLC is being ported over. I will actually report you if you uglify either of them.

I'm assuming the Trans Am is 2nd gen Smokey & the Bandit version? I'd rather have 3rd gen, but I'm stoked that a Trans Am is being added at all!

I'm assuming the Trans Am is 2nd gen Smokey & the Bandit version? I'd rather have 3rd gen, but I'm stoked that a Trans Am is being added at all!

Yes, appears to be a 1977 just like in the movie. :D

Also the changes to bait crates sound great! This is how they should have been from the start.

... I will actually report you if you uglify either of them.

Aaaand just like that, you have convinced me to buy the DLC. :P

Also worth noting that if you want the Eddie's Skyline R34, you must have played Need For Speed Payback and Need For Speed 2015.

Also worth noting that if you want the 399 Skyline R34, you must have played Need For Speed Payback and Need For Speed 2015.
Could be interpreted as just that the Eddie's version is 2015+Payback reward, but the 399 jump is for every Skyline
This is the first car that will be making the jump from level 299 to 399.
It is EA though, to be fair. So we really shouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the case. :lol:

Could be interpreted as just that the Eddie's version is 2015+Payback reward, but the 399 jump is for every Skyline

It is EA though, to be fair. So we really shouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the case. :lol:

I thought the upgrade was exclusive to Eddie's Skyline, so I changed the wording of my comment. It hasn't been made clear if the regular R34 is changing, but there sure would be a massive backlash if it didn't! :scared:

I like what I've been reading about the various updates - but I really wanna wait for the "complete edition" that most EA-published games get, like the various Battlefield games, DICE-Front 1, and NFS Rivals. I'm not very interested in getting it at the moment where I'd need to buy all the paid DLC separately (especially since the deluxe edition only covers the first paid DLC) but like I said, I do like what I'm reading. Like the added events in AllDrive, the additional cars and parts, some of the QoL changes, added SpeedList modes, and so on. I think it'll be a game that's worth around fifteen more points on its MetaScore once it's obtained all its updates. Until a "complete edition" is confirmed, I'll definitely be watching, at least.

Okay I’m confused... there are three pieces of DLC in the PS store. A Trans Am/DB5 bundle, then a T/A superbuild and a DB5 superbuild. Do I have to buy all three to get all the content?

I guess the basic question is - can you upgrade the cars to superbuilds just by purchasing the bundle and doing performance upgrades or do you have to buy the superbuild add-ons as well?

Hoping the superbuild add-ons are just shortcuts...

Edit: Okay, I bought the bundle for $4.99, you get both cars and after you upgrade a car to level 300 you unlock the superbuilds just like the derelicts. :D:tup:

Last edited:
Having trouble winning the Silver Offroad Offroad Sprint race or whatever.. my car is Level 255 and recommended Level is 220 yet I still have troubles winning.

Having trouble winning the Silver Offroad Offroad Sprint race or whatever.. my car is Level 255 and recommended Level is 220 yet I still have troubles winning.

Firstly, I'd suggest turning down the difficulty down to Easy.

Alternatively, make your way to the back of the pack during the race then with just over a mile left to go, use nitrous to boost your way to the front. The rubber banding effect will make the AI very slow and by the time you get to the front, the rubber banding wouldn't have adjusted quick enough for the AI to catch up before the finish. It also helps if your build has nitrous and accelartion perks.

Guess who finally got into the NFS scene! Loving the game so far. Haven't done much, but got a decent garage (Race spec S2000, Offroad STi, Drag Volvo 123 and Runner Mustang Derelict).
Let us know how you go. You'll find the game a better balance for an EA game. The grind is fair and the spend is minimal.

No update this month but reassuringly, the plug on the game hasn't been pulled yet and there's more content to look forward to.
akzz2ho4ghs01.jpg

I suspect Payback will be supported for a good while yet as EA need a cash cow to milk and Payback is it (well one of them). 2015 was pretty worthless by way of added revenue for EA as there were no Micro Transactions and minimal content compared to Payback. 2015, in hindsight, seems to have been the canary in the coal mine and now Payback is the start of the resource being mined. We'll get plenty of new (basic) paid content for a few years yet before the next NFS (maybe on this gen or next).

I suspect Payback will be supported for a good while yet as EA need a cash cow to milk and Payback is it (well one of them). 2015 was pretty worthless by way of added revenue for EA as there were no Micro Transactions and minimal content compared to Payback. 2015, in hindsight, seems to have been the canary in the coal mine and now Payback is the start of the resource being mined. We'll get plenty of new (basic) paid content for a few years yet before the next NFS (maybe on this gen or next).

Given how NFS No Limits is still receiving regular updates, I'm also inclined to believe that micro-transactions and premium content add-ons should lead to an extended post-release support period. Although if there is no season pass, things could get expensive later down the line. :scared:

NFS No Limits is a slightly different model though. It primarily works on Micro Transactions and added content to make money as the initial content is free. It seems to be geared for expansion. NFS Payback is paid content from the outset. Microtransactions are no longer the primary focus (still a major focus but after Battlefront 2 it has been redressed). Paid DLC has been brought back to the fore with Micro Transactions now in a better place of an alternative instead of being the 'best' (being very figurative) way to complete and/or progress the game. The balance of NFS Payback has been a god send as I actually enjoy the mix of grind to casual time wasting in this game. Micro Transactions aren't forced or promoted. Paying for new content hasn't been the worst either as the prices aren't too restrictive, and the latest seems to be brand new (Speed Cross was meant to be deluxe content initially iirc). Anything that was meant to be included from the start, like Multiplayer, has been added for free so no real argument except to say what kept you Ghost/EA. All in all I'm very interested in the direction Payback goes. I'd like to see an expansion to the events such as Touge, High Score and Train Drifting, Some Gymkana, Time Trials and Performace Restricted Events are needed as well as Knockout style events. Add to that the obligatory nest of cars, new mods and the uprating of some existing cars (even add in a few new super builds, derelicts and abandoned cars), not to mention possible map expansion and EA/Ghost could have one hell of a money spinner that will not only net a fair income without Micro Transactions (which will still rake in a steady amount), but give them time and scope to create an even more rounded NFS for the next gen consoles (provided EA don't let their avarice get the better of them again).

I'm actually surprised by the news of another, bigger update. Apart from a few further bug fixes, I have gained the impression that the game had run its course. I'm still playing it actively, however, so I'm excited about the news.

I have still yet to try MP mode, but after watching a video about it online, I feel like it would only make me rage-quit. It seems to me that the biggest room for improvement they could make is with the MP side of things. Although I would welcome any additional SP content they come up with.

I have still yet to try MP mode, but after watching a video about it online, I feel like it would only make me rage-quit. It seems to me that the biggest room for improvement they could make is with the MP side of things. Although I would welcome any additional SP content they come up with.

Realistically, the only way Multiplayer can be saved is if AllDrive stage 3 gets rid of the deadness surrounding online freeroam. Implementing some unique game modes like team police chases or even some party modes taken from the Forza Horizon series and GTA V would increase long term appeal massively.

^^^ I was also thinking about the abundance of dirty racing in speedlists and overpowered cars. For the record, I have no issues with Payback putting cars in certain performance tiers, but it makes no sense not to make speedlists based on those tiers.

Anyone remember the interior discussion, by any chance?
3ts03qon.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Need_For_Speed_5_08.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

unknown.png

And in some cases moments of clipping apparently

Granted, a lack of interior views is far from Payback's biggest problem

Back