New Codemasters Rally Title is DiRT Rally 2.0: Releases 26 February 2019

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 295 comments
Nope as I'm not a game designer ! I just know how good CM are when they are on it. Being a big fan I always hope their next release knocks it out of the park :)

Didn't mean that post to sound so salty

I have been trying to find the info about the licensing. With dirt rally 1 they had some form of license from the WRC which enabled them to use at the time fairly current machinery with the polo, fiesta, mini and Hyundai with official liveries and such. As I understand it whilst WRC can't license countries, codemasters pursuit of realism with dirt rally involves using real stages which can open up a licensing debate, Wales, Finland, Monte Carlo and the acropolis in particular are heavily subject to licensing issues when it comes to the real stages.

This is possibly why it's a bit of an unusual selection. Argentina entry is up in the air for next season, there's no Poland etc so it's easier to use them.

However, I could be wrong. I feel with codemasters there will always be a reason behind the thinking.

I lost interest right there. Monte Carlo, Wales, Finland and Sweden is all I need in my rally game.
I am not satisfied either, i was hoping for a lot more rallies.. up to 10 or at least all the rallyes from dirt and dirt4 from the begininng.

Actually the real Hope (Dream) was the wrc license

Have to say I'm actually a little disappointed to see that they have dropped Your Stage. I thought it had incredible potential and I think it's a shame that they haven't stuck with it and further developed it. That said, the more detailed stages in DR were (and still are) incredibly enjoyable, so if we are getting more of the same then that's fine with me!

As such a big rallycross fan I am pleased to see the expansion on that side. Eight tracks with the possibility of a few more in the two waves of DLC. I hope we get as much of the 2018 roster in the game as possible, would love to see the Megane RX in DR2.0.

Fulvia or GT:censored:embarrassed:H!

3502564_1856_140619_lancia_fulvia_hf1600.jpg.pagespeed.ce.61urEPQ1QN.jpg

I'm one of the few who would've preferred a Dirt 5 over this, but oh well.

MXH
Bloody fantastic news!

I'll miss Sweden though. Shame no snowy location made it in. Oh well.

I just hope they ditched YourStage this time around. That would be a serious deal breaker for me personally.

I think there is a good chance Argentina is a snowy mountain location.

I’m one of the few that likes DiRT4 over DiRT Rally even though DR is a really good game I liked. So I’m with you on this.

I’m sure I’ll preorder 2.0, but like @Pfei said, the stages need to be more varied and not just slice and dice like DR. The only thing that made DR challenging after a while was using faster cars and trying not to wreck them to pieces.

I heard gameplay from the press event is embargoed until Monday
Yeah that's right, we should get gameplay videos, interviews and a bit more information on Monday.

I am hoping that, with a few videos, we might be able to piece together more of the car list.

I would have preferred DiRT 5 too, but it is what it is.

Perhaps Codemasters can have a Forza-like release schedule when they alternate between realistic and arcade titles.

I think there is a good chance Argentina is a snowy mountain location.

I don't think that's likely as it appears to be based around the same region as the WRC so whilst there may be a tickle of snow in real life I find it unlikely it'll be there in game.

I think USA is the most likely snow rally from that list of locations.

Totally not sold on this. Once again the WRX which really bores me to death. Stages are too short and once again it is the same stuff over and over again. The rally locations are nice but not enough. They should have upgraded the DIRT RALLY stages also to be included in this version. Then there are the cars, hmm not sure, again mostly the same stuff. DLC announced, the letdown of DIRT4 which will make me wait for the complete edition this time around.

Totally not sold on this. Once again the WRX which really bores me to death. Stages are too short and once again it is the same stuff over and over again. The rally locations are nice but not enough. They should have upgraded the DIRT RALLY stages also to be included in this version. Then there are the cars, hmm not sure, again mostly the same stuff. DLC announced, the letdown of DIRT4 which will make me wait for the complete edition this time around.

Given that we have only seen one stage, which was nearly 10 minutes long?

Given that we have only seen one stage, which was nearly 10 minutes long?
If that was a "medium" stage rather than a long version I'll be excited.

Wasn't interested in YourStage generally. My take is that I enjoy learning stages in different classes. Good for time trials and fun to learn each car's characteristics and braking points.

