Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 735 comments
This new handling model on the Audi vehicles are a step up from the other cars. I say it's about as close to Hot Pursuit 2010's handling. Drifting a mostly Grip car doesn't snap the car sideways, which I found to be kinda weird to begin with. It feels so smooth, like I have more control of the cars than I have with the others. If they update the rest of the cars to this new handling model, I think they should totally stick with it for the next entry. They all feel great.

As for the new Playlists, ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶p̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶g̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶R̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶f̶f̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶C̶l̶a̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶S̶+̶ ̶r̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶S̶+̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶l̶i̶s̶t̶.̶ ̶B̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶,̶ I like this change a lot better. I no longer have to hope for players in the Free Roam to join races as I can get matches with 7 to 8 other players every minute or 2 is so much better than it was before.

The Rank and Speed Passes are pretty cool. They're a grind, but I am currently at Rank 41 and Level 39, so I'm about halfway finished the Pass. Definitely gonna play this game more as I get home, so I can try to grind the rest of the rewards.

Overall, I really love this Volume. It really gave the game a revival on PvP that I have been wanting for a very long time in Heat and this game. I haven't played the Single Player again after this new update, so I really can't say anything on that, but as for the Multiplayer, it's great! Definitely can't wait for the rest of the Volumes to arrive. Volume 6 is enough for me to keep on playing!

EDIT: Looks like Playlists changes weekly now. Looking forward to seeing what new Playlists we get and hope they're more than just S+ class races

Last edited:
I just tried online yesterday and wow, I like that even if you came in second, you still get decent money. Plus, Linkups are fun too.

I also love how the cars we won in story mode is also in the online garage, even our first car with Yaz.

Last edited:
Looks like they do change the Playlists weekly. This week is celebrating Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed.

10/10 Best NFS game for me.
IMG_20240304_230224_403.jpg

Last edited:
I came back to play this because of the playlists and that's exciting and all, but online racing seems to be difficult for me. People are really blowing me out of the water, guess because they played around with their vehicle a lot more. but that's ok, im still having so much fun racing.

I came back to play this because of the playlists and that's exciting and all, but online racing seems to be difficult for me. People are really blowing me out of the water, guess because they played around with their vehicle a lot more. but that's ok, im still having so much fun racing.
Yeah, given Unbounds age, most people who have stuck around have figured out the optimal cars and builds, as well as figuring out how to tune a car for maximum performance in a class, and racing techniques like micro-drifting, and using Burst Nos to take corners with much higher grip and speed than normal.

There's actually quite a bit that goes into building cars for PvP, but one thing to keep in mind with Unbound is that the game places a significant amount of weight on a cars Top Speed stat when it pumps out a PI number. Having too high of a top speed can be a major detriment when it comes to overall performance, because you lose points that could be put into other performance parts that boost acceleration and handling. For a lot of cars, it may be worth it to downgrade the transmission in order to lower Top Speed, but this also depends on the car in question, which engine you're using, and what class you're building for.

While there are definitely exceptions within each class, and the track you're racing plays a major role, these are the "ideal" Top Speeds for each class in PvP:

• Class B: 130-140 MPH (210-225 KPH)
  • Class A: 150-170 MPH (240-275 KPH)
  • Class A+: 165-180 MPH (265-290 KPH) for most normal races, and at least 190 MPH (305+ KPH) for the Highway Speed Races.
  • Class S: 180-205 MPH (290-330 KPH), though there are some specialized builds under 180 that are strong on short and corner-heavy tracks.
  • Class S+: Ideally at least 230 MPH (370KPH), though there are some cars and builds under 230 that can work very well depending on the track.
Also, you should 100% get the Koenigsegg Regera the moment you unlock it in PvP. It's by far the fastest and most busted car in S+, and in the entire game for that matter, so it's a must-have to counter other Regera pilots.

To go along with NotThePrez, the Regera is absolutely beatable in something other than a Regera IF the Regera driver is not very good, if you are very good, or if it does not suit the track well. I have been able to beat them in a couple of different cars, but usually not on pace alone. If they crash alot, if the track is super technical (the S+ endurance race is a good example), or by just not making mistakes/hitting traffic cars.

You can def. tell the difference from someone playing somewhat regularly since launch vs. someone who has recently picked the game up when playing online.

I will say, don't quit races, even if you are getting smacked around. You still earn money and xp from finishing out a playlist, even if you don't win it. That is helpful early on while doing challenges to unlock cars/grinding for money for cars/upgrades/garage upgrades.

