Never Played Gt1 In My Life Got One Sitting In Front Of Me

• Thread starter newbi 30
  • 11 comments
Wow, I envy you. Here's some tips:

If you're completely new to videogame racing, I'd say you should start off with the Arcade section, easy mode. Learn the tracks one by one. Pick a car you feel comfy with and stick to it for awhile. The cars in GT (unlike many other games) tend to have different characteristics and handling qualities so it can be overwhelming at first if you jump from car to car.

When you wanna switch to the simulation portion (where the real game lies) I'd say start off doing the Spot Races. You don't need a license to do these and tho the money is meager, you'll at least be earning something. Buy a front-wheel drive car like a Civic. These are easy to drive, cheap, and once you start earning money they are easy to modify. Use automatic transmission so you can just focus on steering, accelerating and braking.

GT1's license tests are not very beginner-friendly, unlike GT2, so I'd hold off on these till you feel good about simply driving around.

I'm sure you'll get flooded with other tips so I'll just stop here...this is quite enough for now.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Wow, i envy you. Here's some tips:

It will never have the same impact as did it for you. Having (Im guessing so anyway) seen this generations games GT1 will never be as impressive as playing it when it was first released... Still a good game though and worth playing.

Wow you're so lucky starting from fresh. I would agree with the advice given to you by PB, that is a good way to start the game. I can't remember if you need a license in order to compete in the Sunday Cup as that's where I started learning how to race. When you do tackle the license, remember that all golds give you nice little earners and it is worth strving for them, especially the later ones.

FooAtari: You're right! This isn't 1996 anymore. I'm sure that when GT1 was really new and all your friends were getting it, there was a huge collectively addictive impact going on! Still, I didn't start playing GT1 till December of 2003, and I knew very little about Gran Turismo, so I was like whoa. It's cool that newbi30 is starting with game #1 instead of 3 or 4.

TMM: Sunday Cup you need the B license. Clubman & GT I believe you need the A. Yeah, I would pay some good money or give up my pinkie or something to turn back the clock!

Oh btw, newbi...another piece of advice! When you start doing the sim races, save your first replay! It's always a shock to come back and watch it a few months later and see how far you've progressed.

Last edited:
Time to show my age now, I got GT on its release date in the UK. I can clearly remember first reading about it in the mags before release and seeing the first video clips. Like a total sad git, I used to watch the intro video (which was on an OPSM demo disc) almost every day in the weeks leading up to release.

At the time the PS had nothing like it, a true driving game for road cars, with so many tracks and cars, heaven for a total petrolhead like me.

Since then I have been luck enough to get every game in the GT series on its day on release (including GT:C, GT4 Prologue and the BMW demo), the first one got me hooked and over 7 years later here I am.

Regards

Scaff

Parnelli Bone
Oh btw, newbi...another peice of advice! When you start doing the sim races, save your first replay! It's always a shock to come back and watch it a few months later and see how far you've progressed.

Ohh yeah I forgot to add that. I used to have a collection of replays of my first racing days including 1 where I did a donut in an MR2 on the last lap losing from first to last and then gained first on the final straight. Ahh the memories.

First ever time to play Gran Turismo? You will love it once you get into it. It's not hard as you might think. Follow PB's advice for starting out and you should do fine. I jumped right into Simulation mode to check out all the cars. I think once you get a hold of a GTO Twin Turbo(aka Mitsubishi 3000GT) and mod it to the fullest that should help you knock out quite a bit of the big races(it did for me).

Scaff
Time to show my age now, I got GT on its release date in the UK. I can clearly remember first reading about it in the mags before release and seeing the first video clips. Like a total sad git, I used to watch the intro video (which was on an OPSM demo disc) almost every day in the weeks leading up to release.

At the time the PS had nothing like it, a true driving game for road cars, with so many tracks and cars, heaven for a total petrolhead like me.

Since then I have been luck enough to get every game in the GT series on its day on release (including GT:C, GT4 Prologue and the BMW demo), the first one got me hooked and over 7 years later here I am.

Regards

Scaff

Sounds like me also, but I read through the mags in the library for anything new and browsed the internet. When I got it a few weeks after release I found that my PS was always on. I think that game started my gaming through the night habit.

TMM mentioned a replay of doing donuts at the end of the race. I think GT1 is the only GT game to ever replicate donuts how they really look. They have never been right ever since. Even if you buy a LSD in the new games it still doesn't behave right, I do better donuts in a 82 Corolla with one wheel spinning(open diff?).

Hello...newbi30? Are you still with us?

My first replays were of the Sunday Cup. I think I lost at Autumn Ring, but managed to win at HSR in my black '88 Nissan Silvia! I was lagging behind but somehow in the esses section on lap 2 I got ahead. It's funny to watch--I can tell that back then I barely knew much about how to take a corner.

Me too Scaff, I jumped right into Sim mode. I never even touched GT1 arcade! But then I had owned Empire Interactive's Ford Racing for 3 months before I got GT1, so at least I had some practice.

Last edited:
I also started with Simulation mode, I was introduced by a friend who's now my Brother-in-law into GT and for the first year or so I did nothing but race cars in the Sunday Cup. Earning enough money to mod a Civic, a WRX and an MR2. Then I started racing in the country versus country races where I won the wonderful Cerberra.

I decided to start again and so deleted my old games and saves and concentrated on getting golds and so started with a decent car but I do remember that first year with affection.

Parnelli Bone
Really? That's alot of sunday cups!

Maybe a year was a bit of an exageration but yeah it was a lot of Sunday Cup races, my fav track is High Speed Ring because of doing it so many times.

Back