Your stage was deffinitely repetitive after a while, but I'd rather learn an entire stave than guess what turn I've seen before is coming up. (Though what am I saying with only 10 hours played of it. :lol: )

It’ll be fun driving the new stages, but I need more information before preordering. Car list, how detailed is the career mode. Initial thoughts it seems kind of low on content, and I am completely backlogged on games at the moment. Never even fully played through DR v1.0 before D4 released. I mean, here’s the list of games I barely have enough time for in no particular order:

DR 1.0
D4
Dakar 18
SLRE
V-Rally 4
GTS
PC2
Gravel
WRC7

For those who couldn't watch the 35 min livestream:

- No VR at launch, but they are listening to feedback. If it's what people want then they'll do it

- There will be tire wear and tire selection

- This game is about simulation unlike Dirt 4. Everything is built toward seriousness like Dirt Rally

- The stages are "bespoke", not generated by Your Stage. They are based on real world locations. They had people do research on location and used satellite data to make sure things are accurate.

- The stage surface evolves over time depending on when you start. If you start first, the surface will be very dusty. The around 5-10th, the surface will be the fastest. Enough of the dust has been brushed off leaving a somewhat clean surface. Then 15 to 150th starting order, the stages become rutted up by earlier cars making it difficult to drive unless you stay in the ruts made by previous drivers.

- There will be daily and weekly challenges. Some variations on themes

- The Peugeot 205 GTI seems to be the only car in the same class as the VW Golf (H2 FWD)

- They already have plans for the next 6 months after the release of the game

- One of the guys in the stream accidentally said the next stage that will be played on stream was South Africa, but obviously that's not in the game. Maybe it was an accidental slip, DLC maybe?

- Crosscarts, Super 1600, RX2 will be included

- 8 Player multiplayer for rally or rallycross, or both in championship format

- 50 cars at launch. From the 1960s to "the modern day". [[Hopefully some recent WRC cars?]]

- Phil Mills is the co-driver

- Spectator mode: watch other players drive when you finish the stage in rally multiplayer. Future spectator modes could be added when more e-sports related things are added

Last edited:
They need to come up with some type of online system that not only ranks players by outright quickest stage and Rally times, but also by how quick you are in the amount of time played.

If I run the same stages over and over again (aka practice them) the less ‘weight’ my time should have. Ranking high in the standings means more if you’ve run a stage 5 times, not 500.

Just a thought.

- The stages are "bespoke", not generated by Your Stage. They are based on real world locations. They had people do research on location and used satellite data to make sure things are accurate.

Nooo....
I really like MyStage in Dirt 4. They should've kept it and improved it by adding more variety. That feature had so much potential.

Nooo....
I really like MyStage in Dirt 4. They should've kept it and improved it by adding more variety. That feature had so much potential.

I think this is a debate that will rumble on and on. Personally I disagree. I think dirt rally's bespoke stages were far more enjoyable and for me more replayable than the dirt 4 generated stages. I'd rather race a real stage or bespoke designed stage than a generated approximation based within a set environment with set corners and parameters. But everyone will have a different opinion.

I also think that Your Stage should be improved. The problem with fixed stages is that after a certain amount of time you get to know all stages by heart. And that takes away the unpredictability of rallying, which in my opinion was one of the strong points of DiRT 4.

I too am disappointed that the my stage feature hasn't been refined for this release. Rallying is not about learning a stage but about being able to go fast relying on your notes to describe what is coming up.
It would be a great feature to be able to drive the stages at slow speed and generate your own pace notes.

All I can say is bring it on. Dirt Rally is the only rally game I've enjoyed since Mobil 1 British Rally Championship in the late 90's, early '00's.

I think this is a debate that will rumble on and on. Personally I disagree. I think dirt rally's bespoke stages were far more enjoyable and for me more replayable than the dirt 4 generated stages. I'd rather race a real stage or bespoke designed stage than a generated approximation based within a set environment with set corners and parameters. But everyone will have a different opinion.
I think you got me wrong there. I don't want the real stages to be replaced by this. I just want MyStage locations to be added in addition, so there are both.

After watching this I bet the codriver calls change with the way you’re driving. Haven’t seen this in any Rally titles thus far. Will be interesting to see.

After watching this I bet the codriver calls change with the way you’re driving. Haven’t seen this in any Rally titles thus far. Will be interesting to see.

My thoughts exactly. It wouldn't make sense for them to record the pace notes in three different situations just for testing.

Back