I really want to like this game but I just can't. It doesn't represent car culture properly and the physics aren't that good because they lack involvement and connection with the player. The physics don't have to be the most realistic per se, but adding some more feedback will improve the experience. I don't want my car to float around on top of the road, I want it to grip the road surface like the old games. Need For Speed is mediocre at best nowadays, which I think is a real shame because it used to be a juggernaut franchise. The game can be great if it just focused on cars and modifying, as they tell the stories alongside the people who own them. I get the feeling that the characters are egotistical and don't really care about their ride or the community they're in. Car enthusiasts aren't like this at all. Forza Horizon does a better job when it comes to this sort of stuff so it's no wonder soo many people enjoy it. Yes, it should be a celebration, not some dirty street hustle run by narcissists.

Last edited:
I really want to like this game but I just can't. It doesn't represent car culture properly and the physics aren't that good because they lack involvement and connection with the player. The physics don't have to be the most realistic per se, but adding some more feedback will improve the experience. I don't want my car to float around on top of the road, I want it to grip the road surface like the old games. Need For Speed is mediocre at best nowadays, which I think is a real shame because it used to be a juggernaut franchise. The game can be great if it just focused on cars and modifying, as they tell the stories alongside the people who own them. I get the feeling that the characters are egotistical and don't really care about their ride or the community they're in. Car enthusiasts aren't like this at all. Forza Horizon does a better job when it comes to this sort of stuff so it's no wonder soo many people enjoy it. Yes, it should be a celebration, not some dirty street hustle run by narcissists.
I find it strange when people say Unbound or even modern NFS in general doesn't represent car culture, yet praise Forza Horizon when FH itself doesn't really go that deep about cars. FH is more about being popular or having fun from the games I played. NFS goes a little more into the cars than FH imo. Doesn't matter which story, they all focus on the cars from time to time. But if you're just gonna have a story about cars and cars only, then it's best not to have a story as Hot Pursuit 2010 is pretty much just that; each car with their own fun facts about them.

Unbound is a street racing game. I think it represents car culture pretty well. Especially the meetups and illegal street racing. From my area, I usually see a group people with their tuned up cars parked in an empty parking space, chatting, and playing music. Some even dared to have a street race on an nearly empty road during the midnight hours.

Last edited:
I find it strange when people say Unbound or even modern NFS in general doesn't represent car culture, yet praise Forza Horizon when FH itself, doesn't really go that deep about cars. FH is more about being popular or having fun from the games I played. NFS goes a little more into the cars than FH imo. Doesn't matter which story, they all focus on the cars from time to time. But if you're just gonna have a story about cars and cars only, then it's best not to have a story as Hot Pursuit 2010 is pretty much just that; each car with their own fun facts about them.

Unbound is a street racing game. I think it represents car culture pretty well. Especially the meetups and illegal street racing. From my area, I usually see a group people with their tuned up cars parked in an empty parking space, chatting, and playing music. Some even dared to have a street race on an nearly empty road during the midnight hours.
The thing I don't like about Need For Speed Unbound is that the characters are condescending and hostile. Car enthusiasts are not the sort of people to act like this in my experience. Even those at "illegal" meets are just a group of friends hanging out, and I genuinely feel that Need For Speed 2015 best represents this. Also, some of the modifications you can make are completely over the top and not likely to be reproduced in the real world.

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about Need For Speed Unbound is that the characters are condescending and hostile. Car enthusiasts are not the sort of people to act like this in my experience. Even those at "illegal" meets are just a group of friends hanging out, and I genuinely feel that Need For Speed 2015 best represents this. Also, some of the modifications you can make are completely over the top and not likely to be reproduced in the real world.
NFS is about cop chases, its near impossible to make realistic game with car chases in modern setting. So, some things must be exaggerated, but esthetics are there.

NFS is an arcade game, it doesn't need to have anything super realistic. Its all for game play. The physics, while not perfect, are easy to learn but hard to master. There are certain thins you can do to really maximize your grip and speed through a corner.

As far as reflecting car culture, I've been out of the scene for a few years now, but the meets I went to both locally, and for shows, that all involved street racing was not the nicest group of people. Yeah you could have a conversation with them, but as soon as you starting asking about how much power a car made, if they could pop the hood, etc. etc., everyone got real cagey and defensive and would just tell you to put your money where your mouth it. The real street racers with high power cars would def. talk some trash vs. the people who were there just to hang out or had slower cars.

