New Codemasters Rally Title is DiRT Rally 2.0: Releases 26 February 2019

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 295 comments
I'm really excited to see what CM has been up to after the release of DiRT4. Since they're teasing ''2.0'' it's probably safe to say it's a sequel and continuation of DR. Crossing my fingers for ''hand made'' non-generated rally stages and the full current RX calender and cars.

D4 was such a disappointment for me personally coming from DR. If it wasn't for the fact that it would leave my collection of CMR and DiRT games incomplete, I would've sold it a long time ago.

Last edited:
I don't mind CM going back to a DiRT Rally game, but I'd prefer if it had some flair from the mainline series; the original DiRT Rally felt so sterile and devoid of personality in comparison.

TRD3 was just great fun to pick up and play. Not overly hardcore but still had some sim elements. Strong track and car lists.

TRD2 had a cracking storyline as well.
TRD3 is the only game I've ever played which simulates gravel traps, they actually slow you down and are a bitch to get out of. The different series' were great too.

Would really love a proper Dirt Rally sequel...and given the information they put out after its stronger-than-expected reception, I think we could be in for something good. However, I won't get my hopes up. Even Dirt Rally disappointed in a few areas! :D

My initial hunch it’s a WRC game. But who knows. We’ll see!
This beter has the ENTIRE WRX Calendar and tracks and real life rally stages again because otherwise I’m not even interested in it. I loved the stage rally in Dirt Rally and I loved the rallycross in Dirt 4 but anything other than a full license won’t persuade me to get yet another Codermaster rally game when the 2 titles I mentioned are still fine for my off-roading needs.

I have nothing but the upmost respect for Dirt Rally and enjoyed every minute I had with it. It’s the perfect compliment to GT Sport.

That said I no longer play the original as, tech wise, it’s so far behind the latest driving genre titles. In an era of 4K & HDR we really need this latest Dirt to step up graphically. I’m not asking for it to blow us away, but they really need the enhanced resolution and HDR, to make the most of the assets they have.

I don't really see any need for a new game. It's still great, fixes/updates can be done to the existing game. And honestly, if PD still holds the exclusive license to Pikes Peak, I don't see a reason to buy DiRT without this track.

Is it definitely Dirt Rally 2? Or is it just very likely that it's DR 2? I mean, what else can it be, I don't see them doing anything else with the "2.0".

Either way, looking forward to another rally game from Codemasters. Dirt Rally is my personal favorite (modern) rally game, but it just lacks enough stages to keep me into it long. Dirt 4, however, was a bit of a let down. Not a bad game at all, I was just hoping for Dirt Rally handling physics and the procedural generated stages, while great on paper, wasn't executed so well.

I don't really see any need for a new game. It's still great, fixes/updates can be done to the existing game. And honestly, if PD still holds the exclusive license to Pikes Peak, I don't see a reason to buy DiRT without this track.
While not as famous as Pike's Peak, they can always use the Climb to the Clouds Hillclimb at Mt Washington (New Hampshire, USA) as a substitute. :sly:
header-cttc-web-with-logo-720-by-300.jpg

Last edited:
I would absolutely love a new DiRT Rally game!! I really hope they include a PSVR mode, as the first Rally was fantastic in VR.
I was very disappointed that DiRT 4 didn't, but I suppose with random generated stages, VR was impossible.

I would absolutely love a new DiRT Rally game!! I really hope they include a PSVR mode, as the first Rally was fantastic in VR.
I was very disappointed that DiRT 4 didn't, but I suppose with random generated stages, VR was impossible.

From what I understand (have read in the Codies forum and in industry blogs and interviews) is that Your Stage itself was not the problem for VR. It's the EGO Engine. It's so outdated and inefficient that Your Stage sapped all its power. That's why the graphics in DiRT 4 were a significant step back compared to DiRT Rally. That's also why Codemasters never seems to get everything right in their games. EGO is so limited and ancient that something always has to give: graphics, physics, framerate, damage, effects... It was developed together with Sony way back in the mid-2000's and made its debut with Colin McRae DiRT in 2007. The F1 series also is suffering from EGO's limitations (screen tearing, odd color palettes, inconsistent functionality of game features, woefully simple, if enjoyable, physics etc...)

So I don't think we will see anything as revolutionary as Colin McRae Rally from Codemasters until they invest in a new engine or move to something like Unreal. Couple EGO's limitations with Codemasters' passion the past few years for producing content-thin titles that are dropped 90 days after launch and there are reasons to not be too optimistic about what's coming. I do hope they prove me wrong and that this new rally game doesn't end up being an over-hyped and under-delivering game like DiRT 4.

I personally would rather see fewer car classes but with correct physics. Both DR and D4 suffer from some glaring vehicle dynamics, grip and aero issues. I would also prefer to see more content stage-wise. DiRT Rally's 280km stage tally is an insult to an otherwise excellent title, especially considering that Milestone and Kylotonn at the time released titles with 500km of unique stages. I would not mind a Your Stage 2.0, but it has to be done right and with the proper investment: more tiles, more types of turns, less monotony and more character.

Last edited:

Dirt rally is nearly 3 years old. That's a need for a new game by today's standards. We get a Forza Motorsport game every 2 years..

I still don't understand how one can hold the "exclusive license" to a public road. Maybe to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb event, but... You can just call it something else?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_International_Hill_Climb

I still don't understand how one can hold the "exclusive license" to a public road. Maybe to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb event, but... You can just call it something else?

The official WRC License does not explicitly freeze public roads to being only in the official game. It covers the cars, the drivers, the rallies and the imagery/sponsors/environment. The special stages in the WRC are part of that environment, so an exact copy of one of those real stages would be infringing on that license. I remember reading in the Codies forum before DiRT 4 was released that Codemasters saw it was a legal grey area and decided not to proceed with any more real WRC stages "just in case". Although that could just be interpreted as an excuse to put Your Stage 1.0 together because Greece is no longer in the WRC and those stages were also scrapped. Remember, though, that DiRT 4 has Spain, Sweden, Wales and Australia which are on the WRC schedule. So the license does not cover countries, it only makes it a legal risk to reproduce real stages that are in the WRC.

The official WRC License does not explicitly freeze public roads to being only in the official game. It covers the cars, the drivers, the rallies and the imagery/sponsors/environment. The special stages in the WRC are part of that environment, so an exact copy of one of those real stages would be infringing on that license. I remember reading in the Codies forum before DiRT 4 was released that Codemasters saw it was a legal grey area and decided not to proceed with any more real WRC stages "just in case". Although that could just be interpreted as an excuse to put Your Stage 1.0 together because Greece is no longer in the WRC and those stages were also scrapped. Remember, though, that DiRT 4 has Spain, Sweden, Wales and Australia which are on the WRC schedule. So the license does not cover countries, it only makes it a legal risk to reproduce real stages that are in the WRC.

Which is why I'd love it if maybe Codies would maybe stop relying on countries that are on the WRC skid for routes, and instead scoured national, local and continental championships for routes. It'd make for something different at least.

Like you said it's a "grey area", not actually firm copyright law. I suspect they know they'd probably be in the right, but they don't want to damage their reputation with the WRC in case of an actual license in the future.

It won't be WRC licensed. What would be nice is if they got old gen cars along with current R5 cars like they did for dirt 4. I would firmly expect this to be a solid sequel following a similar vain to the first with the realism and graphics being dialled up with a more involving career mode and lots of unique but designed stages.

Oh and a full RX season.

Back