Need help on Tsukuba's 100R Turn 11...

• Thread starter jizzmirk
  • 16 comments
Snaykinn
Snaykinn
Okay...trying for gold on Test 37. I've been at it for about 2.5 hours over the past 3 days. I'm calling it a night after about an hour and 45 minutes. My thumb is about to fall off and I am starting to LOATHE the new Evo 8.

I've been studying Arwin's replay as well as the guide replay. In most cases, I can string along times that are within .05 seconds of the guide time on Splits 1 & 2. And every so often I get really close to Arwin's first two split times as well.

But I think my run falls apart on Turns 11 and 12. This is the big corner before the finish line. It's a 100R that shrinks to a 90R turn.

I've got the same exit speed at Turn 10 (end of the hairpin before the back straight) as the replays, but I am having the darndest time getting the 100R turn right. It's not too off, but my best time to it so far is 1'06.750 exactly. I've been trying to smooth out the turn, but the understeer really goes against my driving style (because I have to force myself to stay off the throttle longer than I'd like to) - so the turn-in is harsh, the braking is never consistent and the line doesn't look too good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...especially by my thumb. :)

I'm struggling with this one as well, I know what you mean about the understeer. On a circuit like Tskuba understeer is a *****.

Where is arwins replay?

Basically you brake late and high into the turn, then make an ever widening arc that runs over the last half of the cubrs towards the finish line. You have to find a good line of accelleration from the brake point, where the main technique is to accellerate as much as possible. Tap the brake if you lose the arc/line, this will make your nose come back into the turn and allow you to finish the arc easier and faster.

I found it a really hard one as well, so don't feel bad. ;) My vids had to go offline today after an extended period of up to 6GB per day (glad I'm not paying ;) ) but I'll post an x-port replay and/or a smaller version later on. Do you guys use the Japanese version or the Chinese version?

I have the chineese/asia version.

Yeah, I think an X-Port replay would be usefull then I have something to chase.

That would be great!

I'm running the Japanese Racing Pack version (I don't know if that's any different than the Japanese version that's sold without the PS2).

I'm glad I got the video when I did. I guess I'll have to get an X-port now. :)

Arwin, when you started into the 100R turn and got into that accel off 4 wheel drift, was that intentional? I've notice that by making the Evo drift a bit tends to give you a better line, but I've yet to do it consistently on command.

And I assume that when you are talking about tapping brakes to get a better line, you're talking about left foot braking. If so, I'll have to work on that - simulating accurate left foot braking is a chore with the DS2.

BTW, thanks for your help.

I'm struggling as well. My best is 1'07:1xx. I think breaking into a drift is the best way for that last turn, the gold replay does it.

I have only 3 purple section golds left to get that HSC!

Yes, left foot braking for sure. I drive the wheel but DS2 drivers tap the brake with the upper part of their thumb while the lower part keeps the accel pressed.

YES!!! Finally got 1'06.552! Got other 2 golds as well and the HSC is beautiful! Faster than I thought it would be.
Just 1 more gold to get the last car, it is the NSX slalom test. I'm stuck at 17.200. Any suggestions?

Update: Nevermind, nailed it at 16.688! All bonus cars are mine!
That Suzuki really rips.

I got gold! Blasted test! So right after I golded this test, I got gold for the next three with ease! The irony.

I'm working on the Delta test right now. It's the only one I have left. I'd love to get a hold of Flinx's replay - 4+ seconds UNDER the gold time...good lord.

Just an aside...

Sounds like GT4 has very realistic car performance - a laptime of 1:06:55 for the Evo 8 at Tsukuba compares well with laptimes from the races on the "Best Motoring" videos(eg: 1:07:10 for Evo 6 GSR).

I think 8400 started a thread (with a little suggestion from me :)) that had us comparing the real JGTC times on Fuji to the times that we put up.

Our times compared to the actual pro times were very similar (with the exception of Flinx who put us all to shame).

justin, just read your response, I was about to advise the folks who are struggling to watch BM videos!!! Played tsukuba for the first time, and I "knew" the track thanks to the BM clips! AWSOME!

Don't forget diablo - that pretty much goes for all the tracks that we play on Gran Turismo. I'm pretty sure that most of know all the tracks that we've raced on in the games.

I memorized Suzuka from MotoGP and flew through it on another racing game without a hitch. Plus it's a blast watching a race on TV on a track that you already know.

Which test number was that - and on what course? If you remind me, I might be able to give you some helpful hints. But otherwise, I'm at work and hints may have to wait until I get home.

OK...double checked it. It's Test 28 using the big radius turn, the straight and the first hairpin of Fuji Speedway.

The key to getting gold on this one (or just finishing it) is to get the line correct from the start. Follow the blue RX-8's line when round the first big bend. Try to keep the the lead car in the center of your screen.

This sets up the draft which let's you slingshot past (if you're going for gold, you'll shoot by before you get to Fuji's Start/Finish line). Then simply take the next hairpin conservatively and you'll the cross the test's finish line with no problems.

It also helps to start braking for the hairpin early (before the tire/braking marks on the track).

Back