NeverWinter Nights

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 31 comments
Hello all, I've been involved lately in one of the best RPG's I've played in a very long time. It's called NeverWinter Nights (Duh... you all saw the thread name ;) ) It's an AD&D RPG that has about the best graphics I've seen in a PC RPG, far surpassing Dungeon Siege. Basically It's you and a Henchmen of your choice out to save the world, and not everyone thinks your quite up to the task. Everything I've seen takes place within the confines of a huge city called Neverwinter, but I'm hoping that there will be external areas as well. (Although the city itself is large enough to be a daunting task as it is...)
Here's a Screenshot of my character, and henchman. I wish I could have gone larger, but with the level of detail the game has, even 800x600 shots were much too large to upload here.
If anyone is looking for a good PC RPG in the arena with Dungeon siege, and Baldur's gate then lookm no further than Neverwinter Nights. :)

Attachments

• nwn.jpg
    nwn.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 119
So far the storyline in this game sucks you in, deep! There's about 14 different ways to control your character...:), and the interface is full of logical options. I'm only about an hour into the game, but am excited to venture forward into it.

:cheers:

I finally finished this game - A while ago actually, but I've been occupied with the Aurora toolset that ships with the game.
It's a pretty powerful, and easy to use toolset to make a basic map and populate it with all types of weapons and monsters. Creating the storyline is a tougher bit of business though. I just can't get the hang of the scripting language, if only I had paid more attention back in high school when taking Fortran and Pascal... :blush:
Anyway, here is a screenshot of my custom map. Actually, it's only one of the custom maps. I also have 3 building, 2 levels of a cave and the gates of hell 😈 And I'll probably do a few more levels before offering up to the masses (NWN forums, and Gamefaqs)

Look out for Sir Phillip! He may look like a artistic panzy, but his sword is swift! :)

Nice board Tom, It was rather enjoyable and interesting to play. :cheers:

I saw a preview of this game on TechTV's Extended Play. As soon as I can muster up $50 you can bet it will be to buy Neverwinter Nights. I was hooked as soon as I saw it on Extended Play. Hope it is as great as everyone is saying it is! :eek: Oh, and the graphics rule!! :drool:

Originally posted by ViperConcept
I saw a preview of this game on TechTV's Extended Play. As soon as I can muster up $50 you can bet it will be to buy Neverwinter Nights. I was hooked as soon as I saw it on Extended Play. Hope it is as great as everyone is saying it is! :eek: Oh, and the graphics rule!! :drool:

I was hooked way before I saw it on Extended Play. That show kicks ass.

I just bought this game today. I only played with it for awhile and I must say I am really, really going to enjoy playing this game. :drool:

Originally posted by viper_maniac

I wouldnt mind playin that sometime. ;)

It should be done soon, but every time I say that something comes up to slow down my progress. All the boards are done, almost all of them are populated with monsters and such. Most of my conversations are scripted, but I'm having problems writing the script (not the dialogue, but the actions surrounding it)
Hopefully this week though :)
Here's a link to some more modules:
http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/modules.html

i just bought this game recently. it's bloody awesome!! but, alas it saddens me to say that this game will finally make me dump my Voodoo 5 5500. yes, i still use that dinosaur, but it's just so damn good! and the FSAA is by far my fav feature, and who has the best FSAA? 3dfx :P of course i will put it into another machine so i can still play my 3dfx enhanced games. but blech, i miss it already (and i havn't replaced it yet..lol!).

i think i might grab a Radeon 8500 128MB (non LE). I've read of a BUNCH of issues with the radeon line and NWN, but Ati does seem to be finally cracking down on the drivers so i expect it to be resolved soon. After this i will almost definetly be picking up an R300 when it hits the 0.13 micron process. gonna be sweet :D oh yea, i almost forgot DOWN WITH NVIDIA!! Long live 3dfx!!! 😈

The latest ATI drivers works wonderfully with NWN. This is coming from a 8500, 64mb user as well as trouble shooting knowlege of a 8500 128 (non-LE) user.

Cheers, and have fun...., BTW - need any extra parts for your 5500? I managed to melt mine, a week into my ownership (it was a glorious yet sad week...)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! oh man...thanx Pako, that was hillarious :D

extra parts? i don't know what i would do with them. LOL
i assume if i were to fry somthing on my V5 it would be beyond my skillz to repair. But thank you kindly for the offer...hehehe

I got a Radeon 8500 128MB a few weeks ago. Wow, amazing difference. NWN runs beutifully now, and looks damn good. I also got the added benefit of MAME32 being able to use the radeon for 3d accel, it wouldn't use my voodoo 5 for some reason :(
Anyway, i am extremely happy with this card, and i got it at an awesome price ($110 shipped)!

So now, i have been playin NWN quite a bit. I have collected 2 of the waterdhavien creatures, and am on my way to the black lake district. In the middle of the beggers nest quest i decided to hire a henchmen (been readin that manual finally lol!!). I ended up hiring that bard chick (sharwyn i think). She's pretty good, and she buffs me up so i can kick serious ass. The fight with that Oh'Thai (i think that's what she was...you know the snake lady :P ) was REALLY easy. I hit her maybe 5 times and she died. i was pretty pissed about that, cause the zombies were dorks and the rest of beggers nest was just really easy. Did i mention i have it set on the highest difficulty?!? I don't know what the deal is, but i am not too concerned. I am sure it will get very difficult in due time.

Now about these henchmen, is there anyway i can change thier inventory/equipment? With the current stuff Sharwyn has, she is doing OK. But I don't think she will last very long in black lake or after that. Does she upgrade her armor and stuff on her own?

Me and a friend started 2 play some modules. He runs the server and it's really lag free. Right now we just started the Penultima series. It got crazy reviews from the mod community, so i am expecting to have some crazy fun ;)

Anyone beat NWN yet? is it really 60+ hours of gameplay? It seems reasonable to me with all the endless running around and countless minutes buying and selling. Not to mention the ever increasing conversations. Sheesh. I like this game but i don't think i will be finishing it anytime soon. hehe

LOL, yes it's a great game of which I'm proud to say I finished. The henchmen are self contained. You cannot upgrade their equipment. The only thing as far as upgrading them, if after you level up and their not around, be sure to talk to them and ask them about leveling up. They will match what ever level your at.

Keep on keepin' on....and I'm glad you like the new card. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Pako
LOL, yes it's a great game of which I'm proud to say I finished. The henchmen are self contained. You cannot upgrade their equipment. The only thing as far as upgrading them, if after you level up and their not around, be sure to talk to them and ask them about leveling up. They will match what ever level your at.

Keep on keepin' on....and I'm glad you like the new card. :thumbsup:

Sure you can, you just have to mess with the scripts.... 😈
Progress on my mod has almost halted as I've been learning some C so that I can write proper scripts. I've messed around with the in game scripts a bit just to see how things are being done (I don't plan on learning a whole language just so I can make one mod for a game I haven't played in weeks...)

Arise from you Grave mighty NWN thread!!!!
Well, not so might, but arise anyway.
The Shadows of Undrentide Expansion is about to come out (Thursday :))
Finally I'll install NWN back on my PC and finish my Mod (after I play the new game.)

i've been watching progress on that exp pack a bit. it looks very nice, but i don't think i'll get it. i finished NWN, and it was a good game overall. BUT, it was just SOOO long. I've had enough NWN ;)

Back