Never Played Gran Turismo, Forza Fan. Sell me on it.

• Thread starter Qotisfiya
  • 35 comments
Never played it, had a friend rave about how good the GT series was years ago but just never gave in. Always been a Forza Fan since FM2. Could someone give me reasons why I should buy the PS5 and jump into the GT series ? I’m quite intrigued from what I see on this forum.
The thing that sets GT7 (and other GT multiplayers) apart from all other sims, is close racing.

On all sims I've played there is always a huge spread of the field because the cars are anything from tricky to plain hard to drive. But the in GT games driving is easy, so you can concentrate on battling, strategy and going as fast as you can. This makes races incredibly close and most are won by a good overtake or strategy, not by a mistake.

I play it to have close races and that's tough to find anywhere else unless you are very good (like top 1% of players) and the rest of the field is evenly matched.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I would have thought that 40 years later, and after 25 years as a top line "racing" game, they might have evolved the game play a bit more.
You keep saying this, but you're not saying how. How do you propose any game developer "evolve" cars racing on a track?

And don't say "make the AI more than rolling chicanes," because the higher-level "chili" races in GT already demonstrate that they've done that.

Unless you're delibertately being obtuse, and are trying to say that GT7's game play is no more advanced than that of Gran Prix, in which case you're just being stupid for stupidity's sake.

Last edited:
You keep saying this, but you're not saying how. How do you propose any game developer "evolve" cars racing on a track?
How? Is this a real question? First, you have the incorrect assumption that GT has "cars racing on track"

Racing is defined as being a competition. In GT single player, you are not in competition with the other cars on track. In Sport Mode, you are, but in single player, you are not.

I could literally write a book on the number of examples among driving games that have put decent game play into their single player over the past several decades.
And don't say "make the AI more than rolling chicanes," because the higher-level "chili" races in GT already demonstrate that they've done that.
Nope - The cars are faster, but they still don't race you, or each other. Even if I agree that it's good enough, it's a rare occurrence.
Unless you're delibertately being obtuse, and are trying to say that GT7's game play is no more advanced than that of Gran Prix, in which case you're just being stupid for stupidity's sake.
It is a demonstrably true statement. I even shared a video.

As supporting evidence, scroll through the myriad of "this AI is terrible" type posts from the last 2 decades on this forum.

Here, I'll even throw out just 1 example. Racing a Rival. Have 1 AI rival in the race that starts 1 position ahead of you. That Rival is going to try to win the race, or at the very least, try to maintain a lead over you. Your job is just to beat the rival, with the finishing position requirement being higher every time you run the race.

Here's a bonus. Remove the rubber banding and replace it with AI personalities. They have this tech from GT5's B spec.

As I said, I could write a book on all the achievable possibilities that they are simply not bothering to implement.

I made my decision, I’m pre-ordering the VR headset and buying a PS5. Might as well go out with a bang. Overall, great opinions from you guys.
Don't forget the gt dd pro with the mclaren gt3 v2 wheel and a simlab p1-x cockpit :cheers:

The car models in Gran Turismo 7 are second to none. No other game has every car detail down to a T like GT7 has, none. And this is probably going to be a great sell for those who play with a VR headset. The sounds of the cars are also very true to real life, this from the outside views, for the vast majority of them, only a few oddities here and there. The cockpit sounds however are really amazing, and it's again, another great sell for whoever is going to play in VR.

The Online mode, while not what I play normally, and with still a few issues needing a fix (the way penalties are dealt with, needing more daily races with different categories of cars), is still one of the best you can get on a simcade, if not the best.

The Photo mode, is also second to none. Also not my thing, but I did try it a few times to make my own pics of cars I like in fitting places, and it's really incredible. Probably the best out there.

The game is incredibly controller friendly. It's probably the best racing game among the simcades or above, that can make a person who uses a controller, almost as fast as someone using a wheel. This for me has been one of the best things of any Gran Turismo to date since I don't have the space or the money to spend on a decent enough wheel setting (plus I play other games other than Gran Turismo so the wheel can't be in the same place 24/7 unlike what most hardcore racing gamers do).

IF, you are a mostly single player/campaign completionist type of player, then I suggest you wait until either Forza comes out, or even until 2024, because this game is lacking massively in that department in many aspects. OTHERWISE, go for it 100%. Especially now that it's at 40-50€ on most stores (physical disc) so it's a very justified price point unlike the 80€ at launch.

Back