Lastly, comparing NFS to FH is apples and oranges. On one hand, you have a much smaller game with a smaller scale, but much more personality, weather you like it or not is a different conversation but NFS, esp. Unbound has a certain style, swagger, and personality to it. FH is a much larger game, with hundreds of cars, and hundreds more that no one really cares about, while also being fairly cookie cutter and flat. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it obviously is super popular and has tens of thousands of daily players. But there is no real personality to it. FH5 has a limp handshake and beige pants. - These are personal feelings, I have played every single mainline FM and FH game, and the series has not been able to improve upon itself in the last several iterations. FH5 is just FH4 but in Mexico and without the real weather changes of the seasons

Today, I found a way to drift the cars in a way where the game doesn't snap them into oversteering or lock out of drift when letting off the gas. In my experience in playing these modern NFS games, Unbound pushes throttle control at you so much that I think Brake/Gas to Drift can actually mess up your drifting or trying to initiate a drift when coming to a corner. This doesn't make the cars always drift too as I also can grip pretty well with drift heavy vehicles. Tested this on the 180sx, Polestar 1, MX-5, Eclipse, and the Fairlady Z (A to S class cars). Might not work for every car, but it's about as close I can get them to feel almost like the Audi vehicles.
  1. Pick a car. Doesn't matter which to pick.
  2. Use Road, Drift, or Off-Road tires. Grip tires will not make the cars drift.
  3. For the handling, slide the Grip/Drift slider all the way to its max Drift.
  4. Set the Steering Stability to -5. If the car feels too grippy, set it to 5 or any number you feel the most comfortable.
  5. Set the Downforce to 5. Not sure if Downforce actually affects the car but getting it high says it makes the cars corner better, so I went with it.
  6. Turn Traction and Brake/Gas to Drift off.
I found this feels so much better than actual B2D. It's a better B2D than the actual one imo. Would recommend giving this a try.

Last edited:
NFS isn’t supposed to realistically replicate car culture, and quite frankly it never has been about car culture. It’s always been more about spectacle in terms of the racing and the car customization. Hot Pursuit, Underground and Most Wanted are all like this too. I’m not knocking on the games here; the spectacle of street racing, supercars, and bonkers customization is precisely what makes the gameplay fun. So what if the customization is over the top? That’s the point!

I think too many people forget that video games are designed to create a fantasy of something. They rely on the player’s suspension of disbelief much in the same way novels and movies do. Racing games, especially NFS, are no different in that regard.

Last edited:
NFS isn’t supposed to realistically replicate car culture, and quite frankly it never has been about car culture. It’s always been more about spectacle in terms of the racing and the car customization. Hot Pursuit, Underground and Most Wanted are all like this too. I’m not knocking on the games here; the spectacle of street racing, supercars, and bonkers customization is precisely what makes the gameplay fun. So what if the customization is over the top? That’s the point!

I think too many people forget that video games are designed to create a fantasy of something. They rely on the player’s suspension of disbelief much in the same way novels and movies do. Racing games, especially NFS, are no different in that regard.
Need For Speed obviously isn't my thing then because I want some degree of realism in the games I play.

Last edited:
Need For Speed obviously isn't my thing then because I want some degree of realism in the games I play.
Then Grid might be just the thing you would enjoy. It's in between arcade and simcade. There's a couple of sim mechanics you can use to give it some sort of realism. Stuff like damage actually taking affect of your car's performance and handling.

Find yourself a copy of Race Driver: Grid, Autosport (pretty simcade), or Legends. Avoid Grid 2 of you don't want very arcadey gameplay and also avoid 2019 for being pretty barebones.

Last edited:
Today, I found a way to drift the cars in a way where the game doesn't snap them into oversteering or lock out of drift when letting off the gas. In my experience in playing these modern NFS games, Unbound pushes throttle control at you so much that I think Brake/Gas to Drift can actually mess up your drifting or trying to initiate a drift when coming to a corner. This doesn't make the cars always drift too as I also can grip pretty well with drift heavy vehicles. Tested this on the 180sx, Polestar 1, MX-5, Eclipse, and the Fairlady Z (A to S class cars). Might not work for every car, but it's about as close I can get them to feel almost like the Audi vehicles.
  1. Pick a car. Doesn't matter which to pick.
  2. Use Road, Drift, or Off-Road tires. Grip tires will not make the cars drift.
  3. For the handling, slide the Grip/Drift slider all the way to its max Drift.
  4. Set the Steering Stability to -5. If the car feels too grippy, set it to 5 or any number you feel the most comfortable.
  5. Set the Downforce to 5. Not sure if Downforce actually affects the car but getting it high says it makes the cars corner better, so I went with it.
  6. Turn Traction and Brake/Gas to Drift off.
I found this feels so much better than actual B2D. It's a better B2D than the actual one imo. Would recommend giving this a try.
I always use road suspension and tires with 30% drift slider, found them to be quite compatible with my style. The Foxbody in particular feels so good to use for me with that setting.

Back